This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, July 24 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- 8Ball Life's Quest LISTEN
- The Antlers Undersea EP
- Todd Barry Super Crazy
- Comedy album
- Tyler Bates Killer Joe OST
- Blood Red Shoes In Time to Voices LISTEN
- Bonnie "Prince" Billy Now Here's My Plan EP
- The Books A Dot in Time 7xLP + DVD + BOOK + USB INFO
- Massive limited edition box set compiles everything recorded by the now-defunct band The Books, including remastered versions of all four studio albums, the previously unreleased double-album rarities collection Music For A French Elevator and Other Oddities, a DVD video collection, and more
- Cooly G Playin Me
- Eric Copeland Limbo LISTEN (Spin)
- Solo album for Black Dice member
- Eternal Summers Correct Behavior
- Family Band Grace & Lies
- Fang Island Major LISTEN
- Foals Tapes
- Foxygen Take the Kids Off Broadway
- Peter Gabriel Secret World: Live DVD/Blu-ray
- Remastered/restored version of 1993 concert film; first time on Blu-ray
- The Gaslight Anthem
Handwritten LISTEN (3voor12)
- After three increasingly successful indie releases, including 2010's American Slang 80, The Gaslight Anthem make the jump to the big leagues this summer with their major-label debut Handwritten. The New Jersey rockers—yes, they've been endorsed by Bruce Springsteen, who has joined them on stage in the past—recorded the new album in Nashville with producer Brendan O'Brien (who is also no stranger to The Boss), and his input makes this their slickest outing yet, though longtime fans should have nothing to fear from the added polish.
- Golden Retriever Occupied With the Unspoken
- Guardian Alien See the World Given to a One Love Entity
- GZA Liquid Swords: The Chess Box 2xCD
- Deluxe reissue of 1995 album includes a second disc featuring an instrumental version of the album, as well as a book, mini chess set, and more
- Heavenly Beat Talent
- Shawn Lee Synthesizers in Space LISTEN
- Jennifer Lopez Dance Again: The Hits
- Love and Theft Love and Theft
- Micachu and the Shapes Never LISTEN (The Guardian)
- Om Advaitic Songs LISTEN (3voor12)
- Passion Pit Gossamer LISTEN
- Mike Patton and Luciano Berio Laborintus II
- The Pharcyde Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde 3xCD
- Expanded reissue of the group's 1992 debut album includes extended liner notes and two bonus discs featuring B-sides, remixes, and more
- Purity Ring Shrines
- The Reverend Horton Heat 25 to Life 2xCD+DVD
- Box set includes concert film (from San Francisco's Fillmore Theater in 2010), a CD containing live recordings from the same shows, and a greatest hits album
- Rodriguez Searching for Sugar Man OST
- Laetitia Sadier Silencio
- Second solo album from the Stereolab vocalist includes contributions from Sam Prekop (The Sea and Cake) and Tim Gane (Stereolab)
- Saint Saviour Union LISTEN (Paste)
- Slipknot Antennas to Hell
- Greatest hits compilation
- Slug Guts Playin' In Time With the Deadbeat
- Sofrito International Soundclash
- Sugar Copper Blue 3xCD
- Remastered reissue of classic 1992 album adds all of the Beaster EP, B-sides, a complete 1992 live show, and a 40-page book
- Sugar File Under: Easy Listening 2xCD
- Remastered reissue of band's second album adds B-sides, a complete 1994 live show, and a 32-page book
- Summer Camp Always EP
- Three Mile Pilot Maps EP LISTEN
- TNGHT TNGHT EP
- Debut from producer duo of Hudson Mohawke and Lunice
- Shusaku Uchiyama and Masachika Kawata Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City OST
- Nick Urata Ruby Sparks OST
- Various Big Easy Express DVD+Blu-ray
- Performances by Mumford & Sons, Old Crow Medicine Show, and Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
- Various Isle of Wonder: Music for the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games
- Music featured in Friday's opening ceremony, including new tracks written for the event by Underworld; available on iTunes beginning Saturday, July 28; physical release coming August 6th
More streaming and downloadable new music
- The Afghan Whigs
- TRACK "Lovecrimes" (Frank Ocean cover) downloadable from Pitchfork.
