This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, June 4 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Barenaked Ladies Grinning Streak
- Ben Folds Five Ben Folds Five Live LISTEN (WSJ)
- Recorded during the band's recent reunion tour
- Harold Budd Jane 1-11
- Buika La Noche Más Larga
- Camera Obscura
- Returning for the first time since 2009's strong My Maudlin Career 80, the Scottish indie-pop band enlisted contributors like Neko Case and My Morning Jacket's Jim James for their fifth album, recorded in Portland with producer Tucker Martine (Spoon). Early reviews are fairly good, though not as strong as for past releases.
- Capital Cities In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery LISTEN (NY Times)
- City And Colour The Hurry and The Harm
- Dave Davies I Will Be Me
- Deep Purple Live In Copenhagen 1972 2xCD
- Reissue adds three bonus tracks
- Disclosure Settle LISTEN (Guardian)
- Debut from the buzzy English electronica duo includes their previously released collaboration with AlunaGeorge ("White Noise")
- Filter The Sun Comes Out Tonight
- Eleanor Friedberger
- Half (along with her brother) of the duo Fiery Furnaces, Eleanor Friedberger has been concentrating on her solo career in recent years, with her main gig on hold. Her solo debut, 2011's Last Summer 79, received almost universal praise—and is certainly more accessible than most of FF's work—and this second solo release looks to follow in its predecessor's footsteps.
- Future Bible Heroes
Partygoing LISTEN (Pitchfork; through Tues.)
- One of the numerous ongoing recording projects for Magnetic Fields leader Stephin Merritt, Future Bible Heroes hasn't released an album since 2002's Eternal Youth 67. Partygoing, like its predecessors, is a more synth- and dance-oriented than recent Magnetic Fields output (with music written chiefly by Chris Ewen), and finds Merritt splitting vocal duties with Claudia Gonson (also of Magnetic Fields). Tuesday will also see the new album being released as part of a four-disc box set that includes Future Bible Heroes' entire catalog, including past albums, EPs, and rarities (all remastered).
- GRMLN Empire
- Christian Henson Sinbad: Original Television Soundtrack OST
- Jon Hopkins Immunity
- Houndmouth From the Hills Below the City
- Josef K The Sound of Josef K
- Reissue of live album recorded in 1981
- Killing Joke The Singles Collection 1979-2012 3xCD
- Includes two discs of singles and a third containing rarities
- Lonestar Life As We Know It
- Maine Forever Halloween
- Megadeth Super Collider
- Matthew Morrison Where It All Began
- Sean Nelson Make Good Choices
- Solo album from Harvey Danger frontman
- Portugal. The Man Evil Friends LISTEN (Tumblr)
- Produced by Danger Mouse
- Quadron Avalanche LISTEN (NY Times)
- Queens of the Stone Age
... Like Clockwork
- After a six-year hiatus, the Josh Homme-led band returns this week with their sixth studio album to date. The end result of a rough two-year recording process that saw the departure of drummer Joey Castillo, the new album marks QOTSA's Matador debut, and the album is already receiving strong reviews. The rather eclectic guest roster includes Elton John, Trent Reznor, Brody Dalle, Jake Shears (of Scissor Sisters), Alex Turner (of Arctic Monkeys), and James Lavelle (of UNKLE), while Dave Grohl handles most of the drumming duties, and frequent QOTSA collaborators Mark Lanegan and Nick Oliveri also return.
- Graham Reynolds Before Midnight OST
- Rogue Wave Nightingale Floors LISTEN (Pitchfork; through Tues.)
- Sleeping With Sirens Feel
- Splashh Comfort
- Thundercat Apocalypse
- Co-produced by Flying Lotus
- Various Ghost Brothers of Darkland County OST
- A "southern gothic supernatural musical thriller" featuring original music and dialogue written by Stephen King, John Mellencamp, and T Bone Burnett; performers include Elvis Costello, Rosanne Cash, Sheryl Crow, Neko Case, Kris Kristofferson, Matthew McConaughey, Samantha Mathis, and Meg Ryan
- Various More from Pitch Perfect OST
- Scott Walker Scott: The Collection 1967-1970 5xCD
- UK-only box set includes remastered versions of his first five solo albums, plus a 16-page booklet [3 Jun]
- Gretchen Wilson Under the Covers
- Covers album
- Frank Zappa A Token of His Extreme DVD
- First commercial release of live set recorded for television in 1974
More streaming and downloadable new music
- ALBUM For Years streaming until its 6/11 release at NPR.
