This week's new album releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, July 8 unless otherwise indicated.
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
CSNY 1974 3xCD+DVD
This new box set (also available in a stripped-down single-disc format) compiles 40 high-quality live recordings—including both rarities and major hits— from the group's 1974 reunion tour, along with a 188-page book. The DVD features footage of another eight songs filmed during the same tour, in Maryland and in London.
Publicity-shy Australian singer Sia Furler has been opening up in recent weeks as the release date for her first album since 2010's We Are Born approaches. Greg Kurstin (Lily Allen) produced this new 12-song set, which features lead single "Chandelier" as well as the previously released "Elastic Heart," a collaboration with The Weeknd and Diplo that appeared on The Hunger Games soundtrack. Critics are somewhat divided on the album's merits so far.
- Application System Fork
- Debut for new project consisting of two of the three members of UK techno outfit The Black Dog
- Doug Benson Gateway Doug 2: Forced Fun
- Comedy album
- BlackHawk Brothers of the Southland
- Tim Bowness Abandoned Dancehall Dreams
- Braid No Coast LISTEN (NPR)
- First album in 16 years for the emo band
- Bright Light Bright Light Life Is Easy
- Chelsea Grin Ashes To Ashes
- Chicago NOW (Chicago XXXVI)
- Cold Beat Over Me LISTEN (NPR)
- Comet Gain Paperback Ghosts
- [8 July] US release is digital only
- Dirty Heads Sound of Change LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- DJ Dodger Stadium Friend Of Mine
- The-Dream Royalty: The Prequel EP
- Eaux Plastics
- Everything Goes Cold Black Out the Sun
- French Style Furs Is Exotic Bait
- Members of Cold War Kids and We Barbarians
- Gene The Southern Child Southern Meridian
- Gulp Season Sun
- Honeyblood Honeyblood
- Leela James Fall For You
- Judas Priest Redeemer of Souls
- Matt Kivel Days Of Being Wild
- Magic Man Before the Waves
- Manic Street Preachers Futurology LISTEN (23-minute album sampler)
- [UK only: 7 July]
- Richard Marx Beautiful Goodbye LISTEN (Billboard)
- The Mastersons Good Luck Charm LISTEN (NY Times)
- Eugene McGuinness Chroma
- [UK only: 7 July]
- Migos No Label II
- Ministry Last Tangle In Paris - Live 2012 2xCD+DVD
- Mike Mogis and Nathaniel Walcott The Fault in Our Stars (Score From the Motion Picture) OST
- Monuments Amanuensis
- Mr. Dream Ultimate in Luxury LISTEN (CoS)
- Origin Omnipresent
- Maxi Priest Easy to Love
- The Proper Ornaments Wooden Head
- The Relapse Symphony Shadows
- Peter Rowan Dharma Blues
- David Sardy Sabotage OST
- The Skygreen Leopards Family Crimes
- TCTS Games
- Various Boyhood OST
- Various Modeselektion Vol. 3 2xCD
- New compilation curated by Modeselektor features tracks by Fennesz, The Fall, To Rococo Rot, Illum Sphere, Brandt Brauer Frick, and more
- Viet Cong "Cassette" EP LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- First digital/vinyl release of formerly cassette-only tour EP
- Vintersorg Naturbal
- Lewis Watson The Morning LISTEN (Billboard)
- Steve Wilson Cover Version
- Wolves In The Throne Room Celestite LISTEN (NY Times)
- Wolvhammer Clawing Into Black Sun LISTEN (Stereogum)
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- Ryan Adams
- TRACK "Gimme Something Good" streaming at Spotify.
- Tony Allen
- TRACK "Go Back" (feat. Damon Albarn) streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Left Hand Free" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Clang" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Cat Power and Coldplay
- TRACK "Wish I Was Here" (from the Wish I Was Here OST) streaming at NPR.
- The Gaslight Anthem
- TRACK "Get Hurt" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Hide From the Sun" streaming at YouTube.
- Ariana Grande
- TRACK "Break Free" streaming at iHeartRadio.
- Tim Hecker
- TRACK "Amps, Drugs, Mellotron" streaming at Soundcloud.
- John Hiatt
- ALBUM Terms of My Surrender (out 7/15) streaming now at The New York Times.
- TRACK "Seen It All" (feat. Jay-Z) streaming at Audiomack.
- TRACK "Girl" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Passerby streaming until its 7/15 release at NPR.
- ALBUM World Peace Is None of Your Business streaming until its 7/15 release at NPR.
- Nile Rogers
- TRACK "Do What You Wanna Do" (new single) streaming at YouTube.
- Simian Mobile Disco
- TRACK "Tangents" streaming at YouTube.
- Slow Club
- ALBUM Complete Surrender streaming until its 7/15 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Do You" streaming at YouTube.
- Titus Andronicus
- TRACK "Stranded (On My Own)" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Trampled by Turtles
- ALBUM Wild Animals streaming until its 7/15 release at NPR.
- United Nations
- ALBUM The Next Four Years streaming until its 7/15 release at Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Good Kisser" (Disclosure remix) streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Vines
- TRACK "Out the Loop" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Anand Wilder
- ALBUM Break Line the Musical streaming until its 7/15 release at Pitchfork.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Charli XCX (Meyers), Crosby, Stills & Nash (Fallon), The War on Drugs (Letterman)
- Tuesday: Capital Cities (Letterman), Florida Georgia Line (Fallon)
- Wednesday: Neon Trees (Meyers), Sleeper Agent (Letterman), Sylvan Esso (Fallon)
- Thursday: Kiesza (Letterman), MAGIC! (Fallon)
Recent artist and industry news
- Death Grips have broken up, according to the band's recently posted napkin. - Stereogum
- The remaining, non-incarcerated members of Welsh act Lostprophets have joined with United Nations singer Geoff Rickly to form a new band, No Devotion. - Billboard
The latest music videos
Lily Allen, "URL Badman":
Little Dragon, "Pretty Girls":
How to Dress Well, "Childhood Faith In Love":
The-Dream, "Black" [NSFW]:
Paul McCartney, "Early Days":
Sufjan Stevens, "Year of the Tiger":
Tweedy, "Summer Noon":
Hospitality, "I Miss Your Bones":
In the studio / coming soon
- A new Pink Floyd album is heading to stores in October. The Endless River, which will be the (still Roger Waters-free) band's first new material since 1994's The Division Bell, is based on unreleased material recorded during sessions for that previous LP—including the final music featuring keyboardist Richard Wright prior to his death—which at one point was to be released as an instrumental album titled The Big Spliff. (The new album, however, will include vocals.) - Consequence of Sound
- Ryan Adams has a self-titled album set for a September 9 release. - Billboard
- There's a new Shellac album—the band's first in seven years—headed to stores on September 16th. Dude Incredible arrives via Touch and Go. - Pitchfork
- If you predicted that Scott Walker and Sunn O))) would record an album together, a) you're strange, and b) you're correct. Together, they are Scott O))), and 4AD will release their debut later this year. - The Quietus
- The Vines have a 22-track double album, Wicked Nature, arriving on September 2nd. - NME
- Wiz Khalifa's third album Blacc Hollywood will drop on August 19th.
- A new Jeezy album, Seen It All, comes September 2nd.
- Rapper Meek Mill's second LP, Dreams Worth More Than Money, arrives September 9th. Here's an album trailer.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.