This week's new album releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, July 29 unless otherwise indicated.
Beck's second album release of 2014 was never supposed to arrive at all in recorded form. But then again, it isn't really a Beck album. Song Reader, with 20 new Beck compositions, was originally released as a book of sheet music back in 2012, and the artist planned on leaving it that way, until he invited a variety of musicians, actors, and other celebrities to join him in performing the material in a few one-off concerts over the past year. Now, many of those same artists turn up on this CD release, including Jarvis Cocker, Jack Black, Jack White, Laura Marling, Sparks, Tweedy, Norah Jones, Eleanor Friedberger, Fun., and Juanes ... plus Beck himself on one track.
The Voyager LISTEN (NPR)
The Voyager is the first solo album from the former Rilo Kiley frontwoman (and Postal Service contributor) since 2008's Acid Tongue. And it's her third solo release overall, if you include her release with the Watson Twins, Rabbit Fur Coat. Introspective songs inspired by the breakup of her band and the death of her father are paired with production from Ryan Adams, Mike Viola, Beck, and Johnathan Rice.
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Hypnotic Eye LISTEN (NPR)
Petty's first new studio album in four years (following 2010's Mojo) marks a return to straight-ahead, concise rock, the 63-year-old singer recently told Rolling Stone. And critics so far seem to like the band's renewed vigor. Petty will tour extensively (along with opener Steve Winwood) in support of the new set, beginning August 3rd.
Lese Majesty LISTEN (NPR)
The experimental hip-hop outfit (whose roster includes Butterfly from Digable Planets) returns with a follow-up to their well-received 2011 debut Black Up. Lese Majesty includes contributions from members of THEESatisfaction. Shabazz Palaces recently premiered the 18-track album (divided into 7 "suites") in their native Seattle, where local alt-weekly The Stranger declared it to be "the future of hiphop." And reviews of the recorded album are also extremely positive so far.
- Allman Brothers Band The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings 6xCD
- Expanded box set reissue of 1971 live album adds 15 previously unreleased performances
- Marc Broussard A Life Worth Living
- Cherry Poppin' Daddies Please Return The Evening LISTEN (NY Times)
- Eric Clapton & Friends The Breeze: An Appreciation of J.J. Cale LISTEN (iTunes Radio)
- Performers include John Mayer, Willie Nelson, Tom Petty, Derek Trucks, and Mark Knopfler
- Diplo Random White Dude Be Everywhere
- Compilation mixes old and new material
- The Dream Academy The Morning Lasted All Day... A Retrospective 2xCD
- Hooray for Earth Racy LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Land Observations The Grand Tour
- Peggy Lipton The Complete Ode Recordings
- The Muffs Whoop Dee Doo
- First new album in 10 years
- No Lands Negative Space
- Prom Body Naughty By Natural
- Brian Reitzell Watch Dogs OST
- Physical release in the UK only [28 July]
- Soft Walls No Time
- Jim-E Stack Tell Me I Belong
- Theory of a Deadman Savages
- Various Get On Up OST
- Various Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol.1 OST
- Also available in a 2-disc deluxe set that adds the film score by Tyler Bates
- Wildest Dreams Wildest Dreams LISTEN (NPR)
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- Adult Jazz
- ALBUM Gist Is streaming until its 8/4 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Beggin for Thread" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Azealia Banks
- TRACK "Heavy Metal And Reflective" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Bear in Heaven
- ALBUM Time Is Over One Day Old streaming until its 8/5 release at NPR.
- Big K.R.I.T.
- TRACK "Pay Attention" (feat. Rico Love) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Christopher Denny
- ALBUM If The Roses Don't Kill Us streaming until its 8/5 release at NPR.
- Electric Youth
- TRACK "Runaway" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Gaslight Anthem
- TRACK "Stay Vicious" streaming at YouTube.
- How to Dress Well
- TRACK "Let U Know" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lenny Kravitz
- TRACK "Sex" streaming at Billboard.
