This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, March 27 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Clay Aiken Steadfast
- Reissue of 2010 album Tried and True adds one new song and a few covers
- The All-American Rejects Kids in the Street
- David Arnold and Michael Price Sherlock: Series 1 OST
- Astra The Black Chord LISTEN
- Badly Drawn Boy Being Flynn OST
- CD release (previously released digitally)
- Belle and Sebastian Late Night Tales 2
- The band's second appearance in the DJ mix series includes one new B&S track, a cover of The Primitives' "Crash"
- Blood Red Shoes In Time to Voices LISTEN (3voor12)
- UK only (Monday)
- Joe Bonamassa Beacon Theatre - Live From New York DVD/Blu-ray
- Borknagar Urd
- Carter Tutti Void Transverse LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- New project from members of Throbbing Gristle and Factory Floor
- The Chemical Brothers Don't Think DVD+CD/Blu-ray+CD
- Concert film shot at Japan's Fujirock Festival (and recorded in Dolby 7:1); includes live CD with 2 new songs
- Chromatics Kill for Love
- Civil Twilight Holy Weather LISTEN
- Cowboy Junkies The Wilderness LISTEN
- Fourth album in the band's Nomad series
- Cynic Portal Tapes
- Mac Demarco Rock and Roll Night Club
- E-40 Block Brochure: Welcome to the Soil Vols. 1-3
- Three separate albums released simultaneously
- Justin Townes Earle Nothing's Going to Change The Way You Feel About Me Now
- Elephant & Castle Transitions LISTEN
- Flying Colors Flying Colors
- Gift of Gab The Next Logical Progression
- God Forbid Equilibrium
- Lindsay Fuller You, Anniversary LISTEN
- Macy Gray Covered LISTEN
- Covers album includes Gray's take on songs by Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Metallica, Eurythmics, and more
- James Horner (+various) Titanic OST [4xCD Collector's Anniversary Edition]
- James Newton Howard The Hunger Games Original Motion Picture Score
- Instrumental score from the film (songs in the movie available on separate soundtrack album)
- Ray Wylie Hubbard The Grifter's Hymnal
- Iron Maiden En Vivo! DVD/Blu-ray
- 2011 concert performance in Chile
- Janus Nox Aeris LISTEN
- Susan Justice Eat Dirt
- La Sera Sees the Light
- Hector Lavoe Anthology 2xCD
- Leftfield Tourism DVD+CD
- Live album; UK only
- Legacy With Peace In Mind
- Madlib Medicine Show: The Brick 13xCD
- Box set compilation of all 13 previously released Medicine Show albums
MDNA [out Monday 3/26]
- Out today on her new label Interscope, the singer's 12th studio album (and first since 2008's Hard Candy 65) includes collaborations with Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. and production from William Orbit, Martin Solveig, and Benny Benassi. Early reviews are a mixed bag; don't go in expecting standout tracks from beginning to end.
- Clint Mansell Last Night OST
- First release of soundtrack to 2010 film
- The Mars Volta
Noctourniquet LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- The Texas prog-rock group led by the duo of Cedric Bixler-Zavala and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez return with their first album in three years. Noctourniquet is another narrative-based collection, reportedly inspired by Greek mythology and 1980s rockers The Godfathers, among other things. Meanwhile, the pair's other band, At the Drive-In, will be reuniting for a tour this spring.
- Meshuggah Koloss
- Miike Snow Happy to You LISTEN (3voor12)
- Ministry Relapse LISTEN
- Reunited band's first album in five years
- Georgia Anne Muldrow & Madlib Seeds
- Britt Nicole Gold
- Oberhofer Time Capsules II LISTEN (Spin)
- Debut album produced by Steve Lillywhite
- Joan Osborne Bring It On Home
- OSI Fire Make Thunder
- Overkill The Electric Age
- Katy Perry Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection
- Reissue of 2010 album adds seven bonus tracks including three new songs
- Poor Moon Illusion EP LISTEN
- New band featuring members of Fleet Foxes
- Races Year of the Witch LISTEN
- The Real Mckenzies Westwinds LISTEN
- Lionel Richie Tuskegee [out Monday 3/26]
- Duets with country stars including Kenny Chesney, Blake Shelton, Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, Shania Twain, Rascal Flatts, and more
- Rocket Juice & The Moon Rocket Juice & The Moon
- New project for Damon Albarn, Flea, and Tony Allen
- Rusko Songs LISTEN
- Shinedown Amaryllis
- THEESatisfaction awE naturalE LISTEN
- Sub Pop debut for Seattle duo of Stasia Irons and Catherine Harris-White
- The Used Vulnerable
- Various Casa de mi Padre OST
- Various The Journey Is Long [out 3/30]
- Unreleased tracks written by late Gun Club frontman Jeffrey Lee Pierce performed by Nick Cave, Debbie Harry, Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell, Barry Adamson, and more
- Paul Weller Sonik Kicks LISTEN
- US release
- Zeus Busting Visions LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Azealia Banks
- TRACK "Fuck Up the Fun," produced by Diplo, downloadable from Stereogum.
