8.5

1. Dec 9, 2013
    Wow, the atmosphere is classic, the scenery is elegant. I am waiting for such a game so long time. Maybe I am a bit out of date, but this is really my style. The only thing I don't like is the character setting, too cute.
  2. Dec 6, 2013
    Bravely default can be descripted
    as a reencarnation of RPG or reencarnation
    of Final Fantasy franchise.
    in other words, this game is AWESOME!!
    GOOD GAMEPLAY,GOOD GRAPHICS,AN EXCELLENT SOUNDTRACK
    AND A DEEP AND SOLID PLOT
  3. Dec 9, 2013
    This game is some of the most beautiful video game graphics I've ever seen. Words other reviewers have used are elegant and lush totally agree. Couldn't agree more in fact. That alone makes this game such a refreshing play. Just playing in pure beauty...
  4. Dec 7, 2013
    I did not play through this game yet, but so far, it's very solid. Gameplay is interesting and feels fresh, moreso than I thought it would, as the game has a very classic appeal.
    In many ways, it reminds me of Final Fantasy III (the DS version in particular), only that FF III's interesting aspects (mainly it's job system) where taken a step further and improved upon. The job system is basically there to substitute for the lack of character choices (from what I can tell, you'll have only the 4 main ones from (almost) start to finish), and it does so very well. Thanks to the game having only 4 main characters, these are more fleshed out than in other RPGs, which is often done in optional dialogue, similar to how it works in the two Star Ocean games on PSP. This means that people that just want to play the game don't have to read tons of lines if they choose not to. For the people that don't want to spend to much time in combat, there's Easy Mode, and the difficulty can even be changed while playing, allowing for the game to be finished even if your skill is lacking. You can also play all the way on hard mode though, so the game is only as hard or easy as you want it to be, which is a plus.
    The game also has a social game like feature, where you'll build up a town. It's very basic and real time based, but it adds to the game and will keep me playing day after day to build other buildings.
    There's also a feature called "Bravely Second", which allows you to stop time in combat. This'll use up Sleep Points (SP) which can be gained by having the game running while the 3DS is in standby mode, or buying them with real money. Many people complain about this, as it's one of the now infamous "microtransactions" usually found in free to play games, but to be honest, it's not like you'll use the Bravely Second power often, as it really only makes the game easier for you, which can already be done by changing the difficulty to "Easy" when you're stuck.
    The battle system, as I've said, is classic yet fresh. The game goes with a Bravely/Default feature (hence it's name, I guess), which allows you to attack multiple times in a row for the price of Brave Points (BP). These BP are acquired by waiting a round ("defaulting" it). You'll also gain one each time a round starts. You can choose to save up BP or use them up before having acquired them, which'll cost you rounds in the process. You'll be defenseless in these rounds, so oftentimes it's better to store up BP, as you can enter a command each round that way and don't have to endure the rounds without being able to do anything. This mechanic is interesting to play around with.
    The story, as far as I've played, is rather simple and Final Fantasy-esque. It's nothing special so far, but it's very solid and keeps my interest. The characters also have an interesting dynamic to them, which results in some funny lines, and I think they are rather entertaining so far. They do have some interesting backgrounds as well, so they're not one-dimensional jokesters on anything (this game isn't as funny as, say, Paper Mario 2, but rather more serious). I also like the voice acting. It isn't on the same level as, let's say, Persona 4's or Fire Emblem Awakening's English voiceovers, but it's solid. And even if you're not into English dubs, the game comes with the Japanese voice tracks as well. You can even change the text language to Japanese, should you want to do that (and French, Spanish, German and Italian, of course).
    All in all, this is a very solid JRPG. For people who have been starving for classic JRPGs (like me), you should be buying this game right now. And even if that is not usually your cup of tea, I suggest trying out combat in the demo that is available on the eShop (combat only because story and characters are not represented in that one). You might like it, as the game definitely doesn't feel outdated (despite it's classic approach). It has it's flaws, but it's highly enjoyable.
  5. Dec 9, 2013
    Absolutely perfect old school JRPG with present day standards. If you're not a fan of the genre, there isn't much for you, but if you've been looking for a great JRPG, you *need* to give Bravely Default a try.
  6. Dec 9, 2013
    Really solid JRPG with peaks of excellence in graphic style and job system. If you like the genre don't let the micro transactions scare you, they are really non existent and a non issue. I really recommend it.
  7. Feb 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never been so in love with a game ever. Bravely Default is a definition of a video game art. Its art style, music and gameplay are some of the best among RPGs, old and new.

