This week's new album releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, June 10 unless otherwise indicated.
First Aid Kit
Stay Gold LISTEN (NPR)
The Swedish sister alt-folk duo follow their critically acclaimed 2012 set The Lion's Roar with this third album, produced by Mike Mogis (Bright Eyes). Stay Gold finds the sisters working with a larger musical palette, including a 13-piece orchestra, and early reviews are especially strong.
Stockholm LISTEN (The Guardian)
Pretenders frontwoman Chrissie Hynde has done many things in her 40-year career in music, but releasing a solo album has not been one of them. Stockholm, then, qualifies as her first, though if you think it sounds a bit like Hynde fronting Swedish indie-rockers Peter, Bjorn and John, it almost is: that group's Bjorn Yttling is Hynde's collaborator here, producing, co-writing the songs, and even playing guitar. Perhaps we could call them Chrissie, Bjorn and John? (The John, of course, is tennis great John McEnroe—seriously—who guests on one track.) Neil Young also guests. Critics aren't that impressed so far.
Richie Hawtin's first Plastikman album in over a decade is a live set (of all new material) performed at New York's Guggenheim Museum in 2013. The digital release is tomorrow, while a physical version will arrive on July 15th. Listen to a preview of the album at YouTube.
Lazaretto LISTEN (iTunes Radio)
Though the former White Stripes frontman has remained ever prolific since the demise of that band, this week's Lazaretto is just his second solo album to date, following 2012's Blunderbuss. Recorded over the past two years, Lazaretto's 11 tracks find White accompanied by two different backing bands, the female-only Peacocks and the all-male Buzzards. White has already generated buzz for the album by recording and pressing a single for a live version of the title track in matter of hours, and the gimmickry will extend to the LP itself, which will also be available in an "ultra" vinyl version with hidden tracks playable at varying speeds (along with a hologram and other curious features). The new album is receiving mostly positive reviews so far.
C86 3xCD [9 Jun]
The legendary mail order cassette compilation released by music magazine New Musical Express in 1986 is back (in the UK, at least), in greatly expanded form. Its name quickly becoming synonymous with the indie-rock movement it helped create, C86 featured 22 jangle-pop tracks from then-unknown bands such as Primal Scream, The Pastels, The Wedding Present, The Mighty Lemon Drops, McCarthy, The Soup Dragons, and more. Next month's carefully curated deluxe box-set reissue expands the tracklist to a whopping 72 songs, with the added tracks all drawing from similar bands and recorded during the same 1985-86 time period. (Think early recordings from the likes of Jesus and Mary Chain, Pop Will Eat Itself, Blue Aeroplanes, The Primitives, Happy Mondays, and more.) Some of these new songs are never-before-released, while most of the tracks on this three-disc-set are appearing on CD for the first time ever.
- Alexander Turnquist Flying Fantasy
- The Atlas Moth The Old Believer LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Bad History Month / Dust From 1000 Yrs Famous Cigarettes
- Split LP
- Tomas Barfod Love Me LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Body Count Manslaughter
- Colbie Caillat Gypsy Heart Side A EP
- Surprise release is out today; includes 5 new songs that will also appear on her next album Gypsy Heart, due out later in 2014
- Canibus Fait Accompli
- Chief Keef Bang 3
- clipping. CLPPNG EP LISTEN (NPR)
- Craft Spells Nausea
- Death Grips Niggas on the Moon LISTEN (Soundcloud) DOWNLOAD (Third Worlds)
- Surprise free album (released early this morning) is the first half of a double album (The Powers That B, due out later in 2014) and features unrecognizable vocals from Bjork on every track
- Dub Club vs the Lions This Generation Dub
- Dub Thompson 9 Songs
- The Fresh & Onlys House of Spirits LISTEN (NY Times)
- Mary Gauthier Trouble & Love
- Half-Handed Cloud Flying Scroll Flight Control
- Paul Hardcastle The Jazzmasters VII
- Dave Harrington Before This There Was One Heart But A Thousand Thoughts EPLISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Solo set for Harrington, who is half of the duo Darkside
