This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, November 6 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
Music from Another Dimension LISTEN
- After years of false starts and a near-dissolution in 2009, Aerosmith return this week with their first album of new songs in over a decade (their 2004 release was a covers album). Music From Another Dimension, the band's 15th album, includes material recently recorded with producer Jack Douglas, who previously worked with the band on many of their 1970s classics. (Tracks recorded several years ago with Brendan O'Brien did not make the final cut.) The new album's first single, "Legendary Child," failed to make much of an impression when it was released earlier this year, and the album as a whole has divided the handful of critics who have reviewed it so far. Johnny Depp and Carrie Underwood guest.
- All That Remains A War You Cannot Win LISTEN
- Angelo Badalamenti A Late Quartet OST
- Blue Oyster Cult The Complete Columbia Albums Collection 16xCD+DVD
- Perry Como Complete RCA Christmas Collection 3xCD
- Creedence Clearwater Revival Ultimate Creedence Clearwater Revival: Greatest Hits & All-Time Classics 3xCD
- Includes two discs of the band's best studio tracks, and a third containing live performances from the early 1970s
- Dirty Projectors About to Die EP
- Includes the title track and three brand new songs
- Mike Doughty The Flip Is Another Honey LISTEN
- Covers album
- E-40 and Too $hort History: Function Music
E-40 and Too $hort History: Mob Music
- Two collaborative albums (sold separately on CD or together digitally)
- El Ten Eleven Transitions
- Emeralds Just to Feel Anything
- Fall on Your Sword 28 Hotel Rooms OST
- B. Fleischmann I'm Not Ready For the Grave Yet LISTEN
- Friendly Fires LateNightTales
- Glee Cast Glee: The Music Presents Glease
- Graveyard Lights Out LISTEN (3voor12)
- HIM XX-Two Decades of Love Metal
- Career-spanning retrospective includes one new track
- Isis Temporal 2xCD+DVD
- Collection of demos, rarities, and remixes; also includes a DVD of music videos
- Ital Dream On LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Jethro Tull Thick As A Brick CD+DVD
- Remastered reissue for 40th anniversary remaster includes a new 5.1 surround mix on DVD and other extras
- Lindstrøm Smalhans LISTEN
- London Philharmonic Orchestra The Greatest Video Game Music Vol. 2
- Megadeth Countdown to Extinction 2xCD
- 20th anniversary reissue adds a concert album
- Kylie Minogue The Abbey Road Sessions
- New recordings of songs from throughout the singer's career
- Mouse on Mars WOW EP
- Thomas Newman Skyfall OST
- Ne-Yo R.E.D.
- NON Back to Mono LISTEN
- New album from noise rock trailblazer Boyd Rice includes new material as well as previously unreleased tracks dating back to the 1970s
- Prince Rama Top Ten Hits of the End of the World
- Public Enemy The Evil Empire Of Everything
Public Enemy Most Of My Heroes Still Don't Appear On No Stamp
- Two new albums (sold separately) from hip-hop pioneers
- Queen Hungarian Rhapsody: Queen Live in Budapest DVD/Blu-ray
- 1986 concert film from Freddie Mercury's final tour; also available in a deluxe version that includes audio from the concert on 2 CDs
- The Rolling Stones Charlie Is My Darling - Ireland 1965 DVD/Blu-ray
- First release of band's debut concert film; also available in a 5-disc super deluxe box set version that adds additional footage, two concert albums on CD, and more
- Saigon The Greatest Story Never Told Chapter 2: Bread and Circuses LISTEN
- Slingshot Dakota Dark Hearts
- Andy Stott Luxury Problems
- Teen Daze The Inner Mansions LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Various Cloud Atlas OST
- CD release
- Various Now 44: That's What I Call Music LISTEN
- Various Now Disney: That's What I Call Disney LISTEN
- Various On the Road OST
- Vitalic Rave Age LISTEN (3voor12)
- Dionne Warwick Now
- The Wedding Present Live 1991 2xCD
- The Who Live at Hull 1970 2xCD
- John Williams Lincoln OST
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Atoms for Peace
- TRACK "What the Eyeballs Did" (radio rip) streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "The Equestrian Vortex" streaming at YouTube.
