This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, April 15 unless otherwise indicated.
The Afghan Whigs
Do to the Beast LISTEN (NPR)
After a decade-long near-dormancy (with only a brief reunion in 2006), the Greg Dulli-fronted alt-rock band—best known for their classic 1993 album Gentlemen—reunited a few years ago for some live dates, followed by a return to the recording studio. The result is this week's Do to the Beast, their first album in 16 years and their first release for Sub Pop since 1992's Congregation, though it's also their first record without original guitarist Rick McCollum.
The Both LISTEN (NPR)
The Both is a new power-pop collaboration between singer-songwriters Aimee Mann and Ted Leo (best known for fronting Ted Leo and the Pharmacists). The longtime friends and tour partners release their self-titled debut album this week on Mann's own SuperEgo label.
Quack LISTEN (Pitchfork)
The duo of DJ/producers Armand Van Helden and A-Trak have released a series of singles, EPs, and terrific music videos under the name Duck Sauce, but Quack is the pair's first full-length album. The new LP blends house music tracks—including the previously released Members-sampling "Radio Stereo" as well as their 2010 hit "Barbra Streisand"—with connecting skits, promos, and phone calls.
Spiderland Limited edition box set LISTEN (NPR)
The indie rock band's influential second and final album, originally released in 1991, gets the deluxe reissue treatment in a new box set that adds outtakes and demos, a 104-page book, a DVD containing a 90-minute documentary, and more. The album itself has been remastered, and is included on both vinyl and CD.
Thee Oh Sees
Drop (Sat 4/19) LISTEN (Pitchfork)
Hot on the heels of his solo debut as Damaged Bug, frontman John Dwyer returns to his main group, Thee Oh Sees, for a follow-up to their 2013 release Floating Coffin. Drop, likely the band's last release for a while as they go on "hiatus" (albeit a hiatus that includes a few live dates), features contributions from Mikal Cronin.
Record Store Day special releases
For a full list of the special releases available in select independent record stores on Saturday, April 19th (as well as a list of participating stores), check out the official RSD site. Highlights include a newly remastered reissue of Joy Division's debut EP, An Ideal for Living, a Songs:Ohia singles box set, the first new material from Veruca Salt in over a decade, a four-LP set of R.E.M.'s Unplugged performances, and much more.
- August Alsina Testimony
- Amps for Christ Canyons Cars and Crows
- Ian Anderson Homo Erraticus LISTEN (Billboard)
- Banner Pilot Souvenir
- The Birds of Satan The Birds of Satan
- Debut for new project led by Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters
- Jack Bruce Silver Rails
- Jim Byrnes St. Louis Times
- Rodney Crowell Tarpaper Sky LISTEN (NY Times)
- Deleted Scenes Lithium Burn LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Jason Derulo Talk Dirty
- Gord Downie, The Sadies, and The Conquering Sun Gord Downie, The Sadies, and The Conquering Sun
- Collaboration between The Sadies and Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip
- Nathan Furst Need for Speed OST
- Gamma Ray Empire of the Undead
- Horse Thief Fear in Bliss
- Japanther Instant Money Magic
- Junkie XL Divergent OST
- Jessica Lea Mayfield Make My Head Sing
- Ingrid Michaelson Lights Out
- Nas Illmatic XX 2xCD
- 20th anniversary reissue adds a bonus disc with rarities and remixes
- NEEDTOBREATHE Rivers in the Wasteland
- The Nels Cline Singers Macroscope
- Paolo Nutini Caustic Love
- [Import only in the US]
- The Oak Ridge Boys Boys Night Out
- Live greatest hits
- Odonis Odonis Hard Boiled Soft Boiled LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Jamie O'Neal Eternal
- Ramona Lisa Arcadia
- Solo debut for Chairlift's Caroline Polachek
- The Secret Sisters Put Your Needle Down
- Sevendust Time Travelers & Bonfires
- Acoustic album
- Shonen Knife Overdrive
- Smoke Fairies Smoke Fairies
- [UK only (14 Apr); a US release follows on 19 May]
- Triptykon Melana Chasmata
- Various Fading Gigolo OST
- Various Petty's Peculiar Picks
- 30-song compilation curated by Tom Petty includes rarities played on his XM Radio show
- Various Shameless: Music From the Television Series OST
- Various The Space Project LISTEN (NPR)
- 14 tracks (each incorporating electromagnetic signals recorded by NASA's two Voyager space probes) by artists including Spiritualized, Beach House, and Youth Lagoon [out Saturday 19 Apr]
- Vensaire Perdix LISTEN (Spin)
- Ben Watt Hendra LISTEN (NPR)
- First solo album for the Everything But the Girl member since 1983 features former Suede guitarist Bernard Butler and, on one track, Pink Floyd's David Gilmour [UK only (14 Apr); a US release follows on 29 Apr]
- Chuck E. Weiss Red Beans and Weiss
- Dan Wilson Love Without Fear
- Woods With Light and With Love LISTEN (Pitchfork)
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Bikini Kill
- TRACK "Girl Soldier" (previously unreleased) streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Black Keys
- TRACK "Turn Blue" streaming at YouTube.
- Black Monolith
- ALBUM Passenger (out 4/22) streaming at Stereogum.
- TRACK "Quicksilver" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Charli XCX
- TRACK "Boom Clap" streaming at MTV.
- Daphni & Owen Pallett
- TRACKS "Julia" and "Tiberius" streaming at FACT.
- ALBUM Death III streaming until its 4/22 release at NPR.