- Hellyeah Blood for Blood
- Howling Bells Heartstrings
- José James While You Were Sleeping LISTEN (NPR)
- Kasabian 48:13
- [UK only: 9 Jun]
- Lust for Youth International LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- This more accessible synth-pop outing finds Denmark's Lust for Youth expanding from a solo project for producer Hannes Norrvide into a trio
- Mayday X Murs Mursday
- Mayhem Esoteric Warfare
- Memory Map The Sky As Well As Space LISTEN (Spin)
- Night Ranger High Road
- O.A.R. The Rockville LP
- Passenger Whispers
- The Rippingtons Fountain of Youth
- Stagnant Pools Geist
- Alexis Taylor Await Barbarians
- Second solo album (and first for Domino) for the Hot Chip and About Group member
- Tesla Simplicity
- Tiny Victories Haunts
- Tombs Savage Gold LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Trap Them Blissfucker
- Umphrey's McGee Similar Skin LISTEN (Billboard)
- Uriah Heep Outsider
- Various Bullets Over Broadway (Original Broadway Cast Recording)
- Tom Vek Luck LISTEN (CoS)
- The Who Quadrophenia: Live in London DVD/Blu-ray
- Wreck & Reference Want
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- Angel Haze (feat. Ludacris)
- TRACK "22 Jump Street" streaming at YouTube.
- The Antlers
- ALBUM Familiars streaming until its 6/17 release at NPR.
- Avi Buffalo
- TRACK "So What" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Body Count
- TRACK "Bitch in The Pit" streaming at YouTube.
- ALBUM Noise streaming until its 6/17 release at NPR.
- TRACK "No Coast" streaming at EW.
- TRACK "Can't Do Without You" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Neko Case and Kelly Hogan
- TRACK "These Aren't the Droids" streaming at Paste.
- Crystal Stilts
- TRACK "Delirium Tremendous" streaming at YouTube.
- Lana Del Rey
- TRACK "Brooklyn Baby" streaming at YouTube.
TRACK "Ultraviolence" streaming at YouTube.
- The Felice Brothers
- TRACK "Lion" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Robyn Hitchcock
- TRACK "The Ghost In You" (Psychedelic Furs cover) streaming at YouTube.
- ALBUM Love Frequency streaming at The Guardian.
- La Roux
- TRACK "Tropical Chancer" streaming at Pitchfork.
- Jenny Lewis
- TRACK "Just One of the Guys" [prod. by Beck] streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Los Campesinos!
- TRACK "Little Mouth" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Seek Warmer Climes streaming until its 6/17 release at Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Chimes at Midnight" streaming at YouTube.
- Giorgio Moroder
- TRACK "Giorgio's Theme" streaming/downloadable from Adult Swim.
- TRACK "Earth Is the Loneliest Planet" streaming at Spotify.
- My Brightest Diamond
- TRACK "Pressure" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Willie Nelson
- ALBUM Band of Brothers streaming until its 6/17 release at NPR.
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- TRACK "American Dream Plan B" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- The Rentals
- TRACK "Thought of Sound" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Rosebuds
- TRACK "In My Teeth" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Kicking Down Doors" streaming at Soundcloud.
- SBTRKT feat. Sampha
- TRACK "Temporary View" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Supermarket streaming at The Quietus.
- Sam Smith
- ALBUM In the Lonely Hour streaming until its 6/17 U.S. release at NPR.
- TRACK "Never Work for Free" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Ting Tings
- TRACK "Wrong Club" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "M.E.A.T." streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "I'll Sing It" streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Grouplove (Conan), Willie Nelson (Letterman), Sia (Meyers), Jack White (Fallon)
- Tuesday: The Orwells (Letterman), Ed Sheeran (Fallon)
- Wednesday: Janelle Monae (Letterman), Paolo Nutini (Meyers)
- Thursday: First Aid Kit (Letterman), Kacey Musgraves (Fallon)
- Friday: Body Count (Fallon)
Recent artist and industry news
- Advance screenings of Sundance-winning documentary 20,000 Days on Earth, about singer Nick Cave, will take place in multiple cities this summer prior to a likely theatrical release this fall. Check out the schedule at CoS.
