This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, October 9 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- All Time Low Don't Panic LISTEN
- The Beach Boys Fifty Big Ones: Greatest Hits 2xCD
- Newly compiled greatest hits collection includes two songs from the recent album That's Why God Made The Radio
- The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour DVD/Blu-ray
- Newly restored version of 1967 film
- Between the Buried and Me The Parallax II: Future Sequence
- The Birthday Massacre Hide And Seek
- Black Marble A Different Arrangement
- Blut Aus Nord 777
- John Cale Shifty Adventures in Nookie Wood
- Chrome Canyon Elemental Themes
- Coheed & Cambria The Afterman: Ascension LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- First of two connected releases; the follow-up, The Afterman: Descension, arrives in February 2013
- Converge All We Love We Leave Behind LISTEN (YouTube)
- Alexandre Desplat Argo OST LISTEN
- Destiny's Child Playlist
- New remastered greatest hits collection
- Django Django Django Django
- US release
- Electric Six Absolute Pleasure
- Live album
- ELO Mr Blue Sky: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra
- Enslaved Riitiir
- Dana Falconberry Leelanau
- Freelance Whales Diluvia LISTEN
- Robert Glasper Experiment Black Radio Recovered: The Remix EP LISTEN
- Holly Golightly and The Brokeoffs Sunday Run Me Over
- Ellie Goulding Halcyon
- Horrid Red Nightly Wreaths
- Hounds Below You Light Me Up In the Dark
- Wanda Jackson Unfinished Business
- Jay-Z Live in Brooklyn EP
- Kaki King Glow
- KISS Monster
- Kenny Lattimore Back 2 Cool
- LCD Soundsystem Shut Up and Play the Hits DVD/Blu-ray
- Includes the documentary movie as well as two bonus discs with the band's 3.5-hour final concert performance in its entirety
- Lord Huron Lonesome Dreams LISTEN
- Jeff Lynne Long Wave
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis The Heist
- MellowHype Numbers
- METZ METZ LISTEN
- MGK Lace Up
- AC Newman Shut Down the Streets LISTEN (Matador)
- Old 97's Too Far to Care 2xCD
- Reissue of 1997 album includes bonus disc with demos and three previously unreleased tracks
- Orbital Pusher OST LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- UK only (8 Oct)
- The Script #3 LISTEN
- Ty Segall Twins
- Mindy Smith The Essential Mindy Smith
- Rick Springfield Songs for the End of the World
- Barbra Streisand Release Me
- Eleven previously unreleased tracks recorded from 1963-present
- Tame Impala
Lonerism LISTEN (3voor12)
- Tame Impala's debut Innerspeaker was one of 2010's most pleasant surprises, its swirling, reimagined '60s psychedelia filled with sticky hooks. Now, the Perth, Australia band returns with a second LP, Lonerism. Early leaked tracks "Elephant" and "Apocalypse Dreams" suggest that while Tame Impala hasn't quite left 1969 behind, a poppier, more synth-based approach is in store. As on the debut, Dave Fridmann (Mercury Rev) handles the mixing, which is usually a good thing.
- Trash Talk 119
- Various Gabba Gabba! Music Is Awesome!: Four
- Music from the television series Yo Gabba Gabba! by artists including The Roots, Belle & Sebastian, Cut Copy, Biz Markie, Metric, and Peter, Bjorn & John
- The Wallflowers Glad All Over
- The Who Live in Texas 75 DVD
- Xiu Xiu The Air Force
- Remastered reissue of out-of-print 2006 album
- Xzibit Napalm
More streaming and downloadable new music
- TRACK "Skyfall" (new 007 theme) streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- TRACK "Runaway Bass" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Big Boi
- TRACK "Mama Told Me" (feat. Kelly Rowland) downloadable from BPM.
- Black Moth Super Rainbow
- TRACK "Gangs in the Garden" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Everything Burns" downloadable from Matador.
- Gary Clark Jr.
- TRACK "Numb" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- TRACK "Timeaway" downloadable from the band's official site.
- Dan Deacon
- TRACK "Crash Jam" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Mac DeMarco
- TRACK "Ode to Viceroy" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Benjamin Gibbard
- TRACK "Something's Rattling (Cowpoke)" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor
- ALBUM 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! (out next week) streaming at The Guardian.
- Jason Lytle
- ALBUM Dept. of Disappearance streaming until its 10/16 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Grill" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Memory Tapes
- TRACK "Sheila" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Of Montreal
- TRACK "Feminine Effects" downloadable from Rolling Stone.
