3D Classics: Kid Icarus 3DS

7.3

1. Apr 18, 2012
    Overall fairly fun, but very hard and very short. for example the monsters that steal your extremely important power ups cannot be killed, requiring you to suicide and start the level over, or pay many hearts (generally more than you'll have) to get them back.

The castle maps are nearly useless, assuming you bother to activate them. power ups are neither self explanatory, nor easy to activate, requiring you to reach full health before they activate. I found the easiest way was to reach the end of the area, then suicide on the next one to come back with full health. each and every death requires you to restart the area.

The first ascent (out of the underworld) is quite definitively the hardest part of the game. despite all this when you get good and get it right, its very satisfying to do well at it.

And then it ends. My stats log lists the game as played for 5 hours when I completed it, but I completed half the game before restarting (I lost all power ups to the thieves and it auto-saved when I reached the next area), and left my 3DS on standby for at least an hour (I don't know if that is included). I could have been much faster if I wasn't so meticulous about power up collection.

The price is like all eShop titles, more than it's worth. £5.40 for a re-release of an old game, that as far as I can tell has taken little or no effort on their part (except to label which sprites belong to which layer). if the price ever comes down to £2 or £2.50, then this would be an 8.5 or 9 out of 10, but it is too short and insubstantial to warrant the same price as so many full 3D games on steam.

Finally, the title "3D Classics" is a bit misleading. While technically using the 3D feature to separate the sprite layers of the game, it makes almost no difference and is barely noticeable.
  2. Aug 23, 2012
    I never know how to score classics. Do I give it a 10 because I can tell that 25 years ago it was an awesome game? Or do I judge based on the fun I'm having right now? Well you see my score so you decide.
  3. Dec 28, 2012
    There aren't many classic games that I can go back to and enjoy playing many years later, but this is one of the select few. I spent so much time playing this as a kid, and not sure that I even beat it back then. Getting it for free with the purchase of the 3DS Kid Icarus was a nice bonus. I probably wouldn't have bought this classic otherwise so that's why I can only give it an averageThere aren't many classic games that I can go back to and enjoy playing many years later, but this is one of the select few. I spent so much time playing this as a kid, and not sure that I even beat it back then. Getting it for free with the purchase of the 3DS Kid Icarus was a nice bonus. I probably wouldn't have bought this classic otherwise so that's why I can only give it an average rating, but It's a great purchase if you're collecting and replaying the best classics from the NES. Collapse
  4. Dec 28, 2012

This 3D Classic is surprisingly good given the base material. I actually recommend it highly. Try playing with classic controls first, then custom controls, and see how much different the experience is. As somebody who'd simply dismissed the game up until now, I'm glad I had the chance to play it because Kid Icarus is unexpectedly enjoyable.
  2. Mar 26, 2012
    A classic game that few modern gamers know. You should take a look at it -especially if you're going to purchase Kid Icarus Uprsising- just to see how everything began.
  3. Games Master UK