This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, May 14 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Trace Adkins Love Will...
- ADULT. The Way Things Fall
- First album in six years
- Sam Amidon Bright Sunny South LISTEN (3voor12)
- England's Stephen Wilkinson, who records under the name Bibio, returns Tuesday with another album of pastoral electronica that incorporates his own guitar playing and vocals among the samples and synthetic instrumentation. Silver Wilkinson, his fourth Warp Records release, shows off his folkier, more organic side, veering closer to his pre-Warp debut than his recent releases.
- Big Eyes Almost Famous LISTEN (Spin)
- The Boxer Rebellion Promises
- Classix Hanging Gardens
- Deep Purple Now What
- Devo Live in Seattle 1981
- Dillinger Escape Plan One of Us Is the Killer LISTEN (Pitchfork; today only)
- Dungeonesse Dungeonesse
- Debut for new collaboration between Jenn Wasner (Wye Oak) and Jon Ehrens (Art Department, White Life)
- Eluvium Nightmare Ending 2xCD
- Eve Lip Lock
- The Grammy winner's first album in 11 years boasts appearances from Missy Elliott, Snoop Dogg, Cobra Starship's Gabe Saporta, Miss Kitty, and Dawn Richard
- The Fall Re-Mit
- The band's 30th album (take that, Guided by Voices!) is available on CD only in the UK, but is available digitally in the US [13 May]
- Four Tet Rounds2xCD
- Reissue of 10-year-old album adds a live CD
- Amy Grant How Mercy Looks From Here
- John Grant Pale Green Ghosts LISTEN (Paste)
- The Handsome Family Wilderness
- Pete Holmes Nice Try, The Devil 2xCD
- Comedy album
- Glenn Jones My Garden State
- Kisses Kids in LA
- Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood Black Pudding
- Huey Lewis & The News Sports 2xCD
- 30th anniversary reissue includes the remastered album plus a second disc with live versions of each track
- Demi Lovato Demi
- Christian McBride People Music
- Bobby McFerrin Spirityouall
- Takako Minekawa and Dustin Wong Toropical Circle
- The Japanese artist's first album in 13 years finds her collaborating with Dustin Wong of Ponytail
- MS MR Secondhand Rapture LISTEN (3voor12)
- Peals Walking Field
- Pharmakon Abandon
- The Phoenix Foundation Fandango
- Primal Scream
- Released today in the UK (and on June 18th in the US), the guitar-driven More Light looks to be the band's strongest effort in years. While you shouldn't expect a repeat of their 2000 classic XTRMNTR, this might be the closest they've gotten since, and it reunites the band with two of that album's collaborators: producer David Holmes and guitarist Kevin Shields (of My Bloody Valentine).
- Pure X Crawling Up the Stairs
- R.E.M. Green2xCD
- 25th anniversary deluxe reiusse includes the remastered album and a second disc with a 1989 concert
- Roomrunner Ideal Cities
- Small Black Limits of Desire
- Snowden No One In Control LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- George Strait Love Is Everything
- The country star's 40th studio album
- Vampire Weekend
Modern Vampires of the City LISTEN (3voor12)
- Tuesday brings the third album of slightly strange, everything-but-the-kitchen sink indie rock from New York-based Vampire Weekend. Any fans afraid of a drop in quality after 2008's Vampire Weekend 82 and 2010's Contra 81 need not worry; the first batch of reviews suggest similar praise is in store for Modern Vampires, which was co-produced by Ariel Rechtshaid—the first time the band has worked with an outside producer.
- Vår No One Dances Quite Like My Brothers LISTEN (3voor12)
- Debut from Danish band featuring members of Iceage and Lower
- Various Star Trek Into Darkness OST
- Wampire Curiosity LISTEN (3voor12)
- Wild Nothing Empty Estate EP
- The Wonder Years The Greatest Generation
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Black Flag
- TRACK "The Chase" streaming at YouTube.
- Eric Burdon with Jenny Lewis
- TRACK "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" streaming at YouTube.
- The Child of Lov
- TRACK "One Day" (featuring Damon Albarn) streaming at Soundcloud.
