Bit Boy!! Arcade 3DS

• Publisher: Bplus
  • Release Date: Apr 17, 2014
3.8

1. May 25, 2014
    My enjoyment of this game changed quite a bit as I progressed in it. When I saw the trailer, I was so intrigued by what looked to be an incredibly unique, bizarre game… but then once I started playing, I thought: "Wait, this is it? Just moving around avoiding bad guys and collecting things to finish the level?" And, to be honest, that really IS all it is.

But, not wanting my purchase

But, not wanting my purchase to be a waste, I kept at it. And it started growing on me. I found the interaction between Kubi (the "hero") and the game's designer (a character in the game) to be quite amusing, and in fact, Kubi's own comments often reflected my own dislike for certain things in the game. For instance, after a few levels, Kubi says: "That was it? That was the game?" and prompts the creator to make it more interesting. Later on, there's some rather dopey music in a level… and Kubi complains about it to the creator, who then changes it for the next level. And so forth.

Yes, this conceit is impossibly cheesy and cutesy. And if that doesn't strike a positive chord in you, then you will likely hate this game (as many on this site seem to). Furthermore, it's true that the game certainly has some flaws/oversights: blocks that you sometimes can climb over but other times not (without explanation), walls that you can sometimes cling to and sometimes not (without explanation), inability to skip past what sometimes become VERY long sections of dialogue, and a handful of levels that, to me, were just stupidly difficult without much of a learning curve.

But, I nevertheless made it through to the end (at least, I THINK it's the end… I still see some question marks on a level list screen that I think might be secret levels) and enjoyed about 90% of the journey… which was enough for me to recommend this game. The colorful graphics and gorgeous use of 3D go a long way toward that enjoyment.
  2. Jul 25, 2014
    i feel for the guy, i like it, its different at least and i like the voice over and the light hearted tone and the sort of naive aesthetic. for the time i played it i definitely enjoyed it.
  3. May 15, 2014
    This is one of the best 3DS eshop games available.

The controls are weird at first, but the more you play, you realize why they are the way that they are. Soon you will be zipping around the stages at super speeds once you learn how to alrernfate between the d-pad and the face buttons. The graphics are gorgeous. Later stages put nintendo's own games to shame. The 3D is also among
    This is one of the best 3DS eshop games available.

The graphics are gorgeous. Later stages put nintendo's own games to shame. The 3D is also among the best I've seen, and I've played close to 100 3ds games. All this and it runs at a butterly smooth 60fps.

Music is really catchy and gets in your head.

The story is complete non-sense, but I appreciate the effort.
  4. May 20, 2014
    This is by far the best game anyone has ever made. Before I played Bit Boy!! Arcade, I was sad, I was lonely, I was in a darker place and did some things I regret. Then... one fateful day, I met Kubi. Kubi taught me to love, Kubi showed me why I should keep living. If it wasn't for Bit Boy!! Arcade, I wouldn't be breathing anymore. This, is more that just a game. It's a journey toThis is by far the best game anyone has ever made. Before I played Bit Boy!! Arcade, I was sad, I was lonely, I was in a darker place and did some things I regret. Then... one fateful day, I met Kubi. Kubi taught me to love, Kubi showed me why I should keep living. If it wasn't for Bit Boy!! Arcade, I wouldn't be breathing anymore. This, is more that just a game. It's a journey to enlightenment. With a plot so deep, I discovered new emotions I didn't even know existed. There was never a moment that I wasn't eagerly anticipating the next unveiling. Yet, I didn't mind waiting, as the gameplay was far too enjoyable. I may have been a virgin before playing Bit Boy!! Arcade, but I'd be lying if I said this incredible experience didn't change that. While this is going on a choir of angels is singing the anthem of Bit Boy!! Arcade in the most beautiful of voices. It was the best experience I've ever had the pleasure of being part of in my whole life. Alas, all good things must come to an end, as I completed the final level, a single tear shed from my eye. I was just about to restart it, when I realized, that was just the first world. Please purchase Bit Boy!!! Arcade now, you are actively harming yourself every second that passes by without having played it. Expand
  5. Oct 21, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is quite possibly my favourite on the Eshop. Once you get past the unusual control scheme, and how complex the story is, this is truly worth the buy. The idea is that Kubi, the pixel hero of the game, has just finished saving all his friends from the evil 4 bit monster in the last game, as he told it that it was "Retro" and the monster thought it was an insult, so he got mad and kidnapped Kubi's friends. Bernd, Kubi's creator, witnesses Kubi being eaten by a pixel monster, and pleads to the ZeLeLi to help him, a magical race of strange creatures that can control time. They abide, and send him back in time to help change Kubi's destiny, however this time they have given him the gift of being able to interact with his creator. This leads Bernd and Kubi to interact with each other a lot during the game, and you can really see the chemistry between them. You end up connecting with them a lot throughout the game. The game itself is beautifully crafted, ranging from many unique art styles. Kubi must rescue all his friends from the shadow monsters in the levels, which are revealed later to be out of Bernd's control, so they must work together to defeat them and stop their plans. The soundtrack is catchy, and each of the levels is different and fun. As you go along, the graphics get more complex, until you eventually end up with beautiful Levels like a giant sunflower floating on the open ocean. Eventually the levels begin to get REALLY hard. And you can only unlock the true final boss after collecting every single Pixel fly, which are hidden throughout the levels. In the "dream" ending, Kubi appears to have defeated the boss. However at the end of the credits Bernd ends up pleading for him to wake up, and when he eventually does he appears to be trapped inside the Shadow Mothership. Bernd tries to save him but ends up stuck in there too, and he ends up having to terminate their connection by logging out of the game, hoping he can save him from there. Failing, Bernd takes one last look at the mothership before it flies away, with Kubi trapped inside... and the game ends there. However, there are sequels coming up to finish the story, which I can't wait for. Expand

1. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    Aug 8, 2014
    This is the kind of bizarro indie creativity we like to see on 3DS, but the gameplay itself is a little on the duff side. [Aug 2014, p.87]
  2. Jun 18, 2014
    Even though I have a lot of complaints with Bit Boy!! Arcade, I genuinely enjoy the core concept of the game. I liked speeding through each phase and setting high scores, but the plethora of flaws it has prevented me from fully loving the experience. The game could have been something fantastic, but it desperately lacks the polish it needs to be entertaining as a whole.
  3. Jun 10, 2014
    Without anything remarkable to offer in the four fields that it touches upon - action, adventure, puzzle and arcade - this is best used as a basis to learn about how to make videogames, as the insights on game design found along the way are more entertaining than any other component the game offers.