This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, October 15 unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Anberlin Devotion
- The Avett Brothers Magpie and the Dandelion
- Produced by Rick Rubin
- Diane Birch Speak a Little Louder
- Black Milk No Poison, No Paradise LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Mary J. Blige A Mary Christmas
- The Body Christs, Redeemers
- Boldy James My 1st Chemistry Set LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- Produced by The Alchemist
- Harold Budd Perhaps
- Carter Burwell The Fifth Estate OST
- CAVE Threace
- Eric Clapton Unplugged 2xCD+DVD
- Remastered and expanded reissue adds some tracks not on the original plus a DVD of the MTV broadcast with extra rehearsal footage
- Erin Corday Where the Body Is
- Crystal Antlers Nothing Is Real LISTEN (NY Times)
- Cults Static
- Darkstar 01484 EP
- Death Angel The Dream Calls for Blood
- Gavin DeGraw Make a Move
- Devin the Dude One for the Road
- The Dismemberment Plan
Uncanney Valley LISTEN (3voor12)
- Last heard on record on 2001's Change 83, the once-defunct Washington D.C. indie rockers reunited for a triumphant 2011 reunion tour, and it was jam sessions during rehearsals for those shows that eventually led to an unexpected trip to the studio; the result is this week's new LP release Uncanney Valley (yes, that's how it's spelled). Early reviews, however, are mixed.
- Mike Donovan Wot
- Doomriders Grand Blood
- Four Tet
- Four Tet's prolific Kieran Hebden has been relatively quiet since releasing his terrific 2010 album There Is Love In You 82, though he has issued a series of singles (compiled on 2012's Pink 79) as well as a free compilation of early non-album tracks called 0181 (available here). This week, however, brings a proper studio album, Beautiful Rewind, which critics are mostly praising, even if it is more disjointed and experimental than past efforts.
- Grails Black Tar Prophecies Vol's 4, 5 & 6 LISTEN (Spin)
- Collects three recent EP releases
- Happy Jawbone Family Band Happy Jawbone Family Band
- The Head and The Heart Let's Be Still LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Heavenly Beat Prominence LISTEN (EW)
- Tim Hecker Virgins LISTEN (3voor12)
- Klute The Draft
- Kwes ilp. LISTEN (3voor12)
- La Luz It's Alive
- Lucius Wildewoman
- Paul McCartney
- The title track and lead single from the former Beatle's first rock album since 2007's Memory Almost Full 69 finds the 71-year-old McCartney in, well Beatles-esque form. Couple that with an interesting lineup of producers—including Mark Ronson, Ethan Johns, and Paul Epworth—and New could give The Next Day some competition for best album by a senior citizen this year.
- Cass McCombs Big Wheel and Others 2xCD
- Scotty McCreery See You Tonight
- The Men Campfire Songs EP
- Five song acoustic set
- Wymond Miles Cut Yourself Free LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Solo album from the Fresh & Onlys member
- Monster Magnet Last Patrol
- Morcheeba Head Up High
- Willie Nelson To All The Girls...
- Gary Numan Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) LISTEN (Noisey)
- Pearl Jam
Lightning Bolt LISTEN (iTunes)
- After taking a bit of a recording break to celebrate their 20th anniversary as a band, Pearl Jam return this week with their 10th studio album and first since 2009's Backspacer 79. Brendan O'Brien, who produced that previous album as well as much of their 1990s output, returns as producer, though reviewers are less enthusiastic about the new material.
- Pelican Forever Becoming
- Red Fang Whales And Leeches
- School of Night School of Night EP
- Solo project for Darby Cicci of The Antlers
- Swans Not Here/Not Now 2xCD
- Live album recorded during recent world tour is available in various limited editions for purchase online; proceeds will help fund recording of next Swans studio album
- Luke Temple Good Mood Fool LISTEN (Hype Machine)
- Tindersticks Across Six Leap Years LISTEN (The Quietus)
- New recordings of 10 songs from throughout the band's history [CD is UK only; available digitally in the U.S.]
