This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, January 22 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Adam Ant Adam Ant is The BlueBlack Hussar Marrying The Gunner's Daughter
- First album in 17 years
- Gary Allan Set You Free
- Arbouretum Coming Out of the Fog LISTEN (3voor12)
- Bad Religion True North LISTEN
- Patricia Barber Smash
- Big Harp Chain Letters
- Brokeback Brokeback & The Black Rock
- Camper Van Beethoven La Costa Perdida LISTEN (Spin)
- First album in eight years
- Esben and the Witch Wash the Sins Not Only the Face
- FaltyDL Hardcourage LISTEN (3voor12)
- FIDLAR FIDLAR
- Foxygen We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic LISTEN (3voor12)
- The Growlers Hung at Heart
- Guided by Voices Down by the Racetrack EP
- Petra Haden Petra Goes to the Movies
- Classic movie themes performed a capella
- Chris Hardwick Mandroid
- Comedy album
- Helloween Straight out of Hell
- I Am Kloot Let It All In LISTEN (3voor12)
- UK only [21 Jan]
- Steve Jablonsky Gangster Squad OST
- The Joy Formidable Wolf's Law
- Mountains Centralia
- Aaron Neville My True Story
- Covers; produced by Don Was and Keith Richards
- Nightlands Oak Island
- Second album for side project from The War on Drugs bassist Dave Hartley
- Nosaj Thing Home
- Guests include Toro Y Moi and Kazu Makino (Blonde Redhead)
- Otep Hydra
- Pillowfight Pillowfight LISTEN (KCRW)
- New collaboration between producer Dan the Automator and multi-instrumentalist Emily Wells
- Ra Ra Riot Beta Love LISTEN
- Dawn Richard Goldenheart
- Say Anything All My Friends Are Enemies: Early Rarities
- Ulrich Schnauss A Long Way to Fall LISTEN (3voor12)
- UK release [21 Jan]
- Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin Reverse Shark Attack
- Reissue (via In The Red) of 2009 album
- Toro Y Moi Anything in Return
- The Traditional Fools The Traditional Fools
- Reissue (via In The Red) of 2008 album that was the only LP for early Ty Segall surf-rock band
- Various 12-12-12 The Concert for Sandy Relief 2xCD
- Includes recordings of songs performed at the recent benefit concert by Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, The Who, Roger Waters, The Rolling Stones, Alicia Keys, Bon Jovi, and more
- Various 2013 Grammy Nominees
- Voivod Target Earth
- John Paul White The Long Goodbye
- Widowspeak Almanac
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Beach Fossils
- TRACK "Generational Synthetic" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Heavy Flowers streaming until its 1/29 release at NPR.
- Buke and Gase
- ALBUM General Dome streaming until its 1/29 release at NPR.
- Cold War Kids
- TRACK "Miracle Mile" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Cy Dune Akron/Family side project
- TRACK "Move the Room" streaming at Spin.
- ALBUM News from Nowhere (out 2/5) streaming at Warp.
- Four Tet
- ALBUM 0181 (new rarities comp) available as a free download at Soundcloud.
- Adam Green and Binki Shapiro
- ALBUM Adam Green and Binki Shapiro streaming this week at The Guardian.
- TRACK "Line of Fire" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Jamie Lidell
- TRACK "why_ya_why" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lovestreams Okkervil River side project
- TRACK "Shock Corridor" streaming at Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Toomer" (new single) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "The Only Son of the Widow from Nain" downloadable from Sub Pop.
- Nosaj Thing
- TRACK "Try," featuring Toro y Moi, streaming at Soundcloud.
- Pissed Jeans
- TRACK "Cathouse" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Lost Jewlry EP downloadable at Complex.
- The Ruby Suns
- TRACK "In Real Life" downloadable from Stereogum.
- Marnie Stern
- TRACK "East Side Glory" streaming at Bandcamp.
- Tegan and Sara
- TRACK "Now I'm All Messed Up" streaming at Soundcloud.
TRACK "I Was a Fool" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Oddfellows" streaming at Brooklyn Vegan.
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra
- TRACK "So Good At Being In Trouble" streaming at YouTube.
ALBUM II streaming until its 1/29 release at NPR.
