This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, January 21 unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Against Me!
Transgender Dysphoria Blues LISTEN (NPR; today only)
- Early reviews are strong for this highly personal sixth studio album from the Florida punk band Against Me! It's the band's first release since singer/guitarist Tom Gabel came out as transgender, and changed her name to Laura Jane Grace. The LP, produced by Grace herself, is a half-hour punk concept album about a transgender prostitute.
- Alcest Shelter LISTEN (Pitchfork; today only)
- Neil Halstead (Slowdive) guests on the French shoegaze band's fourth album
- The Beatles The U.S. Albums 13xCD
- Box set includes the American versions of all Beatles albums through Revolver in both mono and stereo mixes; the albums will also be sold individually
- Blue Highway The Game
- Bill Callahan Have Fun With God
- Newly recorded dub version of Callahan's acclaimed 2013 album Dream River
- Tommy Castro The Devil You Know
- Crushed Stars Farewell Young Lovers
- Culted Oblique to All Paths
- Dog Bite Tranquilizers
- Elizabeth & the Catapult Like It Never Happened
- Sophie Ellis-Bextor Wanderlust
- Produced by Ed Harcourt [UK release only: 20 Jan]
- A Great Big World Is there Anybody Out There?
- John Hammond Timeless
- Hard Working Americans Hard Working Americans
- The Hidden Cameras Age
- Jennifer Holliday The Song Is You
- I Break Horses Chiaroscuro
- Iced Earth Plagues of Babylon
- Jack Name Light Snow
- New project for White Fence touring guitarist John Webster Johns
- Damien Jurado Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son LISTEN (3voor12)
- Richard Swift returns as producer
- Johnny Klimek and Reinhold Heil I, Frankenstein OST
- Los Lonely Boys Revelation
- Mode Moderne Occult Delight LISTEN (Soundcloud)
Rave Tapes LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- The Scottish instrumental rock band return with their first studio album since 2011's Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will—though, in the interim, the band composed the soundtrack for the critically acclaimed French TV drama The Returned (Les Revenants). Don't be scared off by the title—Mogwai haven't gone acid house or dubstep on you; Rave Tapes is still the brooding, guitar-driven post-rock you've come to expect from the band
- Muslimgauze Drugsherpa
- Doug Paisley Strong Feelings
- Pink The Truth About Love Tour: Live From Melbourne Blu-ray
- Reverend Horton Heat REV
- Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light On Everything
- Step Brothers Lord Steppington
- Studio debut for the hip-hop duo of The Alchemist and Evidence
- Tableek Hunting Bald Eagles & Other Ghetto Tales
- Tiger Stripes Sisters EP
- together PANGEA Badillac
- Various 2014 Grammy Nominees
- Features (previously released) music by nominees for the upcoming Grammy Awards, including Bruno Mars, Robin Thicke, Lorde, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Daft Punk, and Justin Timberlake
- Various NOW That's What I Call Country Ballads 2
Warpaint LISTEN (NPR; today only)
- Los Angeles-based indie-rockers Warpaint generated buzz with early performances (the band's first drummer was actress Shannyn Sossamon), their 2010 debut The Fool, and festival appearances that followed, but have been relatively quiet in the ensuing years. But even more buzz precedes the all-female quartet's self-titled sophomore set, thanks to the talent involved: the album was produced by Flood and mixed by Nigel Godrich (Radiohead), while the band have also collaborated with legendary music video director Chris Cunningham on the album cover and an upcoming documentary. The new album is already being pegged by critics as uneven, but it is not without its high points.
- Wild Cub Youth
- Young the Giant Mind Over Matter LISTEN (iTunes)
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Lily Allen
- TRACK "Air Balloon" streaming at YouTube.
- The Autumn Defense
- ALBUM Fifth streaming until its 1/28 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Blue Moon" streaming at Spotify.
- TRACK "Down To The Sound" streaming at Soundcloud.
- James Blake
- TRACK "40455" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Laura Cantrell
- ALBUM No Way There From Here streaming until its 1/28 release at NPR.
- Charli XCX
- TRACK "Allergic to Love" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Dead Weather
- TRACK "Rough Detective" streaming at Spotify.
- Morgan Delt
- ALBUM Morgan Delt streaming at Hype Machine.
- Kevin Drew
- TRACK "Good Sex" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Dum Dum Girls
- TRACK "Rimbaud Eyes" streaming at Soundcloud.
ALBUM Too True streaming until its 1/28 release at NPR.
- Gardens & Villa
- TRACK "Colony Glen" streaming at Stereogum.
