This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, May 6 unless otherwise indicated.
Sheezus LISTEN (iTunes)
After taking a multi-year break from music to start a family, a record label, and a Twitter feud (with Azealia Banks), the British singer-songwriter returns with her first album since 2009's It's Not Me, It's You. All but two tracks were produced by Greg Kurstin (The Bird and the Bee), who was nominated for a Grammy for his work on Allen's previous album. Of course, some of the new songs are just pop rubbish, according to Allen herself, while critics themselves aren't super impressed. But the singer is already halfway done with recording a follow-up album.
Southsiders LISTEN (Pandora)
The Minneapolis hip-hop duo of Slug and Ant return with their eighth studio album a full three years after the release of their previous LP, The Family Sign. As on that album, live instrumentation is again present (if not as prominently) on Southsiders.
Brian Eno & Karl Hyde
Someday World LISTEN (NPR)
After previously collaborating on a 2009 track ("Beebop Hurry"), Brian Eno and Underworld's Karl Hyde have recorded their first joint LP. The pair split vocal duties and songwriting on Someday World, while Andy Mackay (Roxy Music) and Will Champion (Coldplay) are among the guest musicians. A special edition release adds four tracks to the regular edition's nine. Though critics have loved the artists' work in the past, they aren't too excited by the results of this collaboration.
Luminous LISTEN (Official site)
The English alt-rock outfit is looking for its third consecutive 80+ album with this week's release of their fourth LP. Originally set for release last September, the new album was said by the band to be "different" from past releases (specifically, more electronic), though an early listen to the album (including the soaring, Echo and the Bunnymen-esque lead single "I See You") reveals that changes are far from extreme.
I Never Learn LISTEN (NPR)
The latest from Swedish singer-songwriter Lykke Li is intended to complete a trilogy of albums that began with 2008's Youth Novels and 2011's Wounded Rhymes. Li co-produced the new album along with Greg Kurstin and Peter Björn and John's Björn Yttling.
The veteran singer-songwriter has moved to a new label (Verve) for the first time for the release of her eighth studio album, which follows four years after Laws of Illusion. Shine On is inspired by the death of her father, and finds McLachlan working once again with producer and collaborator Pierre Marchand.
Nikki Nack LISTEN (NPR)
Merrill Garbus's third, crammed-full-of-ideas album as tUnE-yArDs is even more rhythm-focused than 2011's excellent w h o k i l l, the result of spending the last year studying Haitian drumming in preparation. Critics are just as intrigued as ever.
- 2 Chainz Freebase EP
- Rodrigo Amarante Cavalo LISTEN (NY Times)
- Andrew Jackson Jihad Christmas Island
- Baths Ocean Death EP LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Bis data Panik etcetera LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- First release in 13 years from the once-defunct Scottish group compiles tracks recorded over the past decade during various attempts at re-forming
- Black Stone Cherry Magic Mountain
- Luka Bloom Head & Heart
- Boots WinterSpringSummerFall LISTEN (Buzzfeed)
- Debut mixtape from in-demand producer Jordan Asher (who was behind much of Beyoncé's most recent album) is out today
- Danny Elfman The Unknown Known OST
- Epica The Quantum Enigma
- Liam Finn The Nihilist LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Roddy Frame Seven Dials
- First solo album in eight years for the Aztec Camera frontman [Digital everywhere; CD is UK only]
- Fujiya & Miyagi Artificial Sweeteners LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Kina Grannis Elements
- Ben & Ellen Harper Childhood Home LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Collaboration between Ben Harper and his mother, Ellen
- Hunter Hayes Storyline
- Andrew Hewitt The Double OST
- Ifing Against This Weald
- Frank Ilfman Big Bad Wolves OST
- Kite Party Come On Wandering LISTEN (Spin)
- Nikki Lane All or Nothing
- Second album for the "outlaw country" singer was produced by Dan Auerbach
- Matrimony Montibello Memories
- Natalie Merchant Natalie Merchant LISTEN (NY Times)
- The former 10,000 Maniacs singer's first solo collection of original songs in 13 years.
- Morning Parade Pure Adulterated Joy
- Movement Movement EP
- Nine Black Alps Candy for the Clowns
- Oliver Wilde Red Tide Opal In The Loose End Womb LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Papercuts Life Among the Savages LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- PAWS Youth Culture Forever
- People Under the Stairs 12 Step Program
- Gruff Rhys American Interior LISTEN (YouTube)
- Solo album from Super Furry Animals frontman will be accompanied by a book, an app, and a film, all documenting a Welshman's 1792 journey to America to verify rumors of a Welsh-speaking Native American tribe [UK release: 5 May]
- Santana Corazón
- Latin music album features vocalists such as Miguel, Gloria Estefan, Pitbull, Juanes, and more
- Michael Sweet I'm Not Your Suicide
- Tech N9ne Strangeulation
- Various All My Friends: Celebrating The Songs & Voice Of Gregg Allman 2xCD+DVD/Blu-ray
- Various Bleep:10
- 10th anniversary compilation from Warp Records' Bleep store features new tracks from Oneohtrix Point Never, Autechre, Modeselektor, and more
- Various NOW 50: That's What I Call Music
- WIFE What's Between
- New project for former Altar of Plagues frontman James Kelly
- Xandria Sacrificium
- Young Magic Breathing Statues
More streaming and downloadable new music
- ALBUM The Serpent & The Sphere streaming until its 5/13 release at NPR.
- Amen Dunes
- ALBUM Love streaming until its 5/13 release at Pitchfork.
