This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, September 25 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- As I Lay Dying Awakened LISTEN
- The Bad Plus Made Possible LISTEN
- Joe Bonamassa Beacon Theatre: Live From New York
- Sera Cahoone Deer Creek Canyon LISTEN
- Caspian Waking Season LISTEN (Spin)
- The Casualties Resistance
- Chris Cohen Overgrown Path
- Jason Collett Reckon LISTEN (Disc 1) LISTEN (Disc 2)
- New solo album for the Broken Social Scene member includes bonus disc, Essential Cuts, which includes previously released tracks (and two never-before-released cuts) from throughout his career
- Jesse Cook The Blue Guitar Sessions LISTEN
- Crime & The City Solution An Introduction To Crime & The City Solution LISTEN
- Remastered tracks originally released from 1987-91
- deadmau5 > Album Title Goes Here <
- Yes, that is the album title
- DJ Shadow Reconstructed: The Best Of DJ Shadow
- Greatest hits album includes two new tracks, including "Listen" (featuring vocals by Terry Reid)
- Dokken Broken Bones
- Dragonette Body Parts LISTEN
- Dum Dum Girls End of Daze EP LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Efterklang Piramida LISTEN (3voor12)
- Emerson Lake & Palmer Emerson Lake & Palmer 2xCD+DVD
- Deluxe reissue includes remastered original 1970 album on CD and DVD 5.1, plus an alternate stereo mix
- Emerson Lake & Palmer Tarkus 2xCD+DVD
- Deluxe reissue includes remastered original 1971 album on CD and DVD 5.1, plus an alternate stereo mix
- Frightened Rabbit State Hospital EP LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- John Frusciante PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone
- Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders Keystone Companions: The Complete 1973 Fantasy Recordings 4xCD
- First release of 1973 concerts in their entirety
- Gatekeeper Exo
- Green Day
- Talk about making up for lost time. After going three years without delivering a new studio album, Green Day are set to release three of them over the next four months. The first, ¡Uno!, arrives this week, followed by ¡Dos! on November 13th and concluding with ¡Tré! on January 15th. (The band will be on the road for much of that time as well.) Rob Cavallo serves as producer for the trilogy, and you can expect a slightly more stripped down, power-pop sound on the first album, which is preceded by singles "Oh Love" and "Kill the DJ", the latter sounding like it was ripped from a Franz Ferdinand album. November's ¡Dos!, meanwhile, is rumored to be more garage-y. Early reviews for ¡Uno! are mixed-to-good, with critics appreciating the album's energy.
- Steve Harris British Lion
- Solo debut for Iron Maiden founder
- John Hiatt Mystic Pinball
- Waylon Jennings Goin Down Rockin: The Last Recordings
- A dozen tracks recorded shortly before his death in 2002
- Lucy Kaplansky Reunion
- Lavender Diamond Incorruptible Heart
- Bettye LaVette Thankful N' Thoughtful LISTEN (3voor12)
- Covers of songs by the Black Keys, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, kd lang, and more
- Levek Look A Little Closer LISTEN
- Lightning Bolt Oblivion Hunter
- Rarities collection
- Lupe Fiasco
Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 1
- His most recent release (Lasers 57) a critical fiasco, rapper Lupe Fiasco hopes to return to critics' good graces with a sequel to his Grammy-nominated debut, 2006's Food & Liquor 83. The new Food & Liquor 2—which, as the "Part 1" in the title suggests, is the first half of a planned double album—includes recent singles "Around My Way (Freedom Ain"t Free)", "Bitch Bad", and "Battle Scars", the latter featuring Australian Idol winner Guy Sebastian. (And, yes, that's really the album cover.)
- Rachael MacFarlane Hayley Sings
- Medeski Martin & Wood Free Magic
- Melody's Echo Chamber Melody's Echo Chamber
- Metronomy LateNightTales
- Jason Molina Autumn Bird Songs EP
- First new recordings from former Songs:Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co. leader in three years
- Gary Moore Blues for Jimi: Live in London
- Mumford & Sons
- The London folk outfit's 2009/2010 debut Sigh No More 68 (2010) ultimately earned the young band six Grammy nominations and an Album of the Year win at the BRIT Awards, while selling over 2 million units in the U.S. alone. So the stakes are high for Mumford & Sons' sophomore set, Babel. They seem to be taking a safe approach, working with the same producer (Markus Dravs) and retaining the same sound heard on their hit debut, with the new LP including many songs the band has been performing live for several years. Early reviews are decent but not great, though the same was true of the previous album.
