This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, April 22 unless otherwise indicated.
The New Classic
Rising to fame on the strength of early viral videos, a pair of mixtapes (including the Diplo-produced TrapGold), and a recent support slot on Beyonce's tour, the 23-year-old, Australian-born rapper (real name: Amethyst Amelia Kelly) finally releases her debut studio album this week after a series of delays (and record label changes). The New Classic includes collaborations with T.I., Charli XCX, and Rita Ora, but early reviews are mixed at best.
As the title suggests, Mark Everett's 11th Eels album (following last year's Wonderful, Glorious) is highly personal and introspective in nature. It's also a relatively slow and quiet affair, with E accompanied by a string section. A deluxe edition adds a bonus disc with 13 extra tracks.
Honest LISTEN (MTV)
Honest is the second studio album from Atlanta rapper Future. His follow-up to 2012's Pluto features Kanye West, Andre 3000, Drake, Pharrell, Wiz Khalifa, Pusha T, and more. The deluxe edition adds six tracks, including previously released singles "Karate Chop" (with Lil Wayne) and "Shit."
Food LISTEN (NPR)
Professionally trained chef-turned-recording-artist Kelis brings her obsession with all things edible (including a gig hosting a Cooking Channel series and her recent food truck at SXSW) to the recording studio with Food, her sixth album and first for new label Ninja Tune. The entire set is produced by TV on the Radio's Dave Sitek, and most reviewers have good things to say about the result.
A Letter Home
A surprise release last Friday (on vinyl; there's no word yet on a CD version), A Letter Home is a covers album recorded at Jack White's Third Man shop in a vintage 1940s-era Voice-o-Graph recording booth. Included are Young's take on songs by Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Gordon Lightfoot, Bert Jansch, and more.
- Army of the Pharaohs In Death Reborn
- Augustana Life Imitating Life
- Sebastian Bach Give Em' Hell
- Francesca Battistelli If We're Honest
- Drake Bell Ready Steady Go
- Black Monolith Passenger LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Black Prairie Fortune
- Boyce Avenue No Limits EP LISTEN (Billboard)
- Cabaret Voltaire Drinking Gasoline CD+DVD
- Remastered 1985 four-song EP (on CD for the first time, not including the recent 8385 box set) includes a copy of the rare Gasoline in Your Eye video compilation on DVD
- Death Death III LISTEN (NPR)
- Third archival compilation from the Detroit trio includes previously unreleased tracks recorded during the 1970s, 1980, and 1992
- John Debney Draft Day OST
- Down 'N' Outz The Further Adventures of Down 'N' Outz
- Fear of Men Loom LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Heterotic Weird Drift
- Keb Mo Bluesamericana
- The Kooks Down EP
- Little Feat Live in Holland 1976 CD+DVD
- G. Love and Special Sauce Sugar
- Clint Mansell Filth OST
- Margot & the Nuclear So and So's Sling Shot to Heaven
- Jeff McIlwain and David Wingo Joe OST
- The Menzingers Rented World LISTEN (Spin)
- The Ministry of Wolves Music From Republik Der Wölfe
- Neon Trees Pop Psychology
- The Newton Brothers Oculus OST
- Asher Roth RetroHash
- Joe Satriani The Complete Studio Recordings Box set
- TEEN The Way And Color LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- To Kill A King Cannibals With Cutlery
- Tourist Patterns EP
- Various DCOnstructed
- EDM remixes of songs from Disney films
- Various Farewell Transmission: The Music of Jason Molina 2xCD LISTEN (NPR)
- Tribute album features covers of Molina's songs (including Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co.) by My Morning Jacket, Black Swans, and more
- Various Here Lies Love OST 2xCD
- Cast recording from the stage musical written by David Byrne and Fatboy Slim features seven additional songs not included on the original studio release of the same name
- The Whigs Modern Creation LISTEN (Esquire)
- Winger Better Days Comin'
- Hans Zimmer and the Magnificent Six The Amazing Spider-Man 2 OST 2xCD
- Johnny Marr and Pharrell Williams are among the contributors to a soundtrack that also features the new Alicia Keys/Kendrick Lamar track "It's On Again"
More streaming and downloadable new music
- TRACK "Tree of Life" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Amen Dunes
- TRACK "I Can't Dig It" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Camper Van Beethoven
- TRACK "It Was Like That When We Got Here" streaming at Consequence of Sound.
- TRACK "Ezra's Interlude" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Nels Cline Singers
- ALBUM Macroscope streaming until its 4/29 release at NPR.
- Cut Copy
- TRACK "In These Arms Of Love" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Brody Dalle
- ALBUM Diploid Love streaming until its 4/29 release at NPR.
