This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, March 13 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Adrenaline Mob Omerta
- Dave Barnes Stories to Tell LISTEN
- Big Brother and the Holding Company Live At The Carousel Ballroom 1968 LISTEN
- Previously unreleased concert performance featuring Janis Joplin
- Boogie Down Productions South Bronx Teachings: A Collection Of Boogie Down Productions
- Cannibal Corpse Torture
- The Decemberists
We All Raise Our Voices To The Air (Live Songs 04.11-08.11) 2xCD LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- This 20-track double-live album (the band's first) was recorded during last year's tour for The King Is Dead, though it contains material from each of their LPs.
- Del Tha Funky Homosapien I Wish My Brother George Was Here
- Reissue of 1991 debut album
- Delta Spirit Delta Spirit LISTEN
- Demdike Stare Elemental 2xCD
- Dropkick Murphys Going Out In Style: Live at Fenway (Deluxe Edition) 2xCD
- 2011 live album with added bonus disc
- Drudkh Eternal Turn of the Wheel
- Epica Requiem for the Indifferent
- Feedtime Aberrant Years 4xCD LISTEN
- Compiles all recordings from 1978-89
- Fenster Bones LISTEN
- Holly Golightly featuring The Brokeoffs Long Distance
- New recordings of greatest hits plus covers
- Hands Like Houses Ground Dweller
- Vijay Iyer Trio Accelerando
- Shooter Jennings Family Man LISTEN
- The Lake Effect Expect Delays EP
- Le Tigre Le Tigre Live! EP
- Seven live tracks recorded during 2004-2005
- Daniel Licht Silent Hill: Downpour OST
- Lucero Women & Work LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Janiva Magness Stronger for It
- Anya Marina Felony Flats
- Meat Loaf Hell in a Handbasket
- Nedry In a Dim Light LISTEN (3voor12)
- Digital release this week; CD next week
- Once Once Original Cast Recording LISTEN
- Broadway show based on the movie
- One Direction Up All Night
- UK X Factor contestants
- Krzysztof Penderecki / Jonny Greenwood Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima / Popcorn
- Orchestral collaboration between the Polish composer and Radiohead guitarist
- Phillips, Craig & Dean Breathe In
- Psychic TV OV Power
- First official CD release of 1984 concert
- Psychic TV Paramartha
- First official CD release of 1985 concert
- The Saw Doctors Further Adventures of the Saw Doctors
- Say Anything Anarchy My Dear LISTEN (Billboard)
- Soulfly Enslaved
- Spoek Mathambo Father Creeper LISTEN
- The Swell Season The Swell Season DVD
- Tour documentary
- Ting Tings Sounds From Nowheresville LISTEN
- U.S. release
- Tribes Baby LISTEN
- Twin Atlantic Free
- First US release of 2011 album by Scottish band
Ssss LISTEN (3voor12)
- Depeche Mode co-founders Vince Clarke and Martin Gore last recorded together on DM's 1981 debut Speak & Spell, with Gore staying with the band and Clarke leaving to form Yaz(oo) and, later, Erasure. Thirty years later, the pair have collaborated (via email) as VCMG, a techno-heavy electronica project. Their 10-song debut Ssss includes the already released single "Spock."
- Caetano Veloso and David Byrne Live at Carnegie Hall
- Recorded in 2004; features music performed together and separately
- Whirr Pipe Dreams
- Peter White Here We Go
- Xerxes Our Home Is A Deathbed
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Action Bronson & Party Supplies
- ALBUM Blue Chips, a new collaborative mixtape, is available as a free download at DJ Booth.
- TRACK "Get Alive" downloadable at Pitchfork.
- Beach House
- TRACK "Myth," the first song released from their upcoming album Bloom (5/15), streaming at Topspin.
- Bear in Heaven
- TRACK "Sinful Nature," a new single from upcoming album I Love You, It's Cool (due 4/3), streaming at Soundcloud.
- Andrew Bird
- TRACK "Give It Away" is being given away at KCRW.
- The Cribs
- TRACK "Come On, Be A No One" streaming at Stereogum.
- Delicate Steve
- TRACK "Afria Talks to You" from the forthcoming album Positive Force downloadable at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Nowhere is Home," by the band formerly known as Dexy's Midnight Runners, streaming at NME.
- TRACK "Geist" downloadable at Stereogum.
- TRACK "The Full Retard" downloadable at Pitchfork.
- Free Energy
- TRACK "Electric Fever" streaming at Pitchfork.
