This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, March 26 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- David Archuleta No Matter How Far LISTEN
- Blu NoYork
- Joe Bonamassa An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House 2xCD/DVD/Blu-ray
- Crystal Bowersox All That for This LISTEN
- Chvrches Recover EP
- Jace Clayton The Julius Eastman Memory Depot
- Clayton, better known as DJ /rupture, releases an album under his own name, and it focuses on the late composer/singer/dancer Julius Eastman
- Edwyn Collins Understated LISTEN (The Guardian)
- Crime & The City Solution American Twilight LISTEN
- First new studio album since 1990; The Dirty Three's Jim White guests
- Depeche Mode
- Delta Machine is the first album from the synthpop legends in four years and their 13th studio LP overall. Produced by the band's Martin Gore with Ben Hillier (who also was behind the boards for the previous two albums), the new set was mixed by Flood, working with Depeche Mode for the first time since Songs of Faith and Devotion. Early reviews vary widely, but there certainly seems to be enough here to keep longtime fans satisfied.
- Dido Girl Who Got Away
- Kendrick Lamar guests on an album that also features a few tracks produced by Brian Eno and Greg Kurstin
- Iron Maiden Maiden England '88 2xCD/2xDVD
- Alan Jackson Precious Memories Volume II
- Kvelertak Meir LISTEN (3voor12)
- Lil Wayne I Am Not a Human Being II
- Guests include Drake, Nicki Minaj, Big Sean, Gunplay, and 2 Chainz
- Little Green Cars Absolute Zero
- Julian Lynch Lines
- The Milk Carton Kids The Ash & Clay LISTEN (3voor12)
- Mountain Sounds Mountain Sounds LISTEN (BPM)
- OneRepublic Native
- A Rocket to the Moon Wild & Free LISTEN (Billboard)
- Senses Fail Renacer LISTEN (MTV)
- Sevendust Black Out the Sun LISTEN
- Blake Shelton Based on a True Story...
- Harper Simon Division Street
- Stephen Stills Carry On 4xCD
- Career-spanning box set includes greatest hits, live recordings, and 25 previously unreleased tracks
- The Story So Far What You Don't See
- The Strokes
Comedown Machine LISTEN (3voor12)
- Unlike the sessions for their previous album Angles, which found singer Julian Casablancas recording his parts in a separate location away from his bandmates, The Strokes recorded their latest LP as a group in New York with producer Gus Oberg (who mixed part of Angles). Critics can't seem to come to a consensus about the album, though, if later reviews aren't much better, Machine could finish as the band's lowest-scoring album to date.
- Stryper Second Coming
- Suicidal Tendencies 13
- First studio album in 13 years
- Thompson Square Just Feels Good
- Wavves Afraid of Heights
- Jenny Lewis guests
- Wax Idols Discipline + Desire
Change Becomes Us LISTEN (NME)
- Longtime Wire fans have heard some of these tracks before, but never in this way. The latest from the English punk/post-punk/art rock band consists of material that has been floating around—fragmentary and unfinished—since the band's 1979-80 heyday, and while some of these songs appeared (in drastically different form) on a 1981 live album, none have been recorded until now, when they have been rewritten, reconstructed, and polished into an album not dissimilar from Wire's recent output.
More streaming and downloadable new music
- TRACK "Leanin' On Slick" streamin' at Soundcloud.
- Alkaline Trio
- TRACK "The Temptation Of St. Anthony" streaming at YouTube.
- Danny Brown
- TRACK "Kush Coma" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Neko Case
- TRACK "That's Who I Am" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Caveman streaming until its 4/2 release at NPR.
- Cold Cave
- TRACK "People Are Poison" streaming at YouTube.
- Future Bible Heroes
- TRACK "Living, Loving, Partygoing" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Juan Maclean
- TRACK "You Are My Destiny" streaming at Soundcloud.
- John Legend
- TRACK "The Beginning" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Little Boots
- TRACK "Broken Record" streaming at YouTube.
- Mount Kimbie
- TRACK "Made to Stray" streaming at YouTube.
- Night Moves
- TRACK "Colored Emotions" streaming at YouTube.
- The Postal Service
- TRACK "Turn Around" (previously unreleased) streaming at The End.
- Primal Scream
- TRACK "It's Alright, It's OK" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Triadzz" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "She Will" streaming at YouTube.
- ScHoolboy Q
- TRACK "Yay Yay" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Snoop Lion
- TRACK "No Guns Allowed" (featuring Drake) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Starz" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Colin Stetson & Justin Vernon
- TRACK "Warm Shadow" (Fink cover) streaming at YouTube.
- The Strokes
- TRACK "Fast Animals" (new B-side) streaming at YouTube.