- Gem Club
- ALBUM In Roses streaming until its 1/28 release at NPR.
- ALBUM Trouble streaming until its 1/28 release at NPR.
- Angélique Kidjo
- ALBUM Eve streaming until its 1/28 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Mess on a Mission" streaming at YouTube.
- Marissa Nadler
- TRACK "Was It a Dream" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Night Beds
- TRACK "Head for the Hills" streaming at YouTube.
- Linda Perhacs
- TRACK "River of God" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Nothing but Trouble" streaming at YouTube.
- Primitive Parts [featuring members of Male Bonding]
- TRACK "Open Heads" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Held in Splendor streaming until its 1/28 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Can't Remember To Forget You" (feat. Rihanna) streaming at YouTube.
- The Soft Moon
- TRACK "Feel" (new single) streaming at YouTube.
- Tokyo Police Club
- TRACK "Hot Tonight" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Rufus Wainwright
- TRACK "Me and Liza" (new song from upcoming greatest hits set Vibrate) streaming at YouTube.
- Dean Wareham
- TRACK "Holding Pattern" streaming at the official site.
- Youth Lagoon
- TRACK "Worms" streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Disclosure feat. Sam Smith (Fallon), Vampire Weekend (Kimmel)
- Tuesday: Sheryl Crow (Leno), Ellie Goulding (Letterman), Sarah Jarosz (Conan), Sky Blu (Arsenio), Wild Cub (Fallon), Young the Giant (Kimmel)
- Wednesday: Danny Brown (Kimmel), Neon Trees (Leno), Run the Jewels (Fallon), Trombone Shorty (Conan)
- Thursday: Biz Markie (Arsenio), Jason Derulo (Kimmel), No Age (Letterman)
- Friday: Devon Avenue (Letterman), Darius Rucker (Leno), Schoolboy Q (Fallon)
- Saturday: Bastille (Saturday Night Live), Portugal. The Man and Local Natives (Austin City Limits)
Recent artist and industry news
- New streaming service Beats Music is expected to launch tomorrow (January 21). Billboard has some additional details about the service, which is expected to carry a monthly fee of $10-$15.
- Mistaken for Strangers, a feature-length documentary featuring The National, will be released in theaters (and VOD) on March 28th; here's a trailer.
- Britpop ... the soda pop? Why not. - CoS
The latest music videos
Damon Albarn, "Everyday Robots":
Disclosure, "Grab Her":
Trentemøller, "Gravity" [starring Oscar Isaac]:
YACHT, "Plastic Soul":
Real Estate, "Talking Backwards":
Sam Smith, "Money on My Mind":
Midlake, "The Old & The Young":
Elbow, "Fly Boy Blue / Lunette":
Bibio, "Dye the Water Green":
Pusha T, "Suicide":
Killer Mike, "Ghetto Gospel":
In the studio / coming soon
- For details on over 90 notable albums due to arrive in 2014, visit our 2014 Music Preview.
- Beck has announced a February 25 release date for his upcoming album Morning Phase. Watch a video announcing the album, featuring an excerpt of the new song "Blue Moon," which will be released as a single today.
- Damon Albarn's official solo debut has been titled Everyday Robots and will be released on April 28th. A video for the title track is above.
- Broken Social Scene frontman Kevin Drew has a new solo album, Darlings, arriving March 18th. Pitchfork has some details.
- Punk supergroup OFF!, fronted by Black Flag's Keith Morris, will release a new studio album, Wasted Years, on April 8th.
- George Michael's next album, Symphonica, arrives March 17th.
- Death Grips have begun work on a new album. - CoS
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Dave Matthews Band has lined up a four-month summer tour. - Rolling Stone
- Mac DeMarco will be on the road for the first half of 2014. - Pitchfork
- Billy Joel will tour the U.S. throughout 2014, in between MSG dates. - CoS
- The Knife have announced a few North American dates following their Coachella gig. - Stereogum
- Bruno Mars will follow his Super Bowl gig with a lengthy world tour; some dates will feature Pharrell. - CoS
- Neutral Milk Hotel have extended their reunion tour yet again. - CoS
- Night Beds begin their tour later this week. - Dead Oceans
- OutKast are expected to play at over 40 music festivals around the world this year, in addition to their already announced Coachella reunion. - Billboard
- Katy Perry is hitting the road with Tegan & Sara and Kacey Musgraves. - Billboard
- Portugal. The Man has added some May dates. - Pollstar
- Pusha T will be on the road in North America through March. - Billboard
- Real Estate tour North America this spring. - Pitchfork