When I played the demo, I thought the Brave and Default feature made the game easy but the full game changed my opinion. This feature changed the typical turn-based RPG gameplay drastically. You have to strategize what character goes to Brave or Default because spamming for Braves won't save you from most bosses and some random-encounter monsters.

The job class system is really the reason why I was excited for this game. I was busy fanboy-screaming to myself while playing the game when I realized that I missed fanboy-screaming about the fact that I'll have an "asterisk" of my favorite Final Fantasy job class/character in Final Fantasy. Clue: He/she calls some powerful friends to destroy everything. :3

The music is amazing. Most of the time, I find my characters not moving because I was busy listening to a dungeon music. lol

While I'm just in about 10 hours to the game, the story so far is doing great.

The graphics and art style are very beautiful.
  8. Feb 9, 2014
    Bravely Default is a must-own to the 3DS. If you are a fan of RPGs and you are looking for a very amazing experience on your dusty 3DS, then Bravely Default is the game you are looking foward.
  9. Feb 9, 2014
    My god! I have been waiting for such a classic game as this. In 3 days, I have already put more then 18 hours into this fantastic game. Everything is presented so well; and I don't understand the fuss with the characters, sure it has been better in other games but damn, everything more then makes up it. I really hope Bravely Second makes it stateside and they continue to make more.My god! I have been waiting for such a classic game as this. In 3 days, I have already put more then 18 hours into this fantastic game. Everything is presented so well; and I don't understand the fuss with the characters, sure it has been better in other games but damn, everything more then makes up it. I really hope Bravely Second makes it stateside and they continue to make more. This is must have game for any classic RPG gamer and 3DS owner Expand
  10. Feb 12, 2014
    I have been waiting over 10 years for a solid RPG to come out that gives you the classic 60+ hour game play that Final Fantasy once had given. Square did an amazing job with this game, and I STRONGLY recommend it to everyone! It also greatly encourages Street Pass by providing several features that utilize the feature quite well such as Ability link, building your town, friend summoningI have been waiting over 10 years for a solid RPG to come out that gives you the classic 60+ hour game play that Final Fantasy once had given. Square did an amazing job with this game, and I STRONGLY recommend it to everyone! It also greatly encourages Street Pass by providing several features that utilize the feature quite well such as Ability link, building your town, friend summoning and so forth. Expand
  11. Feb 7, 2014
    Bravely Default is a masterpiece: charismatic characters, long play and fun, great dificult, battles per turn reinvented, great graphics and, in my opinion, its has one the best soundtrack that I heard in my entire gamer life, each music is so perfect! That with this game I hope Square Enix open your eyes and try to make games like this.
  12. Feb 13, 2014
    I'm only halfway through the game but I can say that I haven't been hooked to a game this way for a very long time. Loving the music, the characters, the story, the 3d effect is gorgeous.

Some people complain about repetition in some part of the game, I say YES!!! I can play this game for months, even so, you can just set the auto function in minor fights and care about bosses and healing maybe. And with so many options to customize the way you play, I don't see how repeating those things over and over could be THAT bad.

Buy the game, it's AWESOME!
  13. Feb 10, 2014
    Honestly, this game is one of my all time favorites of all time. From the beautiful landscapes and dungeons that you find yourself exploring, to the incredible soundtrack (which I have downloaded and regularly use), this game is a work of art.
    The voice acting may be hated on by some people, but i personally have not found a problem with it.
    Although I may not be a connoisseur in the
    Although I may not be a connoisseur in the JPRG genre, I have found the gameplay to be intuitive, easy to pick up, but most importantly fun.

