This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, April 3 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- 360 Everywhere and Back
- Ian Anderson Thick as a Brick 2 LISTEN
- Sequel to Jethro Tull's 1972 album
- AU Both Lights LISTEN
- Willis Earl Beal Acousmatic Sorcery LISTEN (Chicago Reader)
- Bear in Heaven I Love You, It's Cool LISTEN (3voor12)
- Black Mountain Year Zero OST
- Breton Other People's Problems LISTEN
- Candlebox Love Stories & Other Musings LISTEN
- Céu Caravana Sereia Bloom LISTEN
- Clark Iradelphic
- Adam Cohen Like a Man
- Elvis Costello The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook CD+DVD
- Recorded live in 2011
- Cynic The Portal Tapes
- First official release of 1994-95 demos
- De La Soul’s Plug 1 & Plug 2 First Serve LISTEN
- Dr. John Locked Down LISTEN (3voor12)
- Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys guests
- Simone Felice Simone Felice LISTEN (3voor12)
- Solo debut for former member of the Felice Brothers and The Duke & The King; digital release today, CD next week
- fIREHOSE lowFLOWS: The Columbia Anthology ('91-'94) 2xCD LISTEN
- Compilation includes two remastered albums, a live EP and other rare tracks, and previously unreleased recordings
- Funk Ark High Noon
- The Futureheads Rant
- A cappella versions of past songs and covers; UK only [April 2]
- Great Lake Swimmers New Wild Everywhere LISTEN (Paste)
- High on Fire De Vermis Mysteriis
- Al Jardine A Postcard From California
- First official CD release of 2010 album
- The Jezabels Prisoner
- Killing Joke MMXII
- UK only [April 2]
- Lostprophets Weapons LISTEN (NME)
- UK only [April 2]
- Lotus Plaza Spooky Action at a Distance LISTEN (3voor12)
- Side project from Deerhunter's Lockett Pundt
- Love On A Real Train Love On A Real Train
- The Lumineers The Lumineers LISTEN
- Lux We Are Not The Same LISTEN
- Nicki Minaj
Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
- Minaj follows her wildly successful 2010 debut album Pink Friday 69 with this sequel, which includes the previously-released cuts "Starships" and "Stupid Hoe" (but not "Roman in Moscow") as well as collaborations with Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Nas, Drake, Young Jeezy, and Cam'ron & Rick Ross. A deluxe edition adds 3 tracks to the already loaded 19-song tracklist.
- Morrissey Viva Hate
- Remastered reissue of 1988 album with one extra track; UK only (April 2)
- MxPx Plans Within Plans
- Obie Trice Bottoms Up
- Of Monsters and Men My Head Is an Animal LISTEN (3voor12)
- Orbital LISTEN (NME)
Wonky UK only [April 2]
- At one point, it seemed like brothers Phil and Paul Hartnoll would never release another album under the Orbital name. But, after returning from their hiatus with an impressive single ("Don't Stop Me"/"The Gun Is Good") in 2010, the electronica duo return today with Wonky, their first album in eight years and eighth LP overall, though it's not yet available in the U.S. The Flood-mixed disc includes collaborations with Zola Jesus and MC Lady Leshurr. If you like creepy singing cats, make sure you check out the video for "Wonky" in the video section below.
- Morgan Page In the Air
- Photek DJ Kicks
- Quantic & Alice Russell Look Around the Corner LISTEN
- Rascal Flatts Changed
- Roxy Music, The Complete Studio Recordings 1972-1982 8xCD+4xDVD
- UK only [April 2]
- Marvin Sapp I Win
- Screaming Females Ugly
- Selena Enamorada De Ti
- David Sylvian Victim of Stars 1982 - 2012 2xCD LISTEN
- Greatest hits comp; U.S. release
- Tuxedomoon Unearthed CD+DVD
- First standalone release for the Lost Cords rarities CD and Found Film DVD originally included in the 7707 box set
- UV PØP No Songs Tomorrow
- Paul van Dyk Evolution LISTEN (Billboard)
- The Vespers The Fourth Wall
- Rocky Votolato Television of Saints LISTEN (Paste)
- Eric Whitacre Water Night
- White Arrows Fireworks of the Sea EP
- Wilson Phillips Dedicated LISTEN
- Covers of songs by The Beach Boys and The Mama & The Papas
- Wishbone Ash Live Dates II
- First official U.S. release of 1980 live album includes bonus material originally released as a separate disc
- Denison Witmer The Ones Who Wait
- CD release
- Zammuto Zammuto LISTEN (Spin)
- Solo debut from Nick Zammuto of The Books
More streaming and downloadable new music
- TRACK "Piss Test" (featuring Juicy J and Danny Brown) streaming at Pitchfork.
