This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Monday, November 25 unless otherwise indicated.
In addition to the records listed below, many independent record stores will be selling limited edition singles and albums on November 29 for the Record Store Day Black Friday event. View a complete listing of items on sale Friday.
- Billie Joe Armstrong and Norah Jones Foreverly
- Everly Brothers covers album
- Beachwood Sparks Desert Skies
- Beyonce Life Is But a Dream 2xDVD
- Includes new Live In Atlantic City concert
- Mike Birbiglia My Girlfriend's Boyfriend
- Black Sabbath Black Sabbath: Live…Gathered in Their Masses DVD/Blu-ray
- 2013 concert
- Bonobo Late Night Tales
- Danielle Bradbery Danielle Bradbery
- A Day to Remember Common Courtesy
- Destroyer Five Spanish Songs EP LISTEN (Hype Machine)
- Dido Greatest Hits
- Sky Ferreira Night Time, My Time: B-sides, Pt. 1
- Milosh Jetlag
- Kevin Morby Harlem River
- Kele Okereke Heartbreaker EP
- Dance-y solo set for the Bloc Party frontman; vinyl 11/25, digital 12/9
- One Direction Midnight Memories
- Patten Eolian Instate EP
- A Perfect Circle A Perfect Circle Live: Featuring Stone and Echo 4CD+DVD LISTEN (CoS)
- Puscifer What Is... CD/DVD
- Out Tuesday 11/26
- Shearwater Fellow Travelers
- Barbra Streisand Back to Brooklyn CD+DVD
- Teengirl Fantasy Nun EP
- Thee Oh Sees Singles Collection Volume 3 LISTEN (CoS)
- Various Dance (RED) Save Lives, Vol. 2
- Benefit album features Katy Perry, Coldplay, Madonna, Robin Thicke, and more, and is available through iTunes
- Various Frozen OST
More streaming and downloadable new music
- British Sea Power
- ALBUM From The Sea To The Land Beyond (soundtrack; out 2 Dec) streaming at The Guardian.
- Sondre Lerche
- TRACK "Rejection #5" streaming at Spin.
- Majical Cloudz
- TRACK "Savage" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Notwist
- TRACK "Close to the Glass" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "A Rainy Day" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ScHoolboy Q
- TRACK "Man of the Year" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Britney Spears
- ALBUM Britney Jean (out 12/3) streaming at iTunes.
- Bruce Springsteen
- TRACK "High Hopes" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- TRACK "Ordinary Love" (from the Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom OST) streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Xiu Xiu
- TRACK "Stupid in the Dark" streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: AFI (Kimmel), Michael Buble (Leno), Sky Ferreira (Letterman), Juicy J (Arsenio), Mazzy Star (Fallon)
- Tuesday: Luke Bryan (Leno), Kelly Clarkson (Fallon), Linkin Park with Steve Aoki (Kimmel), Pitbull (Letterman), Trombone Shorty (Arsenio)
- Wednesday: The 1975 (Kimmel), Iggy Azalea with T.I. (Letterman), Florida Georgia Line (Fallon)
- Thursday: Christina Aguilera (Leno), Ariana Grande ft. Mac Miller (Fallon)
Recent artist and industry news
- Fifteen years after its debut, AOL's Winamp music player will be discontinued on December 20th.
- Forbes has published its annual list of the world's highest-paid musicians. Madonna finished first with $125 million earned over the past year, followed by Lady Gaga ($80 million) and Bon Jovi ($79 million).
The latest music videos
Bob Dylan, "Like a Rolling Stone":
View the new interactive video
Pharrell Williams, "Happy":
View the 24-hour music video
Arcade Fire, "Afterlife":
Franz Ferdinand, "Bullet":
Pixies, "What Goes Boom":
The Killers, "Just Another Girl":
Kings of Leon, "Beautiful War":
Kanye West, "Bound2" [NSFW]:
...or try the James Franco/Seth Rogen spoof
Busta Rhymes, "Thank You":
The Pastels, "Kicking Leaves":
Icona Pop, "Just Another Night":
Katy Perry, "Unconditionally":
Broken Bells, "Holding On for Life":
In the studio / coming soon
- On January 14, Bruce Springsteen will release High Hopes, a new album that features re-workings of older songs (with his current touring band that includes Tom Morello), as well as previously unreleased older recordings and covers. - Rolling Stone
- The Notwist have signed to Sub Pop, and that label will release the band's first album in six years, Close to the Glass, on February 25th.
- In addition to Morning Phase, due in February, Beck could release one or perhaps two more albums in 2014. - Rolling Stone
- Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra have given their next album the friendly title of Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything; it's out January 21st via Constellation. Pitchfork has details.
- Tori Amos will return with her 14th album, Unrepentant Geraldines, in the spring.
- The Hold Steady are asking fans to crowdfund an upcoming covers EP. The band will also release a new studio album next year.
- The next (still untitled) Liars album will be out in March.
- Xiu Xiu will release a new studio album, Angel Guts: Red Classroom, on February 4.
- Record label Polyvinyl is launching a 7-inch singles series in 2014 that features artists such as John Vanderslice, Mikal Cronin, and Cloud Nothings recording to 4-track.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Next year's Electric Daisy Carnival Las Vegas will be held June 20-22, 2014.
- Phantogram, Wye Oak, Gary Numan, and Black Lips are among the acts just added to spring's SXSW festival.
- Franz Ferdinand have a few West Coast dates set for April. - Pollstar
- Glasvegas head to North America in February. - Pollstar
- HAIM will tour the U.S. in the spring. - Billboard
- OutKast will reunite for performances at next spring's Coachella festival, with additional festival appearances in 2014 possible. (Don't expect a new album, however).
- Young the Giant will be on the road from February through April. - Pollstar