This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, April 17 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Allo Darlin' Europe
- Arkells Michigan Left LISTEN (Paste)
- Azealia Banks 1991 EP
- Battles Dross Glop LISTEN (Fader)
- Remixes (by Shabazz Palaces, The Field, Gang Gang Dance, and more) of tracks from Gloss Drop
- Bleeding Knees Club Nothing to Do LISTEN
- Chris Botti Impressions
- Guests include Vince Gill, Herbie Hancock, Andrea Bocelli, David Foster and Mark Knopfler
- Billy Bragg and Wilco Mermaid Avenue: The Complete Sessions 3xCD [out 4/21] INFO
- Box set compiles the artists' two previously released Mermaid Avenue collaborations (each featuring the lyrics of Woody Guthrie) and adds a brand new 17-song album, Mermaid Avenue Vol. III
- Cancer Bats Dead Set on Living
- UK only (16 April)
- Cowboy Junkies The Nomad Series 5xCD
- Box set compiling all four previously released Nomad albums as well as a new disc of unreleased tracks
- DragonForce The Power Within LISTEN
- Dry The River Shallow Bed LISTEN
- Future Pluto LISTEN
- Grateful Dead All the Years Combine 14xDVD
- This massive DVD box set from Shout! Factory includes nearly 38 hours of concert footage from the 1970s, '80s, and '90s. While much has been previously released (though some of the collection, like So Far, is new to DVD), the set includes a new disc with five never-before-released performances.
- Grinderman Grinderman 2 RMX LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Remixes and reinterpretations of tracks from Grinderman 2 by Josh Homme, Nick Zinner, UNKLE, and more
- Grouper A I a 2xCD
- First CD release of Grouper's 2011 self-released two-part album
- Horse Feathers Cynic's New Year LISTEN
- Eric Hutchinson Moving Up Living Down
- Jack Johnson & Friends Best of Kokua Festival LISTEN
- Live benefit concert includes performances by Willie Nelson, Jackson Browne, Eddie Vedder, Ben Harper, Dave Mathews, and more
- Janis Joplin The Pearl Sessions 2xCD LISTEN
- Outtakes, alternate versions, and other rarities from the recording sessions for the 1971 album Pearl, plus the original tracks from the LP
- Karp Kill All Redneck Pricks: A Documentary Film About A Band Called Karp DVD
- Daniel Licht Silent Hill: Book of Memories OST
- Gordon Lightfoot All Live
- Live tracks performed at Toronto's Massey Hall from 1998-2001
- Lightships Electric Cables LISTEN
- Lioness The Golden Killer
- Lushlife Plateau Vision LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Maps & Atlases Beware and Be Grateful LISTEN
- Bob Marley & the Wailers Marley OST
- Moonface With Siinai: Heartbreaking Bravery LISTEN (AV Club)
- Second solo release for Wolf Parade's Spencer Krug
- Jason Mraz Love is a Four Letter Word LISTEN (3voor12)
- Neon Trees Picture Show
- New Build Yesterday Was Lived and Lost
- US release; new band featuring members of Hot Chip and LCD Soundsystem
- Orbital Wonky
- US release
- Our Lady Peace Curve LISTEN
- Jon Porras Black Mesa
- Sepalcure Eternally Yrs EP
- Shifted Crossed Paths
- Snoop Dogg, Stoners EP [4/20]
Sweet Heart, Sweet Light LISTEN (3voor12)
- While it won't win any album cover design awards, Sweet Heart, Sweet Light marks the return of one of the UK's better bands of the last two decades, and it's just their second album since 2003. Already receiving fairly strong early reviews, the Jason Pierce-led band's seventh studio LP was recorded over the past three years as Pierce was receiving treatment for a live-threatening liver condition, and fans should recognize several tracks from the group's recent live sets. Even better is that the new album gives the band an excuse to hit the road one more time; a North American tour kicks off in May.
