8.5

1. Jun 20, 2014
    I feel sorry that many people commented on this game before finishing it. The game is great at the beginning, it's almost perfect. Then it becomes repetitive as hell and I am not specifying how to make the comment spoil-less, but I ended up hating it. Going over and over the same bunch of things reading the same dialog repeatedly with a little bit of something new that is totallyI feel sorry that many people commented on this game before finishing it. The game is great at the beginning, it's almost perfect. Then it becomes repetitive as hell and I am not specifying how to make the comment spoil-less, but I ended up hating it. Going over and over the same bunch of things reading the same dialog repeatedly with a little bit of something new that is totally irrelevant or could have been added to some other part in the game....I also believed it was the return of classic Final Fantasy as much that I called this game Final Fantasy Beverly Default, but I repeat, after the first half, i only wanted to throw away my 3DS to a solid wall and break it. *badwordhere* developers who tough doing that over and over was a good idea, hope you never make a game again..or do, but only make a 'first half' and them just leave it as it is. Expand
  2. Mar 28, 2014
    There are a lot of things that this game does right, but a lot it does wrong. Let's start with the bad: Everything in this game except for the combat system and the story itself is completely messed up. The game has the philosophy that "if you did it once, you better do it five times more"! This is ludicrous. The game recycles all the bosses and a ton of dialogue five times over. EvenThere are a lot of things that this game does right, but a lot it does wrong. Let's start with the bad: Everything in this game except for the combat system and the story itself is completely messed up. The game has the philosophy that "if you did it once, you better do it five times more"! This is ludicrous. The game recycles all the bosses and a ton of dialogue five times over. Even Devil May Cry 4 didn't reuse it's game that much. But the recycled stuff is okay because it is worked into the plot itself.... Really? That doesn't make it okay. Artificial padding is artificial padding. All of the dungeons are some of the laziest I have ever seen as well. They just feel slapped together. Did they make them all over the weekend or something? Also, this is a single player game RPG, so why is there multiplayer? The multiplayer comes in the form of a facebook game. The facebook game also effects gameplay as well in a significant way. And that some of the bosses are almost impossible to beat on hard without keeping up with the facebook game so that you can get access to special gear to help negate their attack s. And that brings me to another point, the game's excuse for strategic combat is a boss who just uses a powerful attack (that probably ignores default) and attacks your entire party, wiping it out or almost wiping it out. Sometimes there's no way to dodge it or block it (see chapter 2 boss). Now, I'm not one to really care about fanservice in a game, but this game has a really shameful way of doing it. And that is when the fanservice distracts from a major plot point. Sometime close to the end of the game -and I am not going to spoil anything- but there is something in the middle of the screen. A plot twist. And the player is supposed to notice it, but off to the left of the screen is this chick's a$$ that is just there and hanging out. And being biologically inclined to look at it, you [I] do. And then the plot twist begins to glow, as if you were supposed to notice the thing. So you look up and say, "Oh, it's glowing, how nice." And back down to the a$$ you go! And you [I] miss that plot point, and you [I] are left feeling angry because you feel like you should have noticed it. It's blatant and shameless. I could go into the characters of the game at this point, but believe me, none of them are as good as everyone says they are. Two are intentionally bland and boring as their character and one stops progressing half way through only for their character to be picked back up at the end of the game, and even once that char's characterization is complete you feel like it's lacking. As if there was something else that could have been done. There is the last character who begins interesting, is interesting through the middle, and ends interesting. And there is a problem there. If the entire story has to carry itself on one character then there's an imbalance, It shows that attention and care was given not given to all of the characters as they should have. And the story fails because of that. Another thing, why are there micro-transactions in a singleplayer game? "But, reviewer man, there's only one micro-transaction and is optional, you don't have to get it if you don't want to. And it's not even that high priced! So what's your problem?" Am I the only one around here who feels like there should be no micro-transactions in a singleplayer game; or any internet connection required for any feature to function at all! Also, my last point. Is that the game feels like midway through development the developers figured out that the game was impossible to balance so they threw it upon the player to balance the game for them. This is seen in the design decision to include a meter to alter the frequency of random encounters (and even turn them off). And we see that the decision to include the meter was not originally in the early form of the game. The evidence for this is the spells and items that teleport you out of dungeons. it just...reeks of laziness. Don't get me wrong, it is a really fun game, the good parts are the one good character, the story itself (its just as epic as all other final fantasy games), and the combat. The combat alone should win an award for how well crafted it is! And the inclusion of an auto-battle function makes the grind easier as well, especially for a game whose combat system relies around making lots of moves in succession and can be tedious without it. So that's great. Expand
  3. Dec 6, 2013
    Absolument parfait le meilleur RPG de Square Enix depuis très longtemps!
    Digne d'un FF5/FF6, et Chrono Cross l'époque 16/32 bits
    Un vrai retour aux sources.
  4. Mar 26, 2014
    Rather good for quite a while, though the game falls off from being one of the best games of the year, to utter trash about halfway in. That and due to the poor implementation of customization (you'll be hard pressed to ever find skills that synergize) makes it not as good as it could be.
  5. Jul 14, 2014
    The game starts out rather interesting and the battle system is a new spin on turn-based fighting, but the dialogue is cheesy, the characters make terrible decisions that alienate them from the player, and the game loses all of it's steam about halfway through. After the halfway mark all boss battles are recycled multiple times and the player is forced to defeat them again and again withThe game starts out rather interesting and the battle system is a new spin on turn-based fighting, but the dialogue is cheesy, the characters make terrible decisions that alienate them from the player, and the game loses all of it's steam about halfway through. After the halfway mark all boss battles are recycled multiple times and the player is forced to defeat them again and again with very few variations, leaving you frustrated and unmotivated. It's very disheartening knowing exactly what is going to happen in the next 10 hours of gameplay. I quite liked the game at the start but ended up absolutely resenting it. Expand
  6. Jul 24, 2014
    Artificial padding and artificial difficulty do not a good game make, nor shoddy plots and vapid characters a good story. Square-Enix needs to give all of their money to CD Projekt Red, a far more superior RPG making company.
  7. Dec 12, 2014
    I would describe this game with a single word: "repetitive". And it's not about lvl grinding. It's because you do the same stuff, beat the same bosses and keep reviving the crystals until it is painful and boring to death.
    This game was very promising during the first chapters: graphics are very nice, all dialogs are voice-acted, battle dynamics are good, and the job system is somewhat traditional but you can live with it. There are some awesome skills to obtain and everything was going so nice...
    But as you progress in the game, everything gets recycled and monotone. The end is extremely dissapointing. I completed the game but I really cannot recommend it.
  8. Oct 22, 2014
    So I have just completed Bravely Default after 96 hours. Now for my final thoughts about this game, a game that at the start I loved and would recommended it to anyone, but that love quickly turned sour as the game progressed past chapter 5 into nothing more than garbage. Although it did redeem some of its credibility back near the very end, it still felt like wasted potential. But all mySo I have just completed Bravely Default after 96 hours. Now for my final thoughts about this game, a game that at the start I loved and would recommended it to anyone, but that love quickly turned sour as the game progressed past chapter 5 into nothing more than garbage. Although it did redeem some of its credibility back near the very end, it still felt like wasted potential. But all my hopes laid on the ending, if the ending was satisfying I could let it pass, maybe all that hardship could be left behind, but no, bravely default up until the very end managed to stay a disappointment and I would not recommend this game. If I had to rate this I would give it two ratings
    Chapters 1-4 I would give it a 9/10
    Chapters 5-9 I give it a 4/10
    This game had solid characters, combat and fun bosses but then it just destroyed all that build up and made everything you do seem pointless and unrewarding. I hope all is fixed in its squeal Bravely Second, cause that combat and style is the only thing that is keeping me invested in buying it.
  9. Nov 12, 2014
    I feel terrible giving this game a low score. I very much wanted to like this game. However, the felt quite slow, the art style was a bit too dark at times and the characters were not appealing. I can understand how some players can love this game and I can see the effort and care the developers put into the game. From my perspective, I give it a low score. But, I can see someone playingI feel terrible giving this game a low score. I very much wanted to like this game. However, the felt quite slow, the art style was a bit too dark at times and the characters were not appealing. I can understand how some players can love this game and I can see the effort and care the developers put into the game. From my perspective, I give it a low score. But, I can see someone playing it and falling in love with it. Enjoy. Expand
  10. Jan 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bought this game expecting a masterpiece RPG, instead what I got was a huge disappointment. The plot, dialogues and characters are poorly written. The world map and dungeons are poorly designed. The job system and music are this game’s only redeeming points.