- Murder by Death Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon LISTEN
- Murs & Fashawn This Generation
- No Doubt
Push and Shove
- After a decade-long recording hiatus and over a year of new recording sessions, the Southern California ska-punk band fronted by Gwen Stefani are finally ready to release their sixth studio album. As he did for much of Rock Steady 69, Mark "Spike" Stent serves as producer for most of the tracks on Push and Shove, including lead single "Settle Down", though at least one Diplo-produced track ("Push and Shove") is included in the final tracklist.
- The Oak Ridge Boys Christmas Time's A-Coming
- Yoko Ono, Kim Gordon, and Thurston Moore YOKOKIMTHURSTON
- R.E.M. Document 2xCD
- Remastered rerelease of 1987 album with new liner notes and a bonus disc containing a previously unreleased concert performance from the band's 1987 world tour
- Lee Ritenour Rhythm Sessions
- Richie Sambora Aftermath of the Lowdown
- Savages I Am Here EP
- Four-song live EP available digitally Sep. 30 and on vinyl Oct. 8
- Pete Seeger A More Perfect Union
- 14 new tracks from the 93-year-old folk legend; guests include Bruce Springsteen, Steve Earle, Tom Morello, Emmylou Harris, and Dar Williams
- Sex Pistols Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols 3xCD+DVD
- 35th anniversary box set (released in the UK only) includes the original album, a disc of B-sides and demos, and a disc of live recordings from 1977; there's also a book and a DVD with concert footage and interviews [24 Sep]
- The Soft Pack Strapped
- Angie Stone Rich Girl
- John Tejada The Predicting Machine
- Unnatural Helpers Land Grab LISTEN (Spin)
- Various Frankenweenie OST
- Various Re-Machined: A Tribute to Machine Head
- Deep Purple tribute album featuring covers by Metallica, Flaming Lips and more
- Various This Is BBC Radio 6 Music Live 2xCD
- The radio station's first-ever CD compilation includes tracks recorded live in their studios over the past decade by artists including Arcade Fire, Amy Winehouse, The Shins, Florence + The Machine, Thom Yorke, MGMT, The National, Spiritualized, Beck, and more [UK only: 24 Sep]
- Ricardo Villalobos Dependent And Happy
- Witchcraft Legend
- Samuel Yirga Guzo
- Yo La Tengo Stupid Things EP
More streaming and downloadable new music
- Action Bronson
- TRACK "It's Me" downloadable from Consequence of Sound.
- Tori Amos
- TRACKS "Silent All These Years" and "Gold Dust" (new orchestral versions) streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Bat for Lashes
- TRACK "All Your Gold" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Andrew Bird
- TRACK "Three White Horses" streaming at Pitchfork.
- Crime and The City Solution
- TRACK "I Have The Gun" downloadable from Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Leathers" downloadable from Consequence of Sound.
- TRACK "About That Life" downloadable from Soundcloud.
- TRACK "10 Years" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Missy Elliott
- TRACK "9th Inning" (feat. Timbaland) streaming at YouTube (audio only).
TRACK "Triple Threat" (feat. Timbaland) streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Flying Lotus
- ALBUM Until the Quiet Comes streaming until its 10/2 release at NPR.
- TRACK "When the Fire Hits the Forest" streaming at Spin.
- TRACK "Monkey" (new B-side) streaming at Pitchfork.
- ALBUM Kaleidoscope Dream streaming at NPR.
- Jason Molina
- TRACK "Heart My Heart" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Mountain Goats
- ALBUM Transcendental Youth (out 10/2) streaming this week at Rolling Stone.
- AC Newman
- TRACK "Encyclopedia Of Classic Takedowns" (feat. Neko Case) downloadable from Matador.
- Randy Newman
- TRACK "I'm Dreaming" downloadable from Soundcloud.
- Beth Orton
- ALBUM Sugaring Season streaming until its 10/2 release at NPR.
- Amanda Palmer
- TRACK "Institutionalized" (Suicidal Tendencies cover) streaming at Stereogum.