- The Whitest Boy Alive have broken up. - Pitchfork
- The Beastie Boys have been awarded $1.7 million in their copyright infringement suit against Monster Energy. - Billboard
The latest music videos
Parquet Courts, "Black and White":
Jack White, "Lazaretto":
The Antlers, "Hotel":
Kimbra, "90s Music":
Blood Orange, "You're Not Good Enough" [directed by Gia Coppola]:
Washed Out, "Weightless":
Electric Youth, "Innocence":
How to Dress Well, "Face Again":
PSY feat. Snoop Dogg, "Hangover":
Kevin Drew, "You in Your Were" [feat. Zach Galifianakis & Feist]:
In the studio / coming soon
- Spoon's first album in four years has been titled They Want My Soul, and it will be out on August 5th via new label Loma Vista (following five albums for Merge). The band turned to outside producers for the first time, including the ubiquitous Dave Fridmann as well as Joe Chiccarelli. The first single may be out as soon as tomorrow. - Billboard
- Dan Snaith has a new Caribou album, Our Love, due out October 7th. The first Caribou release in four years, it will feature collaborations with Owen Pallett and singer Jessy Lanza.
- Interpol returns September 9th with El Pintor, the band's fifth album overall and first since 2010. Find more details at Matador or watch a making-of video.
- Alt-J will follow their Mercury Prize-winning debut with a second album, This All Is Yours, on September 23. - NME
- FKA twigs will release her full-length debut, LP1, on August 12th.
- Ty Segall's first album of 2014, Manipulator, will arrive on August 26th. Preview some of the tracks in this album trailer.
- Frank Turner is preparing to release a more "upbeat" follow-up to Tape Deck Heart in February. - NME
- Common reunites with producer No I.D. for his latest album, Nobody's Smiling, which hits stores on July 22nd.
- Robyn Hitchcock has a new solo album, The Man Upstairs, arriving August 26th, featuring a mix of originals and covers (of songs by the Psychedelic Furs, Roxy Music, The Doors, and more). - CoS
- Swedish metal band Opeth's next album, Pale Communion, will hit stores on August 26th.
- Tweedy is a new band featuring Wilco's Jeff Tweedy and his 18-year-old son, Spencer. Their debut, Sukierae, will arrive on September 16th. - Pitchfork
- A new Avi Buffalo album, At Best Cuckold, will be out on September 9.
- The Rosebuds will move to a new label (Western Vinyl) for the release of Sand + Silence on August 5th.
- The Rentals' first album in 15 years, Lost in Alphaville, arrives on August 26. - Pitchfork
- This Is My Hand, the fifth album from My Brightest Diamond, will arrive on September 16th.
- Electric Youth, best known for "A Real Hero," their Drive soundtrack collaboration with College, have signed to Secretly Canadian, which will release the Toronto duo's debut album this fall.
- Axl Rose claims that Guns N' Roses have recorded a follow-up to 2008's Chinese Democracy, as well as a remix album of songs from that prior album. Expect them both to surface within the next 50 years. - Rolling Stone
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The 1975 will head to the U.S. at the end of 2014. - Pollstar
- A newly reunited King Crimson will play 17 shows in 9 cities this fall. - Rolling Stone
- Sondre Lerche's fall North American tour begins September 23rd. - Pollstar
- Lykke Li is also headed to North America this fall. - Pitchfork
- Modest Mouse have announced their summer tour plans. - CoS
- Panda Bear will tour this fall. - Pitchfork
- Senses Fail will tour this fall in celebration of the band's 10th anniversary. - Pollstar
- White Fence has an East Coast tour set for October. - CoS
- Widespread Panic have announced fall dates. - Pollstar