This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, July 3 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- 50 Cent 5 (Murder By Numbers)
- Abandon All Ships Infamous
- Asia XXX
- Doug Benson Smug Life 2xCD
- Comedy album
- The Blasters Fun on Saturday Night
- Bonded by Blood Aftermath
- Chris Brown Fortune
- Delain We Are The Others
- Tha Dogg Pound Doggy Bag
- Flo Rida Wild Ones
- Stevie Jackson (I Can't Get No) Stevie Jackson LISTEN
- First solo album for Belle & Sebastian member
- James Horner The Amazing Spider-Man OST LISTEN
- Jellyfish Live at Bogart's 1991
- Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire Huzzah EP
- Digital only
- múm Early Birds
- Compilation of rarities from the Icelandic band's formative years
- Nguzunguzu Warm Pulse EP
- Digital only (CD out August 14)
- Nile At the Gate of Sethu
- Periphery Periphery II
- Prodigy of Mobb Deep H.N.I.C. 3 LISTEN
- Small Faces Ogden's Nut Gone Flake 3xCD
- Deluxe, limited-edition reissue of 1968 album includes separate mono and stereo versions plus a disc of rarities
- Noah Stewart Noah
- Various Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter OST LISTEN
- Various Modeselektor Proudly Presents Modeselektion 2
- Compilation of tracks by artists on labels Monkeytown and 50 Weapons
- Various Savages OST
- Wolves at the Gate Captors LISTEN
More streaming and downloadable new music
- The Antlers
- TRACK "Crest" streaming at Pitchfork.
- Azealia Banks
- TRACK "Nathan" (featuring Styles P) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Paul Banks [of Interpol]
- TRACK "Summertime Is Coming" downloadable from Matador.
- ALBUM >> streaming at 3voor12.
- Best Coast
- TRACK "Rhiannon" (Fleetwood Mac cover) streaming at NPR.
- TRACK "The Puritan" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
TRACK "Under the Westway" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Com Truise
- TRACK "Open" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Debo Band
- ALBUM Debo Band streaming until its 7/10 release at NPR.
- Delicate Steve
- ALBUM Positive Force streaming until its 7/10 release at NPR.
- Dinosaur Jr.
- TRACK "Watch the Corners" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Dirty Projectors
- ALBUM Swing Lo Magellan streaming this week at The Guardian.
- Divine Fits
- TRACK "Would That Not Be Nice" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Melissa Etheridge
- TRACK "Falling Up" streaming at Soundcloud.
- James Iha
- TRACK "To Who Knows Where," from his forthcoming solo LP Look to the Sky (out 9/18), streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lavender Diamond
- TRACK "Oh My Beautiful World" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Bettye LaVette
- TRACK "I'm Not The One" (Black Keys cover) streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Lykke Li
- TRACK "Silver Springs" (Fleetwood Mac cover) streaming at Pitchfork.
- Minus the Bear
- TRACK "Lonely Gun" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- TRACK "Survival," the official song of the upcoming Summer Olympics, streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Pet Shop Boys
- TRACK "Winner" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- TRACK "The Keepers" downloadable from KCRW.
- Thee Oh Sees
- TRACK "Lupine Dominus" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Tilly and the Wall
- TRACK "Love Riot" downloadable from Stereogum.
- Corin Tucker Band
- TRACK "Groundhog Day" downloadable from Pitchfork.
- Two Gallants
- TRACK "Broken Eyes" downloadable from Prefix.
- The Vaccines
- TRACK "No Hope" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Very Best
- TRACK "We OK" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Sod In The Seed," from the upcoming EP of the same name (out 8/13), downloadable from Stereogum.
- TRACK "Cali in a Cup" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Wye Oak
- TRACK "Spiral" downloadable from Adult Swim.
