This week's new album releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, July 22 unless otherwise indicated.
The rapper/actor returns after a multi-year recording hiatus with his 10th studio album. And there's reason to smile after all: Nobody's Smiling reunites Common with producer No I.D., his frequent collaborator. Guests include Big Sean and Vince Staples.
English synthpop artist Elly Jackson—now the sole member of La Roux after her collaborator, producer Ben Langmaid, departed the project over artistic differences—returns with a second album a full five years after her Grammy-winning debut, La Roux. Recharged after the lengthy hiatus (which stemmed from fatigue and voice issues), Jackson recorded nine new tracks for Trouble in Paradise, which she'll follow with a tour.
For The Recently Found Innocent LISTEN (NPR)
White Fence is the recording name for singer-songwriter Tim Presley, a frequent Ty Segall collaborator. The latter once again contributes to this new set, but Innocent differs from its predecessors in that it was recorded in a professional studio, rather than Presley's home. Critics don't seem to mind the newfound polish.
- 5 Seconds Of Summer 5 Seconds Of Summer
- U.S. release of the full-length debut from the Australian teen four-piece that gained international attention opening for One Direction
- Alvvays Alvvays LISTEN (NPR)
- The Amazing Snakeheads Amphetamine Ballads LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Anberlin Lowborn
- Marco Beltrami Snowpiercer OST
- Liam Betson The Cover of Hunter LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Solo studio debut for former Titus Andronicus member
- The Black Angels Clear Lake Forest LISTEN (NY Times)
- Bleached For The Feel EP
- Three new tracks [digital only]
- Colony House When I Was Younger
- Courtship Ritual Pith LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Crown The Empire The Resistance: Rise Of The Runaways
- Mike Doughty Live at Ken's House
- Field Mouse Hold Still Life
- Four Year Strong Go Down in History EP
- Fozzy Do You Wanna Start A War
- Freeman Freeman LISTEN (Stereogum)
- New full-band side project for Ween's Aaron Freeman (aka Gene Ween)
- Got a Girl I Love You But I Must Drive Off This Cliff
- Debut for the duo of actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead and producer Dan "The Automator" Nakamura
- Neil Hamburger First of Dismay
- Comedy/music album
- (hed) pe Evolution
- Joyce Manor Never Hungover Again LISTEN (NPR)
- The punk band's third LP is their longest yet, clocking in at 19 minutes
- King Creosote From Scotland with Love
- UK release [21 July]
- Majid Jordan A Place Like This EP
- Martyrdöd Elddop LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Jesse McCartney In Technicolor
- Midnight Masses Departures
- Monomyth Saturnalia Regalia!
- Mustered Courage Powerlines
- Mutilation Rites Harbinger
- Nico Vega Lead to Light LISTEN (Billboard)
- Nona Through the Head
- Overkill White Devil Armory
- The Phantom Band Strange Friend
- P.S. I Love You For Those Who Stay LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- The Raveonettes Pe'ahi
- Max Richter The Congress OST
- RX Bandits Gemini, Her Majesty LISTEN (CoS)
- Soft As Snow Glass Body EP
- Richard Thompson Acoustic Classics
- To Rococo Rot Instrument
- War of Ages Supreme Chaos
- Within the Ruins Phenomena
- Yes Heaven & Earth
- ZZ Top The Very Baddest of 2xCD
- New greatest hits collection
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- Bear in Heaven
- ALBUM Time Is Over One Day Old streaming until 7/29 at NPR.
- Bishop Allen
- TRACK "Why I Had To Go" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Blonde Redhead
- TRACK "Dripping" streaming at YouTube.
- Emily Browning with Belle and Sebastian
- TRACK "God Help the Girl" (from the upcoming God Help the Girl OST) streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Bug
- TRACKS "Void" and "Function" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Vashti Bunyan
- TRACK "Across The Water" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Can't Do Without You (Extended Mix)" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Cold War Kids
- TRACK "All This Could Be Yours" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Drums
- TRACK "Magic Mountain" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Justin Townes Earle
- TRACK "White Gardenias" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Elevation" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Hooray For Earth
- TRACK "Racy" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Icona Pop
- TRACK "Get Lost" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Markéta Irglová
- TRACK "This Right Here" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Miracle" streaming at YouTube.
- Jenny Lewis
- ALBUM The Voyager streaming until its 7/29 release at NPR.
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- TRACK "Fault Lines" streaming at Soundcloud.
ALBUM Hypnotic Eye streaming until its 7/29 release at NPR.