- ALBUM Dormarion streaming until its 4/2 release at NPR.
- Vampire Weekend
- TRACK "Diane Young" streaming at YouTube.
TRACK "Step" streaming at YouTube.
- John Vanderslice
- TRACK "Raw Wood" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Kurt Vile
- TRACK "Never Run Away" downloadable from Consequence of Sound.
- White Fence
- TRACK "Fragility" streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Crystal Bowersox (Leno), Dustin Lynch (Kimmel), Royal Teeth (Carson Daly), Ed Sheeran (Letterman), Langhorne Slim (Conan), Wale (Fallon)
- Tuesday: Django Django (Leno), Little Green Cars (Fallon), A Silent Film (Carson Daly), Pegi Young (Letterman)
- Wednesday: Dido (Fallon), Divine Fits (Kimmel), Josh Groban (Leno), The Men (Carson Daly), The Milk Carton Kids (Conan), Wavves (Letterman)
- Thursday: Gold Fields (Carson Daly), Imagine Dragons (Leno), Kendrick Lamar (Kimmel), Blake Shelton (Fallon)
Recent artist and industry news
- The band My Chemical Romance has dissolved after a dozen years and four albums. - Billboard
- The organizers of Record Store Day have published a complete list of this year's special releases, which will be sold at select record shops on April 20th.
- Nine Inch Nails have made a 74-minute portion of a tour documentary filmed during their mid-1990s Self Destruct Tour available online for viewing.
The latest music videos
Justin Timberlake, "Mirrors":
Sigur Rós, "Brennisteinn":
The Thermals, "Born to Kill":
Rilo Kiley, "Let Me Back In":
The Men, "I Saw Her Face":
Django Django, "WOR":
Captain Murphy [Flying Lotus], "The Killing Joke":
Death Grips, "Lock Your Doors":
Telekinesis, "Ghosts and Creatures":
Bobby Womack, "It's Been A Long Night":
Fall Out Boy, "The Phoenix":
In the studio / coming soon
- Daft Punk will be playing in your house (over the hi-fi) on May 21st; that day, the reclusive French duo release Random Access Memories, their first new studio album since 2005. You can hear a tiny snippet of one of the album's 13 tracks at the official album site, and pre-orders are now being taken at iTunes.
- The National have also set a May 21st release date for their highly anticipated new 4AD release, Trouble Will Find Me. Guests will include Sufjan Stevens, St. Vincent, and Sharon Van Etten. - Rolling Stone, Gothamist
- Sigur Rós have a new studio album, Kveikur, set for a June 18 release on XL Recordings. - BPM
- May 7 will bring a new Deerhunter album, Monomania. - BPM
- Queens of the Stone Age have titled their next album ...Like Clockwork, and it will be out in June on Matador, though an exact date hasn't been announced.
- London-based electronica duo Mount Kimbie have announced a May 28 release date for their second album and first Warp Records release, Cold Spring Fault Less Youth. - CoS
- The Terror, the upcoming album from The Flaming Lips, has been pushed back two weeks to April 16th.
- Will.i.am's solo album #willpower has been confirmed for an April 23rd release. Guests include Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, Lil Wayne, and Diddy. - Billboard
- Stephin Merritt's Future Bible Heroes project has a new album, Partygoing, set for a June 4th release on Merge. That label will also release a box set combining the new album with the group's two previous LPs and some EP tracks.
- The Horrors are targeting September for the release of their next album. - NME
- Echo & The Bunnymen are recording a new album (called The Garden of Meedin') that should be released before the end of the year. - The Quietus
- Ryan Adams has been in the studio with producer Glyn Johns, and a new album should be out soon. Adams has also started a new punk band called Pornography, and their debut EP will be released on Record Store Day. - Billboard, Stereogum
- Justin Timberlake has confirmed last week's rumors that he'll release a second album of new songs (billed as the second half of The 20/20 Experience) later this year. - Billboard
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Public Enemy, De La Soul, LL Cool J, and Ice Cube all on one tour? Yup, and it starts in May. - Consequence of Sound
- Prince will be playing club dates in select West Coast cities this spring. - CoS
- Devendra Banhart also launches his North American tour in May. - CoS
- Get summer dates for Eleanor Friedberger at Merge.
- Are you ready for Andrew W.K.'s Human Party Machine Solo Tour? - CoS
- The Eagles have scheduled a short tour for July. - Rolling Stone
- Find the summer itinerary for Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros at CoS.
- CoS also has the summer schedule for Dawes.
- John Mayer's first tour in three years kicks off in July. - Billboard
- This year's Summerland Tour, featuring Everclear, Live, Filter, and Sponge, kicks off in May. (Yes, the one in 2013.) - Rolling Stone