- Old 97's
- TRACK "Holy Cross" (previously unreleased) streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- TRACK "Love of Your Life" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
TRACK "Never Is A Long Time" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- TRACK "Terminal" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Sufjan Stevens
- TRACK "Christmas Unicorn" downloadable from Sufjan.com
- The Sword
- TRACK "Apocryphon" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Times New Viking
- TRACK "Sleep-In" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Stone Letter" streaming at Spin.
- Trash Talk
- TRACK "Exile on Broadway" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM REWORK_Philip Glass Remixed streaming until its 10/16 release at NPR.
- Martha Wainwright
- ALBUM Come Home To Mama streaming until its 10/16 release at NPR.
- The Walkmen
- TRACKS "Dance With Your Partner" and "Vermeer '65" (from an upcoming new single) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Win Win
- ALBUM Double Vision (out next week) streaming now at Rolling Stone.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Ben Howard (Kimmel), Lianne La Havas (Carson Daly), The Hives (Carson Daly), Sun Kil Moon (Fallon), Pete Townshend (The Daily Show), The Wallflowers (Leno)
- Tuesday: Father John Misty (Kimmel), Milo Greene (Carson Daly), Jens Lekman (Fallon), Morrissey (The Colbert Report), Plain White T's (Leno)
- Wednesday: FIDLAR (Carson Daly), Ellie Goulding (Fallon), LP (Letterman), Dwight Yoakam (Kimmel)
- Thursday: Jackson Browne (Fallon), Grizzly Bear (Leno), Kimbra (Carson Daly), The Raveonettes (Letterman)
- Friday: Ben Gibbard (Fallon), The Script (Leno), The Wallflowers (Letterman)
- Saturday: Bon Iver (Austin City Limits), Passion Pit (Saturday Night Live)
- Sunday: Gym Class Heroes (VH1's Behind the Music)
Recent artist and industry news
- Nominees for induction next year into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame include Kraftwerk, NWA, Public Enemy, Rush, Donna Summer, Randy Newman, Chic, Heart, and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Voting takes place later this fall, with the induction ceremony honoring the winners to take place in Los Angeles on April 18, 2013. - Billboard
- Illegally download a song, go to jail? It could happen ... if you live in Japan. - BBC
- Foo Fighters are not breaking up, but they are going on hiatus. - Rolling Stone
- Radiohead was the featured artist on last week's Austin City Limits, and PBS is now streaming the full episode online.
The latest music videos
Solange Knowles, "Losing You":
The Weeknd, "Rolling Stone":
Nas feat. Amy Winehouse, "Cherry Wine":
Divine Fits, "Would That Not Be Nice":
Coldplay, "Hurts Like Heaven":
Killer Mike, "Reagan":
Miguel, "Do You...":
Maximo Park, "The Undercurrents":
Bloc Party, "Kettling":
Perfume Genius, "Take Me Home":
In the studio / coming soon
- Good news for fans of once-defunct indie rockers Dismemberment Plan: they are nearing completion of a new album, which will be their first since 2001. - Exclaim!
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor have also ended a decade-long recording hiatus; next week, they will release a new LP entitled 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!. Get the details at the website of label Constellation, or stream the album now at The Guardian.
- Also reuniting—sort of—are The Replacements. The band's Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson have recorded a new EP of cover songs, which will be given a very limited edition pressing, with proceeds aiding former Replacements guitarist Slim Dunlap, who is recovering from a stroke. Further recording sessions are "possible," which is better than "impossible." - Rolling Stone
- Mystical Weapons is a new duo consisting of Sean Lennon and Deerhoof's Greg Saunier; expect their self-titled debut LP on January 15, 2013. - Stereogum
- A new Memory Tapes album, titled Grace/Confusion, will be out December 4th. - Pitchfork
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Get fall dates for Titus Andronicus (joined by opening act Ceremony) at Pitchfork.
- Pitchfork also has fall dates for Death Grips.
- Get the newly revised fall schedule for Band of Horses at Consequence of Sound.
- Marina And The Diamonds return to North America in December. - Pollstar
- Find autumn dates for Cadence Weapon at BPM.
- Pollstar has December dates for Dave Matthews Band.
- Everclear and Eve 6 will tour together this fall. - Pollstar
- Phish will once again play a series of New Year's Eve shows at New York's Madison Square Garden; get ticket info at the official site.
- John Legend has delayed his fall tour in order to spend more time in the studio. - Billboard
- The Vaccines are heading to North America in the new year; get the schedule at CoS.