This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, August 14 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- 2 Chainz Based on a T.R.U. Story
- Black Light Burns The Moment You Realize You're Going to Fall LISTEN
- Blackberry Smoke The Whippoorwill
- Jon Brion ParaNorman OST LISTEN
- Dead Can Dance
Anastasis LISTEN (3voor12)
- Spiritchaser, the seventh and final album by Dead Can Dance before the duo of Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard split after over 15 years together, landed on record store shelves in 1996. Though the pair reunited briefly to tour in 2005, no new music was forthcoming ... until this week, when Anastasis ("resurrection" in Greek) arrives as their eighth studio album. Though Dead Can Dance are no longer on 4AD, longtime fans will find the new album plenty familiar, as it once again aims for a mystical blend of modern art rock with centuries-old musical styles from cultures around the globe, with the duo splitting vocal duties as always.
- Dignan Porch Nothing Bad Will Ever Happen
- The Faceless Autotheism
- In This Moment Blood
- Insane Clown Posse Mighty Death Pop
- The Kinks The Kinks At The BBC 5xCD+DVD
- Box set (available as an import in the U.S.) compiles various studio sessions and live recordings made for the BBC; also available as a paired-down 2xCD set [13 Aug]
- Kottonmouth Kings Mile High LISTEN
- Jesper Kyd Darksiders II OST
- Lijadu Sisters Horizon Unlimited
- Loverboy Rock 'n' Roll Revival
- New recordings of prior hits, plus three new songs
- Mexican Institute of Sound Politico
- Nude Beach II
- Mike Oldfield Two Sides: The Very Best of Mike Oldfield 2xCD
- Ride Going Blank Again CD+DVD
- 20th anniversary reissue includes the remastered album plus a DVD with a concert performance from Brixton Academy [UK only; 13 Aug]
- Shed The Killer
- Slightly Stoopid Top of the World LISTEN
- Staind Live From Mohegan Sun Blu-ray/DVD
- Ben Taylor Listening LISTEN
- Steve Vai The Story of Light LISTEN
Just Tell Me That You Want Me:
A Tribute To Fleetwood Mac LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Whether or not you're a fan of Fleetwood Mac, you probably are familiar with some (if not many) of the artists covering their classic songs on this tribute album. The impressive roster of performers here includes The New Pornographers, MGMT, The Kills, Washed Out, Best Coast, St. Vincent, Tame Impala, Lykke Li, Lee Ranaldo, J Mascis, Antony, and Bonnie Prince Billy.
- WHY? Sod In The Seed EP LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Yellowcard Southern Air LISTEN
- James Yorkston I Was a Cat from a Book LISTEN (3voor12)
- [UK only; 13 Aug]
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Airbird [Joel Ford of Ford & Lopatin]
- TRACK "Long Lake" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
- ALBUM Mature Themes streaming until its 8/21 release at NPR.
- Azure Ray
- TRACK "Red Balloon" streaming at NPR.
- Cat Power
- TRACK "Cherokee" (as well as a remix of it by Nicolas Jaar) downloadable from Spin.
- Matthew Dear
- TRACK "Earthforms" downloadable at Pitchfork.
- Divine Fits
- ALBUM A Thing Called Divine Fits streaming until its 8/28 release at NPR.
TRACK "Would That Not Be Nice" downloadable from KCRW.
- TRACK "97 Heart Attack" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Fresh & Onlys
- TRACK "Presence of Mind" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- The Helio Sequence
- TRACK "Hall of Mirrors" downloadable from Rolling Stone.
- Hooray for Earth
- TRACK "Never" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Kid Cudi
- TRACK "Just What Iam" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Tripolar" streaming at KCRW.
- Lavender Diamond
- TRACK "Everybody's Heart's Breaking Now" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Rà-àkõ-st" downloadable from Stereogum.
- TRACK "Very Large Green Triangles (Edit)" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Alanis Morissette
- TRACK "Receive" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Mumford & Sons
- TRACK "I Will Wait" streaming at YouTube.
- Beth Orton
- TRACK "Magpie" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Lee "Scratch" Perry
- TRACK "Soul Man (Reprise)" downloadable from Rolling Stone.
