This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, December 4 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- A-Trak Tuna Melt EP
- Melanie Amaro Truly
- Blur Parklive 4xCD+DVD LISTEN
- Live box set includes the band's entire 2012 performance at Hyde Park in London, as well as recordings from a smaller club gig this summer; also available as a standalone DVD
- Ian Brown Collected 10xCD+DVD
- Limited-edition, career-spanning box set containing all of the Stone Roses frontman's solo work [UK only: 3 Dec]
- Johnny Cash The Complete Columbia Album Collection Box set
- Includes all 59 albums the Man in Black released for Columbia (35 of which are here on CD for the first time ever), plus four bonus discs that include singles, B-sides, and Sun records recordings.
- Chevelle Stray Arrows - A Collection Of Favorites
- El Perro Del Mar Pale Fire
- Danny Elfman Hitchcock OST
- Paloma Faith Fall to Grace LISTEN
- U.S. release
- Florida Georgia Line Here's To The Good Times
- While Warrior looks to be a minor improvement over the pop star's 2010 debut Animal 54, early reviews reveal that it isn't quite the revolutionary step forward suggested by recent collaborations with artists as diverse as Iggy Pop and The Flaming Lips. The former appears as a guest on the new album's "Dirty Love," while members of The Strokes and The Black Keys' Patrick Carney also stop by for a track apiece. But despite those rock influences, and early reports that there would be more real singing on the new album, there's still plenty of Auto-Tune to be found. Coming out on the same day is Deconstructed, a five-song acoustic EP that includes two tracks from each of her last two albums, plus a cover.
- Wiz Khalifa O.N.I.F.C.
- King Crimson Lark's Tongues in Aspic CD+DVD
- Remastered 40th anniversary reissue includes a DVD with a 5.1 surround mix of the album and 30 minutes of live footage
- Lady Antebellum Own the Night World Tour DVD/Blu-ray
- Memory Tapes Grace/Confusion LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Mission of Burma Learn How: The Essential Mission of Burma 2xCD
- Career-spanning greatest hits set includes a disc of their best early 1980s material and another featuring songs from their 21st century reunion period
- Mogwai A Wrenched Virile Lore LISTEN (3voor12)
- Remixes of tracks from Mogwai's album Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
- Prodigy The Fat of the Land 2xCD
- Reissue of 1997 album includes disc of remixes
- Raime Quarter Turns Over a Living Line
- Martin Rossiter The Defenestration Of St. Martin
- [UK only: 3 Dec]
- Shackleton Music for the Quiet Hour/The Drawbar Organ 2xEP
- Sigha Living With Ghosts
- Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness 5xCD+DVD LISTEN
- Deluxe reissue (also available in a less-deluxe 2-disc set) of 1995 album includes 64 bonus tracks (demos, alternate mixes, rarities) and a live DVD
- Alexis Taylor Nayim From The Halfway Line EP
- Four-song solo set from the Hot Chip member
- Various Motion Sickness 2xCD
- 2-disc remix collection of classic tracks on Domino Records, including remixes of songs by Animal Collective, The Kills, Hot Chip, Four Tet, Liquid Liquid, Junior Boys, and more [UK only: 3 Dec]
- Various Stand Up Guys OST
- Scott Walker Bish Bosch LISTEN (3voor12)
- First studio album in six years
- Mary Wells Something New: Motown Lost & Found 2xCD
- 47-track career-spanning compilation includes 23 never-before-released recordings
- Benh Zeitlin and Dan Romer Beasts of the Southern Wild OST
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Big Boi
- TRACK "In The A," feat. Ludacris and T.I., streaming at Soundcloud.
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
- TRACK "We No Who U R" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- TRACK "Ceremony" (Joy Division/New Order cover) downloadable at BPM.
- TRACK "Tender Tendencies" streaming at YouTube.
- Nicolas Jaar & Theatre Roosevelt
- TRACK "The Ego" downloadable from Stereogum.
- The Killers
- TRACK "I Feel It in My Bones" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- TRACK "Rollerblades" streaming at YouTube.
- ALBUM Plays Nice Places EP (six-song live set) downloadable from Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Dirty Shirt" (new B-side) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Of Montreal
- TRACK "Dumb Acre" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Pissed Jeans
- TRACK "Bathroom Laughter" streaming at Pitchfork.