- TRACK "Vava Voom," featuring Lupe Fiasco, streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Bear in Heaven
- ALBUM I Love You, It's Cool (out April 3) streaming this week at NPR.
- TRACK "Looking for a Sign," from the Jeff, Who Lives at Home soundtrack, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Best Coast
- TRACK "The Only Place," from their forthcoming album of the same name, downloadable from Pitchfork.
- Big K.R.I.T.
- TRACK "I Got This" streaming at BPM.
- Danny Brown
- TRACK "Grown Up" downloadable at The Fader.
- S. Carey
- TRACK "Two Angles" streaming at Spin.
- TRACK "Secret," with vocals by Martina Topley-Bird, streaming at BPM.
- Graham Coxon
- ALBUM A+E streaming at The Guardian.
- The Cult
- TRACK "For the Animals," from the forthcoming LP Choice of Weapon, streaming at Rolling Stone.
- ALBUM Grinderman 2: RMX (consisting of remixes of tracks by the Nick Cave-fronted band's most recent album) streaming at Prefix.
- High on Fire
- TRACK "Bloody Knuckles" streaming at Spin.
ALBUM De Vermis Mysteriis streaming at NPR.
- Norah Jones
- TRACK "Travelin' On" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lower Dens
- TRACK "Propagation" streaming at BPM.
- Nicki Minaj
- TRACK "Right By My Side" (featuring Chris Brown) streaming at Prefix.
- Mission of Burma
- TRACK "Dust Devil," from their forthcoming album Unsound, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Mount Eerie
- TRACK "House Shape," a single taken from the forthcoming album Clear Moon, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Obie Trice
- TRACK "Richard" (feat. Eminem) streaming at BPM.
- Of Monsters And Men
- ALBUM My Head Is An Animal (out next week) streaming this week at NPR.
- Frank Ocean
- TRACK "Whip Appeal" streaming at Stereogum.
- TRACK "Back in Time," the theme song from Men in Black 3, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
- TRACK "Never Go Back," co-written by Dan Auerbach, streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Sigur Rós
- TRACK "Ekki Múkk," the first track released from their forthcoming album Valtari, streaming at BPM.
- Silversun Pickups
- TRACK "Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings)" streaming at Stereogum.
- Sharon Van Etten
- TRACK "Life of His Own," a new B-side, streaming at Pitchfork.
- Various artists
- ALBUM SP-2012, a 12-track Plug Research label sampler, available as a free download.
- Joe Walsh
- TRACK "Analog Man," the title track from his upcoming solo LP (out 6/5), streaming at Rolling Stone.
- M. Ward
- ALBUM A Wasteland Companion (out April 10) streaming now at NPR.
- Jamie Woon
- TRACK "Street" downloadable from KCRW.
- TRACK "The Shape of Things to Come" streaming at Pitchfork.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Jake Owen (Leno), Shinedown (Kimmel), Swervedriver (Fallon), Train (Letterman), Wallpaper (Carson Daly)
- Tuesday: All-American Rejects (Kimmel), Andrew Bird (Fallon), Macy Gray (Conan), The Pierces (Leno), Lionel Richie with Jason Aldean (Letterman), The Ting Tings (Carson Daly)
- Wednesday: Gavin DeGraw (Leno), Donovan (Conan), Justin Townes Earle (Letterman), White Rabbits (Kimmel), Rachel Yamagata (Carson Daly)
- Thursday: Patrizio Buanne (Fallon), Galactic (Conan), Mat Kearney (Leno), The Naked and Famous (Carson Daly), Esperanza Spalding (Kimmel), T-Pain (VH1's Behind the Music, 9p)
- Friday: Band of Skulls (Letterman), Alan Jackson (Leno), Laura Marling (Carson Daly), Ed Sheeran (Fallon)
Recent artist and industry news
- A new iOS app called Moshcam launched last week, providing over 1,000 hours of streaming HD concert footage from a variety of bands, including The Kills, The Decemberists, Tegan and Sara, Yeasayer, and more.
- The Beatles couldn't do it, but last week boy band One Direction became the first British act to have their debut album open at #1 on Billboard's U.S. album chart. - Billboard
- For a mere $4,230, you can own a gadget that will let you press your own vinyl records. - Prefix
- Milli Vanilli tops Spin's list of the 30 most hated acts of all time.
- Get ready for more installments of R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet; the series returns to IFC later this year.
- Don't expect a White Stripes reunion anytime soon. - NME
- The Morning Benders have changed their name to POP ETC after discovering what the word "bender" means in Europe. - Spin
- It looks like there won't be an Air France album after all; the Swedish duo has split, reports Pitchfork.
