This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, September 4 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Erol Alkan Another "Bugged Out" Mix & "Bugged In" Selection 2xCD
- Animal Collective
- Few artists seem to get the Pitchfork set more excited than East Coast weirdos Animal Collective, and with the group's members spending recent years pursuing their various solo endeavors, we haven't had a full-length AC release since 2009's career-best Merriweather Post Pavilion 89. This week finally brings a follow-up, Centipede Hz, which sees Collective member Deakin returning to the fold after sitting out the previous album. The new release is more experimental and less accessible than Merriweather, which so far is translating into reviews that are less enthusiastic, though still generally appreciative.
- Azure Ray As Above So Below EP LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Rattle Them Bones LISTEN
- Miguel Bose Papitwo
- Raymond Byron & The White Freighter Little Death Shaker
- Cat Power
Sun LISTEN (3voor12)
- Chan Marshall hasn't released an album of original material since 2006's The Greatest 80 (her only intervening album, 2008's Jukebox 72, was dedicated to covers), but this week brings 11 new Cat Power originals on the LP Sun. The self-produced album has been in production at various times over the last six years, with Marshall rejecting an early batch of songs and another recorded with her touring band—and dealing with bankruptcy and a breakup—before eventually re-recording nearly all of the instrumentation herself. The result is a more polished album that may not quite live up to past heights, but is nevertheless earning respectable reviews so far.
- Clark Fantasm Planes EP
- Chick Corea & Gary Burton Hot House
- Crypts Crypts LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Cult of Youth Love Will Prevail
- Deerhoof Breakup Song LISTEN
- Melissa Etheridge 4th Street Feeling LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- The Fresh & Onlys Long Slow Dance LISTEN (3voor12)
- Ian Hunter When I'm President LISTEN
- Imagine Dragons Night Visions
- Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance CD+DVD
- 30th anniversary edition includes six bonus tracks (including 4 previously unreleased live tracks) and a DVD containing the band's US Festival set
- Korn The Path Of Totality Tour: Live At The Hollywood Palladium CD+DVD/Blu-ray
- Jens Lekman I Know What Love Isn't LISTEN (The Quietus)
- Sondre Lerche Bootlegs LISTEN
- Live album
- Low The Curtain Hits The Cast
- Reissue of 1996 album adds five bonus tracks
- Matchbox Twenty North
- Mono For My Parents LISTEN (3voor12)
- Bob Mould Silver Age LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Mount Eerie Ocean Roar
- The Music Tapes Mary's Voice LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Propagandhi Failed States
- Brian Setzer Rockabilly Riot: Live From the Planet 3xCD
- The Sheepdogs The Sheepdogs LISTEN
- Smash Mouth Magic LISTEN
- Stars The North LISTEN
- Dave Stewart The Ringmaster General LISTEN
- Tanita Tikaram Can't Go Back 2xCD LISTEN
- Includes bonus disc of acoustic tracks
- Two Door Cinema Club Beacon LISTEN
- Two Gallants The Bloom And The Blight LISTEN
- The Vaccines The Vaccines Come Of Age LISTEN (3voor12)
- Various Fac Dance 02
- Factory Records compilation featuring 12" singles and rarities by ESG, Durutti Column, A Certain Ratio, and lesser-known groups like Thick Pigeon
More streaming and downloadable new music
- The Avett Brothers
- ALBUM The Carpenter streaming until its 9/11 release at NPR.
- TRACKS "The Silent" and "New You" downloadable from Soundcloud.
- David Byrne & St. Vincent
- ALBUM Love This Giant streaming until its 9/11 release at NPR.
- Jason Collett
- TRACK "Where Things Go Wrong" downloadable from Rolling Stone.
- Benjamin Gibbard
- TRACK "Teardrop Windows" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Calvin Harris
- TRACK "Sweet Nothing," with vocals from Florence Welch, streaming at NME.
- The Helio Sequence
- TRACK "The Measure" downloadable from KCRW.
- Pet Shop Boys
- ALBUM Elysium streaming until 9/10 at The Guardian.
TRACK "Leaving" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- RNDM [Joseph Arthur + Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament]
- TRACK "Modern Times" streaming at Rolling Stone.
- TRACK "Jonathan's Hope" streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Tuesday: The Robert Cray Band (Leno), Imagine Dragons (Kimmel), Bob Mould (Letterman), Jason Mraz (Fallon)
- Wednesday: Best Coast (Conan), Luke Bryan (Fallon), Matchbox Twenty (Letterman), Miss Willie Brown (Kimmel), Grace Potter (Leno)
- Thursday: Jason Aldean (Letterman), Billy Ray Cyrus (Leno), Everclear (Kimmel), Milo Greene (Conan), Jason Mraz (Live from Daryl's House, Palladia 11p)
- Friday: Divine Fits (Fallon), OneRepublic (Leno)
Recent artist and industry news
- Songwriting legend Hal David died Saturday at the age of 91. David is best known as the lyricist in a longtime songwriting partnership with Burt Bacharach that produced hits ranging from "What's New, Pussycat" to "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head." - Billboard
The latest music videos
Bob Dylan, "Duquesne Whistle":
Green Day, "Kill the DJ":
Azealia Banks, "1991":
2 Chainz feat. Kanye West, "Birthday Song":
Nas, "Bye Baby":
Ultraísta, "Bad Insect":
John Cale, "Face to the Sky":
Sigur Rós, "Dauðalogn":
The Presets, "Ghosts":
Tori Amos, "Flavor":
Simian Mobile Disco, "Species Out of Control":
The Fresh & Onlys, "Presence Of Mind":
Moonface, "I'm Not the Phoenix Yet":
In the studio / coming soon
- A new Deftones album, Koi No Yokan, will hit stores on November 13.
- Times New Viking will release a six-song EP, Over & Over, on October 16.
- Epitaph will release a new album by Converge on October 9, to be titled All We Love We Leave Behind. - Pitchfork
- The DOT is the name of a new project featuring Mike Skinner of The Streets and Rob Harvey of The Music; their debut album, And That, arrives October 22nd. - NME
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- The Rolling Stones have scheduled four November shows, two in Brooklyn and two in London. It'll be their first live dates since 2007. - Billboard
- Prince will begin a residency at Chicago's United Center on September 24th; additional dates are expected to be announced shortly. - Pollstar
- Find October dates for Deftones at Pollstar.
- A fall schedule for Pinback can be found at Consequence of Sound.
- Get fall dates for Woods at Pitchfork.
- Consequence of Sound has North American dates for Das Racist.