- Ty Segall
- TRACK "The Hill" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Simian Mobile Disco
- TRACK "A Form of Change" (from an upcoming EP of the same name) streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Elliott Smith
- TRACK "Punch and Judy" (previously unreleased alternate version) streaming/on sale at Bandcamp.
- TRACK "Backlines" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Teengirl Fantasy
- ALBUM Tracer streaming until its 8/21 release at NPR.
- Thee Oh Sees
- TRACK "Flood's New Light" downloadable from Stereogum.
- Jesse Ware
- TRACK "Sweet Talk" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Wild Nothing
- TRACK "Paradise" downloadable from Stereogum.
- TRACK "Size Meets the Sound" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The xx
- TRACK "Chained" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- ALBUM Fragrant World streaming until its 8/21 release at NPR.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Alabama Shakes (Kimmel), fun. (Colbert Report), Glen Hansard (Letterman), Norah Jones (Leno), Needtobreathe (Fallon)
- Tuesday: Good Old War (Kimmel), Grimes (Fallon), Grizzly Bear (Colbert Report), Rodriguez (Letterman), Ryan Star (Leno)
- Wednesday: JJAMZ (Kimmel), Rick Ross (Letterman), Santigold (Colbert Report), Dwight Yoakam (Leno)
- Thursday: The Fixx (Kimmel), The Flaming Lips (Colbert Report), Ben Howard (Letterman), Neon Hitch (Fallon), Regina Spektor (Leno)
- Friday: 2 Chainz (Fallon), The Offspring (Leno), Allen Stone (Letterman)
The latest music videos
Tom Waits, "Hell Broke Luce":
WHY?, "Sod in the Seed":
Freddie Gibbs and Madlib, "Shame":
Gotye, "Save Me":
Jens Lekman, "I Know What Love Isn't":
Talib Kweli feat. Curren$y & Kendrick Lamar, "Push Thru":
Japandroids, "The House That Heaven Built":
Black Moth Super Rainbow, "Windshield Smasher":
Eternal Summers, "You Kill":
Sigur Rós, "Varðeldur":
In the studio / coming soon
- Over 10 years after the singer's death, a posthumous album featuring previously unreleased tracks by Aaliyah is currently being assembled for a late 2012 release by executive producers Drake and Noah "40" Shebib. - Billboard
- Though the album is not yet complete, M.I.A.'s next will be called Matangi, and it should arrive in December. - Stereogum
- Deadmau5's new album really is titled album title goes here, and it arrives on September 25; Gerard Way, Imogen Heap, and Cypress HIll guest. - Billboard
- Local Business is the name of a new Titus Andronicus album, and it's due October 23rd via XL Recordings. - Pitchfork
- A new Edwyn Collins solo album, Understated, should arrive in 2013. - The Quietus
- System Preferences will be the first new Earlimart album in four years when it arrives on October 16 (or September 18 if you merely want the digital version).
- Beck's new album Song Reader will be available in a rather unconventional format: as a book of sheet music published in December by McSweeney's. So if you want to hear the new songs, you'll have to perform them yourself.
- Death Grips have a quick follow-up to their acclaimed 2012 album The Money Store planned for a fall release; the band expects to release NO LOVE DEEP WEB in late October, though they are still completing work on the LP. - Pitchfork
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The surviving members of The Monkees—including previous holdout Michael Nesmith—will tour together for the first time in 15 years this fall. - Rolling Stone
- Guns N' Roses have announced a Las Vegas residency that will include 12 performances at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino this fall. - Billboard
- Aimee Mann will be joined by a solo Ted Leo on a tour this fall. - Matador
- Crooked Fingers and John Vanderslice have a co-headlining tour set for the fall; get the dates at Merge.
- Get fall dates for Rachael Yamagata at Pollstar.
- Cat Power will support her upcoming album with a fall North American tour. - Matador
- Find North American dates for Rustie at Warp.
- Sub Pop has the fall tour schedule for The Helio Sequence.
- Tame Impala will be touring the U.S. this fall. - Pitchfork
- Get dates for Delta Spirit's fall tour at Pollstar.