Due to Monday's holiday, this week's Music Monday is technically coming out on a Tuesday. We apologize if you find that confusing or upsetting.
This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, February 19 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Herb Alpert Fandango
- Remastered re-release of 1982 album
- Apparat Krieg und Frieden (Music For Theatre) LISTEN
- Atlas Genius When It Was Now LISTEN
- Debut LP for the Australian band
- Beach Fossils Clash the Truth LISTEN (Hype Machine)
- Marco Beltrami A Good Day to Die Hard OST
- bentcousin Everybody's Got One
- Buckcherry Confessions
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Push the Sky Away LISTEN
- Though Nick Cave hasn't been completely silent—among other things, he released a second album from his Grinderman side project and wrote the film Lawless—five years is a long time to wait for a new album from his main gig. But Cave's 15th album with The Bad Seeds (minus, for the first time, co-founder Mick Harvey) arrives today. Early reviews suggest another great album.
- Celtic Thunder Mythology CD/DVD
- Jamie Christopherson Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Vocal Tracks) OST
- Dobie We Will Not Harm You
- Eat Skull III LISTEN (Pitchfork; today only)
- Kevin Eubanks The Messenger
- Flume Flume LISTEN (3voor12)
- US release
- Robben Ford Bringing It Back Home
- Dan Friel Total Folklore
- Solo album for Parts & Labor member
- Jerry Garcia Band Garcia Live Vol. 1: Capitol Theatre 3xCD
- Paul Hardcastle Paul Hardcastle VII
- The Howling Hex The Best of The Howling Hex
You're Nothing LISTEN (3voor12)
- The Copenhagen-based teen punk band released one of the better debut albums in recent memory in the form of 2011's New Brigade. But just because they have entered their twenties doesn't mean their music has become any less intense. The 12-song You're Nothing marks the band's debut on the legendary Matador label, and reviews are strong so far.
- inc. No World
- 4AD release is the debut LP for the Los Angeles duo formerly known as Teen Inc.
- Mark Kozelek Like Rats LISTEN (Pitchfork; today only)
- Covers album includes the Sun Kil Moon frontman's takes on songs by Sonny & Cher, Bad Brains, Genesis, and more
- Mark Kozelek Live at Phoenix Public House Melbourne
- Live album recorded during 2012 tour
- Lady Lamb the Beekeeper Ripely Pine
- Jamie Lidell
Jamie Lidell LISTEN (MySpace)
- Unlike most Warp Records artists, Jamie Lidell is known for his soulful vocals, though his R&B songs are occasionally married to the glitchy IDM beats more typical of the label. The British singer has relocated to Nashville to record this self-titled fifth-album, which might just be his most diverse set yet. The first batch of reviews suggest the result is a bit patchy, though some critics find it successful.
- The Lone Bellow The Lone Bellow
- Bobby Long Wishbone LISTEN
The Marriage of True Minds
- You'll notice a few minor changes on the first album in five years from the sample-loving experimentalists. For one thing, the duo have jumped to Thrill Jockey after releasing their previous seven albums on Matador. And the new album features a larger roster of collaborators than is the norm; Dan Deacon, Jenn Wasner (Wye Oak), and Jason Willett (Half Japanese) are just a few of the names that appear. But what hasn't changed is Matmos' love of an overarching concept, and on the new record, that concept is telepathy, which even worked its way into the album's unusual recording process. Fittingly, the diverse set closes with a cover of the Buzzcocks' "E.S.P.," which is taken in an unexpected doom metal direction.
- Maxmillion Dunbar House of Woo
- Steve Mazzaro Bullet to the Head OST
- Dawn McCarthy & Bonnie "Prince" Billy What the Brothers Sang
- Everly Brothers tribute album
- Miracles of Modern Science MEEMS EP LISTEN (CoS)
- Parenthetial Girls Privilege
- Portal Vexovoid
- Psychic Ills One Track Mind LISTEN (3voor12)
- Puscifer Donkey Punch The Night EP LISTEN (Spin)
- Combines a few new songs with covers and remixes
- Roedelius Selected Pieces 1990–2011
- Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside Untamed Beast LISTEN
- Scissor Sisters Live In London DVD
- Sin Fang Flowers
- The Slide Brothers Robert Randolph Presents: The Slide Brothers
- STRFKR Miracle Mile
- Suffocation Pinnacle of Bedlam
- Robin Trower Roots And Branches
- Various Son of Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys 2xCD
- Artists include Tom Waits (with Keith Richards), Robyn Hitchcock, Iggy Pop (with A Hawk & A Hacksaw), Nick Cave & Warren Ellis (with Shilpa Ray), Michael Stipe (with Courtney Love), Broken Social Scene, Michael Stipe, and more
- Voigt & Voigt Die Zauberhafte Welt Der Anderen LISTEN (3voor12)
More streaming and downloadable new music
- TRACK "Slyd" streaming at YouTube.
- MIXTAPE For Professional Use Only streaming/downloadable at Pitchfork.
- Atoms for Peace
- ALBUM Amok streaming until its 2/26 release at NPR.
- Autre Ne Veut
- ALBUM Anxiety streaming through 2/26 at Pitchfork.
- ALBUM A Love Surreal streaming until its 2/26 release at NPR.
- British Sea Power
- TRACK "Machineries of Joy" streaming at YouTube.
- Chelsea Light Moving (new Thurston Moore band)
- ALBUM Chelsea Light Moving streaming until its 3/5 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Gravediggress" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Lesser Evil streaming through 2/26 at Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Slow It Down," featuring Fabolous, downloadable from Stereogum.