I wholeheartedly recommend Bravely Default, it is in my opinion a game for everyone and anyone to enjoy.
  14. Feb 12, 2014
    Bravery Default in short is why the 3ds this past year (even though it was released in '14) has dominated my purchase history for games. The 3d is blended perfectly and this game is visually stunning. When you enter a town you are presented with this amazing view of the whole town which looks like both CGI and a painting. The audios are really well placed and every new area comes to lifeBravery Default in short is why the 3ds this past year (even though it was released in '14) has dominated my purchase history for games. The 3d is blended perfectly and this game is visually stunning. When you enter a town you are presented with this amazing view of the whole town which looks like both CGI and a painting. The audios are really well placed and every new area comes to life with the music.

The reason this game hasent gotten such a great review is not because the game but because the western market when it comes to rpg's. People are so obsessed with things being new or innovative. Bravery Default is a game that has taken me back to the days when games actually gave me a sense of wonder. Every time I enter a town I end up saying .. wow. The monsters early on make me think im battling epic beasts. What seperates this game from the rest is the atmosphere it creates while you play it.

I havent talked about mechanics at all in this review but that is on purpose. This is a game with very polished mechanics that create good game play but the strong part of this game is its ability to keep you wrapped up. I used to play games with the mind of a critic, what does it do well? where does it fall short? I have come to the realzation that this ruins games before you even start.

In short. Dont treat bravery deault like this revolutonary game that will change the way rpg's are played rather get lost in the world it creates and love it for what it really is; a great game thats highly polished and will sweep you away. What else could you even ask for in a rpg?
  15. Feb 20, 2014
    Bravely Default is the most epic, amazing throwback RPG I've played in years. The Job system is simply a thing of beauty. It's one of those rare RPGs that makes you WANT to grind to unlock those sweet new Job abilities. The Metacritic score of Bravely Default stands at 85 as of this writing. That is a travesty. It's an instant classic that deserves to be mentioned with alongside FireBravely Default is the most epic, amazing throwback RPG I've played in years. The Job system is simply a thing of beauty. It's one of those rare RPGs that makes you WANT to grind to unlock those sweet new Job abilities. The Metacritic score of Bravely Default stands at 85 as of this writing. That is a travesty. It's an instant classic that deserves to be mentioned with alongside Fire Emblem Awaking. Expand
  16. Mar 5, 2014
    Bravely Default is everything that makes classic turn based RPGs so great plus there is a new 'default' mechanic that lets you store up moves while defending so you can unleash huge multi-turn combo attacks later (or you can 'brave' a few turns in advance if you think you're tough enough to handle the counter assault)