- The Antlers
- TRACK "Hotel" streaming at Spin.
- TRACK "Goddess" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Basement Jaxx
- TRACK "Unicorn" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Fade White" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "You Can't Get It Right" streaming at YouTube.
- Big K.R.I.T.
- TRACK "Mt. Olympus" downloadable from Soundcloud.
- The Black Keys
- ALBUM Turn Blue (out 5/13) streaming now at iTunes.
- Chance the Rapper
- TRACK "I Am Very Very Lonely" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "A Sky Full Of Stars" streaming at YouTube.
- Courtney Love
- TRACK "Wedding Day" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Black" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Fucked Up
- TRACK "Led By Hand" streaming at YouTube.
TRACK "Warm Change" streaming at NPR.
- Hooray for Earth
- TRACK "Keys" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Michael Jackson
- TRACK "Love Never Felt So Good" streaming at YouTube.
TRACK "Love Never Felt So Good" (alternate version feat. Justin Timberlake) streaming at YouTube.
- Kelela & Tink
- TRACK "Want It" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lil Wayne
- TRACK "Believe Me" (feat. Drake) streaming at YouTube.
- Mimicking Birds
- ALBUM EONS streaming at Stereogum.
- Nicki Minaj
- TRACK "Yasss Bish!!" (feat. Soulja Boy) streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Changing Light streaming until its 5/13 release at NPR.
- Bob Mould
- TRACK "I Don't Know You Anymore" streaming at Soundcloud.
- NYPC [fka New Young Pony Club]
- TRACKS "Sure As the Sun" and "Mercurial" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Christopher Owens
- TRACK "Stephen" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Parquet Courts
- TRACK "Black and White" streaming at YouTube.
- The Roots
- TRACK "Tomorrow" (feat. Raheem Devaughn) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Slow Lights" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Paul Simon & Edie Brickell
- TRACK "Like To Get To Know You" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM To Be Kind streaming until its 5/13 release at NPR.
- Sylvan Esso
- ALBUM Sylvan Esso streaming until its 5/13 release at NPR.
- ALBUM Ultima II Massage streaming until its 5/13 release at Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Good Kisser" streaming at YouTube.
- Sharon Van Etten
- TRACK "Every Time The Sun Comes Up" streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Future Islands (Kimmel), Ziggy Marley (Conan), Young the Giant (Meyers)
- Tuesday: Black Label Society (Meyers), Coldplay (Fallon), Foster the People (Letterman), Kid Ink feat. Travis Barker (Kimmel), Hamilton Leithauser (Conan), Ziggy Marley (Arsenio)
- Wednesday: The 1975 (Meyers), Sarah McLachlan (Fallon), The Whigs (Letterman), Pharrell Williams (Kimmel)
- Thursday: Talib Kweli (Arsenio), Rodrigo y Gabriela (Conan), Pharrell Williams (Kimmel)
- Friday: Hunter Hayes (Letterman), IAMSU! Ft. Sage The Gemini (Arsenio), tUnE-yArDs (Fallon)
- Saturday: The Black Keys (Saturday Night Live)
Recent artist and industry news
- The Past Is a Grotesque Animal, a documentary about the band Of Montreal, will screen in select cities in June before hitting VOD on June 24. Here's the trailer.
The latest music videos
The Black Keys, "Fever":
Wye Oak, "Glory":
The Head and the Heart, "Summertime":
Hercules & Love Affair feat. John Grant, "I Try To Talk To You":
Garbage feat. Brody Dalle, "Girls Talk":
Sisyphus, "Take Me" [NSFW]:
Thievery Corporation, "Depth of My Soul":
Tom Vek, "Sherman (Animals in the Jungle)":
In the studio / coming soon
- Mastodon's next album, Once More 'Round the Sun, will be out June 24th. - Pitchfork
- Goddess, the debut full-length from Banks, will be out September 9th. The newly released title track is streaming above, while iTunes has the full tracklist.
- Big K.R.I.T.'s second LP, Cadillactica, is expected to arrive this fall. - Billboard
- Though no details have been released yet, Basement Jaxx will release a new album this summer—their first in five years.
- Sleater-Kinney's Corin Tucker and R.E.M.'s Peter Buck have joined forces for a new band (possibly named super-Earth) that also features Scott McCaughey, Bill Rieflin, and possibly also Nirvana's Krist Novoselic. They made their live debut last week, and an album is apparently in the works. - Pitchfork, The Oregonian, Stereogum
- Mariah Carey's next album (no longer a "surprise" release) has been dated May 27th and titled Me. I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse. Here's her explanation.
- Lese Majesty, the second album from Shabazz Palaces, will be out July 29th on Sub Pop.
- Robert Plant has signed to Nonesuch Records, which will release his 10th solo album later this year. - Billboard
- The xx is in the process of recording album #3 in Texas. - NME
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Sara Bareilles will tour this summer. - Billboard
- Beck has extended his current tour. - Pitchfork
- Fucked Up have added summer dates in support of their upcoming album. - Matador
- The Horrors are heading to North America this fall. - Pitchfork
- Hundred Waters will tour North America this summer. - CoS
- Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull will tour together this fall. - Pollstar
- Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden have added new dates to their summer tour. - CoS
- Ought will be on the road throughout the summer. - Pitchfork
- Pixies have added some fall dates. - Pollstar
- Sleigh Bells begin their summer tour on June 7th. - Pitchfork
- Washed Out has added new June dates to his current tour. - Pitchfork