This week's new album releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, July 15 unless otherwise indicated.
After years of record label troubles and false starts, the former Smiths frontman will final release his first solo album since 2009's Years Of Refusal on Tuesday. Though the tracklist does not include any of the new material he's been regularly performing live over the past five years—this is a freshly recorded album, not the one he reportedly had in the can a few years back—it's hard to fault a list that includes song titles like the title track, "Kick The Bride Down The Aisle," and "Neal Cassady Drops Dead." A deluxe edition adds six tracks to the regular album's 12.
"Weird Al" Yankovic
The Vicar of Yanks returns with his 14th—and possibly final—studio album, which features a Pixies homage and parodies of recent chart-toppers like Pharrell's "Happy" (which becomes "Tacky" in Yankovic's version), Lorde's "Royals" ("Foil"), Iggy Azalea's "Fancy" ("Handy"), and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" ("Word Crimes"). Eight tracks will also get their own videos, with a new one appearing online daily starting today (with "Tacky," which you can find below).
- The Acid Liminal
- AraabMuzik For Professional Use Only 2
- Army Navy The Wilderness Inside
- Will Bates & Phil Mossman I, Origins OST
- Bleachers Strange Desire
- New side project for fun. guitarist Jack Antonoff
- Big Wreck Ghosts
- Anna Calvi Strange Weather EP
- Five-song covers album features Calvi (and, on two tracks, David Byrne) tackling songs by Keren Ann, David Bowie, FKA twigs, Suicide, and Connan Mockasin
- Cloud Boat Model Of You
- Cowboy Jack Clement For Once and For All
- Third and final studio album recorded by the late country singer features collaborations with John Prine, Vince Gill, Emmylou Harris, Dan Auerbach, Rodney Crowell, and Dierks Bentley
- Conveyor Prime 2xLP
- Dead Fingers Big Black Dog
- Fhloston Paradigm Phoenix
- Fink Hard Believer
- Hercules & Love Affair The Feast of The Broken Heart
- US release
- John Hiatt Terms of My Surrender LISTEN (NY Times)
- Jungle Jungle LISTEN (iTunes)
- Kidz Bop Kids Kidz Bop 26
- Landlady Upright Behavior LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Stu Larsen Vagabond
- Lil Boosie Touchdown 2 Cause Hell
- Luluc Passerby LISTEN (NPR)
- Madlib Rock Konducta
- Compiles 50 instrumental tracks from two previous vinyl releases
- Mark Mancina Planes: Fire & Rescue OST
- Melted Toys Melted Toys LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Mexican Slang Inside The Velvet Castle EP
- The Mother Hips Chronicle Man
- Jason Mraz Yes
- Richard Reed Parry Music For Heart And Breath
- Solo classical album from the Arcade Fire instrumentalist includes collaborations with Kronos Quartet, Nico Muhly, and The National's Bryce and Aaron Dessner
- Pennywise Yesterdays
- Plastikman EX
- Physical release of new live album (previously released digitally)
- Puss N Boots No Fools, No Fun
- Norah Jones side project
- Reigning Sound Shattered
- Rise Against The Black Market
- Slow Club Complete Surrender LISTEN (NPR)
- Suicide Silence You Can't Stop Me
- Sébastien Tellier L'Aventura
- TRAAMS Cissa EP
- Trampled by Turtles Wild Animals LISTEN (NPR)
- The United Nations The Next Four Years LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Various Britpop at the BBC 3xCD
- Compilation of previously unreleased live tracks recorded for BBC Radio 1 by Blur, Suede, Pulp, Gene, Supergrass, and more [UK only: 14 Jul]
- Various Wish I Was Here OST
- Soundtrack to new Zach Braff movie features The Shins, Bon Iver, Cat Power, Coldplay, and more.
- Volumes No Sleep
- Anand Wilder and Maxwell Kardon Break Line The Musical LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Concept album from Yeasayer founder Wilder features members of Yeasayer, MGMT, Dirty Projectors, and more
- Woman's Hour Conversations LISTEN (NY Times)
- Wunder Wunder Everything Infinite
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- ALBUM Alvvays streaming until its 7/22 release at NPR.
- Bat for Lashes
- TRACK "Skin Song" streaming at Pitchfork.
- Willis Earl Beal
- TRACK "Until We Die" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Bear In Heaven
- TRACK "Autumn" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Blonde Redhead
- TRACK "Dripping" streaming at YouTube.
- Anna Calvi & David Byrne
- TRACK "I'm The Man, That Will Find You" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Cut Copy
- TRACK "Lights Shine On" (new bonus track) streaming at Stereogum.
- Death From Above 1979
- TRACK "Trainwreck 1979" streaming at YouTube.
- Ex Hex
- TRACK "Don't Wanna Lose" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Field Report
- TRACK "Wings" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Rock Star" (feat. Nicki Minaj) streaming at Audiomack.
- Got a Girl [Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Dan "The Automator" Nakamura]
- ALBUM I Love You But I Must Drive Off This Cliff Now streaming until its 7/22 release at Hype Machine.
- Macy Gray
- TRACK "Stoned" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Half Japanese
- TRACK "In Its Pull" streaming at Soundcloud.