- TRACK "His Phase" streaming at Entertainment Weekly.
- TRACK "The Good Life" (feat. Blueprint) streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Tegan and Sara
- TRACK "Closer" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Titus Andronicus
- TRACK "In a Big City" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- TRACK "Divine" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra
- TRACK "Swim and Sleep (Like A Shark)" streaming at YouTube (audio only).
- Paul Westerberg
- TRACK "My Road Now" downloadable from Stereogum.
- TRACK "Strawberries" downloadable from Stereogum.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Animal Collective (Conan), Rebecca Ferguson (Leno), Gotye (Letterman), The Killers (Kimmel)
- Tuesday: Band of Horses (Conan), Green Day (Kimmel), Bettye LaVette (Leno), Regina Spektor (Carson Daly), Two Door Cinema Club (Fallon), The Whigs (Letterman)
- Wednesday: Andrew Bird (Carson Daly), Green Day (Kimmel), Little Big Town (Fallon), Richie Sambora (Leno)
- Thursday: Tony Bennett (Kimmel), Chairlift (Carson Daly), The Chevin (Conan), The Gaslight Anthem (Leno), Lupe Fiasco (Letterman), Rumer (Live From Daryl's House, Palladia)
- Friday: Estelle (Carson Daly), Hunter Hayes (Fallon), The Piano Guys (Leno), Dwight Yoakam (Letterman)
- Sunday: Carrie Underwood (Behind the Music, VH1)
Recent artist and industry news
- Universal Music Group's acquisition of EMI has finally been approved by regulators in the US and Europe. As a condition of the merger, artists currently signed to Parlophone (such as Gorillaz and Coldplay) will be freed from their contracts, and Universal will have to spin off some smaller labels such as Chrysalis and Mute. - Pop & Hiss
The latest music videos
Green Day, "Stay the Night":
Aimee Mann, "Labrador" [starring Jon Hamm]:
Nick Lowe, "Stoplight Roses" [starring Paul F. Tompkins]:
Flying Lotus, "Putty Boy Strut":
Sex Pistols, "Holidays in the Sun":
Tame Impala, "Elephant":
Dirty Projectors, "About to Die":
Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch, "Sweet Nothing":
The Kills, "Wild Charms":
Corin Tucker Band, "Neskowin":
Jessie Ware, "Night Light":
Alt-J, "Something Good":
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, "Black Mold":
Sigur Rós, "Ekki Múkk" [starring Aiden Gillen]:
In the studio / coming soon
- Trent Reznor's How to Destroy Angels side project has a new record deal (with major Columbia). First up is a six-song digital/vinyl EP, An Omen, out November 13th, with a full-length to follow next spring. - Pitchfork
- It looks like a reunited Lemonheads—including co-founder Ben Deily (who has been out of the group for over two decades) and bassist Juliana Hatfield—will record a new album with Ryan Adams producing (and drumming). - Spin
- Pitbull will return with Global Warming on November 19. - Pop & Hiss
- The third album from Crystal Castles is now targeted for a November release.
- Ke$ha will finally release her second album (titled Warrior) on December 4th. Guests range from Iggy Pop to the Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne to Ben Folds. - Billboard
- It doesn't happen often, but a new Scott Walker album will surface before the end of the year; Bish Bosch arrives December 4th. - Pitchfork
- On November 6, Dirty Projectors will release the About to Die EP, which, in addition to the title track, features three new songs.
- Primal Scream will return with a "sophisticated" album in 2013. - NME
- Has Cee-Lo Green recorded a Christmas album with Rod Stewart, The Muppets, and Christina Aguilera? Why, yes; yes he has. CeeLo's Magic Moment is out October 30th. - Billboard
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Pink's North American tour doesn't launch until February, but HitFix has the dates.
- Nas and Lauryn Hill will hit the road together at the end of October. - Billboard
- Aerosmith will tour later this fall in support of their upcoming album. - Pollstar
- Pollstar also has fall dates for The Wallflowers.
- Get October dates for the RZA's Iron Fists tour at Consequence of Sound.
- Peter Hook has apparently moved on from performing Joy Division albums in full to performing New Order albums in full. - NME
- Swedish House Mafia's final tour will include some North American dates in February. - Consequence of Sound