This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, April 24 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Josh Abbott Band Small Town Family Dream
- Actress R.I.P.
- Ryan Adams iTunes Session EP LISTEN
- Digital only
- Anathema Weather Systems
- Theresa Andersson Street Parade
- Mickey Avalon Loaded LISTEN
- Brendan Benson What Kind of World LISTEN
- James Blackshaw Love Is the Plan, the Plan Is Death
- Brad United We Stand
- Lee Brice Hard 2 Love LISTEN
- Calexico Flor De Muertos DVD
- Concert performance plus documentary
- CFCF Exercises EP
- Alex Clare The Lateness of the Hour
- Crystal Fighters Star of Love
- John Daly Sunburst [27 Apr]
- Dandy Warhols This Machine LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Death Grips The Money Store LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Deuce Nine Lives LISTEN
- Diamond Rugs Diamond Rugs
- Electric Guest Mondo
- Eve 6 Speak in Code
- Peter Gabriel New Blood Live in London 2xCD LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- 2011 concert performance with Gabriel backed by a 46-piece orchestra
- The Warren Haynes Band Live From The Moody Theater 2xCD+1xDVD LISTEN (Paste)
- Sarah Jaffe The Body Wins LISTEN
- Produced by John Congleton
- Davy Jones The Bell Recordings 1971-72
- Remastered version of 1971 album Davy Jones supplemented with 4 tracks taken from singles and two additional bonus tracks (on CD for the first time)
- Kasra Fabriclive 62
- Carole King The Legendary Demos LISTEN
- Thirteen previously unreleased demos for many of her better-known songs
- Kool A.D. 51
- Mixtape from Das Racist member Victor Vazquez
- Lazer Sword Memory
- Digital only (Friday); CD release May 8
- Loquat We Could Be Arsonists LISTEN
- LP Into the Wild: Live at EastWest Studios CD+DVD LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- First major release for L.A.-based singer-songwriter Laura Pergolizzi is a live-in-the-studio collection; her major-label debut album should follow later this year.
- The Maccabees Given to the Wild
- US release
- Magic Wands Aloha Moon LISTEN
- Barry Manilow Live in London
- Mohn Mohn LISTEN (3voor12)
- Collaboration between Kompakt artists Wolfgang Voigt and Jörg Burger. Digital only (Monday); CD release May 8
- The Monkees Pool It! CD+DVD Deluxe Edition
- Remastered version of out-of-print 1987 reunion album adds two bonus tracks and their Heart & Soul videography.
- Kip Moore Up All Night
- Paradise Lost Tragic Idol
- Prong Carved into Stone
- The Raveonettes Into the Night EP LISTEN
- Joe Satriani Satchurated: Live in Montreal DVD/Blu-ray 3D
- Ty Segall and White Fence Hair
- Curtis Stigers Let's Go Out Tonight
- Marty Stuart Nashville, Vol. 1: Tear the Woodpile Down
- Suckers Candy Salad LISTEN (Paste)
- Tiesto Club Life Vol. 2
- Torche Harmonicraft
- Toro Y Moi June 2009
- Box set compilation of 7-inch singles originally sold while on tour; also available as a single CD
- Trixter New Audio Machine
- Walter Trout Blues for the Modern Daze
- Various American Reunion OST
- Various Bonnie & Clyde - Original Broadway Cast Recording OST
- Various Eastbound & Down OST 2xCD
- Features dialogue from the HBO show mixed with music by The Black Keys, The Stooges, and more
- Various Ghost: The Musical - Original Cast Recording OST
- Various This Must Be the Place OST 2xLP
- Special edition double-album release from The Vinyl Factory includes new music from David Byrne and Will Oldham (recording together as The Pieces of Shit) as well as other artists; also available on a single CD (as an import)
- The Wanted The Wanted
- Wanting Everything in the World
- War of Ages Return to Life
- Jack White
- What's the difference between a White Stripes album and a Jack White solo album (other than the absence of drummer Meg White, of course)? Apparently, the color blue ... and a bit more diversity and adventurousness in sound. Otherwise, the iconoclastic guitarist, producer, and record shop proprietor delivers a solo debut full of originals (and one cover) that wouldn't sound too out of place on any red-and-white-covered Stripes album. And that's a good thing, as White's track record attests; in fact, critics are already heralding Blunderbuss as one of the year's top albums.
