7.4

1. Mar 29, 2015
    As a lover of card battles and Japanese culture, I was largely interested in this game only to find out that the story was way too childish for my tastes (and I don't usually mind these things but in this game it was really extreme) and the card battle mechanic revolved around running around the whole area repeatedly in order to find random orbs and then fighting in a rather dull game.
    I
    I guess I expected too much.
  2. Dec 25, 2014
    This game was recommended by many, and I saw it on sale at the eshop, and so I thought, "What the heck? It must be good since it's so well liked." Boy was I wrong. I went in expecting a game, and came out wondering where my game was and wanting a refund, because I felt robbed.
    Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale, is what it states it is, a "tale", not a game, but a "tale". This tale, however, failed to entertain me. It fails as a game and a tale, because the story makes absolutely no sense it all. Without spoiling too much, there's monsters, aliens, kids, and cards. This all adds up to become a simmering pot of disaster. With this, the game actually takes itself seriously. There's a few jokes here and there, but for the most part, the game is supposed to be serious. NOTHING made sense and I was left with $3 gone to waste.
    If you're looking for a game, then don't buy this. If you're looking for a story, then don't buy this either. If you're researching horrible overrated games or if you feel like burning money, then this is just the "game" for you.
  3. Sep 20, 2014
    This is one of those unique modern games that can't easily be described by referencing older games, because there is very little like it. The game plays like a JRPG, but there is no combat. The progression works like an Adventure game, but there are no puzzles. The game is about playing out the story and collecting cards in the card-battle mini game. The main story lasts 2-3 hours and itThis is one of those unique modern games that can't easily be described by referencing older games, because there is very little like it. The game plays like a JRPG, but there is no combat. The progression works like an Adventure game, but there are no puzzles. The game is about playing out the story and collecting cards in the card-battle mini game. The main story lasts 2-3 hours and it won't take more than 6-7 hours to 100% the game. Still, it deserves 10/10. So why is it so good? Play it and find out. Expand
  4. Mar 10, 2014
    Attack of the Friday Monsters! Was brief but felt personal. I finished it in two hours but everything about it was stunning. Set in 70s Japan before the era in which neon dominated the cities and theres was a gadget in everyone's hands. In it you play as Sohta, a ten-year old kid who just moved to Fuij no hana in Setagaya ward. He learns that monsters come out every Friday and fights eachAttack of the Friday Monsters! Was brief but felt personal. I finished it in two hours but everything about it was stunning. Set in 70s Japan before the era in which neon dominated the cities and theres was a gadget in everyone's hands. In it you play as Sohta, a ten-year old kid who just moved to Fuij no hana in Setagaya ward. He learns that monsters come out every Friday and fights each other near the place. It is very charming and although all your do is talk to people and collect things theres something about that is very touching and makes you smile.

+Lovely art style
    +Brings a smile to your face
    +Very immersive
    +Catchy music and lovely opening music
    +Feels personal
    +Characters are charming
    +A tribute to some of the most famous monsters and heroes from Japanese TV

-Not to everyones taste sadly.
  5. Jan 9, 2014
    Part of Level 5's Guild series, in which the Japanese publisher releases smaller experimental games, Attack of the Friday Monsters is quite the intriguing little adventure. More interactive anime than actual game, it offers practically no challenge, but there's still enough here to give players a pleasant experience during its short length.

The game is a homage to old Japanese monster

The game is a homage to old Japanese monster shows like Ultraman and Godzilla, and takes place in a rural Tokyo suburb of the 1970's. You play as Sohta, a kid who just arrived in town, where he learns that, every friday, big monsters battle it out just outside the city. It's a finely crafted little story about childish imagination that has the potential to be quite memorable. It does get a bit crazy sometimes, but that's to be expected given the source material.

The gameplay is so simple it seems almost an afterthought, and consists in two activities: you either wander around talking to people and collecting "glims" (shiny objects which turn into monster cards) or play monster cards with your friends. The wandering part is quite a joy, immersing you in the game's idyllic scenery as you discover the town and its people through Sohta's eyes. The card game is based on rock-paper-scissors, but with a bit of strategy added so that it isn't too luck-based. Like I said, challenge isn't really the name of the game here; the gameplay is mostly a laid-back and relaxing exercise to get you through the story.

Attack of the Friday Monsters succeeds in what it sets to do: offer a simple emotional childhood tale disguised as an adventure game. During its three hours or so, it will be easy to lose yourself into its world, and it's quite possible you'll get nostalgic for your own childhood. My main qualm was the realization that this could have been so much more; the premise is attractive, the title is the right kind of quirky, the setting is quite inviting. The game is enjoyable as it is, but it could be downright memorable had it been developed as a full-fledged retail release.

Rating: 7.5
  6. Dec 20, 2013
    This game was fantastic in every way. Destructoids review was pretty spot on. The game is extremely nostalgic and really captures the magic of childhood. I found it involving me on an emotional level. It charmed me to death. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic. When you consider all of this for the $5 price tag (I got it on sale) this buy is a no-brainer. Absolutely one of the bestThis game was fantastic in every way. Destructoids review was pretty spot on. The game is extremely nostalgic and really captures the magic of childhood. I found it involving me on an emotional level. It charmed me to death. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic. When you consider all of this for the $5 price tag (I got it on sale) this buy is a no-brainer. Absolutely one of the best eShop titles I have purchased. Expand
  7. Aug 20, 2013
    Absolutely wonderful little title that really captures the nostalgia and emotion of childhood to the point of making you smile and tear up slightly. The game's setting is small but a joy to venture around. Collecting glibs is fun and addictive (in a healthy, non-extreme way). The visuals and soundtrack really compliment each other and both components are superb on their own. The storyAbsolutely wonderful little title that really captures the nostalgia and emotion of childhood to the point of making you smile and tear up slightly. The game's setting is small but a joy to venture around. Collecting glibs is fun and addictive (in a healthy, non-extreme way). The visuals and soundtrack really compliment each other and both components are superb on their own. The story itself pans out very differently to what I was expecting and it was for the better. Ignore the steep price tag, you owe it to yourself to have this title in your collection. Though gamers seeking a more hardcore, action-packed and challenging experience should look elsewhere. Collapse
  8. Aug 20, 2013

1. Sep 23, 2013
    When it comes down to flat-out value for money? The 3DS store has plenty of other games to hold your attention. [Issue#139, p.120]
  2. Sep 18, 2013
    Short and sweet, its ability to capture a sense of time of place should be cherished. [Nov 2013, p.73]
  3. There's a subtlety of theme and a sense of personality here that is matched by almost nothing else on 3DS. [Oct 2013, p.83]