- Charli XCX
- TRACK "Cloud Aura" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Running From the Sun (unreleased material from Kill for Love sessions) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Every Year So Different" (new holiday single) streaming at The Quietus.
- Crystal Castles
- TRACK "Affection" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Brian Eno
- ALBUM LUX (out 11/13) streaming now at Spin.
- Esben and the Witch
- TRACK "Deathwaltz" streaming at YouTube.
- Holly Herndon
- ALBUM Movement streaming this week at NPR.
- School of Seven Bells
- TRACK "Secret Days" downloadable from Stereogum.
- TRACK "Non-State Actor" streaming at YouTube.
- Jozef Van Wissem & Jim Jarmusch
- ALBUM The Mystery Of Heaven streaming this week at NPR.
- Jack White
- TRACK "Blues on Two Trees" (new B-side) streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Ben Folds Five (Kimmel), Father John Misty (Conan), Kip Moore (Leno), RNDM (Fallon), Ty Segall (Letterman), The Stepkids (Carson Daly), Tenacious D (Craig Ferguson)
- Tuesday: (none)
- Wednesday: Cat Power (Conan), Diamond Rings (Leno), Ne-Yo (Letterman), Now Now (Fallon), Shiny Toy Guns (Carson Daly)
- Thursday: Tyler Bryant & the Shakedown (Kimmel), Brandi Carlile (Conan), Grimes (Carson Daly), Lianne La Havas (Letterman), Lord Huron (Leno), Carrie Underwood (Fallon)
- Friday: Boys Like Girls (Kimmel), Divine Fits (Letterman), Christina Perri (Leno), White Arrows (Carson Daly)
- Saturday: Rihanna (Saturday Night Live)
Recent artist and industry news
- Newcomers Alt-J won this year's Mercury Prize—handed out to the top album in the UK each year—for their debut An Awesome Wave 72. It marks the third time in four years that a debut album has captured the award (with the exception being last year's win by PJ Harvey for Let England Shake).
The latest music videos
The Antlers, "Drift Drive":
Benjamin Gibbard, "Teardrop Windows" [dir. by Tom Scharpling]:
Snoop Lion, "La La La" [dir. by Eli Roth]:
Das Racist, "Girl":
Mumford & Sons, "Lover of the Light" [starring Idris Elba]:
Andrew Bird, "Three White Horses":
Sky Ferreira, "Sad Dream":
Green Day, "The Forgotten":
FIDLAR, "Cheap Beer":
In the studio / coming soon
- An unconfirmed report on a Radiohead fan site over the weekend suggest that the debut album from Thom Yorke's new project Atoms for Peace (which also features Flea and members of Ultraísta) will be called Amok and released on January 28, 2013.
- Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon, Red House Painters) has two solo releases on tap for February 19. One's a covers album, the other a live set. - Exclaim!
- Recorded prior to the death of lead singer Trish Keenan in 2011, Broadcast's soundtrack to Berberian Sound Studio will get a release on January 8, 2013. - Pitchfork
- Sleigh Bells are already three tracks into recording a quick follow-up to sophomore album Reign of Terror; their new "clean"-sounding and "surprising" third album will arrive in 2013. - HuffPo
- Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant will provide vocals on several tracks on next year's new David Holmes-produced Primal Scream album, reports Mojo (via NME).
- Recorded in 2001, a live Unwound album titled Live Leaves arrives on December 11th. - Pitchfork
- Former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr will release a solo album, The Messenger, in February. - Spin
- There's a new release date for Big Boi's Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors: December 11.
- Expect the entire Led Zeppelin catalog to be reissued in 2013; Jimmy Page is remastering the albums, and each one will get a separate box set release with artwork by Shepard Fairey and extra tracks (think alternate versions of each song). - Spin
- Country star Tim McGraw returns with Two Lanes of Freedom on February 5, 2013.
- Warp Records will release a new Darkstar album, News From Nowhere, on February 5th.
- M.I.A.'s next album, Matangi, has now been delayed beyond its original December release date. - Spin
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The xx have scheduled new U.S. dates for early 2013. - Pitchfork
- Hot Water Music will kick off their first tour in eight years on January 16 in their home state of Florida. - CoS
- Find January dates for Shabazz Palaces at CoS.
- The 2013 Electric Daisy Carnival will be held June 21-23 in Las Vegas. - Pollstar