Music Monday fans: Note that next week's column will run on Tuesday, May 28 (rather than Monday) due to the Memorial Day holiday.
This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, May 21 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Airbourne Black Dog Barking
- Alpine A Is For Alpine
- U.S. release of 2012 debut album by Australian alternative act
- Attic Lights Super De Luxe
- The Baptist Generals Jackleg Devotional to the Heart LISTEN (3voor12)
- The Beach Boys The Beach Boys Live - The 50th Anniversary Tour 2xCD
- Recorded during last year's reunion tour
- The Black Dog Tranklements
- The Brand New Heavies Forward
- Captain Beyond Live In Texas - October 6, 1973
- Clairy Browne & The Bangin' Rackettes Baby Caught the Bus
- U.S. release of 2012 album from the Australian band best known for the Heineken commercial-scoring "Love Letter"
- Club 8 Above the City
- Come Eleven:Eleven 2xCD
- Reissue (by Matador) of out-of-print 1992 album, with a bonus disc containing a 1992 concert performance
- Jamie Cullum Momentum
- Daft Punk
Random Access Memories LISTEN (iTunes)
- Helmeted French dance music duo Daft Punk return Tuesday with Random Access Memories, their first proper album since 2005's disappointing Human After All 57. The new set is faring much better with critics, and it features an all-star guest roster that includes The Strokes' Julian Casablancas, legendary producer Giorgio Moroder, singer-songwriter Paul Williams (yes, the man who wrote "Rainbow Connection"), Animal Collective's Panda Bear, house producer Todd Edwards, and Chilly Gonzales, plus a host of session musicians from some of the duo's favorite 1970s and '80s albums and one heck of a lead single in the already ubiquitous "Get Lucky."
- Death Cab for Cutie The Barsuk Years Box set
- Limited-edition vinyl box set containing the band's early albums and EPs, some on vinyl for the first time
- Dirty Beaches Drifters/Love Is The Devil LISTEN (3voor12)
- Emma Louise vs Head vs Heart
- French Montana Excuse My French
- The rapper's debut album (co-released by Bad Boy Records and Maybach Music Group) includes appearances by The Weeknd, Drake, Snoop Dogg, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, Ne-Yo, Diddy, and more
- The Front Bottoms Talon of the Hawk
- G&D The Lighthouse
- Laurel Halo Behind The Green Door EP
- Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa Seesaw
- Bob James & David Sanborn Quartette Humaine
- Japanther Eat Like Lisa Act Like Bart LISTEN (Spin)
- Jesse Ruins A Film
- Majical Cloudz Impersonator LISTEN (Pitchfork; today only)
- Matador Records debut for the Montreal duo
- Man or Astro-Man? Defcon…5…4…3…2…1
- First album in 12 years for the sci-fi surf-rock outfit
- Willy Moon Here's Willy Moon
- µ-Ziq XTEK EP
- The National
Trouble Will Find Me LISTEN (iTunes)
- This week's other major release is also on the receiving end of great advance reviews (which has become the norm for The National; their previous three LPs averaged an 84). The latest from the New York-based indie-rockers includes appearances by St. Vincent, Sufjan Stevens, and Sharon Van Etten, though the real draw, as always, is The National's literate, brooding rock and Matt Berninger's distinctive baritone.
- New Politics A Bad Girl in Harlem LISTEN (MTV)
- Scout Niblett It's Up to Emma
- Graham Reynolds Before Midnight OST
- The Rolling Stones Crossfire Hurricane DVD/Blu-ray
- Documentary about the early days of the Rolling Stones; home video release contains bonus concert footage
- Darius Rucker True Believers
- Third country album from the Hootie & The Blowfish frontman
- Saturday Looks Good to Me One Kiss Ends It All
- Shannon and the Clams Dreams in the Rat House
- SQÜRL EP #1
- Four-song debut from trio (formerly known as Bad Rabbit) of filmmaker Jim Jarmusch, Carter Logan, and Shane Stoneback
- Thirty Seconds to Mars Love Lust Faith + Dreams
- Hanan Townshend To the Wonder OST
- U.D.O. Steelhammer
- Various After Dark 2
- Long-delayed Italians Do It Better label compilation includes previously unreleased music by Chromatics, Glass Candy, and more Johnny Jewel projects [released last Friday on iTunes]
- Various Behind the Candelabra OST
- Soundtrack to Steven Soderbergh's HBO film includes the final music composed by the late Marvin Hamlisch
- Various Fast & Furious 6 OST
- Various The Source Family OST
- The Vibrators On the Guest List
- Visage Hearts and Knives
- First album in almost 30 years for the New Wave act of "Fade to Grey" fame
More streaming and downloadable new music
- ALBUM Saltwater (out 5/28) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Camera Obscura
- TRACK "Fifth In Line To The Throne" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Cockroach" downloadable from Stereogum.
- The Dodos
- TRACK "Confidence" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Four Tet
- TRACK "Unspoken" (unreleased version that samples Tori Amos' "Winter") downloadable from Soundcloud.
- French Montana
- TRACK "Gifted" (feat. The Weeknd) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Eleanor Friedberger
- TRACK "She's a Mirror" streaming at Rookie.
- Laurel Halo
- TRACK "Sex Mission" streaming at NPR.
- Mayer Hawthorne
- TRACK "Her Favorite Song" (featuring Jessie Ware) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Hospital Ships
- TRACK "If It Speaks" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Ultraviolet (out 5/28) streaming through 5/23 at Pitchfork.
