4.9

1. Dec 1, 2013
    The second Adventure Time videogame is why I hate licensed games. This should be an e-shop game with a $4.00 price tag cause its all its worth. If you take the Adventure Time characters out and put generic characters no one would give this game a second look. They promised voice acting but its barely used. WayFoward apparently sold out for the quick buck at the cost of its reputation. As for the game its boring and repetitive. Avoid it. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2013
    Of course it's never wise to trust that a license game will be well-designed or even enjoyable for that matter, there are tons of movie and TV show based games on consoles like the DS, PS2, and Wii which are terrible and only serve to mislead customers with a familiar theme or title. I knew that when I bought the first Adventure Time game because of my love of the show, "Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?" I was surprised at the quality of the game, it was essentially Zelda II with an Adventure Time skin and more content of course, and the only ways it was really lacking were difficulty and length. I had purchased the specal edition, which also came with a nice case and a few more accessories, so that of course helped with my opinion. I was skeptical of "Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW!" from the first trailer I saw, but of course when another 3DS special edition for this game was announced I was drawn in. I purchased the game and actually had high hopes for it, but it turned out to be a waste of money. Please note that I am rating the entire special edition, not just the game contained within it.

I'll start by saying that, like the Enchiridion case that came with the special edition of the previous game, the BMO steelbook case looks great, this time it even has a nice glossy look and some indentations on BMO's buttons for some extra detail and appeal. This is probably the only thing that didn't disappoint me.
    Inside of the steelbook case are three things: a DVD with bonus features, "Finn and Jake's Dungeon Guide" which is more or less a glorified instructions manual and the actual game case. The DVD seemed interesting from the start and I thought that such a thing would far outweigh the bonuses included in Hey Ice King's special edition, but this didn't turn out to be true. I mean, there just isn't much of anything worth looking at on it. I found the Cast interviews to be kind of neat, but there were only for cast members interviewed and they were each asked around four questions, two of these being about the game. That's the main problem here, the storyboards and the concept art included are about the game and not the show, and that would have been okay had the game been good. It just isn't though, and they didn't really include enough fan service on the DVD to do any damage control. It's kind of lazily put together. The Dungeon Guide is basically a list of enemies, characters, items, etc. It looks nice enough and could be useful if you really wanted to play the game, but game manuals like this used to be included with all versions of games, the actual game manual for Explore the Dungeon just teaches controls. I really don't have much of a gripe with this because two similar manuals were included in the special edition of Hey Ice King.

Maybe that would've been acceptable for the special edition's bonus features, although it wasn't really worth the extra ten dollars, but the real problems are in the game. I'll only critique what I have played as I didn't have the stomach to finish it, and although that makes it seem like I may have stopped before reaching any good parts there are some painfully obvious fundamental problems from the start. The game begins with a cut-scene, but not just any cut-scene, this particular one seems like it was made with MS Paint and Windows Movie Maker. The game appears to try to look retro as all of the in-game sprites are pixelated as well, but this clip is horrendous. The sound quality is even bad, the colors hardly vary and make it really dull, the only acceptable thing about it is the inclusion of the actual voice actors from the show. This left me cringing but still hoping for a decent game, but I was only further disappointed. Even without the 3D the graphics look more blurry than pixelated, the frame rate is much slower than it should be, although you can move in eight directions your character's sprite only turns in four... I won't get ahead of myself. The first thing you must complete is a tutorial level, which explains how to fight, but not the controls. If you want those you're going to have to look at the games manual, the pause menu, or just try things, but the game never notifies you. Fighting is very slow and dull, you can't move while you attack and even if you have a gun in the form of a subweapon, you can't strafe with it which makes shooting things difficult. Some monsters fire projectiles that you can apparently block, but this confused me and blocking failed to prevent any damage. Upon further inspection the hitbox for you shield or whatever your character may use is very small, and you have to be exact in making sure the bullet hits the center of your shield. Running low on characters, so I'll end off by saying that you can't explore the colorful land of Ooo like you did in Hey Ice King either, as the title suggests you're confined to a seemingly infinite dungeon in which each floor looks the same, and not even PB knows why.
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    Based on the amusing charm of the previous Adventure Time 3DS title ("Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!!") I expected a similar level of fun from Explore the Dungeon, and was sorely disappointed. This game is a tedious time waster.

While it's nice to have the option to switch between the four playable characters, that is about all of the variety you should expect from this
    title. The enemies are boring and easily defeated using essentially one button regardless of which "type" they are.

The game problems are further compounded by the lack of any "run" type function to at least help speed up long walks down empty halls.
  4. Apr 4, 2014
    Very bad game! So slow, laggy.
    The first game is very good, but the second is horrible.
    I cant go out of dugeon to save, you only can explore dugeons in sequence.
  5. May 24, 2014
    This game is just a bland, time wasting dungeon crawler, not much fun to be had.
    If you read any reviews for the 360 and ps3 versions, the one thing that made this game remotely fun was multiplayer with friends, which the 3DS version lacks.
    Dungeons are slow and repetitive, attacking is clunky, needs a run button, leveling is frustrating as money you collect must be spent before
    reentering the dungeon, the map is poorly placed on the top screen, and the voice acting is repetitive in game.
    The cutscenes after every boss / 10 dungeon layers are decent all around, but that's about the only good thing you'll get.
    There are too many bad things about this game, I'm really sorry for bagging on this but this is barely worth being a $5 game in the eshop!

1. Feb 18, 2014
    Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! for 3DS is less playable than its Wii U counterpart, and its cut corners show everywhere; it’s not the game that Adventure Time fans deserve or should expect from a developer like WayForward.
  2. Feb 5, 2014
    It’s hard to understand why such a flawed piece of work would be released without at least a major revision. Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! tries and fails not only at being a decent playable effort, but even at portraying a popular animation series for its fans. If anything, it provides an example of what not to do in a game.
  3. Dec 18, 2013
    There isn't a whole lot to enjoy in Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know, it's just boring from start to finish. After the first ten floors or so you've seen a majority of what the game has to offer, with the exception of some interesting boss battles.