- The Futureheads
- TRACK "Meet Me Halfway" (Black Eyed Peas cover) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Guided by Voices
- TRACK "Keep It in Motion," from their June album Class Clown Spots a UFO, streaming at Pitchfork.
- The Hives
- TRACK "Go Right Ahead," the band's new single (from their upcoming 6/5 album), streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Icky Blossoms
- TRACK "Babes," from their upcoming Saddle Creek debut LP, downloadable at Rolling Stone.
- TRACK "Neptune" from the upcoming album Diver (out 5/29) downloadable at Matador.
- Lost In The Trees
- ALBUM A Church That Fits Our Needs (out 3/20) streaming now at NPR.
- New Multitudes
- TRACK "Fly High," from the recent collaboration between Jay Farrar, Will Johnson, Anders Parker and Yim Yames, downloadable at KCRW.
- Night Moves
- TRACK "Headlights" by the new Domino signees streaming at Soundcloud.
- Of Montreal
- TRACK "Feminine Effects," their upcoming Record Store Day 7-inch single, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Poor Moon
- TRACK "People in Her Mind," from an upcoming EP for the new project from two members of Fleet Foxes, downloadable at Prefix.
- Lee Ranaldo
- ALBUM Between the Times and the Tides, the solo debut for the Sonic Youth guitarist, streaming at Rolling Stone.
- s / s / s
- TRACK "Museum Day," from the new collaboration between Sufjan Stevens, Son Lux, and Serengeti, streaming at Pitchfork.
- Simian Mobile Disco
- TRACK "Seraphim," to be released as a single on April 9, streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Narrow streaming at The Quietus.
- Esperanza Spalding
- ALBUM Radio Music Society (out next week) streaming this week at NPR.
- TRACK "Surely" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Turn on the Sunshine" downloadable at Stereogum.
- ALBUM Mixed Emotions, the duo's debut album, streaming until its 3/20 release date at NPR.
- Rosie Thomas
- TRACK "Where Were You?" featuring Sufjan Stevens (from their upcoming split single) streaming at BPM.
- TRACK "Shoom" downloadable at KCRW.
- TRACK "Der Microarc" downloadable at Stereogum.
- Waka Flocka Flame
- TRACK "I Don't Really Care" (feat. Trey Songz) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Bobby Womack
- TRACK "Please Forgive My Heart," produced by Damon Albarn, downloadable at Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Wind Was the Wine," from an upcoming split LP with Amps for Christ, streaming at Pitchfork.
- The Young
- TRACKS "Don't Hustle for Love" and "Why Feel Spooky?" both available as free downloads from Matador.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Jay-Z (live performance at SXSW streaming online at 8p ET/5p PT), Keane (Kimmel), Soja (Leno)
- Tuesday: Andrew Bird (Colbert Report), The Chieftains with The Low Anthem (Letterman), Shooter Jennings (Leno), Allen Stone (Kimmel)
- Wednesday: The Crystal Method feat. Martha Reeves (Kimmel), Meat Loaf (Leno), The Ting Tings (Letterman)
- Thursday: Andy Grammer (Leno), The Joy Formidable (Kimmel), Pitbull (Behind the Music, VH1, 9p)
- Friday: Toby Keith (Leno)
Recent artist and industry news
- Radiohead have snuck another new song into their recent live sets; watch them perform "Skirting on the Surface" in Dallas at YouTube. You can also watch their first-ever live performance of older B-side "The Amazing Sounds of Orgy" at YouTube.
- Is New Order's new bassist Tom Chapman faking it on stage? Peter Hook thinks so. - NME
- This year's new inductees into the Country Music Hall of Fame include Garth Brooks and Connie Smith. - Billboard
- The Shins recently performed in New York, and you can watch (or listen to) the full concert at NPR.
The latest music videos
Odd Future, "NY (Ned Flander)":
Sharon Van Etten, "Leonard":
Bowerbirds, "Tuck the Darkness In":
Cass McCombs, "Robin Egg Blue":
Here We Go Magic, "Make Up Your Mind":
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, "Hysterical":
Big K.R.I.T., "Boobie Miles":
Akira The Don feat. Gruff Rhys, "We Wont Be Broke Forever Baby":
Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, "Tapes & Money":
Beach Fossils, "Shallow":
Paul van Dyk, "Eternity":
Father John Misty, "Nancy From Now On" [NSFW]:
Cymbals Eat Guitars, "Definite Darkness":
In the studio / coming soon
- May 15 brings Bloom, a new album by Beach House, to be released on Sub Pop. - Pitchfork
- Portishead isn't quite ready to record a follow-up to 2008's excellent Third, but "there's definitely going to be another record," the band's Geoff Barrow tells The Quietus.