- TRACKS "I Saw You From the Lifeboat" and "Perfume Tear" (both new) downloadable from the official site.
- The Lonely Island
- TRACK "I Fucked My Aunt" (featuring T-Pain) streaming at YouTube.
- Laura Marling
- TRACK "Once" streaming at Soundcloud.
ALBUM Once I Was an Eagle streaming until its 5/28 release at NPR.
- Mount Kimbie
- TRACK "You Took Your Time" (featuring King Krule) streaming at YouTube.
ALBUM Cold Spring Fault Less Youth streaming until its 5/28 release at NPR.
- Sean Nelson (former Harvey Danger frontman)
- ALBUM Make Good Choices streaming until its 6/4 release at NPR.
- Skinny Puppy
- TRACK "saLvo" downloadable from Rolling Stone.
- TRACK "Looks Good with Trouble" (featuring Kendrick Lamar) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Sonny & The Sunsets
- TRACK "Palmreader" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Smith Westerns
- TRACK "3am Spiritual" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Mavis Staples
- TRACK "I Like The Things About Me" streaming at Complex.
- Teenage Guitar (new Robert Pollard project)
- TRACK "Atlantic Cod" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Keep Up" (new single, due in July) streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM False Idols streaming until its 5/28 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Shameless Fashion" streaming at YouTube.
- The Weeknd
- TRACK "Kiss Land" (from his forthcoming LP of the same name, date tba) streaming at YouTube.
- Wu-Tang Clan
- TRACK "Execution in Autumn" streaming at Bandcamp.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Ahmir (Fallon), The Black Angels (Conan), The-Dream with Kelly Rowland (Leno), Grape St. (Carson Daly), Jewel (Kimmel), The National (Letterman)
- Tuesday: J. Cole (Fallon), John Fogerty (Letterman), Milo Greene (Carson Daly), Thirty Seconds to Mars (Kimmel), Thompson Square (Leno)
- Wednesday: The Coup (Carson Daly), John Fogerty with Dawes (Letterman), The Lone Bellow (Leno), Bobby McFerrin (Fallon), The National (The Colbert Report), Darius Rucker (Kimmel), Thirty Seconds to Mars (Conan)
- Thursday: The Men (Carson Daly), The Mowgli's (Conan), Shout Out Louds (Leno), Reggie Watts (Kimmel)
- Friday: Sigur Ros (Leno), They Might Be Giants (Fallon)
Recent artist and industry news
- Google announced plans to expand into the subscription music streaming arena with Google All Access, which is now available via Google Play. The Spotify/Pandora competitor will allow streaming from a vast music catalog for $9.99/month. Apple is expected to launch a similar service (iRadio) once it can finalize licensing deals with the various record labels. - CNET
- Were you aware that Diddy has been on Downton Abbey for two seasons now? Here's the "proof."
- Singer and producer Romanthony, best known for providing vocals for Daft Punk's "One More Time," died earlier this month at the age of 45. - Spin
The latest music videos
Queens of the Stone Age, "Kalopsia":
Queens of the Stone Age, "Keep Your Eyes Peeled":
Queens of the Stone Age, "If I Had a Tail":
Queens of the Stone Age, "My God Is the Sun":
Liars, "I Saw You From the Lifeboat":
Mikal Cronin, "Change":
!!!, "One Girl/One Boy":
Chelsea Light Moving, "Lip":
Melody's Echo Chamber, "Some Time Alone, Alone":
Holy Ghost!, "Dumb Disco Ideas":
The-Dream, "IV Play":
The Lonely Island, "Diaper Money":
In the studio / coming soon
- It's official: Kanye West has titled his next album Yeezus, and it looks like it will be out on June 18th. There's no official tracklist yet, but Daft Punk, Frank Ocean, and Azealia Banks are among the collaborators known to have recorded with West for the album. Kanye debuted two new songs, "Black Skinhead" and "New Slaves", on Saturday Night Live over the weekend; the latter was also projected onto various buildings around the world. - Rap Up
- Franz Ferdinand have finished their fourth album, Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action, which will be released by Domino on August 27. Here's a trailer.
- It has taken an unusually long eight months, but Ty Segall will finally release his first album of 2013 on August 20th. Watch a trailer for the upcoming album, Sleeper, at YouTube.
- Julianna Barwick has titled her next album Nepenthe; watch the trailer for that August 20 release (via Dead Oceans) at YouTube.
- After a four-year break, Fuck Buttons will finally return with a new album, Slow Focus, on July 23rd. Their first self-produced album will be released by ATP Recordings.
- San Francisco's Dodos will release their fifth album Carrier on August 27 via Polyvinyl. Here's the album announcement trailer.
- Manic Street Preachers are hoping to record two new albums, the first almost entirely acoustic. - NME
- My Morning Jacket are planning to head to the recording studio in October to record their next album. - Rolling Stone
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Now you'll know what it's supposed to sound like. Beck will perform his Song Reader album (released only as sheet music) for the first time in a one-off performance in London this July that will include Franz Ferdinand, Jarvis Cocker, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Beth Orton, and more special guests. - NME
- Find dates for Local Natives' 2013 world tour at Consequence of Sound.
- James Blake is returning to North America this fall. - CoS
- CoS also has new dates for Iron & Wine.
- Phosphorescent has scheduled some new dates for summer and fall. - Dead Oceans
- Backstreet Boys launch a summer tour this August. - Billboard
- Peter Hook is at it again, this time enlisting his New Order cover band The Light to perform the album Power, Corruption & Lies in full. - CoS
- It's never too early to buy tickets to next year's Coachella festival.