- Yuna Yuna
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Damon Albarn
- TRACK "The Dancing King" downloadable from NME.
ALBUM Dr. Dee streaming until its May 8 release date at NPR.
- Fiona Apple
- TRACK "Every Single Night," the first single from her upcoming album, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Arctic Monkeys
- TRACK "Electricity," a new B-side, streaming at NME.
- A$AP Rocky
- TRACK "Goldie," from the forthcoming LongLiveA$AP, downloadable from Pitchfork.
- TRACK "So Hard to Breathe" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Del the Funky Homosapien & Parallel Thought
- TRACK "Bring It" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Dirty Projectors
- TRACK "You Against the Larger World (Demo)" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Feist and Mastodon
- TRACKS "Black Tongue" (Feist covering Mastodon) and "A Commotion" (Mastodon covering Feist) streaming at Pitchfork.
- The Flaming Lips & Ke$ha
- TRACK "2012… You Must Be Upgraded" streaming at YouTube (audio only); more Flaming Lips collabs (from their new Heady Fwends album) here.
- Four Tet
- DJ MIX "Conference of the Birds" streaming at Soundcloud (all 44 minutes of it).
- Nelly Furtado
- TRACK "Big Hoops (Bigger The Better)" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Hot Chip
- TRACK "Night and Day," the first official single from forthcoming album In Our Heads, streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "History's Door" downloadable from Sub Pop.
- Lower Dens
- ALBUM Nootropics (out next week) streaming now at NPR.
- David Lynch
- TRACK "Noah's Ark," remixed by Moby, streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Major Lazer
- TRACK "Get Free," featuring vocals by Dirty Projectors' Amber Coffman, downloadable from the official site.
- MellowHigh [Domo Genesis and Hodgy Beats of Odd Future]
- TRACK "Timbs" streaming at Pitchfork.
TRACK "Go" downloadable from Stereogum.
- TRACK "Earth Division," from the forthcoming compilation Occupy This Album, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Mystery Jets
- ALBUM Radlands streaming at NME.
- Willie Nelson
- TRACK "Roll Me Up," featuring Snoop Dogg, Kris Kristofferson, and Jamey Johnson, streaming at Nelson's official site.
- TRACK "Cracked" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Peaking Lights
- TRACK "Lo Hi," from the forthcoming album Lucifer, streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Pixies
- ALBUM Coachella '04 EP, featuring live tracks recorded at the 2004 festival, downloadable from the band's official site.
- Poor Moon
- TRACK "People in Her Mind" streaming at KCRW.
- Public Image Ltd.
- TRACK "Lollipop Opera" streaming at Spin.
- Bonnie Raitt
- TRACK "Ain't Gonna Let You Go" downloadable from KCRW.
- Ramona Falls
- TRACK "Brevony" downloadable from BPM.
ALBUM Prophet streaming at Stereogum.
- Joey Ramone
- TRACK "There's Got to Be More to Life" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- ALBUM Master of My Make-Believe (out next week) streaming now at NPR.
- Skrillex and Damian Marley
- TRACK "Make It Bun Dem" streaming at NME.
- TRACK "Live to Rise," from the forthcoming soundtrack to The Avengers, available as a free download at iTunes.
- Titus Andronicus
- TRACK "Oh Bondage! Up Yours!" (X-Ray Spex cover) streaming at Consequence of Sound.
- Rufus Wainwright
- ALBUM Out of the Game (out next week) streaming now at NPR.
- The Walkmen
- TRACK "Heaven" streaming at Spin.
- Patrick Watson
- ALBUM Adventures in Your Own Backyard (out next week) streaming now at NPR.