- Four Tet with RocketNumberNine
- TRACK "Roseland" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Ghostface Killah
- TRACK "The Rise of the Ghostface Killah" streaming at Bandcamp.
- TRACK "Falling" (from the forthcoming EP of the same name, out 4/1) streaming at Soundcloud.
- How to Destroy Angels
- ALBUM Welcome Oblivion streaming through 2/26 at Pitchfork.
- J Dilla
- TRACK "Anthem" (previously unreleased) streaming at Stereogum.
- ALBUM The Waiting Room streaming this week at Hype Machine.
- Johnny Marr
- ALBUM The Messenger streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Cass McCombs
- TRACK "If You Loved Me Before…" streaming at Bandcamp.
- Mount Moriah
- ALBUM Miracle Temple streaming until 2/26 at Pitchfork.
- The Ocean Blue
- TRACK "Sad Night, Where Is Morning?" streaming at Stereogum.
- TRACK "Entertainment" (new single) streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- ALBUM Through the Window streaming until 2/26 at Pitchfork.
- Sally Shapiro
- ALBUM Somewhere Else streaming through 2/26 at Pitchfork.
- Shout Out Louds
- ALBUM Optica streaming until its 2/26 release at NPR.
- Son Volt
- TRACK "Hearts and Minds" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Marnie Stern
- TRACK "Nothing Is Easy" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Strokes
- TRACK "All the Time" (new single) streaming at Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Go Missin'" downloadable from Stereogum.
- The Veils
- TRACK "Through The Deep, Dark Wood" streaming/downloadable at YouTube.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Tuesday: Atlas Genius (Fallon), Delta Rae (Carson Daly), Lisa Loeb (Conan), Bonnie Raitt (Leno)
- Wednesday: Dido (Kimmel), Ke$ha (Fallon), Sky Blu (Leno), ZZ Ward (Carson Daly)
- Thursday: Family of the Year (Conan), Imagine Dragons (Letterman), The Mowgli's (Kimmel), Tristan Prettyman (Leno), White Arrows (Carson Daly)
- Friday: thenewno2 (Leno)
- Saturday: Esperanza Spalding/Madeleine Peyroux (Austin City Limits)
The latest music videos
Primal Scream, "2013":
Justin Timberlake feat. Jay-Z, "Suit & Tie" [directed by David Fincher]:
Passion Pit, "Carried Away" [starring Sophia Bush]:
Pissed Jeans, "Bathroom Laughter":
The Weeknd, "Twenty Eight" [NSFW]:
Tyler, The Creator, "Domo 23":
Bad Religion, "True North":
...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, "Lost Songs":
Wild Nothing, "Only Heather":
Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra, "The Bed Song":
Local Natives, "Heavy Feet":
In the studio / coming soon
- The previously announced Phoenix album Bankrupt! now has an April 23rd release date.
- Wolf, the next album from Odd Future member Tyler, The Creator, has an April 2 release date. (Watch the YouTube announcement.)
- Frontman Thom Yorke might be concentrating on his Atoms for Peace project at the moment (with their debut album, Amok, due next week), but it looks like Radiohead will reconvene at the end of summer to record their next album. - NME
- Surfer Blood will make their major-label debut with the June 11 release of their second album, Pythons, on Warner Bros. Records; Gil Norton (Pixies) produces.
- Hershey, Pennsylvania's most famous band, The Ocean Blue, end a lengthy recording hiatus with Ultramarine, their first album since 1999. It's out March 19th.
- Luna and Galaxie 500 frontman Dean Wareham is putting the finishing touches on two separate solo albums, one produced by Jim James. - Consequence of Sound
- CocoRosie have announced a May 28 release date for their next album, Tales of a Grass Widow. - Pitchfork
- The Uncluded is a new collaboration between Aesop Rock and Kimya Dawson; their debut, Hokey Fright, is out May 7. Yo La Tengo's James McNew guests on one track. - Pitchfork
- Scotland's The Pastels will release Slow Summits, their first album since 1997, on May 27th via Domino.
- Twelve Reasons to Die, the Ghostface Killah album originally announced for last fall, now has an April 16 release date.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Lady Gaga has cancelled all remaining dates on her current tour in order to have hip surgery; the cancellations could cost her $30 million. - Rolling Stone
- The Postal Service have added dates to their summer tour; tickets go on sale tomorrow. - Rolling Stone
- Find tour dates for Mudhoney at Consequence of Sound.
- Band of Horses have announced new dates in April. - Pitchfork
- Foals will tour North America with Surfer Blood beginning April 25 (and Foals will have a few dates on their own earlier in April as well). - CoS
- Dates for !!! can be found at Pitchfork.
- Shabazz Palaces and THEESatisfaction are hitting the road together this spring. - Pitchfork
- The xx and Grizzly Bear have added a few co-headlining dates in North America in June. - Pollstar
- Califone will kick off a wide-ranging tour of fans' living rooms in April; volunteer to host one of the shows at Dead Oceans.
- Solange has added dates to her spring tour. - CoS
- Pitchfork has spring tour dates for Purity Ring.
- Get Keyshia Cole's spring schedule at Pollstar.
- Pollstar also has April dates for Meek Mill.
- Dave Matthews Band have scheduled a 45-date tour for the summer. - CoS
- Find a schedule for Marnie Stern at Pitchfork.
- Wilco is bringing its Solid Sound Festival back to Massachusetts this June; performers include Yo La Tengo, Low, John Hodgman, and more.
- Tom Petty and Red Hot Chili Peppers head the lineup for this summer's Firefly Music Festival in Delaware.