This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, November 12 unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- The Beatles On Air - Live at the BBC Volume 2 2xCD
- Contains a mixture of previously unreleased live recordings and studio conversations taken from BBC broadcasts from 1963-64
- Andrew Bird I Want To See Pulaski At Night EP
- Blue Rodeo In Our Nature
- Counting Crows Echoes of the Outlaw Roadshow LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Live album
- Emerson Lake & Palmer Live in Montreal 1977 2xCD
- Eraas Initiation
- Erasure Snow Globe
- Holiday album
- Forte Forte
- Lady Gaga
Artpop Out Monday 11/11 LISTEN (Spotify)
- The pop star recorded her third-ish LP, following more than two years after Born This Way, while recuperating from a broken hip (which prompted her to cancel her tour earlier this year). The new set includes collaborations with R. Kelly, Twista, Too $hort, and T.I., and has been receiving fairly mixed reviews so far.
- Sebastien Grainger Yours to Discover
- Grizzly Bear Shields Expanded 2xCD
- Expanded version of 2012 album adds a disc of B-sides, remixes, and demos (bonus disc also sold separately)
- Heidecker & Wood Some Things Never Stay The Same
- Second album from the duo of Tim Heidecker and Davin Wood; Aimee Mann guests
- John Hiatt Here to Stay - Best of 2000-2012
- Keane The Best Of Keane
- The Killers Direct Hits
- Greatest hits album includes two new tracks
- Kiln Meadow: Watt
- Cate Le Bon Mug Museum LISTEN (3voor12)
- Less Than Jake See the Light
- Los Campesinos! No Blues
- Mount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas
- Re-recorded tracks (now featuring Auto-Tune!) that first appeared on last year's albums Clear Moon and Ocean Roar
- Night Terrors of 1927 Guilty Pleas EP LISTEN (Spin)
- New band for Blake Sennett of Rilo Kiley
- Daniel Pemberton The Counselor OST
- Phish Niagara Falls 3xCD
- Recorded during 1995 fall tour
- Post Louis This Could Be A Bridge EP
- Psapp What Makes Us Glow
- The Rolling Stones Sweet Summer Sun – Hyde Park Live Various formats
- Features the complete two-hour concert from summer 2013 on DVD, Blu-ray, and/or 2xCD
- Katey Sagal Covered
- Songs: Ohia Magnolia Electric Co. 2xCD
- Expanded reissue of 2003 album adds demos and two previously unreleased tracks
- Soviet Soviet Fate
- Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs Under the Covers, Vol. 3
- Third collaboration features covers of classic songs from the 1980s
- John Talabot DJ-Kicks
- TCTS These Heights EP
- Sébastien Tellier Confection LISTEN (KCRW)
- Throwing Muses Purgatory/Paradise CD+Book
- First album for the college rockers (now without Tanya Donelly) since 2003; includes an art book in addition to the music
- Various 12 Years A Slave: Music from and Inspired By the Motion Picture OST
- Various Inside Llewyn Davis OST
- Includes songs performed by the cast of the upcoming Coen brothers drama, produced by T Bone Burnett
- Various Now 48: That's What I Call Music
- Various Songs For Slim: Rockin' Here Tonight - A Benefit Compilation For Slim Dunlap 2xCD
- Includes tracks by The Replacements, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, and more
- Various We Are Friends Vol. 2
- Deadmau5-produced compilation includes 2 new tracks by the EDM artist as well as work from Kairo Kingdom, James Njie, and more
- The Who Tommy 4xCD
- Four-disc super deluxe edition includes the remastered album, 20 previously unreleased demos, live versions of the album's tracks, and more
- Wooden Shjips Back to Land LISTEN (The Guardian)
- Yeasayer Good Evening Washington DC, Live at 9:30 Club
More streaming and downloadable new music
- The Autumn Defense
- TRACK "None of This Will Matter" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Willis Earl Beal
- TRACK "Babble On" streaming at YouTube.
TRACK "Coriander Tree Life" streaming at YouTube.
