This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, August 28 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- The Amazing Gentle Stream
- Digital release
- A$AP Mob Lords Never Worry
- The Beach Boys Doin' It Again DVD/Blu-ray
- Includes live performances, interviews, and a look at recording sessions from 2012 and 1966.
- Nick Cave / Various Lawless OST LISTEN
- Film soundtrack includes new music by Cave and also includes tracks featuring Ralph Stanley, Mark Lanegan, Willie Nelson, and Emmylou Harris
- Circa Survive Violent Waves LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Robert Cray Band Nothin But Love
- Dan Deacon America LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Matthew Dear Beams LISTEN (NME)
- Divine Fits
A Thing Called Divine Fits LISTEN (3voor12)
- A "supergroup" only if you count Pitchfork, Stereogum, or Brooklyn Vegan among your must-reads, the new indie rock outfit Divine Fits is populated by Spoon frontman Britt Daniel, Handsome Furs/Wolf Parade member Dan Boeckner, and Sam Brown of New Bomb Turks. Their debut album A Thing Called Divine Fits indeed sounds a bit like the sum of its parts, borrowing from Spoon's slick minimalism and Handsome Furs' more keyboard-oriented sound and occasional New Wave fetish, with Boeckner and Daniel splitting vocal duties.
- Dwele Greater Than One LISTEN
- Easy Star All-Stars Easy Star's Thrillah LISTEN
- Reggae covers of Michael Jackson songs
- Elbow Dead in the Boot
- B-sides compilation [UK only; 27 Aug]
- Jim Gaffigan Mr. Universe
- Comedy album
- Art Garfunkel The Singer 2xCD LISTEN
- Double-disc career retrospective includes solo work as well as Simon & Garfunkel hits
- Chilly Gonzales Solo Piano II
- Juliana Hatfield Juliana Hatfield
- Covers albums
- Richard Hawley Standing at the Sky's Edge
- U.S. release
- Bruce Hornsby Red Hook Summer OST
- Holy Other Held LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Katatonia Dead End Kings
- Kitten Cut It Out EP
- Alvin Lee Still on the Road to Freedom
- Maximo Park The National Health
- U.S. CD release
- Minus the Bear Infinity Overhead LISTEN
- Alanis Morissette Havoc and Bright Lights LISTEN
- The Orb featuring Lee "Scratch" Perry The Orbserver in the Star House
- Passenger All the Little Lights LISTEN
- Poor Moon Poor Moon LISTEN
- Full-length debut for Sub Pop artists
- The Rippingtons Built to Last LISTEN
- Sean Rowe The Salesman and the Shark LISTEN (3voor12)
- Roxy Music The Complete Studio Recordings 1972 - 1982 10xCD LISTEN (sampler)
- Box set compiles all eight studio albums by the legendary English band and adds two discs of singles and B-sides (many of which have never been released on CD)
- Harry Shearer Can't Take a Hint
- Guests on the comedian's music album include Fountains of Wayne, Dr. John, and Jane Lynch
- Beanie Sigel This Time LISTEN
- Slaughterhouse Welcome To: Our House
- Eminem, Busta Rhymes, and Cee-Lo Green are among the features on the second LP for the hip-hop supergroup consisting of Crooked I, Joe Budden, Joell Ortiz, and Royce da 5'9"
- Swans The Seer 2xCD
- Guests on the two-hour album include Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs), Alan Sparhawk and Mimi Parker (Low), and members of Akron/Family and Mercury Rev.
- Tamia Beautiful Surprise
- Teen In Limbo
- TobyMac Eye On It
- Uncle Lucius And You Are Me
- Wild Nothing Nocturne
- Frank Zappa [Various reissues]
- Second batch of reissues (each sold separately) includes Zoot Allures, Over-Nite Sensation, Sleep Dirt, Studio Tan, Sheik Yerbouti, Grand Wazoo, Roxy & Elsewhere, Bongo Fury, Waka/Jawaka, Apostrophe ('), Zappa In New York, and One Size Fits All; more to follow in September
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Animal Collective
- ALBUM Centipede Hz streaming until its 9/4 release at NPR.
