This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, August 7 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- 10 Years Minus the Machine LISTEN
- The American Scene Safe For Now
- Antibalas Antibalas LISTEN (3voor12)
- Antony and the Johnsons Cut the World
- Live album recorded with the Danish National Chamber Orchestra
- Archers of Loaf All the Nations Airports 2xCD
- Remastered reissue of 1996 album with bonus disc of demos and rarities
- Archers of Loaf White Trash Heroes 2xCD
- Remastered reissue of 1998 album with bonus disc of demos and rarities
- David Archuleta Begin
- DJ Kentaro Contrast
- Fergus & Geronimo Funky Was the State of Affairs
- Colt Ford Declaration of Independence
- James Newton Howard The Bourne Legacy OST
- Ivan & Alyosha All the Times We Had
- Keith Jarrett, Jan Garbarek, Palle Danielsson, Jon Christensen Sleeper: Tokyo, April 16, 19792xCD
- Lianne La Havas Is Your Love Big Enough?
- Los Straightjackets Jet Set
- Low The Curtain Hits The Cast 2xCD
- Double-disc reissue of out-of-print 1996 album
- David Lynch and Alan R. Splet Eraserhead OST
- Limited-edition vinyl reissue of soundtrack to Lynch's 1977 debut film includes a 16-page book and a bonus 7-inch single of "In Heaven" backed with previously unreleased track "Pete's Boogie"
- Branford Marsalis Quartet Four MF's Playin' Tunes
- Marcus Miller Renaissance
- Janka Nabay and the Bubu Gang En Yay Sah
- Niki & The Dove Instinct LISTEN
- North American CD release (on Sub Pop) of debut album from Swedish band
- One Direction The Only Way Is Up DVD
- Opossom Electric Hawaii
- Redd Kross Researching the Blues
- First album for the L.A. band since 1997
- Sixpence None The Richer Lost in Transition
- Tidelands We've Got A Map LISTEN
- Turbonegro Sexual Harassment
- Various Now 43: That's What I Call Music LISTEN
- Various Now That's What I Call Party Anthems LISTEN
- Various We Walk the Line: A Celebration of Johnny Cash DVD+CD/Blu-ray
- Elle Varner Perfectly Imperfect
- Wishmountain Tesco
- Side project for electronic music artist Matthew Herbert; all songs are composed of sounds made from items found on supermarket shelves [UK only; out 6 Aug]
- Rob Zombie Mondo Sex Head
- Remix album
More streaming and downloadable new music
- 50 Cent
- TRACK "New Day" (feat. Dr Dre & Alicia Keys) streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- TRACK "Enough Said," a previously unreleased track with newly added vocals by Drake, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Paul Banks
- TRACK "The Base" downloadable from Matador.
- John Cale
- TRACK "I Wanna Talk 2 U" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "The Trouble with Candyhands" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "MariKKKopa" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Django Django
- ALBUM Django Django streaming until its 8/14 release date at NPR.
- Dum Dum Girls
- TRACK "Lord Knows" streaming at Sub Pop.
- Grizzly Bear
- TRACK "Yet Again" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Bob Mould
- TRACK "The Descent" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Nude Beach
- ALBUM II (out next week) streaming at Spin.
- The Presets
- TRACK "Ghosts" streaming at YouTube.
- Six Organs of Admittance
- TRACK "One Thousand Birds" streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Norah Jones (Conan)
- Tuesday: Grouplove (Conan)
- Wednesday: Ziggy Marley (Conan)
Recent artist and industry news
- Elephant 6 co-founder and Olivia Tremor Control member Bill Doss died last week at the age of 43. - Spin
- Tony Sly, singer and guitarist for punkers No Use for a Name, also died last week, at the age of 41. - Pitchfork
The latest music videos
My Morning Jacket, "Outta My System" [starring Zach Galifianakis]:
Antony and the Johnsons, "Cut the World" [starring Willem Dafoe and Marina Abramović]:
Washed Out, "A Dedication":
Norah Jones, "Miriam":
Passion Pit, "Constant Conversations" [starring Peter Bogdanovich]:
Kendrick Lamar, "Swimming Pools (Drank)":
Mount Eerie, "The Place Lives"
Lower Dens, "Candy":
Laetitia Sadier, "The Rule of the Game":
Redd Kross, "Stay Away From Downtown":
Feistodon, "A Commotion":
Nicki Minaj, "Pound the Alarm":
Rick Ross feat. Dr. Dre and Jay-Z, "3 Kings":
Mono, "Legend: A Journey Through Iceland":
In the studio / coming soon
- Kreayshawn's full-length debut (Somethin' Bout Kreay) has been pushed back a month to a September 18th release date; Pitchfork has the album art.
- November 6th will bring Free the Universe, an album from Diplo's Major Lazer project featuring collaborations with members of Dirty Projectors and Vampire Weekend as well as Wyclef Jean, Bruno Mars, Tyga, and more. - Pitchfork
- 50 Cent's delayed fifth album, Street King Immortal, will drop on November 13. - Billboard
- Lily Allen is heading back into the recording studio to continue work on her third album, but when it is released it will be under her new professional name: Lily Rose Cooper. - The Quietus
- Interpol frontman Paul Banks will release a solo album, Banks, on October 23rd via Matador; unlike his solo debut as Julian Plenti, this one comes under his own name.
- Fiery Furnaces member Matthew Friedberger will release yet another solo album, Matricidal Sons Of Bitches, on October 30th. It features 45 tracks. - Thrill Jockey
- Legendary producer Nile Rogers confirmed last week that he has been collaborating with Daft Punk on the duo's next album. - Rolling Stone
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Find fall dates for the Mountain Goats at Pitchfork.
- Pitchfork also has the latest dates for Aesop Rock.
- Get Regina Spektor's tour schedule for the remainder of 2012 at Prefix.
- Matador has the fall itinerary for Perfume Genius.
- GZA has lined up a fall tour with support from Killer Mike, Sweet Valley, and Bear Hands; Pitchfork has the schedule.
- Mount Eerie also has a tour planned for the fall. - Pitchfork
- Get September dates for Coheed & Cambria at Billboard.