- Black Flag
- ALBUM What The... (out 12/3) streaming now via Spotify.
- Blood Orange
- ALBUM Cupid Deluxe (out next week) streaming now via iTunes Radio.
- Peter Gabriel
- TRACK "Courage" (previously unreleased So outtake newly released as a single) streaming at YouTube.
- David Lynch
- TRACK "Bad the John Boy" streaming at YouTube.
- Marissa Nadler
- TRACK "Dead City Emily" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The National
- TRACK "Lean" (from The Hunger Games: Catching Fire OST) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Kele Okereke
- TRACK "Heartbreaker" (from the forthcoming EP of the same name) streaming at Pitchfork.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Avril Lavigne (Conan), Cher Lloyd ft. Skee-Lo (Fallon), Lyle Lovett (Leno), Moon Taxi (Letterman), Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls (Kimmel), White Denim (Carson Daly)
- Tuesday: Capital Cities (Fallon), Childish Gambino (Arsenio), Cults (Leno), The Flaming Lips (Carson Daly), The Killers (Kimmel), Lorde (Letterman; also Live on Letterman webcast)
- Wednesday: Gary Allan (Leno), Sheryl Crow (Fallon), The Killers (Kimmel), M.I.A. (Conan), Thomas Rhett (Fallon), RZA (Arsenio), Tame Impala (Carson Daly)
- Thursday: Robert Glasper Experiment featuring Anthony Hamilton (Arsenio), J Rand featuring Flo Rida (Leno), Lady Antebellum (Live on Letterman webcast streaming at 9p ET/6p PT), Metric (Letterman), Two Door Cinema Club (Carson Daly), Charlie Wilson (Kimmel)
- Friday: Lady Antebellum (Letterman), Johnny Marr (Fallon)
- Saturday: Jim James/The Black Angels (Austin City Limits), Lady Gaga (Saturday Night Live)
Recent artist and industry news
- Here's Laurie Anderson's tribute to her late husband Lou Reed (Rolling Stone).
- Billboard has the winners of this year's CMA Awards.
The latest music videos
Drake, "Worst Behavior":
Ty Segall, "The Man Man":
Destroyer: "Bye Bye":
Deltron 3030: "Melding of the Minds":
These New Puritans, "V (Island Song)":
Yuck, "Lose My Breath":
Cate Le Bon, "Are You With Me Now?":
Anna Calvi, "Suddenly":
Bella Novela, "The Archeress":
In the studio / coming soon
- Drive-By Truckers spent a mere two weeks in the recording studio; the result is a new album coming in March. - Billboard
- Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks will release a new album, Wig Out at Jagbags, in early 2014. - Pitchfork
- David Crosby's first solo set in two decades, Croz, is out January 28th. - Rolling Stone
- January 27 brings a new Actress album, Ghettoville. It's intended as a sequel to the 2008 set Hazyville. - Resident Advisor
- A new Current 93 album, I Am the Last of All the Field That Fell: A Channel, is out March 3rd; guests include Nick Cave and Antony Hegarty. - Pitchfork
- Wilco side project The Autumn Defense will release a new LP, Fifth, on January 28th.
- Where's that new Wu-Tang Clan album that was supposed to arrive this year? RZA tells Grantland that the delay is largely Raekwon's fault.
- Marissa Nadler returns with July, though you won't have to wait that long to get it; it's out on February 4th.
- Donald Glover's second Childish Gambino album, Because the Internet, will be out on December 10th. - CoS
- You can contribute to the recording of a Sparklehorse tribute album, Last Box of Sparklers, that will feature recordings by The Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Mark Lanegan, Phantogram, and more.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Arctic Monkeys will spend December, January, and February touring North America. - Pitchfork
- Miley Cyrus will tour early next year in support of Bangerz. - Billboard
- Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings hit the road in February. - Pollstar
- Kodaline will also launch a U.S. tour in February. - Pollstar
- Paul Simon and Sting have a co-headlining tour set for early 2014. - Pollstar