- SWV I Missed Us LISTEN
- Sébastien Tellier My God Is Blue
- European release (16 April)
- Yann Tiersen Skyline
- US release
- Sidi Touré Koima LISTEN
- Train California 37 LISTEN
- Various: Record Store Day releases [4/21]
- Saturday, April 21st brings another installment of Record Store Day, the annual celebration of the world's few remaining independent record shops. There are tons of exclusive releases to choose from (depending on your local store), including a Flaming Lips album, a deluxe singles collection box set from The Pharcyde, and new singles and EPs from Public Image Limited, Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, Feist, St. Vincent, and more; get the full list here. Need to find your nearest participating store? There's an app for that.
- Various Sun 60th Anniversary 2xCD
- Compiles 60 tracks by Sun Records artists including Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis
- Various Treme: Season 2 OST
- Loudon Wainwright III Older Than My Old Man Now
- We are Serenades Criminal Heaven
- Dar Williams In the Time of Gods
- Hank Williams III Long Gone Daddy
- Career-spanning 10-song set with six previously unreleased tracks
- Woods / Amps for Christ Woods / Amps for Christ
- Split LP with songs by both artists
- Yanni Live at El Morro Puerto Rico CD+DVD LISTEN
More streaming and downloadable new music
- 3D (of Massive Attack) with Scarlett Johansson
- TRACK "Summertime" (from the soundtrack to the film Days of Grace) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Aesop Rock
- TRACK "Zero Dark Thirty" (from the forthcoming July album Skelethon) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Goodbye," from a new side project for Ford & Lopatin's Joel Ford, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Beach House
- TRACK "Lazuli," from their forthcoming album Bloom, streaming at 3voor12.
- Beachwood Sparks
- TRACK "Forget the Song," from the band's forthcoming comeback album The Tarnished Gold, downloadable from Sub Pop.
- Black Lips
- TRACK "Dance with You" (previously unreleased) downloadable from Spin.
- Ane Brun
- TRACK "Do You Remember" downloadable from KCRW.
- Neneh Cherry & The Thing
- TRACK "Dream Baby Dream" (Suicide cover) streaming at Stereogum.
- Cut Chemist
- TRACK "Outro (Revisited)" (featuring Blackbird) streaming at Rolling Stone.
- The Dandy Warhols
- ALBUM This Machine (out next week) streaming now at Rolling Stone.
- Death Grips
- ALBUM The Money Store (out next week) streaming now at Soundcloud.
- Del The Funkee Homosapien and Parallel Thought
- TRACK "If Ya Don't" streaming at Prefix.
- TRACK "Mind Control," from their forthcoming debut album Manifest!, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Laurel Halo
- TRACK "Light + Space" streaming at Gorilla vs. Bear.
- Here We Go Magic
- TRACK "How Do I Know" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Sarah Jaffe
- ALBUM The Body Wins (out next week) streaming now at NPR.
- Norah Jones
- ALBUM Little Broken Hearts (out 5/1) streaming now at NPR.
- TRACK "lgoyh" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Linkin Park
- TRACK "Burn It Down" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Motion City Soundtrack
- TRACK "True Romance" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Prinzhorn Dance School
- TRACK "I Want You" downloadable from Spin.
- Joey Ramone
- TRACK "Rock 'N Roll Is the Answer," previously unreleased, streaming at Spin.
- Lee Ranaldo
- TRACK "Angles" downloadable from KCRW.
- Daniel Rossen
- TRACK "Saint Nothing" downloadable from KCRW.
- Sea Of Bees
- ALBUM Orangefarben (out 5/1) streaming at NPR.
- Simian Mobile Disco
- TRACK "Put Your Hands Together" (new B-side) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Bringing Tha Phonk 2012" streaming at Spin.
- Sun Kil Moon
- TRACK "UK Blues" downloadable from Stereogum.
- TRACK "Chew" streaming at Spin.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: The Black Keys (Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations), First Aid Kit (Conan), Noel Gallagher (Kimmel), Bonnie Raitt (The Colbert Report)
- Tuesday: Ashanti (Kimmel)
- Wednesday: Girls (Conan), Jason Mraz (Kimmel), Nas (VH1's Behind the Music, 9p)
- Thursday: Kasabian (Kimmel), Emeli Sande (Conan)
Recent artist and industry news
- According to Billboard, Madonna now holds the record for biggest second-week sales drop after debuting at #1; her MDNA experienced a shocking 86.7% decline in units sold (from 359,000 to 48,000) in its second week on sale.