- Alabama Shakes
- ALBUM Boys and Girls (out next week) streaming now at NPR.
- Amadou and Mariam
- ALBUM Folila (out next week) streaming now at NPR.
- Arctic Monkeys
- ALBUM Early B-Sides streaming at Some Kind of Awesome.
- TRACK "Millionenspiel" , from forthcoming box set The Lost Tapes, streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Choir of Young Believers
- TRACK "Sedated" downloadable from Rolling Stone.
ALBUM Rhine Gold streaming at 3voor12.
- ALBUM Kill for Love (available now at iTunes) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Counting Crows
- ALBUM Underwater Sunshine (out next week) streaming at Paste.
- The Dandy Warhols
- TRACK "Sad Vacation" downloadable from Stereogum.
- Dirty Projectors
- TRACK "Gun Has No Trigger" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Bright Light," from the forthcoming album Aimlessness, downloadable at Pitchfork.
- Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros
- TRACK "That's What's Up" streaming at BPM.
- The Flaming Lips and Bon Iver
- TRACK "Ashes in the Air" streaming at Stereogum.
- TRACK "Battle in Me," the first single from their forthcoming comeback album, streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Giant Giant Sand
- TRACK "Forever and a Day," from the new larger version of Howe Gelb's band Giant Sand, downloadable from Rolling Stone.
- Heavy Blanket
- TRACK "Dr. Marten's Blues," from the new J Mascis side project, streaming at Stereogum.
- Jeremy Greenspan
- TRACKS "Crown Princess" and "Guu," from the Junior Boys frontman's first solo single, streaming at Stereogum.
- TRACK "The House That Heaven Built" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Killer Mike
- TRACK "Don't Die" streaming at Stereogum.
- Kendrick Lamar
- TRACK "The Recipe," featuring Dr. Dre, streaming at Spin.
- Magic Trick
- TRACK "Torture" (side project for Tim Cohen of Fresh & Onlys) downloadable from Stereogum.
- Maximo Park
- TRACK "The National Health," the title cut from their forthcoming album, streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Men
- TRACK "A Minor," from an upcoming Sacred Bones label sampler (out 4/21), streaming at Soundcloud.
- Moonface with Siinai
- TRACK "Headed for the Door" streaming at Spin.
- Mount Eerie
- TRACK "To the Ground" streaming at BPM.
- TRACK "King Kong Brigade" downloadable from BPM.
- A Place to Bury Strangers
- TRACK "You Are the One" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Robert Pollard
- ALBUM Mouseman Cloud streaming this week at Spinner.
- PS I Love You
- TRACK "Princess Towers" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Russia With Love" streaming at Prefix.
- Bonnie Raitt
- ALBUM Slipstream (out next week) streaming now at NPR.
- Screaming Females
- TRACK "Expire" downloadable from Stereogum.
- Ty Segall and White Fence
- TRACK "I Am Not a Game" downloadable from Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Longest Day," featuring vocals by Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan, streaming at NME.
- Regina Spektor
- TRACK "Don't Leave Me (Ne Me Quitte Pas)" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Chinese Braille" streaming at Soundcloud.
- M. Ward
- ALBUM A Wasteland Companion (out next week) streaming now at NPR.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Bombay Bicycle Club (Carson Daly), Eric Hutchinson (Leno), Eli Young Band (Kimmel), Yuna (Conan)
- Tuesday: Dr. John (Fallon), Gym Class Heroes (Leno), Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real (Letterman)
- Wednesday: Heartless Bastards (Conan), Punch Brothers (Letterman), Lionel Richie (Kimmel), Seal (Leno), White Denim (Carson Daly), Pegi Young (Fallon)
- Thursday: Good Old War (Conan), NeedToBreathe (Kimmel), Grace Potter & The Nocturnals (Leno), Thee Oh Sees (Carson Daly), Walk the Moon (Fallon)
- Friday: Rodrigo y Gabriela (Leno)
- Saturday: One Direction (Saturday Night Live)
- Sunday: Florence + The Machine (MTV Unplugged)
Recent artist and industry news
- Noted bluegrass player Earl Scruggs died last week at the age of 88. - The New York Times
- If you are one of the zero people in the world with a turntable that supports 3 RPM, then Jack White has a new record for you. - Rolling Stone
- Canada's Juno Awards were handed out over the weekend; Feist was named artist of the year, while top album honors went to Michael Bublé's Christmas.