This game is a perfect 10. Go buy it now. It is full of lore and

This game is a perfect 10. Go buy it now. It is full of lore and the story will draw you in as much as you let it...
  17. Feb 13, 2014
    Looks and feels like a true Final Fantasy title. None of this linear world crap, Great game, a true predecessor to the FF titles of the SNES/PS1 days.
  18. Feb 13, 2014
    I was undecided which game to buy for my new 3ds. I've found this one. Looked trailer and after I've seen "Square Enix" , I decided to give it a try. I am currently playing this game a lot of time and I'm really enjoying it pretty much. It reminds old times when I was playing my first rpg (ff 7), when you have to discover the story,fight enemies for raise your level. Music are alsoI was undecided which game to buy for my new 3ds. I've found this one. Looked trailer and after I've seen "Square Enix" , I decided to give it a try. I am currently playing this game a lot of time and I'm really enjoying it pretty much. It reminds old times when I was playing my first rpg (ff 7), when you have to discover the story,fight enemies for raise your level. Music are also fantastic. It really worth all the moneys. A fantastic adventure that every old RPG gamer should have in their own collection. Expand
  19. Feb 18, 2014
    I rarely give games perfect 10s as I rarely feel a game can live up to them. However, this is essentially the *perfect* modernized JRPG. This game is what Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest could or should be. Square Enix was a fool not to release this in the West; instead fans convinced Nintendo to localize and publish it. Games like this will make JRPGs relevant again outside Japan, whileI rarely give games perfect 10s as I rarely feel a game can live up to them. However, this is essentially the *perfect* modernized JRPG. This game is what Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest could or should be. Square Enix was a fool not to release this in the West; instead fans convinced Nintendo to localize and publish it. Games like this will make JRPGs relevant again outside Japan, while Square is doing its best to dig a whole for the genre with the FF13s. Expand
  20. Feb 24, 2014
    Bravely Default embodies everything a modern RPG should be, massively customizable, expansive and engaging. It may not be perfect but it's ridiculous levels of customization and strategy possibilities cover wholeheartedly for any gripes you may have had with the story, which I personally enjoyed for the most part, especially the characters, most of them anyway. Easily the best traditionalBravely Default embodies everything a modern RPG should be, massively customizable, expansive and engaging. It may not be perfect but it's ridiculous levels of customization and strategy possibilities cover wholeheartedly for any gripes you may have had with the story, which I personally enjoyed for the most part, especially the characters, most of them anyway. Easily the best traditional RPG on the 3DS and a must own for any fans of Square's work. Expand
  21. Feb 25, 2014
    Great game, so many skills and ways to custumize your character and a great story to boot, I do recommand playing with the japanese voice on. Hours of fun
  22. Mar 7, 2014
    Awesome, solid RPG game with tons of depth. The attractive part is that there are lots of classes available. Players are open to use over 10,000 job combinations to finish each quest. Also the enhanced round-based combat system creates a lot more possibilities of different tactics. Both of these features gives players lots of options to choose from in terms of difficulties, whether theyAwesome, solid RPG game with tons of depth. The attractive part is that there are lots of classes available. Players are open to use over 10,000 job combinations to finish each quest. Also the enhanced round-based combat system creates a lot more possibilities of different tactics. Both of these features gives players lots of options to choose from in terms of difficulties, whether they want to try out different combinations or just enjoy the story or both.

Solid 9.5/10. (0.5 for area of improvement :P)
  23. Mar 15, 2014
    Just wow, from the first moment you delve into this game the atmosphere just sucks you in. The innovative battle system doesn't sound like much on paper but it defines the game. I was so interested that I waited to play the game till a period of time where I wouldn't be disturbed. It's that attractive.
  24. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is amazing! Classic JRPG gameplay, with a unique battling system that handles very nicely. I will admit that the voice acting can be a bit cheesy, BUT this was EASILY solved by changing the game audio to Japanese (if you haven't done this yet DO IT!).

I've been waiting a long time for a great JRPG that gets everything right. Reminds me of when I first played through Golden Sun on GBA.