- Alex Winston
- TRACK "Velvet Elvis" downloadable from KCRW.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Band of Skulls (Carson Daly), Fun. (Letterman), The Hives (Kimmel), Train (Leno)
- Tuesday: Beirut (Leno), Kasabian (Carson Daly), Dave Matthews (Fallon), Hayley Reinhart (Conan), Vintage Trouble (Kimmel)
- Wednesday: Ben Kweller (Conan), LP (Kimmel), Ziggy Marley (Leno), Melvins (Carson Daly), The War on Drugs (Letterman)
- Thursday: Brandy (VH1's Behind the Music), Adam Lambert (Kimmel), Ingrid Michaelson (Conan), Moby (Leno), We Are Augustines (Carson Daly), Jack White (Colbert Report)
- Friday: Nick Lowe (Fallon), Miike Snow (Letterman), The Wanted (Leno), Jack White (full concert directed by Gary Oldman streaming live on YouTube at 9p ET)
Recent artist and industry news
- Levon Helm, best known as the drummer and singer for The Band, died last week at the age of 71. - Rolling Stone
The latest music videos
The Shins, "The Rifle's Spiral":
Liars, "No. 1 Against the Rush":
Lana Del Rey, "Carmen":
The Flaming Lips with New Fumes, "Girl, You're So Weird" [NSFW]:
The Flaming Lips with Prefuse 73, "Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee" [NSFW]:
R. Kelly, "Share My Love":
Graham Coxon, "Ooh, Yeh Yeh":
Frank Ocean, "Thinking About You":
Death Grips, "I've Seen Footage":
Scissor Sisters, "Only the Horses":
Zambri, "Hundred Hearts":
In the studio / coming soon
- A massive, all-inclusive Blur box set called 21 will arrive this summer. In addition to remastered versions of all seven studio albums, the collection includes 65 previously unreleased tracks, 130 additional rarities, 3 DVDs, and a photo book. The title, by the way, refers to the number of discs in the set, which is due July 30 in the UK. Each album will also be re-released individually as an expanded, double-disc set. - NME
- Interpol frontman Paul Banks will release a 5-song EP, Julian Plenti Lives…, on June 12th, prior to a full Julian Plenti LP in the fall. - Matador
- System of a Down frontman Serj Tankian will release his third solo album, Harakiri, on July 10th.
- Azealia Banks has delayed her 1991 EP (originally set for release last week) to re-tool the tracks, now that the artist has more of a budget to work with. - Billboard
- Now that frontman Craig Finn's solo tour is winding down, The Hold Steady are planning on heading to the studio in the coming months to record their next album. - Rolling Stone
- Cat Power's next album will be titled Sun, and it could arrive this fall. - Pitchfork
- Ty Segall has three releases planned for 2012; one of them, Slaughterhouse by the Ty Segall Band, will arrive June 26th on In the Red. - Pitchfork
- On May 1st, the Red Hot Chili Peppers will release their We Salute You EP, featuring covers of tracks by The Stooges, Neil Young, David Bowie, the Beach Boys, and more. - Rolling Stone
- Also working on a covers album is the English band Field Music; the tracklist and title are still being worked out, but the album should be out this fall. - Pitchfork
- Perhaps you'd rather hear Iggy Pop performing the music of other artists; his own covers album, Apres, is out next month. -NME
- Ninja Tune will release Interludes After Midnight, the fifth solo album from producer Blockhead, on May 1st. - Prefix
- This year's Guided By Voices comeback continues unabated; the band now has a third album planned for 2012, Bears for Lunch, which should arrive in November. (Their second, Class Clown Spots a UFO, is out June 12.) - Prefix
- On May 21, Vampire Weekend's Chris Baio will release the Sunburn EP under the name Baio. - Pitchfork
- Justin Bieber's next album, Believe, is out on June 19. - Billboard
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The lineup for this year's Outside Lands Festival, to be held in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park the weekend of August 10-12, was announced last week. Performers include Stevie Wonder, Jack White, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Beck, Sigur Ros, Justice, Norah Jones, Big Boi, a reunited Grandaddy, and more; get the full lineup at the official site.
- The third incarnation of Raleigh, North Carolina's Hopscotch Music Festival will feature artists such as Yo La Tengo, Jesus and Mary Chain, Built to Spill, The Roots, Liars, and the Mountain Goats when it takes place September 6-8. Full lineup at the official site.
- Find lineup details for the first Electric Daisy Carnival New York at Pollstar.
- Rush will tour this fall in support of their upcoming LP Clockwork Angels, find their itinerary at BPM.
- Mountain Goats frontman John Darnielle has a West Coast solo tour planned for the summer. - BPM
- Get tour dates for Train at Pollstar.
- Maxwell will perform all four of his albums live across two nights in each of three cities (Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Newark) this summer. - Pitchfork
- Find the latest dates for Best Coast at BPM.
- Van Halen have extended their current North American tour by a month; Pollstar has the new stops.
- Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller are hitting the road together this summer (supported by Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q); dates at Prefix.