Editor's Note: Yes, this week's Music Monday is technically published on a Tuesday, but "Music Tuesday" just doesn't sound as good.
This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, October 16 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Jason Aldean Night Train
- Trey Anastasio Traveler LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Anberlin Vital
- Marco Beltrami Trouble with the Curve OST
- Boys Noize Out of the Black LISTEN (3voor12)
- Brandy Two Eleven LISTEN
- Current Swell Long Time Ago
Jiaolong LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- You might not know Daphni, but you may know its sole member: Dan Snaith, the math PhD (really) who usually records under the name Caribou (or, before that, Manitoba). But while Caribou is known for meticulously layered compositions, the minimal techno sound of Daphni is aimed straight for the dancefloor. After a few 12-inch singles released last year (including one split with Four Tet), Daphni's full-length debut Jiaolong arrives this week via Merge, a label not normally known for this type of music.
- Mac DeMarco 2
- Dethklok Dethalbum III
- Contains music from seasons 2-4 of Metalocalypse
- Ramin Djawadi Person of Interest OST
- Placido Domingo Songs LISTEN
- Pop album from opera singer includes duets with Josh Groban, Harry Connick Jr., Susan Boyle, and more
- Jeff Dunham Minding the Monsters
- Comedy album
- Earlimart System Preferences
- CD release
- Donald Fagen Sunken Condos LISTEN
- The Steely Dan member's fourth solo album includes eight originals plus a cover of Isaac Hayes' "Out of the Ghetto"
- Sky Ferreira Ghost EP LISTEN
- A Fine Frenzy Pines
- Rosie Flores Working Girl's Guitar
- Dan Friel Valedictorian/Exoskeleton EP
- Benjamin Gibbard
Former Lives LISTEN (YouTube)
- Death Cab for Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard has been known to take a break from his main band to work on side projects (most notably, The Postal Service) from time to time, but this week's Barsuk release Former Lives is his first ever solo LP. The 12 songs here—which demonstrate a stylistic diversity (including, on one song, a mariachi band) not usually present on Death Cab albums—were written and recorded at various times during Gibbard's career, and while he's performed a few of them live, none have been released previously. Gibbard's Death Cab bandmate Chris Walla is also working on a solo album, though that won't surface until 2013 at the earliest.
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! LISTEN (3voor12)
- First album in a decade from the Canadian instrumental post-rock outfit
- Ben Harper By My Side
- Career-spanning retrospective includes one new song ("Crazy Amazing")
- The Herbaliser There Were Seven
- Hundred Waters Hundred Waters
- The Jim Jones Revue The Savage Heart LISTEN (The Quietus)
- UK only (15 Oct)
- Jamey Johnson Livin' For a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran
- K'Naan Country, God or the Girl LISTEN
- The Luyas Animator LISTEN
- Jason Lytle
Dept. of Disappearance LISTEN
- While sorely missed California indie rockers Grandaddy did reunite this summer for a short tour, it doesn't look like a new album is coming anytime soon. So fans will have to make do with Dept. of Disappearance, the second solo album from Grandaddy frontman and new Montana resident Jason Lytle. Listen to tracks like the title cut, and you'll certainly think you're listening to a Grandaddy record.
- Majeure Solar Maximum
- The Maldives Muscle For The Wing
- Matmos The Ganzfeld EP
- Scotty McCreery Christmas with Scotty McCreery
- Mika The Origin of Love
- Night Moves Colored Emotions LISTEN (Spin)
- Pinback Information Retrieved
- Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Octopus Kool Aid
- Solo album for The Mars Volta/At The Drive In member
- Smoke & Jackal EP No. 01EP
- Tamaryn Tender New Signs LISTEN (Gorilla vs. Bear)
- Chris Tilton Fringe: Season 4 OST
- Times New Viking Over & Over EP
- Various After Dark II
- Italians Do It Better label sampler features new music from Chromatics, Glass Candy, and more
- Martha Wainwright Come Home to Mama LISTEN (3voor12)
- ZZ Ward Til the Casket Drops LISTEN
- Widespread Panic Wood LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Live album recorded during a 2012 acoustic tour
- Win Win Double Vision
- Patrick Wolf Sundark and Riverlight 2xCD LISTEN
- Re-recorded versions of songs from throughout Wolf's career
- Chelsea Wolfe Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Christopher Young Sinister OST
- Neil Young Neil Young Journeys DVD/Blu-ray
- Tour documentary directed by Jonathan Demme
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Trey Anastasio
- TRACK "Clint Eastwood" (Gorillaz cover) streaming at Consequence of Sound.
- ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
- ALBUM Lost Songs (out next week) streaming now at Spin.
- The Babies
- TRACK "Get Lost" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Paul Banks
- ALBUM Banks (out next week) streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Bat for Lashes
- ALBUM The Haunted Man streaming until its 10/23 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Tempest" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Diamond Rings
- ALBUM Free Dimensional streaming this week at Hype Machine.
- Dinosaur Jr.
- TRACK "The Lung" (recorded live in 1987, from a forthcoming concert album) streaming at Soundcloud.
- The D.O.T. [new band featuring Mike Skinner of The Streets]
- ALBUM And That streaming at The Guardian.