The story is not just cliché, but also a poorly told cliché. The world is crumbling and no one seems to be doing anything except the 4 main character. The sea has become rotten and everyone just casually mentions it like nothing. There is no chemistry between the party members, how the party came together is also rushed and sloppy. The dialogues, most of the times are painful to listen at.
    Cities are beautiful but lifeless, the world map and dungeons both seems generic. Cities or countries are not explained at all, kings acts like fools with no regard to the rest of the world.

The hometown can be rebuilt simply by assigning people to construct buildings? And seems to only serve the party’s shopping benefit. When I tried using the SP in a battle, the main character actually said some promotional words which is sad instead of funny.

Auto battle function is clumsy, enemy’s information is hidden by a left analog stick toggle which is very unnecessary. Weakness must be examined. Brave and Default mode does bring something new to battles but that’s about it. To acquire new jobs you must go through various sub-story which only means more nonsense dialogue and plots that hurts your common sense and sense of humor.

Played until chapter 2 in which the party decides to enter a beauty contest? That’s all I can bear. I guess the plot might develop and twist as the game progress but from what I’ve seen in the first 2 chapters, I want no part on what is about to happen next in the story.

1. Apr 14, 2014
    It sounds like a lot, and it is, but not in an overwhelming way but in a fantastic, three in the morning, I can’t stop playing this game kind of way. When it all comes together and you destroy a boss that gave you troubles just a few job levels ago, it feels great.
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    It's got a lovely fresh coat of paint, but underneath that Bravely Default is the same old thing.
  3. Feb 16, 2014
    Bravely Deafult is the best game from Square-Enix in a long time and a must for fans of classic Final Fantasy. The battle and work system, as well as the history and the graphics is natural progresses of a gamemaking many deemed nostalgic.