- Angel Haze
- TRACK "No Bueno" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Painful Like" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Bass Drum of Death
- TRACK "Crawling After You" streaming at Soundcloud.
ALBUM Bass Drum of Death streaming at 3voor12.
- Boards of Canada
- ALBUM Tomorrow's Harvest streaming once MONDAY 6/3 ONLY (4p ET / 1p PT / 9p UK) at the official site.
- TRACK "Gun" (upcoming single) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Matthew Dear
- TRACK "She's Just That Way" (previously unreleased) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Fuck Buttons
- TRACK "The Red Wing (edit)" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Gold Panda
- ALBUM Half of Where You Live streaming until its 6/11 release at NPR.
- Hodgy Beats
- ALBUM Untitled EP 2 streaming at Soundcloud.
- Hot Chip
- TRACK "Dark & Stormy" (upcoming non-album single out 7/22) streaming at YouTube.
- Hot Hot Heat
- TRACK "Mayor of the City" streaming at YouTube.
- Icona Pop
- TRACK "Girlfriend" streaming at YouTube.
- Jason Isbell
- ALBUM Southeastern streaming at MTV Hive.
- Joey Bada$$
- TRACK "Word Is Bond" (from next week's Summer Knights mixtape) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Dogon Genesis" streaming at YouTube.
- David Lynch and Lykke Li
- TRACK "I'm Waiting Here" (bonus track from Lynch's forthcoming album) streaming at Spotify.
- Pet Shop Boys
- TRACK "Vocal" streaming at YouTube.
- ALBUM Fifteen Quiet Years streaming until its 6/11 release at Pitchfork.
- Surfer Blood
- TRACK "Gravity" streaming at YouTube.
ALBUM Pythons streaming until its 6/11 release at NPR.
- These New Puritans
- ALBUM Field of Reeds streaming at The Guardian.
- John Vanderslice
- ALBUM Dagger Beach (out 6/11) streaming at Paste.
- Laura Veirs
- TRACK "Sun Song" streaming at NPR.
- ALBUM With Love (disc one; out 6/18) streaming through 6/10 at Pitchfork.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Maximum Hedrum (Carson Daly), Scotty McCreery (Leno), Tomahawk (Fallon)
- Tuesday: Divine Fits (Conan), Grimes (Carson Daly), Lady Antebellum (Kimmel), Local Natives (Letterman), LeAnn Rimes (Leno), Savages (Fallon)
- Wednesday: Houndmouth (Conan), Kimbra (Carson Daly), The Lonely Island (Kimmel), Portugal. The Man (Fallon), Queens of the Stone Age (Letterman), The Wanted (Leno)
- Thursday: Broken Social Scene with Feist (Fallon), Capital Cities (Conan), Foals (Carson Daly), Queens of the Stone Age (Letterman), She & Him (Leno)
Recent artist and industry news
- Lou Reed recently received a life-saving liver transplant according to a new interview with his wife, artist Laurie Anderson. - Billboard
The latest music videos
Vampire Weekend, "Diane Young":
Unknown Mortal Orchestra, "From The Sun":
Disclosure, "When a Fire Starts to Burn":
The Lonely Island feat. Robyn, "Go Kindergarten":
Tricky, "Nothing Matters":
De La Soul, "Get Away":
Suede, "Hit Me":
Simian Mobile Disco & Bicep, "Sacrifice":
Ke$ha feat. will.i.am, "Crazy Kids":
In the studio / coming soon
- Nine Inch Nails have signed to Columbia and will release a new album (their first in five years) before the end of the year. Correction: make that a "fucking great" new album. - Billboard
- The previously announced album collaboration between Elvis Costello and The Roots will be titled Wise Up Ghost and released on September 17. - Pitchfork
- L.A. punk duo No Age return August 20th with An Object, their new Sub Pop album.
- Singer-songwriter Laura Veirs also has an album due August 20th; Warp and Weft will feature a guest appearance by Neko Case.
- Anyone hoping for another movie from David Lynch will have to continue waiting. But if all you want is a new David Lynch album, that's coming on July 16. Preview clips from each of the 12 tracks (including a Bob Dylan cover) on The Big Dream now on iTunes, or read an interview with Lynch about the album at Billboard.
- Michael Gira's Swans have a live album and a new studio album planned for the near future. - Consequence of Sound
- DFA will release Joke In The Hole, a solo album from Black Dice member Eric Copeland, on July 17th.
- King Khan & The Shrines make their Merge debut on September 3rd with Idle No More.
- Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings have delayed their upcoming album (and tour) while Jones undergoes surgery for bile duct cancer. - Billboard
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Find dates for Majical Cloudz at Matador.