- The Rosebuds
- TRACK "Blue Eyes" downloadable from Stereogum.
- Shabazz Palaces
- ALBUM Lese Majesty streaming until its 7/29 release at NPR.
- TRACK "How We Be" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "The Clarity" streaming/downloadable at Adult Swim.
- TRACK "Diamond Light Pt. 1" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Weeknd
- TRACK "King Of The Fall" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Back to the Shack" streaming at iHeartRadio.
- Wildest Dreams
- ALBUM Wildest Dreams streaming until its 7/29 release at NPR.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Bleachers (Meyers), Nico & Vinz (Fallon)
- Tuesday: Chronixx (Fallon), The Hold Steady (Conan), OK Go (Kimmel), Eli Young Band (Letterman)
- Wednesday: Boy & Bear (Conan), Common (Kimmel), Brody Dalle (Letterman), Fall Out Boy, T.I., and London Grammar (SoundClash, VH1 9p), Weezer (Fallon)
- Thursday: 5 Seconds of Summer (Kimmel), Tori Amos (Conan), Tweedy (Fallon), Sharon Van Etten (Letterman)
- Friday: Kiesza (Letterman), Neon Trees (Meyers)
Recent artist and industry news
- Nominees for MTV's Video Music Awards were announced last week, with Beyoncé grabbing a year-high 8 nominations. Right behind her are Eminem and Iggy Azalea, with 7 apiece. Winners will be announced in a live broadcast on Sunday, August 24th.
- The shortlist for the Polaris Music Prize (given to the top Canadian album of the year) includes Arcade Fire, Mac DeMarco, Drake, and Owen Pallett, among others.
- Ron Howard is set to direct a documentary about The Beatles—specifically, about the band as a live act. - Billboard
- Paul McCartney has released five of his albums (including Band on the Run) as iPad apps, bundled with interviews, video content, and more.
- Blues guitarist Johnny Winter—hailed as one of the top guitarists of all time by Rolling Stone—died last week at the age of 70. - Billboard and Rolling Stone have appreciations of the artist.
The latest music videos
"Weird Al" Yankovic, "Foil" (Lorde parody):
More new Weird Al videos: "First World Problems" (Pixies homage), "Handy" (Iggy Azalea parody) / "Lame Claim to Fame" / "Mission Statement" (CSN&Y homage) / "Sports Song" / "Word Crimes" (Robin Thicke parody)
Jenny Lewis, "Just One Of The Guys" [with Anne Hathaway, Kristen Stewart, Brie Larson]:
Lykke Li, "Gunshot":
Robyn and Röyksopp, "Do It Again":
Basement Jaxx, "Never Say Never":
The New Pornographers, "War On The East Coast":
Spoon, "Do You":
Perfume Genius, "Queen":
Alt-J, "Hunger Of The Pine":
Simian Mobile Disco, "Tangents":
Conor Oberst, "You Are Your Mother's Child":
In the studio / coming soon
- Kanye West's new album could arrive as soon as September. - Billboard
- The newly reunited Clientele are in the early stages of prepping their next album, which would be their first since 2010. - Stereogum
- What's holding up Tool's long-delayed next album? Lawsuits. - Rolling Stone
- Drake's next album will be titled Views From The 6. One slight problem: he hasn't started recording it yet. - Billboard
- R Kelly is working on a house music album, reports NME.
- A new Perfume Genius album, Too Bright, arrives September 23rd via Matador.
- David Bowie will release "more music soon," though it is unclear exactly what that entails. - NME
- The Drums have a new album, Encyclopedia, out on September 23rd. - Spin
- The Swell Season's Markéta Irglová will release her second solo set, Muna, on September 23rd.
- Johnny Marr's next solo album Playland drops October 6th. - NME
- 747 is the title of the fifth studio set from Lady Antebellum, out September 30th.
- The Ting Tings will release their third album on October 20th in the UK; Super Critical was co-produced by Duran Duran's Andy Taylor.
- The previously announced LP collaboration between Scott Walker and Sunn O))) now has a date and title. The five-track, 50-minute Soused will hit stores on September 23rd.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Blonde Redhead kick off their North American tour on November 1st. - CoS
- Earth's tour of their titular planet takes them to North America in September. - Pitchfork
- Hercules and Love Affair will tour this fall. - Pitchfork
- La Roux visits North America later this year in support of her new album. - Billboard
- Thurston Moore has a handful of West Coast October dates with Sebadoh. - CoS