- TLC 20
- Greatest hits collection includes one new song ("Meant to Be")
- Toad the Wet Sprocket New Constellation
- Trivium Vengeance Falls
- Various Carrie  OST
- Dean Wareham Emancipated Hearts LISTEN (Spin)
- Solo mini-album for the former Luna/Galaxie 500 frontman
- We Are Scientists Business Casual EP
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Best Coast
- ALBUM Fade Away EP (out next week) streaming at KCRW.
- David Bowie
- TRACK "Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix By James Murphy For The DFA)" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Brandy Clark
- ALBUM 12 Stories streaming until its 10/22 release at NPR.
- Cut Copy
- TRACK "Free Your Mind (Spiritualized version)" streaming at The Guardian.
- Duck Sauce
- TRACK "Radio Stereo" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Ex Hex [new Mary Timony band]
- TRACK "Hot and Cold" streaming at Bandcamp.
- James Ferraro
- ALBUM NYC, HELL 3:00 AM streaming through 10/21 at Pitchfork.
- Lady Gaga
- TRACK "Aura" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Los Campesinos!
- TRACK "Avocado, Baby" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Bikini Daze streaming through 10/21 at Pitchfork.
- Parquet Courts
- TRACK "You Got Me Wonderin' Now" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- A Perfect Circle
- TRACK "By and Down" streaming at Spin.
- ALBUM Shulamith streaming until its 10/22 release at NPR.
- Screaming Females
- TRACK "Ancient Civilization" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Omar Souleyman
- ALBUM Wenu Wenu (produced by Four Tet) streaming until its 10/22 release at NPR.
- Star Slinger
- TRACK "Free" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM and that's your time EP (out now) streaming at Bandcamp.
- TRACK "Meant to Be" streaming at YouTube.
- Kurt Vile and Sore Eros
- TRACK "Serum" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Matthew E. White
- ALBUM Outer Face EP (out next week) streaming at Rolling Stone.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Ron Isley feat. KEM (Arsenio), Ben Rector (Kimmel)
- Tuesday: Deltron 3030 (Letterman), Ariana Grande (Kimmel), Nelly (Arsenio), Jake Owen (Conan)
- Wednesday: Tamar Braxton (Arsenio), Fitz & The Tantrums (Conan), Michael Franti (Kimmel), The Head & The Heart (Letterman)
- Thursday: Selena Gomez (Letterman), Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby (Conan), Sleigh Bells (Kimmel)
- Friday: White Denim (Letterman)
- Saturday: The Lumineers and Shovels & Rope (Austin City Limits)
Recent artist and industry news
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are contending for six American Music Awards, tops among all nominees. Billboard has a full list of this year's nominations; winners will be announced on November 24th.
The latest music videos
Cut Copy, "Free Your Mind" [starring Alexander Skarsgård]:
Tyler, the Creator, "Tamale":
Janelle Monáe feat. Miguel, "PrimeTime":
Prince, "Breakfast Can Wait":
Camera Obscura, "Troublemaker":
Albert Hammond Jr., "St. Justice':
Of Montreal, "Fugitive Air":
William Shatner, "Ponder the Mystery":
CFCF, "Beyond Light":
James Blake feat. Chance The Rapper, "Life Round Here":
The Blow, "From the Future":
In the studio / coming soon
- Broken Bells, the duo of James Mercer (The Shins) and Danger Mouse, have announced a January release for their second album, After the Disco.
- Donald Glover announced that his next Childish Gambino album, Because the Internet, will arrive this winter.
- Damon Albarn is recording an album in Mali with local musicians, plus Brian Eno, actor Idris Elba, Nick Zinner, and more. - The Guardian
- Billboard reports that Death Cab for Cutie have been in the studio recording a follow-up to 2011's Codes and Keys.
- Delayed due to illness, the next Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings album, Give the People What They Want, now has a January 14, 2014 release date.
- RZA has been recording an album with Interpol frontman Paul Banks. - Rolling Stone
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.