- The UK's famed indie record store Rough Trade is opening its first US location, in Brooklyn's Williamsburg. - Brooklyn Vegan
- F. Gary Gray may direct the planned biopic of the seminal West Coast rap group N.W.A. - THR
- Stuart Murdoch, leader of Belle and Sebastian, has cast Elle Fanning and Olly Alexander in a film musical he will write and direct based on his 2009 album God Help the Girl. - Variety
- The Imelda Marcos musical written by David Byrne and Fatboy Slim is no longer just an album; the show will be produced for the first time by The Public Theater in New York as part of its 2012-13 season. - The New York Times
- Jack White's April 27 concert at New York's Webster Hall will be streamed live on YouTube in a performance directed by Gary Oldman.
- You can now trade in your used CDs at Amazon. - TechCrunch
The latest music videos
Simian Mobile Disco, "Seraphim":
tUnE-yArDs, "My Country":
Paul McCartney, "My Valentine" [starring Natalie Portman and Johnny Depp]:
Moonface, "Teary Eyes and Bloody Lips":
Eleanor Friedberger, "I Won't Fall Apart on You Tonight":
Great Lake Swimmers, "New Wild Everywhere":
OFF!, "Wiped Out":
Bruce Springsteen, "Death to My Hometown" [live]:
Squarepusher, "Dark Steering":
Cloud Nothings, "Stay Useless":
jj, "Beautiful Life":
Marissa Nadler, "The Wrecking Ball Company":
Black Bananas, "My House":
Kuedo, "Ascension Phase":
In the studio / coming soon
- It turns out that there isn't a new Green Day album in the works, after all; there are three. The trilogy, to be titled ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, and ¡Tré!, will arrive on September 25th, November 13th, and January 15th, 2013, respectively. - Rolling Stone
- June 12 will bring Clockwork Angels, the first album by Rush in five years. - Billboard
- L.A. band Beachwood Sparks have reunited and will release The Tarnished Gold, their first album in over a decade, on June 26th via Sub Pop.
- Best known for last year's catchy single "I'm His Girl," Brooklyn group Friends will release their full-length debut, Manifest!, on June 5th. - Pitchfork
- Living Things is the name of the fifth studio album by Linkin Park; it's out June 26th. - Rolling Stone
- Kraftwerk, in New York this week to play a series of shows at MOMA, have told The New York Times that they are working on a new album, which should arrive "soon."
- Early Times is a 14-song compilation of hard-to-find tracks recorded during 1990-91 by the Silver Jews; expect it June 19 on Drag City. - Pitchfork
- On July 17, Baroness return with Yellow and Green. - Pitchfork
- Next up for Lil Wayne? An album of love songs. - Rolling Stone
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The lineup for this year's Lollapalooza festival (held once again in Chicago's Grant Park, from August 3-5) was announced last week. Headliners include a reunited Black Sabbath, plus the Black Keys and Red Hot Chili Peppers, and other performers include Jack White, Justice, Florence + The Machine, the Afghan Whigs, Sigur Ros, At the Drive-In, and Santigold. More details at Billboard.
- Sigur Ros have a quick trip to North America planned for this summer, with an itinerary that finds time for festivals and cemeteries. Pitchfork has the dates.
- Bruce Springsteen has announced eight additional stadium shows for late summer; Rolling Stone has the details.
- Wilco are hitting the road with former Sonic Youth guitarist Lee Ranaldo as their opening act on some dates; Pitchfork has their summer itineraries together and alone.
- Danish band Iceage will trek to the East Coast (of North America) in July. - Pitchfork
- Bloc Party have scheduled a few North American dates for the summer; find them at Pollstar.
- The Spencer Krug project Moonface has North American dates set for June. - Pitchfork
- The Weeknd will follow an appearance at Coachella with another nine American performances this spring. - Pitchfork
- Following a sold-out tour of North America earlier this year, One Direction have already booked a return trip ... but it's not until 2013. - Pollstar
- Santana kicks off his summer tour in July with a stop in Minnesota. - Pollstar
- Phish have extended their summer tour with over a dozen new August dates. - Pollstar
- Find May and June dates for The Dandy Warhols at Pollstar.