The latest music videos
Orbital feat. Lady Leshurr, "Wonky":
David Lynch, "Crazy Clown Time" [NSFW]:
SBTRKT, "Hold On":
Damon Albarn, "The Marvelous Dream":
The-Dream, "Kill the Lights":
Regina Spektor, "All the Rowboats":
2:54, "You're Early":
Retribution Gospel Choir, "The Stone (Revolution!)":
Julia Holter, "Moni Mon Amie":
Frankie Rose, "Night Swim":
Lee Ranaldo, "Angles":
Death Grips, "The Fever (Aye Aye)":
Dum Dum Girls, "Coming Down":
Shearwater, "You As You Were":
Bill Callahan, "Heaven Help The Child":
Win Win feat. Spank Rock, Andrew W.K. and Matt Sweeney, "Pop a Gumball":
In the studio / coming soon
- Previously teased at the end of last year, a box set of previously unreleased material by legendary German group Can is now a reality; The Lost Tapes arrives June 19th and features three discs of newly unearthed studio and live recordings and soundtrack work, all recorded during 1968-77. Get more details at Mute.
- Dirty Projectors return with Swing Lo Magellan on July 10. - Pitchfork
- The Smashing Pumpkins now have a June 19 release date for Oceania, their first album in five years. - Billboard
- On June 5th, The Walkmen will release their sixth LP, Heaven, on Fat Possum. Phil Ek is the producer, and Robin Pecknold (Fleet Foxes) guests on a pair of tracks.
- Patti Smith has also set a June 5 date for Banga, her first album in eight years. - Rolling Stone
- Pitchfork has more details on the upcoming Liars album, now titled WIXIW. It's out June 5th.
- Indie rockers Sebadoh have entered the studio (together) for the first time in 13 years. - Prefix
- Also out June 5th is the Tony Visconti-produced Big Station, a new album from singer-songwriter Alejandro Escovedo. - Paste
- Sade's Bring Me Home -- Live 2011 includes a DVD and CD chronicling her recent tour; grab it May 22. - Pop & Hiss
- June 26 brings Worship, the latest from A Place to Bury Strangers. - Spin
- Maximo Park return with The National Health, due June 11 in the UK. - NME
- Rapper Saigon is set to return with his sophomore album, Bread and Circuses, on September 11. - Prefix
- Aesop Rock hasn't released a solo album in five years, but that changes on July 10 with the arrival of Skelethon. - Pitchfork
- Toro Y Moi will release a compilation of early tracks called June 2009 on April 30th on Carpark; we'll let you guess when they were recorded. - Resident Advisor
- Duo Peaking Lights have a new album, Lucifer, set for a June 18 release. - Pitchfork
- Usher's next album has a new title, Looking For Myself, and a June 12 release date. - Prefix
- Expect a new Aerosmith album (the band's first in eight years) within the next three months. - Rolling Stone
- Dntel (aka Jimmy Tamborello, half of the duo The Postal Service) will release a new album, Aimlessness, on June 5th.
- The Tallest Man on Earth (the Swedish singer-songwriter, not an actual giant) has a new album, There's No Leaving Now, arriving on June 12. - Pitchfork
- Warp will release Red Night, the second album by The Hundred in the Hands, on June 11. - Prefix
- Michael Franti and Spearhead have been in the studio recording a "more aggressive" album which should arrive in the fall. - Rolling Stone
- In addition to a new album already scheduled for May, Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros are planning a second 2012 release later in the year. - BPM
- Deftones will head to the studio in July to record their follow-up to Diamond Eyes. - NME
- Miranda Lambert's Pistol Annies side project will record a second album this year. - Pop & Hiss
- A 25th anniversary edition—make that editions, plural—of Paul Simon's Graceland album are coming on June 5th; Consequence of Sound breaks down your options.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- New additions to this year's Pitchfork Music Festival include Sleigh Bells, Flying Lotus, Dirty Projectors, and more. - Pitchfork
- Get tour dates for Dum Dum Girls at Pitchfork.
- Pitchfork also has dates for Santigold's upcoming North American tour.
- Find summer dates for Tenacious D at Pollstar.
- Japandroids have North American dates scheduled for June. - Pitchfork
- Spin has tour dates for The Men.
- Los Campesinos! return to North America in June. - Prefix
- Resident Advisor has North American dates for Modeselektor.
- Balam Acab and Active Child have a co-headlining tour set for late spring. - BPM
- Australian group The Temper Trap is heading to North America in June. - Rolling Stone
- Find spring dates for Schoolboy Q at Pitchfork.
- ATP's Tokyo festival scheduled for later this month has been postponed due to low ticket sales. - The Quietus
- Also canceled was the 2012 installment of the Sonisphere festival in Knebworth. - Consequence of Sound