- The Ghost Of A Saber Tooth Tiger
- ALBUM Midnight Sun streaming until its 4/29 release at NPR.
- Hundred Waters
- TRACK "Xtalk" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- The Julie Ruin
- TRACK "Brightside" (Record Store Day single) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lykke Li
- TRACK "Gunshot" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "High Road" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
- TRACK "Eurydice" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Percussions [aka Four Tet]
- TRACK "Ascii Bot" (new 12-inch out 4/28) streaming at Soundcloud.
TRACK "Blatant Water Cannon" (b-side) streaming at Soundcloud.
TRACK "KHLHI" (from a second new 12-inch out 4/28) streaming at Soundcloud.
TRACK "Sext" (b-side) streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Indie Cindy streaming until its 4/29 release at NPR.
- ALBUM Reachy Prints (out 5/19) streaming at 3voor12.
- TRACK "The Breakdown" streaming at Audiomack.
- Prins Thomas
- ALBUM III streaming at Hype Machine.
- Chris Robinson Brotherhood
- TRACK "Beggar's Moon" streaming at Billboard.
- Rodrigo y Gabriela
- ALBUM 9 Dead Alive streaming until its 4/29 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Indy" (feat. Miguel) streaming at YouTube.
- Bruce Springsteen
- TRACK "Hurry Up Sundown" streaming at NPR.
- TRACK "Oxygen" streaming at YouTube.
- Twin Shadow
- TRACK "To the Top" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Chad VanGaalen
- ALBUM Shrink Dust (out next week) streaming at Pitchfork.
- Paul Weller
- TRACK "Brand New Toy" (new song on upcoming greatest hits compilation) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Jack White
- TRACK "Lazaretto" (album version) streaming at YouTube.
- Wye Oak
- ALBUM Shriek streaming until its 4/29 release at NPR.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Chromeo (Kimmel), Death (Arsenio), Jason Derulo (Meyers), Christina Perri (Letterman)
- Tuesday: Beck (Kimmel), Kelis (Letterman), Rita Ora (Fallon)
- Wednesday: Foster the People (Kimmel), Future featuring Pusha T (Fallon), Lyle Lovett (Craig Ferguson), Needtobreathe (Letterman), Paramore (Meyers)
- Thursday: Cut Copy (Kimmel), Earth, Wind & Fire (Arsenio), Ray LaMontagne (Letterman), Steven Tyler & Joe Perry (Fallon)
- Friday: Alicia Keys & Kendrick Lamar (Fallon), Naughty Boy (Letterman)
Recent artist and industry news
- Jack White's attempt to make the world's fastest record last Saturday was a success, with his live version of "Lazaretto" going from recording to pressing to sale in just under 4 hours. Rolling Stone recounts the story.
- Neil Young raised over $6.2 million via Kickstarter for his Pono high-fidelity music technology, a dollar amount that ranks #3 in Kickstarter history. - Rolling Stone
The latest music videos
Parquet Courts, "Sunbathing Animal":
Real Estate, "Crime" [directed by Tom Scharpling, starring Andy Daly and Nick Kroll]:
OFF!, "Red White and Black" [starring Dave Foley and Brian Posehn]:
Converge, "All We Love We Leave Behind":
The Horrors, "So Now You Know":
Sky Ferreira, "I Blame Myself":
Mazzy Star, "I'm Less Here":
Marissa Nadler, "Drive":
Courtney Barnett, "Anonymous Club":
The Faint, "Evil Voices":
Future feat. Kanye West, "I Won":
In the studio / coming soon
- Prince has reunited with label Warner Bros. in a deal that will grant him ownership of his back catalog. Expect an expanded, remastered reissue of Purple Rain this year, and likely a new album as well. - Los Angeles Times, Billboard
- Camper Van Beethoven will release their 9th album, El Camino Real, on June 3rd.
- Beck is still on track to release a second (and "more boisterous") album before the end of the year. - Billboard
- A new Foo Fighters album is about "halfway done." - NME
- The Who could record a new album this year. - Billboard
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Jay-Z's Philadelphia festival Made in America will return this year, along with its simultaneous debut on the West Coast in downtown Los Angeles, over Labor Day Weekend. - Los Angeles Times
- Broken Bells have summer dates planned for June and August. - CoS
- Zac Brown Band will tour this summer. - Billboard
- Fuck Buttons have a dozen summer dates lined up. - Pitchfork
- Maxwell has just announced dates for a lengthy summer tour. - Pitchfork
- Paul McCartney has added U.S. dates to his upcoming tour. - CoS
- Steely Dan will be on the road for most of the summer. - Pollstar
- Veruca Salt's original lineup will tour together for the first time in two decades. - Pollstar