- Azure Ray
- TRACK "Scattered Like Leaves," from their forthcoming LP As Above So Below, downloadable from Stereogum.
- Blood Diamonds
- TRACK "Ritual" streaming at Stereogum.
- Danny Brown and AraabMuzik
- TRACK "Molly Ringwald" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Domo Genesis
- TRACK "Elimination Chamber" (featuring Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples, and Action Bronson) downloadable from Stereogum.
- The Felice Brothers
- TRACK "Lincoln Continental" downloadable from Rolling Stone.
- The Field
- TRACK "Comenius Garden" downloadable from Adult Swim.
- Flying Lotus
- TRACK "Between Friends" (featuring Earl Sweatshirt) downloadable from Pitchfork.
- Patterson Hood
- TRACK "Come Back Little Star" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- How to Dress Well
- TRACK "Cold Nites" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Ice Choir
- ALBUM Afar streaming at Stereogum.
- Rickie Lee Jones
- TRACK "Sympathy for the Devil," from her upcoming covers album, streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Talib Kweli
- TRACK "Push Thru," featuring Curren$y and Kendrick Lamar, streaming at Stereogum.
- TRACK "La Bonita" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Heavy Is as Heavy Does," from their forthcoming LP Moms, streaming at Pitchfork.
- Mission of Burma
- TRACK "What They Tell Me" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Christian Scott
- ALBUM Christian aTunde Adjuah streaming until its 7/31 release at NPR.
- Snoop Lion [Snoop Dogg]
- TRACK "La La La" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Hold On When You Get Love And Let Go When You Give It" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM thefearofmissingout streaming until its 7/31 release at NPR.
- Two Door Cinema Club
- TRACK "Sleep Alone" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Out Of Many: 50 Years Of Reggae Music streaming until its 7/31 release at NPR.
- The Wallflowers
- TRACK "Reboot the Mission," featuring Mick Jones, streaming at Rolling Stone.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Aretha Franklin (Leno), The Head and the Heart (Kimmel), R. Kelly (Fallon), Rufus Wainwright (Letterman)
- Tuesday: Beach House (Fallon), Nas (Kimmel), Jay Sean (Leno), Allen Stone (Letterman), The xx (Conan)
- Wednesday: Milo Greene (Letterman), The Lumineers (Leno), Tennis (Conan), Trey Songz (Kimmel), Wilco (Fallon)
- Thursday: Flo Rida (Conan), MoZella (Leno), No Doubt (Fallon), Rick Ross (Kimmel), will.i.am (Letterman)
- Friday: The Airborne Toxic Event (Letterman), The Gaslight Anthem (Fallon), Joss Stone (Leno)
Recent artist and industry news
- The shortlist for the Polaris Music Prize, awarded annually to the best Canadian album, was announced last week. Japandroids, Fucked Up, Drake, and Feist are among the contenders for this year's award, which will be handed out September 24th.
- You can hear three new Beck songs next month, but only if you pick up the PS3 or Vita game Sound Shapes; the previously unreleased tracks will be exclusive to the new rhythm game, which also includes music by deadmau5 and Jim Guthrie.
- Trailblazing country music star Kitty Wells died last week at the age of 92. Known as the "Queen of Country Music," Wells was the first female performer to regularly record and land on the country music charts. Billboard and Pop & Hiss are among the publications recapping her career.
- Jon Lord, the keyboardist and co-founder of Deep Purple and later the keyboardist for Whitesnake, also died last week; he was 71. - Pop & Hiss
- Rapper Ramona Parker, known professionally as Ms. Melodie, also died last week at the age of 43. - Pitchfork
- For the first time since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking album sales two decades ago, the first half of 2012 has seen old albums outsell new releases. - Stereogum
- We recently told you about some high-profile artists recording music for upcoming videogames; now, you can hear part of Trent Reznor's Call of Duty: Black Ops II score at Spin, and preview Beck's original music for Sound Shapes in the game's latest trailer.