Recent artist and industry news
- The Flaming Lips successfully topped Jay-Z's world record for most concerts performed in a 24-hour period. - MTV Hive
- Monthly UK music magazine The Word has folded after nine years; the August issue will be its last. - The Quietus
- Girls frontman Christopher Owens has left the group. - Spin
- After reuniting for a tour several years ago, Jesus Lizard are once again done as a band, reports Rolling Stone.
- M83 has been tapped to score next spring's Tom Cruise film Oblivion, a sci-fi feature directed by Joseph Kosinski (Tron: Legacy). - The Playlist
The latest music videos
Lana Del Rey feat. A$AP Rocky, "National Anthem":
Spiritualized, "Little Girl":
The Orb with Lee "Scratch" Perry, "Hold Me Upsetter":
Santigold, "The Keepers":
Doseone, "Thy Pattern":
The Presets, "Youth in Trouble":
Aesop Rock, "ZZZ Top":
Jens Lekman, "Erica America":
Death Grips, "Double Helix":
Odd Future [Tyler, the Creator and Domo Genesis], "Sam Is Dead":
SpaceGhostPurrp, "Osiris Of The East":
Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Brendan's Death Song":
Maroon 5, "One More Night" [directed by Peter Berg; starring Minka Kelly]:
John Mayer, "Queen of California":
Sigur Rós, "Rembihnútur":
Florence + The Machine, "Breaking Down":
In the studio / coming soon
- Divine Fits, the new project featuring Spoon's Britt Daniel, Wolf Parade's Dan Boeckner, and New Bomb Turks' Sam Brown, have announced an August 28 release date for their debut album, A Thing Called the Divine Fits.
- Kendrick Lamar's Interscope debut, to be titled good kid, m.A.A.d. city, will be out on October 2nd. - Pitchfork
- September 11 brings yet another new album by garage rockers Thee Oh Sees, the In The Red release Putrifiers II.
- Though a final tracklist hasn't been confirmed, A$AP Rocky's album LongLiveA$AP looks like it'll arrive on September 11. - Pitchfork
- Out August 20 as a digital release, the LP Pink will compile all of Four Tet's recent 12-inch singles as well as two new tracks. - Resident Advisor
- Charlatans frontman Tim Burgess will release a solo album, Oh No I Love You, on September 24 in the UK; members of Lambchop, Clem Snide, Factory Floor, and My Morning Jacket participated in its recording. - NME
- Tomahawk, the supergroup-ish band featuring guitarist Duane Denison, vocalist Mike Patton, and drummer John Stanier, have been recording their fourth album, Oddfellows, which is tentatively set for a January release. - Rolling Stone
- Guillemots aim to release four albums over the next six months. - NME
- Tilly and the Wall have a new album, Heavy Mood, arriving on October 2. - Pitchfork
- The Dave Matthews Band will release their next album, the Steve Lillywhite-produced Away From The World, on September 11. - JamBase
- Two Gallants return with The Bloom And The Blight on September 4. - Prefix
- Watch a teaser for the upcoming Tame Impala album Lonerism (expected late this year) at YouTube.
- The Vaccines will release their sophomore set The Vaccines Come of Age on September 4th.
- A new How to Dress Well album called Total Loss is set for a September 18 release. - Pitchfork
- Expect a new Roots album (called &TYSYC) before the end of the year.
- Aerosmith have delayed the release of their upcoming album Music From Another Dimension from August until November 6. - Rolling Stone
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The lineup for San Francisco's annual Treasure Island Music Festival has been announced; acts at the October 13-14 event include The xx, Girl Talk, M83, Best Coast, and Public Enemy.
- Mumford and Sons have a U.S. tour planned for late summer; get the itinerary at the band's official site.
- Find dates for a tour featuring Spaceghostpurrp and Trash Talk at Pitchfork.
- Bloc Party have added even more U.S. tour dates; get them at BPM.
- Andrew Bird is touring with Here We Go Magic; Pitchfork has the details.
- Find West Coast dates for Peter Murphy at Pollstar.
- Get a schedule for The Fresh & Onlys at Prefix.
- Prefix also has late summer tour dates for Lightning Bolt.