- Free Energy
- TRACK "Dance All Night" downloadable from Stereogum.
- TRACK "Wake Up Drill II" streaming at Stereogum.
- Holy Ghost!
- TRACK "It Gets Dark" (new single) streaming at Stereogum.
- How to Destroy Angels
- TRACK "Keep It Together" (from forthcoming An Omen EP) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire
- TRACK "Telephuck," featuring Gucci Mane, streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "So Far So Long" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Beth Orton
- TRACK "Call Me The Breeze" downloadable from KCRW.
- Peter Bjorn and John
- TRACK "I Wish I Was a Spy" (from Yo Gabba Gabba!) streaming at NPR.
- Pig Destroyer
- ALBUM Book Burner streaming until its 10/23 release at NPR.
- Purity Ring
- TRACK "Belispeak II," featuring Danny Brown, streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Pusha T
- TRACK "Pain" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Rolling Stones
- TRACK "Doom and Gloom" (new song from upcoming greatest hits album) streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Rick Ross
- MIXTAPE The Black Bar Mitzvah available as a free download at Pitchfork.
- RZA with the Black Keys
- TRACK "The Baddest Man Alive" (from The Man with the Iron Fists OST) streaming at Fuse.
- Ulrich Schnauss
- TRACK "A Long Way to Fall" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Shiny Toy Guns
- ALBUM III (out next week) streaming this week at AOL.
- ALBUM Mars streaming until its 10/23 release at NPR.
- Taylor Swift
- TRACK "I Knew You Were Trouble" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Titus Andronicus
- ALBUM Local Business streaming until its 10/23 release at NPR.
- Toro y Moi
- TRACK "So Many Details" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Rufus Wainwright feat. Sharon Van Etten
- TRACK "Baby, It's Cold Outside" (from the upcoming Holidays Rule comp.) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Kanye West
- TRACK "White Dress" (from The Man with the Iron Fists OST) streaming at Bandcamp.
- Wu-Tang Clan
- TRACK "Six Directions of Boxing" (from The Man with the Iron Fists OST) streaming at Bandcamp.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Tuesday: Miguel (Kimmel), Ty Segall (Conan)
- Wednesday: Ellie Goulding (Conan), Joe Walsh (Kimmel)
- Thursday: The Killers (Colbert Report), Paul Weller (Kimmel)
- Saturday: Bruno Mars (Saturday Night Live), Bonnie Raitt/Mavis Staples (Austin City Limits)
Recent artist and industry news
- Do you want to listen to any of the BBC's 57 radio stations wherever you go? There's now an app for that ... at least, if you live in the UK.
- Justin Bieber, Drake, Maroon 5, Katy Perry, and Rihanna are the artist of the year nominees for the 40th annual American Music Awards. Rolling Stone has a list of nominees in all of the major categories; winners will be announced in a ceremony telecast on ABC on Sunday, November 18th.
The latest music videos
Jack White, "I'm Shakin'":
The xx, "Chained":
OFF!, "Wrong" [starring Jack Black]:
The Mountain Goats, "Cry for Judas":
Sharon Van Etten, "Magic Chords" [NSFW]:
Matt & Kim, "Let's Go":
Cloud Nothings, "Fall In":
Taken by Trees, "Large":
... And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, "Catatonic":
Neil Young & Crazy Horse, "Ramada Inn":
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, "Child":
METZ, "Wet Blanket":
Yeasayer, "Reagan's Skeleton":
Clinic, "Miss You":
In the studio / coming soon
- German producer Ulrich Schnauss will return with A Long Way To Fall in early 2013. - Resident Advisor
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra will release II, their second album (and first for Jagjaguwar) on February 5, 2013.
- Another autumn, another Rihanna album: This year's entry, Unapologetic, arrives November 19th. - Billboard
- Toro Y Moi has a new album, Anything in Return, due on January 22nd. - Under the Radar
- Ducktails, the ongoing solo side project from Real Estate guitarist Matthew Mondanile, will release The Flower Lane in late January on new label Domino.
- The War on Drugs bassist Dave Hartley will release a second album under his Nightlands moniker on January 22, 2013; the new Secretly Canadian release is titled Oak Island.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The Rolling Stones will celebrate their 50th anniversary later this year with shows in London and New Jersey. - Rolling Stone
- Sufjan Stevens will be spreading holiday cheer—or, rather, his "Surfjohn Stevens Christmas Sing-A-Long: Seasonal Affective Disorder Yuletide Disaster Pageant on Ice"—this November and December; find the dates at Pitchfork.
- The 2013 tour schedule for Muse now includes North American dates stretching from January to April. - CoS
- Keane has a U.S. tour set for January. - Pollstar
- Purity Ring will tour North America in January. - Pitchfork
- Ty Segall has announced a new run of North American dates that kicks off in late January. - CoS
- Trey Songz is hitting the road with Miguel in November and December. - Pollstar
- The already postponed, Jim O'Rourke-curated All Tomorrow's Parties festival that was to be held this year in Tokyo has now been called off. - ATP
- Next spring's Stagecoach Festival (the country music equivalent of Coachella, held at the same Indio location) will be headlined by Toby Keith, Lady Antebellum, and the Zac Brown Band. Get the full lineup at the official site.