- Cat Power
- ALBUM Sun streaming until its 9/4 release at NPR.
- ALBUM Breakup Song streaming until its 9/4 release at NPR.
- Bob Dylan
- TRACK "Duquesne Whistle" streaming at NPR.
- Mark Eitzel
- TRACK "I Love You But You're Dead" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Dan Friel
- TRACK "Valedictorian" downloadable from Stereogum.
- Future Islands
- TRACK "Tomorrow" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lightning Bolt
- TRACK "King Candy," from upcoming rarities comp Oblivion Hunter (out 9/25), streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Capsule" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Mount Eerie
- TRACK "World Heaves" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Madness" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- TRACK "Tormentas" downloadable from Rolling Stone.
- R. Ring [new project for Kelley Deal of The Breeders]
- TRACK "Fallout & Fire" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Elliott Smith
- TRACK "Ballad of Big Nothing (Alternate version)" streaming at Bandcamp.
- ALBUM The North streaming until its 9/4 release at NPR.
- Two Door Cinema Club
- ALBUM Beacon streaming at NME.
- Two Gallants
- ALBUM The Bloom and the Blight streaming at Rolling Stone.
- TRACK "Bad Insect" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Wild Nothing
- TRACK "Paradise" downloadable from Rolling Stone.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Neon Trees (Letterman), Joshua Radin (Leno), Silversun Pickups (Conan)
- Tuesday: The Flaming Lips (performing Dark Side of the Moon on Palladia, 9p), Hacienda (Letterman), Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen (Leno), Andrew WK (Conan)
- Wednesday: The Chevin (Letterman), Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen (Conan), Tristan Prettyman (Leno)
- Thursday: The Heavy (Letterman)
The latest music videos
Dinosaur Jr., "Watch the Corners" [starring Tim Heidecker]:
Bob Mould, "The Descent":
Garbage, "Big Bright World":
Band of Horses, "Knock Knock":
Aesop Rock, "Cycles to Gehenna":
Nicki Minaj feat. Rick Ross and Cam'ron, "I Am Your Leader":
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, "Only In My Dreams":
Sleigh Bells, "End of the Line":
Peaking Lights, "Dreambeat":
Diplo feat. Lazerdisk Party Sex, "Set It Off":
Killer Mike, "Untitled":
The Flaming Lips and Amanda Palmer, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" [NSFW]:
Mouse on Mars, "They Know Your Name":
Avicii feat. Lenny Kravitz, "Superlove":
In the studio / coming soon
- Soundgarden's comeback album has been titled King Animal, and it will be out November 13th. - NME
- Out November 27th, Alicia Keys' new album will be called Girl on Fire; Jamie xx, Emeli Sande, and Babyface are among the contributors. - Billboard
- Clinic return on November 12 with the album Free Reign. - Domino
- Expect a new double-album from Neil Young & Crazy Horse (to be titled Psychedelic Pill) in October. - Rolling Stone
- Lost Songs is a new LP from ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead; it's out October 23rd. - Pitchfork
- Oneida's new album, A List of the Burning Mountains, is due November 13th on Jagjaguwar.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The preliminary lineup for this year's CMJ Music Marathon (October 16-20) includes The Walkmen, GZA, Killer Mike, Com Truise, and Mountain Goats; more details at the official site.
- Mouse on Mars are heading to North America in October. - Pitchfork
- Get fall dates for The Men at Prefix.
- Xiu Xiu will kick off a nearly three-month world tour this week; Pitchfork has the dates.
- Pollstar has additional October dates for Silversun Pickups.
- Find November dates for …And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead at Pollstar.
- Com Truise has scheduled nearly 20 new dates for the fall. - Consequence of Sound
- Check out the fall schedule for The Faint at Pollstar.
- Get fall dates for Ty Segall at Pitchfork.