- TRACK "Tremmors" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Hudson Mohawke
- TRACK "Chimes" streaming at Soundcloud.
- NehruvianDOOM [Bishop Nehru and Doom]
- TRACK "OM" streaming at YouTube.
- ALBUM Roads To The North streaming until its 8/5 release at NPR.
- Katy Perry
- TRACK "This Is How We Do" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- The Rentals
- TRACK "1000 Seasons" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Attak" (feat. Danny Brown) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Lemonade" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Spider Bags
- ALBUM Frozen Letter streaming until its 8/5 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Inside Out" streaming at YouTube.
ALBUM They Want My Soul streaming until its 8/5 release at iTunes Radio.
- TRACK "Fake Fur Coat" streaming at VH1.
- Twin Peaks
- ALBUM Wild Onion streaming until its 8/5 release at Pitchfork.
- Various [including Matthew Dear, Com Truise, and Tycho]
- ALBUM Hohokum OST streaming until its 8/12 release at Hype Machine.
- Jessie Ware
- TRACK "Share It All" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Revealing Trade Secrets" streaming at A.V. Club.
- TRACK "Hegemony" streaming at NPR.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Beck (Colbert), Jenny Lewis (Fallon), Conor Oberst (Letterman), Christina Perri (Meyers), Train (Kimmel)
- Tuesday: Kiesza (Kimmel), Rodrigo y Gabriela (Letterman), will.i.am (Fallon)
- Wednesday: Big Data and Joywave (Meyers), Crash (Letterman), David Gray (Live on Letterman webcast at 9p ET), Self (Kimmel), Ed Sheeran, Sia, and Grouplove (SoundClash, 9p on VH1), Temples (Fallon)
- Thursday: David Gray (Letterman), Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Kimmel)
- Friday: Aloe Blacc (Fallon)
Recent artist and industry news
- Showtime will air David Bowie: Five Years, a new documentary about five key years (1971, 1975, 1977, 1980, and 1983) in the artist's career, on August 1st at 9p.
The latest music videos
The Gaslight Anthem, "Get Hurt":
Karen O, "Rapt":
Chelsea Wolfe, "The Waves Have Come":
Lily Allen, "As Long As I Got You":
Strand of Oaks, "Same Emotions":
The Drums, "Magic Mountain":
Bleached, "Poison Ivy":
Iceage, "The Lord's Favorite":
WOODS, "New Light":
CFCF, "Strange Form of Life":
In the studio / coming soon
- Unconfirmed reports surfaced last week that U2's long-delayed 13th album could arrive in stores this November, rather than in 2015 as previously suggested. - NME
- Stevie Nicks has set an October 7 release date for her latest album, 24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault. - Billboard
- Flying Lotus has titled his next album You're Dead!, and it's out October 7th via Warp.
- LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy will write the score to Noah Baumbach's new film While We're Young, which stars Ad-Rock (aka Adam Horovitz) and debuts at TIFF in September.
- SBTRKT's first album in three years is Wonder Where We Land, due out September 23rd. Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig guests, along with Sampha, A$AP Ferg, Jessie Ware, Warpaint, and more. - Pitchfork
- Block Party's Kele Okereke will release his second solo album, Trick, on October 14th; here's a teaser.
- EDM artist Avicii has turned his attention to rock music for his next album, which will feature collaborations with Jon Bon Jovi, Chris Martin, Billie Joe Armstrong, Serj Tankian, Wyclef Jean, and more. - Rolling Stone
- Minus the Bear's next LP, Lost Loves, hits stores on October 7th.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Ryan Adams will celebrate the release of his new album with an October tour. - Pitchfork
- Kevin Drew will tour in support of his latest solo LP. - Pitchfork
- EMA starts a North American fall tour on September 16. - Matador
- Flying Lotus will support his new album with a fall tour. - Warp
- Phish will visit the West Coast this fall. - Pollstar