This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, March 12 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Adrenaline Mob Coverta EP
- Audio Adrenaline Kings & Queens
- Devendra Banhart
Mala LISTEN (3voor12)
- The first release in four years for L.A.-based indie-folk-rock artist is also his debut for his new label Nonesuch. Banhart he co-produced the stylistically diverse set with Noah Georgeson of his touring band. Critics so far don't seem to like it as much as his earlier work, with some finding Mala a bit uneven.
- Biffy Clyro Opposites LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- US release
- Binary Amber EP
- Bon Jovi What About Now
- David Bowie
The Next Day
- Bowie's first album in a decade reunites the music legend (now 66) with his longtime producer Tony Visconti. While Bowie has long been at the stage where every new release is hailed as a glorious return to form, that description actually seems to fit The Next Day, which intentionally echoes key moments from throughout his career (including on the album cover itself, which is basically Heroes redacted), and which has also been receiving terrific early reviews. Note that the deluxe edition includes three additional tracks.
- Larry Carlton and Robben Ford Unplugged
- Eric Clapton Old Sock
- The guitarist's 21st studio album includes two originals and 10 covers; Paul McCartney, Steve Winwood, JJ Cale, and Chaka Khan guest
- The Delfonics Adrian Younge Presents The Delfonics
- Girls Names The New Life
- Goldie The Alchemist: The Best Of Goldie 1992-2012 3xCD
- The box set includes the drum & bass artist's greatest hits as well as his remixes for other artists [UK only: 11 Mar]
- Matthew Good Old Fighters
- Career-spanning compilation includes studio recordings and live tracks
- Megan Hilty It Happens All The Time LISTEN
- Home by Hovercraft Are We Chameleons?
- Shooter Jennings The Other Life LISTEN
- Amos Lee Live from the Artists Den DVD
- The Mary Onettes Hit the Waves
- Mindless Behavior All Around the World
- Off With Their Heads Home
- Orianthi Heaven in This Hell LISTEN
- Squarepusher Enstrobia EP
- Digital only
- Turbogeist Ancient Secrets EP LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Various Sound City: Real To Reel LISTEN (3voor12)
- Features new songs recorded for Dave Grohl's recent documentary Sound City (also out this week on DVD/Blu-ray) by an all-star band featuring Grohl, Paul McCartney, Krist Novoselic, Josh Homme, Stevie Nicks, Rick Springfield, Trent Reznor, and more
- The Virgins Strike Gently
- Watsky Cardboard Castles
- Wild Belle Isles LISTEN
More streaming and downloadable new music
- TRACK "Idle (Second Thoughts)" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Appleseed Cast
- TRACK "Great Lake Derelict" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Art Brut
- TRACK "Arizona Bay" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- TRACK "Home" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Azealia Banks
- TRACK "Yung Rapunxel" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Miasma Sky" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "À tout à l'heure" streaming at YouTube.
- James Blake
- TRACK "Digital Lion" (featuring Brian Eno) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Brandt Brauer Frick
- ALBUM Miami streaming until its 3/19 release at NPR.
- ALBUM Snap Yr Cookies (new remix compilation) streaming at The Quietus.
- Simone Dinnerstein & Tift Merritt
- ALBUM Night streaming until its 3/19 release at NPR.
- TRACK "5am in Toronto" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Envenom Mettle" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Flaming Lips
- TRACK "Look...The Sun Is Rising" streaming at NPR.
- Fol Chen
- TRACK "IOU" downloadable from Stereogum.
- Eleanor Friedberger
- TRACK "Stare at the Sun" streaming at YouTube.
- Ghostface Killah and Adrian Younge
- TRACK "The Sure Shot [parts 1 and 2]" streaming at Bandcamp.
- Iggy and the Stooges
- TRACK "Burn" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM The Invisible Way streaming until its 3/19 release at NPR.
- Julian Lynch
- TRACK "Gloves" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "StarWaves" (from the Oblivion soundtrack) streaming at Pitchfork.
- Laura Marling
- TRACK "Where Can I Go?" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Who Are You?" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "I Like It Small" downloadable from Stereogum.
- Kacey Musgraves
- ALBUM Same Trailer Different Park streaming until its 3/19 release at NPR.
- Neon Neon
- TRACK "Mid Century Modern Nightmare" streaming at YouTube.
- The Ocean Blue
- ALBUM Ultramarine (out 3/19) streaming at Spinner.
- ALBUM Calidostópia! streaming/downloadable at Pitchfork.
- She & Him
- TRACK "Never Wanted Your Love" streaming at YouTube.
- Smith Westerns
- TRACK "Varsity" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Angel Integer" streaming at YouTube.
- ALBUM Bloodsports streaming until its 3/19 release at NPR.