- Speaking of Geoff Barrow, he's also keeping busy with his many side projects, including a new collaborative album with film/TV composer Ben Salisbury; their DROKK—inspired by Judge Dredd—is due May 7. - FACT
- Silversun Pickups return with the Jacknife Lee-produced LP Neck of the Woods, out May 8. - Consequence of Sound
- Best Coast's sophomore album will be called The Only Place, and it's out May 15 on Mexican Summer. Jon Brion produces. - Pitchfork
- No stranger to long album titles, Fiona Apple has titled her next LP The Idler Wheel is wiser than the Driver of the Screw, and Whipping Cords will serve you more than Ropes will ever do. The good news is that it finally has an approximate release date: late June. - Pitchfork
- The previously reported Damon Albarn-produced Bobby Womack album will be called The Bravest Man in the Universe, and it is out June 12 on XL. Lana Del Rey guests. - Pitchfork
- Speaking of Damon Albarn, his recently composed opera Dr. Dee will be released as an album on May 8. - Pitchfork
- Florence + The Machine will release a live MTV Unplugged album later this year; FACT has the tracklist.
- Guided by Voices have only released one album so far in 2012, but that changes in June when Class Clown Spots a UFO arrives. - Fire Records
- A massive Amon Tobin box set is coming on May 21st via Ninja Tune; it'll contain live material, his film and videogame scores, music videos, and tracks never before released on CD. - Resident Advisor
- Cornershop's eighth LP will be called Urban Turban, and it is out on May 14 in the UK. - NME
- Diplo will release a new six-track EP, Express Yourself, in May. - Pitchfork
- 70-year-old Bob Dylan may be recording a new album - Prefix
- The Game has a new studio album, F.I.V.E.: Fear Is Victory's Evolution, in the works, though there's no release date yet. - XXL
- The second album from Lemonade will be called Diver and it's out on May 29. - Matador
- Delicate Steve returns with a second Luaka Bop album, Positive Force, on May 15.
- On June 5th, Kelly Hogan will release I Like to Keep Myself in Pain, her first album in over a decade. It'll feature songs written by Magnetic Fields, Andrew Bird, and other songwriters. - Prefix
- Far*East Movement will release a new album, Dirty Bass, on May 8. - Billboard
- May 22nd brings El-P's newest album, Cancer for Cure. - Pitchfork
- The Raconteurs have a live DVD (and Blu-ray), Live at Montreux 2008, arriving in stores on June 19. - Pitchfork
- Following last year's Hanna, The Chemical Brothers have scored another soundtrack job; they'll provide the music for Louis Leterrier's Now You See Me, which is slated to open next January. - The Playlist
- King Tuff's self-titled second album will be out May 29th; get the details (and a free MP3) at label Sub Pop.
- Japandroids return with a new album, Celebration Rock, in June. - Pitchfork
- Dan the Automator, Del The Funky Homosapien, and Kid Koala will rerelease their first Deltron 3030 album this May (it even comes with its own beer, brewed by Dogfish Head!), and a second Deltron album (Deltron Event II) should arrive this summer. - MTV Hive
- Bob Mould has signed to Merge and will release a new album this fall. - Pitchfork
- Korn frontman Jonathan Davis has a new alter ego (J Devil) and a solo EP coming later this year. - Rolling Stone
- Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly will release a new album, Maps, on May 7 in the UK. - NME
- Carrie Underwood's next album will be called Blown Away, and you can grab it starting May 1st. - Billboard
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The lineup for San Francisco's upcoming (and free) Creators Project festival (March 17-18) will include Shabazz Palaces, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Squarepusher, and James Murphy. More details at the official site.
- Beach House launch their 2012 tour in early May. - Pitchfork
- Get the latest dates for Best Coast at Spin.
- Catch the newly revived Garbage on tour in April. - Pollstar
- Caribou have been booked as the opening act for much of Radiohead's upcoming tour, including North American dates in June. - Pitchfork
- Get May dates for Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros at BPM.
- Barenaked Ladies have enlisted Blues Traveler, Cracker, and Big Head Todd and the Monsters for their Last Summer on Earth tour. - Rolling Stone
- Find new spring tour dates for Washed Out at Pitchfork.
- Tenacious D have added a handful of May dates; find them at Pollstar.
- Get spring dates for Primus at Pollstar.
- Kurt Vile is touring with Black Bananas; get the dates at Pitchfork.
- Jane's Addiction have added new dates in May; get them at Pollstar.
- Throat problems have caused John Mayer to cancel all 21 dates on his current tour. - The Wrap