- Rick Ross
- TRACK "100 Black Coffins" (from the Django Unchained soundtrack) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Shout Out Louds
- TRACK "Blue Ice" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Stepson [El-P + Nick Diamonds of Islands]
- TRACK "Movie Tit" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Sorry," featuring Andre 3000, streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Paloma Faith (Letterman), Led Zeppelin (Letterman; interview only), Dave Matthews Band (Fallon), The Polyphonic Spree (Leno), Punch Brothers (Conan), Titus Andronicus (Carson Daly)
- Tuesday: Family of the Year (Carson Daly), Ke$ha (Conan), Matisyahu (Leno), JD McPherson (Letterman), Bonnie Raitt (Fallon)
- Wednesday: Blitzen Trapper (Carson Daly), Delta Spirit (Conan), Diana Krall (Letterman), Darius Rucker (Leno)
- Thursday: Paloma Faith (Leno), The Gaslight Anthem (Conan), Tanlines (Fallon), Vintage Trouble (Letterman), Walk the Moon (Carson Daly)
- Friday: Big Boi (Fallon), Garbage (Leno), One Direction (Letterman)
- Saturday: Ne-Yo (Saturday Night Live)
Recent artist and industry news
- Forbes released its annual list of the world's highest-paid musicians, and topping 2012's roster was Dr. Dre, who collected an estimated $110 million this year, thanks mainly to his headphone line. He's trailed by Roger Waters, Elton John, U2, and Take That, who made the bulk of their income through live performances.
- Rare footage of a very young R.E.M. performing live in 1981 surfaced this week on YouTube.
The latest music videos
Hot Chip, "Don't Deny Your Heart" [directed by Peter Serafinowicz]:
How to Destroy Angels, "Ice Age" [directed by John Hillcoat]:
R.E.M., "That Someone Is You" [directed by James Franco]:
Flying Lotus, "Tiny Tortures" [starring Elijah Wood]:
Will.i.am feat. Britney Spears, "Scream and Shout":
Tegan and Sara, "Closer":
Prince, "Rock and Roll Love Affair":
A.C. Newman, "I'm Not Talking":
Tanlines, "Not The Same":
Julia Holter, "Goddess Eyes II":
Tomahawk, "Stone Letter":
The Sea and Cake, "On and On":
Of Montreal, "Feminine Effects":
Deerhoof, "Mario's Flaming Whiskers III":
HAIM, "Don't Save Me":
In the studio / coming soon
- Low have a new Sub Pop release, The Invisible Way, arriving on March 19th; the album is produced by Wilco's Jeff Tweedy. The band also has a new six-song live set called Plays Nice Places available as a free download at Pitchfork.
- Devendra Banhart will make his Nonesuch debut with Mala in the spring. - Pitchfork
- NME has some details about the upcoming album from Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Push The Sky Away, due February 19th.
- Jane's Addiction will return with a new album in 2013, and frontman Perry Farrell tells Billboard that it will be his band's "greatest achievement."
- Former Kraftwerk member Karl Bartos will release his second solo album, Off the Record, on March 18, but it features material recorded prior to his 2003 debut. - The Quietus
- Sun Kil Moon & The Album Leaf have a collaborative album, Perils From The Sea, set for a May 14, 2013 release. - Stereogum
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Wilco's Solid Sound Music and Arts Festival is scheduled for June 21-23, 2013 in North Adams, Mass; while lineups have yet to be set, Wilco will perform twice and curate the music portion of the festival, while John Hodgman will select the comedians. Tickets are now on sale.
- The first 2013 dates for Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds have been announced. - CoS
- Find new North American dates for Tame Impala at Pitchfork.
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra will spend much of early 2013 on the road in support of their upcoming February album. - Jagjaguwar
- Eels will spend February, March, and April touring North America and Europe. - CoS
- View a few upcoming live dates for Mike Patton's Tomahawk project at Pitchfork.
- Pollstar has new dates for Kid Rock's Rebel Soul tour.
- Get spring dates for Jamie Lidell at Consequence of Sound.
- Exclaim has dates for Quicksand's North American reunion tour in January.
- Conor Oberst has his reunited Desaparecidos scheduled for dates in February. - CoS
- Sevendust and Lacuna Coil begin a co-headlining tour in Feburary. - Pollstar