- Surfer Blood
- TRACK "Demon Dance" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Thee Oh Sees
- TRACK "Toe Cutter – Thumb Buster" downloadable from Stereogum.
- John Vanderslice
- TRACK "Big Brother" (David Bowie cover) downloadable from Stereogum.
- ALBUM Spring Breakers OST streaming through 3/13 at Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Love Bends" downloadable from Stereogum.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Depeche Mode (Letterman, plus full concert streaming at Live on Letterman, 8p ET/5p PT), Ashley Monroe (Leno), Snoop Lion (Conan), Justin Timberlake (Fallon)
- Tuesday: Buddy Guy and The Experience Hendrix All-Star Band (Leno), Josh Ritter (Letterman), Justin Timberlake (Fallon)
- Wednesday: Jose James (Leno), Aimee Mann (Conan), Richard Thompson (Letterman), Justin Timberlake (Fallon)
- Thursday: Luke Bryan (Conan), Elizabeth Cook (Letterman), Owl City with Yuna (Leno), Justin Timberlake (Fallon)
- Friday: Dropkick Murphys (Letterman), Harper Simon (Leno), Justin Timberlake (Fallon)
The latest music videos
Beach House, "Wishes" [starring Ray Wise; directed by Eric Wareheim]:
The Knife, "A Tooth for an Eye":
FIDLAR, "Max Can't Surf II: The Zuk Trip":
Foals, "Late Night" [NSFW]:
Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, and Trent Reznor, "Mantra":
French Montana feat. Nicki Minaj, "Freaks" [NSFW]:
The Uncluded, "Scissorhands":
Dan Deacon, "Crash Jam":
Alkaline Trio, "I Wanna Be a Warhol" [starring Milla Jovovich]:
Portugal. The Man, "Evil Friends":
Mumford & Sons, "Whispers in the Dark":
In the studio / coming soon
- Warp Records will release Bibio's next album, Silver Wilkinson, on May 14th.
- Bosnian Rainbows, the new project from Omar Rodríguez-López (formerly of Mars Volta and At The Drive-In), will release their self-titled debut on June 25th.
- May 27 brings Once I Was an Eagle, a new LP from Laura Marling. - Pitchfork
- Takako Minekawa is collaborating with Dustin Wong (of Ponytail) for her first album in 13 years, Toropical Circle; it's out on May 15th.
- Eleanor Friedberger (Fiery Furnaces) will release her second solo album, Personal Record, on June 4. - Merge
- Obsidian is the second album from Baths, out May 28th via anticon.
- Os Mutantes will release the second album of their recent comeback, Fool Metal Jack, on April 30th. Sample some of the new tunes at Pitchfork.
- Wu-Tang Clan is hoping to release their next album this year in honor of the group's 20th anniversary. - Billboard
- Portugal. the Man releases the Danger Mouse-produced Evil Friends on June 4th.
- Smith Westerns return with Soft Will on June 11. - BPM
- Dead Can Dance will release a double live album, In Concert, on April 16. - Pitchfork
- Paul Oakenfold's next album Pop Killer will feature Azealia Banks and Miguel. - Billboard
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Big Boi has scheduled a 45-city tour for the summer, with Killer Mike serving as the opener. - Rolling Stone
- Depeche Mode have finally added North American dates to their world tour; they'll arrive in the States toward the end of August. - Consequence of Sound
- It's not official yet, but expect an 18-date North American tour from the Rolling Stones this year. - Rolling Stone
- Of Montreal will be touring the U.S. this spring; Pitchfork has the schedule.
- Pitchfork also has the schedule for Ghostface Killah.
- Vampire Weekend have added HAIM as the opening act for select dates on their upcoming tour. - Consequence of Sound
- Mobb Deep's 20th anniversary tour launches in May. - CoS
- Dinosaur Jr. are visiting the West Coast this April. - Jagjaguwar
- MGMT won't release their next album until June at the earliest, but they'll likely be testing out some of that new material in their live shows scheduled for the spring. - Pitchfork
- Find North American dates for Mount Kimbie at Warp.
- Best Coast have added some East Coast dates for June. - Pitchfork
- Get new dates for The Black Crowes at Pollstar.
- Japandroids have added dates to their upcoming schedule. - CoS
- Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti have announced a tour spanning May and June. - Pitchfork
- Danny Brown is touring with Kitty this April and May. - CoS
- Smashing Pumpkins will be on the road for much of the summer. - Pitchfork
- Peter Murphy's upcoming solo tour will find him playing only Bauhaus material. - CoS
- The lineup for the first Chicago edition of the Electric Daisy Carnival has been announced.
- The Weezer Cruise will return for a second voyage in early 2014. - Pitchfork