The latest music videos
Hot Chip, "Look at Where We Are":
Guided By Voices, "Keep It In Motion":
The Gaslight Anthem, "Handwritten":
Lana Del Rey, "Summertime Sadness":
No Doubt, "Settle Down":
The Raveonettes, "She Owns the Streets":
Dan Deacon, "True Thrush":
The-Dream, "Dope Bitch":
The Alchemist feat. Danny Brown and Schoolboy Q, "Flight Confirmation" [NSFW]:
Passion Pit, "I'll Be Alright":
Beachwood Sparks, "Forget the Song":
Pet Shop Boys, "Winner":
In the studio / coming soon
- Bob Dylan will release his 35th studio album, Tempest, on September 11. The 10 tracks, representing his first original material in three years, were produced by the 71-year-old Dylan himself.
- Death Cab For Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard will release his first solo album, Former Lives, on October 16th via Death Cab's former label Barsuk. - Stereogum
- Ultraísta, the new band led by Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich, have announced their debut album; expect the self-titled LP on October 2nd via Temporary Residence.
- For the first time since 1999, Ben Folds Five will release a new studio album this fall; The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind will arrive on September 18th. - Consequence of Sound
- Deerhoof return with Breakup Song, out September 4th on Polyvinyl. You can hear bits of the new songs at the band's official site.
- Dance label Italians Do It Better (run by Johnny Jewel of Chromatics and numerous other groups) will release a sequel to their 2007 compilation After Dark. Out October 15th, After Dark II will include new tracks from Chromatics, Glass Candy, Farah, Mirage, and more; get the full list at the official site.
- Mark Eitzel has a new solo album, Don't Be a Stranger, arriving October 2nd on Merge.
- October 2nd brings a new album by The Wallflowers, Glad All Over; Mick Jones of B.A.D. and The Clash guests on one track.
- Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music compilation Cruel Summer has been pushed back to September 4th, though, unlike previous dates, this one seems firm.
- New Thrill Jockey signees Matmos have The Ganzfeld EP due October 15 on their new label, with a full album, The Marriage of True Minds, to follow next year.
- Snoop Dogg will release a reggae album (Reincarnated) under the name Snoop Lion later this year.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The inaugural S.S. Coachella festival at sea, from the promoters behind its namesake spring gathering in Indio, California, will be held this December aboard the Celebrity Silhouette cruise ship. There will be a three-day trip to the Bahamas and a four-day cruise to Jamaica, and both will feature the same lineup headlined by Pulp and Hot Chip. Get complete details at the official site.
- If you want to see The Who perform their rock opera Quadrophenia in its entirety, this could be your last chance. Their 36-date tour includes an East Coast leg this fall, with more dates on both coasts (and in between) in January and February. - Rolling Stone
- To celebrate the release of his new album this fall, Bob Dylan has scheduled an arena tour with Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits; get the dates at Rolling Stone.
- New Order (still without Peter Hook) will tour North America for the first time in seven years this October. - Rolling Stone
- This fall will bring a co-headlining tour by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds and Snow Patrol. - Pollstar
- Flying Lotus has scheduled a fall tour to coincide with his upcoming album release. - Pitchfork
- You can catch the Odd Future crew on a fall "Camp Flog Gnaw" tour. - Pitchfork
- Find tour dates for Black Mountain at Jagjaguwar.
- Passion Pit have canceled a portion of their upcoming tour. - Pitchfork
- Pitchfork also has the newly announced fall schedule for Kendrick Lamar.
- Niki & The Dove's first-ever American tour begins August 31st; get the schedule at Sub Pop.
- Find the latest tour dates for Stars at the band's official site.
- Get fall dates for Deerhoof at Pitchfork.
- Minus the Bear is touring this fall with Cursive; Pollstar has the details.