The latest music videos
Madonna, "Girl Gone Wild":
Lana Del Rey, "Blue Jeans":
Belle and Sebastian, "Crash":
Simian Mobile Disco, "Cerulean":
Odd Future, "Oldie":
The Cribs, "Come On, Be A No-One":
Rye Rye, "Boom Boom":
Modeselektor feat. Miss Platnum, "Berlin":
Amadou & Mariam feat. Kyp Malone and Tunde Adebimpe, "Wily Kataso":
Com Truise, "Terminal":
La Sera, "Real Boy"/"Drive On":
White Hills, "You Dream You See":
Tanlines, "All of Me":
In the studio / coming soon
- It might not be a a new My Bloody Valentine album, but the news is almost as good: May 7 will bring EP's 1988-1991, a new two-disc compilation of long-out-of-print EP tracks including live staples like "Slow" and "You Made Me Realise," supplemented by other rarities and three previously unreleased cuts. At the same time, remastered versions of albums Isn't Anything and Loveless will be released; the latter as a two-disc set including an alternate, never-before-heard mix by Kevin Shields. - The Quietus
- Valtari is the title of the sixth studio album from Sigur Rós, and it's out May 29th. - Consequence of Sound
- Neil Young and Crazy Horse have a new album called Americana headed to stores on June 5th, and it's filled with covers of classic American folk tunes. Rolling Stone has more details.
- Flaming Lips fans will want to head to their local indie record shop on Record Store Day (April 21st) to pick up the band's new limited edition LP, The Flaming Lips And Heavy Fwends, featuring collaborations with Bon Iver, Nick Cave, Erykah Badu, Tame Impala, and more. - Stereogum
- Mission of Burma return with Unsound on July 9. - Pitchfork
- Tegan and Sara have been in the studio recording their seventh album with a trio of producers (Greg Kurstin, Mike Elizondo, and Justin Meldal-Johnsen); you can track their progress at Rolling Stone.
- Waka Flocka Flame will return with Triple F Life on June 12. - Prefix
- Traps is the name of the second album by Jaill, and it's out June 12th on Sub Pop.
- 50 Cent's next album will arrive July 2nd. - HipHop DX
- The next (still-untitled) album from Liars will arrive June 5th; it was partially produced by Daniel Miller. - Pitchfork
- Neneh Cherry is teaming with free jazz trio The Thing to release a covers album, The Cherry Thing, on June 19th. - Pitchfork
- Del the Funky Homosapien and Parallel Thought have collaborated (for a second time) on the LP Attractive Sin, due June 19. - Prefix
- Heavy Blanket is a new project for J Mascis, and their self-titled debut album, consisting of instrumental psychedelia, is targeted for a May 8 release. Mascis also has the Record Store Day release The Electronic Anthology Project, which consists of synth-pop versions of Dinosaur Jr. tracks that he recorded with Built to Spill's Brett Nelson. - Pitchfork
- Hyperdub will release Quarantine, the debut album for Brooklyn-based producer Laurel Halo, in May. - Resident Advisor
- Rapper SpaceGhostPurrp has signed to 4AD, which will release his next album, Chronicles of SpaceGhostPurrp, on June 12. - Pitchfork
- Maroon 5 return with a new album, Overexposed, on June 26. - Rolling Stone
- Delayed Reaction is the name of Soul Asylum's first album in six years; it arrives on July 17. - Billboard
- Producer Actress could have two new albums, R.I.P. and Ghettoville, released by July. - The Quietus
- A restored version of The Beatles' film Yellow Submarine will arrive on DVD and Blu-ray on May 28; the packages include new bonus material including a making-of documentary. - Billboard
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Drake's summer tour will find the artist joined on many dates by J. Cole, Waka Flocka Flame, and more; details at Pitchfork.
- Get the schedule for Aerosmith's newly announced Global Warming Tour at Rolling Stone.
- Find dates for Dead Can Dance's latest reunion tour at Pollstar.
- Lana Del Rey has some new dates, including a three-day residency in Los Angeles in June and another in New York. - Pitchfork
- Find the newly announced summer tour dates for Feist at Pitchfork.
- Also touring this summer is Norah Jones; get those dates at Pollstar.
- Leonard Cohen will be touring in support of his new album; Rolling Stone has the first batch of European dates, with a North American trip expected in the fall.
- Find new dates for Kurt Vile at Matador.
- Matador also has dates for Perfume Genius.
- KISS and Motley Crue will be sharing headlining duties on a joint summer tour; Billboard has more details.
- Another co-headlining tour this summer will feature Gavin DeGraw and Colbie Caillat. - Pollstar
- The inaugural edition of New York's Catalpa Festival (to be held on Randall's Island the weekend of July 28-29) will include performances by Snoop Dogg, TV On the Radio, the Black Keys, and more. - Pitchfork