- Disclosure & Friend Within
- TRACK "The Mechanism" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lana Del Rey
- TRACK "West Coast" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Days in the East" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Echo & The Bunnymen
- TRACK "Lovers on the Run" streaming at The Quietus.
TRACK "Holy Moses" streaming at USA Today.
- TRACK "Where I'm From" streaming at YouTube.
- Brian Eno & Karl Hyde
- TRACK "Daddy's Car" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Felice Brothers
- TRACK "Cherry Licorice" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Fresh & Onlys
- TRACK "Animal of One" streaming at NPR.
- TRACK "I Won" (feat. Kanye West) streaming at YouTube.
- Girl Talk & Freeway
- ALBUM Broken Ankles EP downloadable from DatPiff.
- TRACK "Crossfade" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Food streaming until its 4/22 release at NPR.
- Killer Mike & The Alchemist
- TRACK "The Boonies" downloadable from Stereogum.
- TRACK "Atom to Atom" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Led Zeppelin
- TRACK "Good Times Bad Times/Communication Breakdown [live]" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- TRACK "2 is 8" streaming at YouTube.
- Walter Martin
- TRACK "We Like the Zoo ('Cause We're Animals Too)" (feat. Matt Berninger) streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Menzingers
- ALBUM Rented World (out 4/22) streaming at Spin.
- Nicki Minaj
- TRACK "Chi-Raq" (feat. Lil Herb) streaming at Soundcloud.
- RAC feat. Peter Moren
- TRACK "All I Got" streaming at Billboard.
- TRACK "The Living Room" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Reigning Sound
- TRACK "Falling Rain" streaming at Spin.
- The Roots
- TRACK "When The People Cheer" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Ed Sheeran
- TRACK "Sing" streaming at YouTube.
- Sigur Rós
- TRACK "The Rains of Castamere" (from HBO's Game of Thrones) streaming at YouTube.
- Alexis Taylor [of Hot Chip]
- TRACK "Elvis Has Left The Building" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- ALBUM The Way And Color (out 4/22) streaming at Pitchfork.
- Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra
- TRACK "Birds Toss Precious Flowers" (from the Hang on to Each Other EP, out 4/29) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Wait for a Minute" streaming at YouTube.
- Chad VanGaalen
- TRACK "Monster" streaming at YouTube.
- ALBUM Farewell Transmission: The Music Of Jason Molina streaming until its 4/22 release at NPR.
- Tom Vek
- TRACK "Sherman (Animals In The Jungle)" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: MGMT (Conan)
- Wednesday: Bastille (Conan), The National (Live From The Artists Den, Palladia 9p ET)
- Thursday: Broken Bells (Conan)
Recent artist and industry news
- Imagine Dragons and Lorde are among the leading finalists for this year's Billboard Music Awards, to be announced on May 18th.
The latest music videos
The Both, "Milwaukee":
Lykke Li, "No Rest For The Wicked":
Warpaint, "Disco//Very + Keep It Healthy":
Queens Of The Stone Age, "Smooth Sailing":
Kevin Drew, "Mexican Aftershow Party":
Wild Beasts, "A Simple Beautiful Truth":
Eels, "Mistakes Of My Youth":
Todd Terje, "Leisure Suit Preben":
Atmosphere, "Kanye West":
Alicia Keys feat. Kendrick Lamar, "It's On Again":
Sharon Van Etten, "Taking Chances":
Hamilton Leithauser, "11 O'Clock Friday Night":
In the studio / coming soon
- The Roots' upcoming album, ...And Then You Shoot Your Cousin, has been given a May 13 release date.
- Robyn and Röyksopp aren't just touring together; they have a joint five-song EP, Do It Again, out May 26th. - Billboard
- Tom Vek's third album, Luck, will be out June 9th.
- Now that she has left the Pixies, Kim Deal is working on a new album with her other band, The Breeders. - Stereogum
- A new Boris album, Noise, arrives June 17th.
- You can own a digital copy of Aphex Twin's unreleased, never-before-heard 1994 album Caustic Window by contributing to a Kickstarter. After that, the only known physical copy will be auctioned on eBay. - WATMM
- Bids (including one for $5 million) have started to come in for the Wu-Tang Clan's double album The Wu — Once Upon a Time in Shaolin. Only one copy of the album (which contains 31 new tracks by the full group) will be manufactured and sold. - Billboard
- It looks like Muse will head to the studio in May to begin work on their next album. - NME
- The Felice Brothers return with Favorite Waitress on June 17th. - Esquire
- A new Gorillaz album is one of the many possibilities for Damon Albarn's near future. - NME
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Aerosmith launch their summer tour in July. - Pollstar
- The Antlers kick off their summer tour at the end of June. - Pitchfork
- The Clientele will reunite for a short tour in July. - Pitchfork
- Cut Copy have club and festival dates lined up for the summer. - CoS
- Drive-By Truckers will be on the road from now through mid-July. - CoS
- Michael Franti will combine music and yoga on a summer tour. - Pollstar
- RiFF RAFF's just-begun North American tour runs through mid-May. - Pitchfork
- Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes has a solo tour planned for late spring. - Pollstar
- Robyn and Röyksopp will tour this summer as co-headliners. - Billboard
- Ed Sheeran kicks off an arena tour on August 22nd. - Billboard
- Shonen Knife visit the U.S. this fall. - Pollstar
- Stephen Stills has scheduled solo dates for May. - Pollstar
- Justin Timberlake will revisit North America at the end of this year. - Billboard
- Jack White will tour behind his upcoming solo album. - Pitchfork