This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, August 27 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Alabama Alabama & Friends
- AlunaGeorge Body Music LISTEN (KCRW)
- US release
- Avenged Sevenfold Hail to the King
- The Beach Boys Made in California 6xCD
- Box set traces the band's entire career, combining studio tracks with demos, live recordings, and other rarities
- Belle and Sebastian The Third Eye Centre LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- B-sides and rarities compilation
- Big Sean Hall of Fame
- The rapper's second studio album features Miguel, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, and Kid Cudi
- Black Joe Lewis Electric Slave LISTEN (Paste)
- Disappears Era
- The Dodos Carrier
- Drumgasm Drumgasm LISTEN (Spin)
- Debut for the new all-drum supergroup featuring Janet Weiss (Sleater-Kinney/Wild Flag), Zach Hill (Hella/Death Grips), and Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam/Soundgarden); album contains two 20-minute songs, both called "Drumgasm"
- Bob Dylan The Bootleg Series, Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait (1969-1971) 2xCD
- Contains outtakes from his oft-criticized album Self Portrait plus its follow-up, New Morning; a deluxe edition adds a remastered version of the original Self Portrait album plus a live set on two bonus CDs
- Everlast The Life Acoustic
- Franz Ferdinand
Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action
- It's not exactly groundbreaking stuff, but fans of Franz Ferdinand should be happy to have a fourth album from the Scottish indie rockers after a four-year absence. The self-produced LP is receiving mostly solid reviews from critics, who seem to like it about as much as 2009's Tonight.
- Flaamingos Flaamingos LISTEN (3voor12)
- John Frusciante Outsides EP
- Philip Glass Concert of the Sixth Sun
- Goodie Mob Age Against the Machine
- First album with original member Cee Lo Green back in the lineup since the 1990s
- Jars of Clay Inland
- Juicy J Stay Trippy
- King Krule 6 Feet Beneath the Moon LISTEN (Official site)
- Malcolm Kirby Jr Saints Row IV OST
- Mandisa Overcomer
- Dent May Warm Blanket
- Porches. Slow Dance In The Cosmos LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Puscifer All Re-Mixed Up
- Remixes of songs from Conditions of My Parole
- The Rides Can't Get Enough
- Foy Vance Joy of Nothing
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Au Revoir Simone
- TRACK "Crazy" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Frosted Tips" streaming at YouTube.
- Anna Calvi
- TRACK "Eliza" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Death Grips
- TRACK "Birds" downloadable from Stereogum.
- The Dirtbombs
- TRACK "Crazy for You" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Dismemberment Plan
- TRACK "Invisible" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Dr. Dog
- TRACK "Broken Heart" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Frightened Rabbit
- TRACK "Radio Silence" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Shape" streaming at YouTube.
- Holy Ghost!
- TRACK "It's Okay" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Julie Ruin
- ALBUM Run Fast streaming through its 9/3 release at NPR.
- King Khan & The Shrines
- ALBUM Idle No More (out 9/3) streaming at Spin.
- Cass McCombs
- TRACK "There Can Be Only One" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "UNBREAK my Mixtape" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Okkervil River
- ALBUM The Silver Gymnasium streaming through its 9/3 release at NPR.
- Jonathan Rado
- ALBUM Law and Order streaming through 9/2 at Pitchfork.
- Tears for Fears
- TRACK "Ready to Start" (Arcade Fire cover) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Chelsea Wolfe
- TRACK "The Waves Have Come" streaming at Soundcloud.
ALBUM Pain Is Beauty streaming through 9/2 at Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Corduroys" streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Tuesday: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (Leno), Robert Randolph and the Family Band (Letterman)
- Wednesday: In The Valley Below (Letterman), Sky Blu (Leno)
- Thursday: Rod Stewart (Leno)
- Friday: Booker T. Jones with Mayer Hawthorne (Leno)
Recent artist and industry news
- Broadway Idiot, a documentary about the adaptation of Green Day's American Idiot album into a Broadway musical, will screen in theaters beginning October 18th (one week earlier in New York and Los Angeles).
- The MTV Video Music Awards were handed out last night; here's a list of winners. Justin Timberlake's "Mirrors" was named video of the year.
- Arcade Fire have confirmed the speculation that the recent "Reflektor" viral marketing campaign has something to do with their upcoming album; set your alarm for 9/9 at 9 to find out more. - Pitchfork
The latest music videos
Nirvana, "Heart-Shaped Box" [director's cut]:
Mount Kimbie, "Home Recording":
Depeche Mode, "Should Be Higher" [live]:
Pearl Jam, "Mind Your Manners":
Robin Thicke, "Give It 2 U":
So So Glos, "Lost Weekend":
In the studio / coming soon
- There's a new Eminem album coming November 5th: The Marshall Mathers LP 2. A new single, "Berserk," is out tomorrow.
- Pusha T's next album, My Name Is My Name, now has an October 8th release date; Kanye West, Pharrell, and The-Dream are among the guests. - Billboard
- Laurel Halo has a new album, Chance Of Rain, due October 28th. - Pitchfork
- Domino will release Big Wheel And Others, a new double album from Cass McCombs, on October 15th.
- Danny Brown's upcoming album Old will now arrive September 30th.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.