- Youth Lagoon
- TRACK "Dropla" streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Coheed and Cambria (Conan), Lord Huron (Leno)
- Tuesday: Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite (Leno), The Lone Bellow (Conan), LeAnn Rimes (Kimmel)
- Wednesday: Gary Allan (Leno), Electric Guest (Conan), Gin Wigmore (Kimmel)
- Thursday: Kenny Loggins and Blue Sky Riders (Leno)
- Friday: The Grascals (Leno)
- Saturday: Kendrick Lamar (Saturday Night Live), Bob Mould / Delta Spirit (Austin City Limits)
Recent artist and industry news
- Metallica will star as themselves in a new Nimrod Antal-directed 3D feature film, Metallica Through the Never, due August 9th.
- The Village Voice revealed the results of its annual Pazz & Jop poll of music critics last week, and, much like everyone else in the music world, their voters selected Frank Ocean's Channel Orange as 2012's best album.
- The band Emeralds has dissolved after seven years. - Pitchfork
The latest music videos
Dinosaur Jr., "Pierce the Morning Rain" [starring Maria Bamford and James Urbaniak]:
Divine Fits, "My Love Is Real":
Amor de Días, "Jean's Waving":
Dan Deacon, "Guilford Avenue Bridge":
Ty Segall, "Thank God For Sinners" [NSFW]:
Baroness, "March to the Sea":
Crystal Castles, "Sad Eyes":
Ultraísta, "Wash It Over":
Shout Out Louds, "Walking in Your Footsteps":
Nite Jewel, "Memory Man":
SBTRKT, "Trials of the Past" [NSFW]:
Woods, "Size Meets the Sound":
Ab-Soul feat. Kendrick Lamar, "ILLuminate":
In the studio / coming soon
- The Strokes will release their fifth album later this year, reports Billboard. Expect the first single ("All the Time") to drop soon.
- In case you missed it in the streaming section above, Four Tet dropped a new rarities compilation called 0181 last week without advance warning. Grab it as a free download, or wait until the vinyl release later this year.
- Broken Social Scene member Kevin Drew might have two albums out during the second half of 2013, one a solo LP, the other a collaboration with songwriter Andy Kim. - Pitchfork
- Britpoppers Suede return with their first new album in over a decade, Bloodsports, on March 18th.
- Dear Miss Lonely Hearts is the fourth album from Cold War Kids, arriving on April 2. - Consequence of Sound
- OMD return with their 12th album, English Electric, on April 9th.
- Former Coral member Bill Ryder-Jones will release his second solo album, A Bad Wind Blows In My Heart, in April on Domino.
- Kinski's first album in six years, Cosy Moments, is due April 2 on Kill Rock Stars. - MTV Hive
- Expect a new Erasure album, as well as a new electronic dance music project from Erasure's Vince Clarke, in the coming year. - The Quietus
- Lupe Fiasco has scrapped his planned upcoming album Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 2, though he has a replacement project in the works. - Billboard
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Neutral Milk Hotel's Jeff Mangum has extended his solo acoustic tour into April. - Pitchfork
- Christopher Owens has added a March leg on the West Coast to his current tour. - Consequence of Sound
- CoS also has some new spring dates for Alice in Chains.
- Bat for Lashes has a few new West Coast dates set for April; not among them, but previously confirmed, are two Coachella performances. - Pitchfork
- Get tour dates for Jamie Lidell at Warp.
- Bad Religion will spend March and April on the road; Coachella also looks like a possibility. - Pollstar
- The Postal Service will reunite to perform at this year's Coachella festival, and additional festival performances this year are a possibility, according to a report in Billboard.
- One band that will not be playing Coachella (despite persistent rumors that they would be headlining): The Rolling Stones, according to a new report in, well, Rolling Stone.
- Find North American dates for Billy Bragg at CoS.
- Blake Shelton has lined up dates for summer and fall. - Pollstar
- Catch Tim McGraw on the road this summer. - Billboard
- Pitchfork has tour dates for Sub Pop artists Pissed Jeans.
- Find dates for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at Consequence of Sound.
- The lineup at this year's New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (April 26-May 5) features Phoenix, The Black Keys, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Frank Ocean, Patti Smith, and many more artists.
- The Electric Daisy Carnival franchise has added yet another location; the festival's first Chicago appearance will take place May 24-26.