- King Tuff
- TRACK "Eyes of the Muse" streaming at YouTube.
- Jenny Lewis
- TRACK "The Voyager" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Laetitia Sadier
- TRACK "Then, I Will Love You Again" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Shabazz Palaces
- TRACK "Forerunner Foray" streaming at YouTube.
- Speedy Ortiz
- TRACK "Bigger Party" downloadable/streaming at Adult Swim.
- TRACK "Moodring" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Wait for Love" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "She Came To Give It To You" (feat. Nicki Minaj) streaming at YouTube.
- We Were Promised Jetpacks
- TRACK "Safety in Numbers" streaming at Soundcloud.
- White Fence
- ALBUM For The Recently Found Innocent streaming until its 7/22 release at NPR.
- Zero 7
- TRACK "Simple Science" (from the forthcoming EP of the same name) streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Betty Who (Meyers), Phish (Fallon), Sturgill Simpson (Letterman)
- Tuesday: Marsha Ambrosius (Conan), Bleachers (Fallon), Trampled by Turtles (Letterman)
- Wednesday: American Authors (Letterman), Broods (Meyers), Puss N Boots (Fallon), Kristeen Young with Dave Grohl and Pat Smear (Ferguson)
- Thursday: Jason Mraz (Fallon), St. Vincent (Letterman), "Weird Al" Yankovic (Conan)
Recent artist and industry news
- The website Music Vault has uploaded over 12,000 concerts and live clips to YouTube, including full shows by Lou Reed, U2, Aerosmith, Grateful Dead, The Sex Pistols, Neil Young, The Police, Nine Inch Nails, Frank Zappa, Rage Against the Machine, and much more.
- New Order frontman (and Joy Division member) Bernard Sumner will release an autobiography, Chapter and Verse, on September 25. - NME
- Watch a documentary about Merge Records (in honor of the indie label's 25th anniversary), and grab some free tracks, at Google Play.
- Tommy Ramone (born Tommy Erdelyi), drummer for The Ramones and the last surviving founding member of that legendary band, died Saturday at the age of 65. Billboard has the story; Rolling Stone's David Browne has one of his final interviews, and rock critics Randall Roberts and Robert Christgau offer their remembrances.
- Influential jazz bassist Charlie Haden also died last week; he was 76. - Billboard
The latest music videos
"Weird Al" Yankovic, "Tacky":
Neko Case and Kelly Hogan, "These Aren't the Droids" [starring Ellie Kemper]:
Sharon Van Etten, "Our Love":
Interpol, "All the Rage Back Home":
The Afghan Whigs, "Matamoros":
Mark Lanegan Band, "Sad Lover":
Hamilton Leithauser, "I Don't Need Anyone":
Christopher Owens, "Nothing More Than Everything To Me":
Cloud Nothings, "Psychic Trauma":
Zammuto, "Great Equator":
Blood Orange, "High Street":
In the studio / coming soon
- After a lengthy hiatus, Radiohead plan to return to the studio in September to work on their ninth album. - NME
- Weezer's upcoming album Everything Will Be Alright In The End has been given a September 30 release date.
- Beck's sheet-music-only album Song Reader will actually come out on CD after all, but there's a catch. All but one of the 20 tracks on the July 29 release will feature vocalists other than Beck. Of course, with a roster that includes Jack Black, Jack White, Norah Jones, Jeff Tweedy, Jarvis Cocker, Sparks, Eleanor Friedberger, Laura Marling, Jason Isbell, Loudon Wainwright, fun., and Juanes, it's hard to complain.
- Ex Hex, the new-ish band led by Mary Timony (Helium, Wild Flag), will release their debut album, Rips, on October 7th via Merge.
- Stereolab's Laetitia Sadier will release a new solo album, Something Shines, on September 23rd via Drag City. Her newest band, Little Tornadoes, will also release its debut album, We Are Divine, on September 1st. - Exclaim!
- Garth Brooks is ending his retirement to release a new album this November. He will also go on tour. - Rolling Stone, Billboard
- Former Girls frontman Christopher Owens will release his second solo set, A New Testament, on September 30th. - Pitchfork
- Half Japanese will release Overjoyed, their first album in 13 years, on September 2nd. - Pitchfork
- Macy Gray's new album, The Way, is set for an October 7 release.
- Inevitable Western is the 10th studio album from avant-garde (but rock-influenced) jazz trio The Bad Plus. The August 26th release features all original compositions.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The Breeders have a brief tour set for September, during which the band will perform newly written material. - Pitchfork
- Charli XCX tours North America in early fall. - Pitchfork
- Cibo Matto have added a handful of September dates. - Pollstar
- Death From Above 1979 hit the road this fall in support of their comeback album. - Pollstar
- Drive-By Truckers have new October dates on their itinerary. - Pollstar
- Interpol will support their upcoming album with a fall tour. - Matador
- KISS have booked a residency at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas during November. - Pollstar
- Mastodon have new dates in October and November. - Pollstar
- OFF! have a 14-date tour planned for August. - Pollstar
- Slowdive's reunion continues with a North American tour this fall—their first on the continent in 20 years. - Pitchfork