TRACK "Owl" (featuring DOOM) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Daft Punk
- ALBUM Random Access Memories streaming until its 5/14 release at iTunes.
- The Dillinger Escape Plan
- TRACK "Nothing's Funny" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "High Art" (featuring Jay-Z) streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Handsome Family
- ALBUM Wilderness streaming until its 5/14 release at NPR.
- Katy B
- TRACK "What Love Is Made Of" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Man or Astroman?
- TRACK "Communication Breakdown, Pt. II" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Rogue Wave
- TRACK "Siren's Song" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
- TRACK "Retreat!" streaming at Soundcloud.
- These New Puritans
- TRACK "Fragment Two" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Into Distance" streaming at Soundcloud.
- When Saints Go Machine
- TRACK "Iodine" streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Luke Bryan (Letterman), Pistol Annies (Leno), Vampire Weekend (Fallon), White Lung (Carson Daly)
- Tuesday: Drop City Yacht Club (Leno), Kitten (Carson Daly), Phoenix (Fallon), Pistol Annies (Craig Ferguson), The Slide Brothers feat. Shemekia Copeland (Conan)
- Wednesday: Beware of Darkness (Conan), The Flaming Lips (Fallon), Cyndi Lauper (The Colbert Report), Huey Lewis & the News (Kimmel), Brad Paisley (Letterman), Pyyramids (Leno), A Silent Film (Carson Daly)
- Thursday: Dawes (Kimmel), Family of the Year (Leno), Tim McGraw (Fallon), MS MR (Letterman), Pierce the Veil (Carson Daly)
- Friday: Bad Rabbits (Kimmel), De La Soul (Fallon), Kurt Vile (Letterman)
- Saturday: Kanye West (Saturday Night Live)
Recent artist and industry news
- Next year's Grammy Awards will be held in Los Angeles (and broadcast live on CBS) on January 26, 2014, a bit earlier than is the norm (so as not to run against the Winter Olympics).
- Here's a cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity," recorded in space. Literally.
- Watch a short film about the history of DFA Records, narrated by Marc Maron.
The latest music videos
David Bowie, "The Next Day" [starring Gary Oldman, Marion Cotillard] [NSFW]:
The National, "Sea of Love":
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Mosquito":
The Lonely Island, "Spring Break Anthem" [starring James Franco, Zach Galifianakis]:
Foxygen, "No Destruction":
Smith Westerns, "Varsity":
Deftones, "Swerve City":
Editors, "A Ton of Love":
Laura Marling, "Master Hunter":
Gary Clark Jr., "Numb":
Lana Del Rey, "Young and Beautiful":
Kendrick Lamar, "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe":
Mariah Carey feat. Miguel, "#Beautiful":
Young Galaxy, "Fall for You":
In the studio / coming soon
- Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings return with Give the People What They Want (their 5th studio album) on August 6th.
- Superchunk's first album in three years, I Hate Music, will be released on Merge (naturally) on August 20th. Watch a trailer.
- Steve Albini has reunited Shellac to record the band's first new album in six years, which should surface later this year. - A.V. Club
- This week brought more rumors of a potential new Blur album, thanks to comments made by Damon Albarn in Hong Kong. - Billboard
- There are also reports of a new Guns N' Roses album in 2014, but you know how those things go. - NME
- Don't forget to check out our Summer Music Preview for a look at some of the most notable albums coming out between now and August.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Get summer dates for the partygoing Future Bible Heroes gang at Merge.
- Consequence of Sound has summer dates for the Smith Westerns.
- Find dates for Superchunk at Merge.
- Deerhunter's North American tour begins in August. - CoS
- Conor Oberst will tour with Desaparecidos this fall. - CoS
- Though Neutral Milk Hotel's full tour doesn't really get going until 2014, they've added a few more North American dates for 2013. - CoS
- Billboard has summer dates for Mac Miller.
- Fall's Austin City Limits festival (October 4-6, and again October 11-13) will feature Atoms for Peace, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Kings of Leon, Muse, Phoenix, Lionel Richie (!), Wilco, and much more.
- The lineup for the 2013 installment of two-day Los Angeles summer festival FYF Fest will be headlined by My Bloody Valentine and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.