I cannot stress enough, however, that just switching the dialogue language will make all the difference! Japanese dub w/English sub, you won't regret it!
  25. Mar 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is a masterpiece
    i loved it . It is the best RPG game i have seen in years.
    For everyone who is looking for a great game to buy, well get this game!
  26. May 15, 2014
    Bravely Default is a landmark JRPG. It's an interesting new take on the turn based battle system allows for whole new layers of depth adding new strategies and making the standard formula more addictive. And the enemies present a challenge which forces you to dig deep into the combat system to find new strategies for taking down enemies. The plot and characters aren't the greatest but theyBravely Default is a landmark JRPG. It's an interesting new take on the turn based battle system allows for whole new layers of depth adding new strategies and making the standard formula more addictive. And the enemies present a challenge which forces you to dig deep into the combat system to find new strategies for taking down enemies. The plot and characters aren't the greatest but they could be worse. Expand
  27. Oct 30, 2014
    If you have a 3DS you should give this game a try. It's soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard, the gameplay is challenging and addictive, and the job system is awesome. The story is good, nothing spectacular but good, and the characters are likable. By far the best thing in the game is the combat system and the smart enemy AI, they make the boss battles amazing. They also added theIf you have a 3DS you should give this game a try. It's soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard, the gameplay is challenging and addictive, and the job system is awesome. The story is good, nothing spectacular but good, and the characters are likable. By far the best thing in the game is the combat system and the smart enemy AI, they make the boss battles amazing. They also added the option to lower or turn off random events which is a great inclusion for the casual market. Expand
  28. Feb 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game ! You can change the job at anytime ,you can change the battle speed at any time , and you can even change the encounter rate at any time ! Wow ,all I thought before now become real ! Awesome ! Expand
  29. Feb 22, 2014
    One of the must have RPG games of the new generation. Bravely Default is not a game of Square enix company, this is a game of the old and magic Squaresoft.
  30. Feb 23, 2014
    Bravely Default to been a good game as if revived some FF saga, although that is a spin off. history divided into two mentalities or not to follow the beliefs of the crystals takes a lot of history middle age, music is the small feast where one can revel in every moment and enjoy excellent graphics showed that the capacity of the Nintendo 3DS is super powerful, no doubt a great game byBravely Default to been a good game as if revived some FF saga, although that is a spin off. history divided into two mentalities or not to follow the beliefs of the crystals takes a lot of history middle age, music is the small feast where one can revel in every moment and enjoy excellent graphics showed that the capacity of the Nintendo 3DS is super powerful, no doubt a great game by Square Enix. Expand
  31. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is almost perfect. Yes, the script and voice acting are "eh" at times, but that's a given with any RPG. The 3D feature is not an afterthought, either, as it enhances the scenery in the game. The job and battle systems take a little getting used to, but if you play the demo or the primary game for at least 10 minutes, you'll master both of them.

It's funny that some people have brought up "repetitive game-play." Ever played an RPG? It's repetitive.
    As for the ability to purchase SP points to get bonus moves, 1) it's not game-breaking and 2) the option to get bonus moves aren't even that worth it until the end of the game.

As for the story, this isn't the "run of the mill" JRPG. Yes, you have to save the crystals, but it's rare to see a game such as Final Fantasy (Bravely Default being a spiritual successor) or other major RPGs offer a better plot twist than what was offered. Hint to those who haven't played - there's a clue in the title in both the Western release (Where the Fairy Flies) and the original version (Flying Fairy).
    Mar 14, 2014
    Not finished the game yet, but I absolutely love it. For the first time in a LONG time I'm actually playing a game that is challenging me! I love the character design and the voice acting is solid, too. Above all else though, the gameplay is simply fantastic. Don't miss out on this game!
  33. Mar 15, 2014
    This game is absolutely amazing! It is one of my favourite games of all time - if not my favourite! Now, it is a classic RPG style game. It is completely turn based and may seem slow to some people who do not typically like these styles of games. However, if RPGs are something that you love, then you will love this game! The characters are really interesting and you really get to know themThis game is absolutely amazing! It is one of my favourite games of all time - if not my favourite! Now, it is a classic RPG style game. It is completely turn based and may seem slow to some people who do not typically like these styles of games. However, if RPGs are something that you love, then you will love this game! The characters are really interesting and you really get to know them throughout all the cutscenes in the game (there are quite a few, actually). All the cutscenes are fully voiced as well, which is always a plus! The actual gameplay is super fun, and there are over like 30 different classes that you can play and level up all the way to 14 (which takes quite a while for each). When you get farther into the game, you can customize all the classes with different abilities that you have unlocked from others, to make a combination of classes. This is necessary in order to defeat harder bosses later in the game. However, this also means that you have to grind a little bit in the game as well - but in what RPG don't you have to grind in? Personally, I love grinding, so I played the game on hard/medium the whole time. If that is not your style, then you can put the game to Easy and just enjoy it for primarily the storyline - which is absolutely fantastic as well! This game makes grinding fun however, as you can speed up the battles to make them literally like 10 seconds long. It may seem like you can max out your classes really fast like this, but it does take a while. The game is just outstanding as a whole... definitely worth a playthrough... even if RPGs are not your thing! Expand
  34. Mar 16, 2014
    An incredible throwback to the long lost days of classic turn-based role-playing, Bravely Default mixes old with new and offers an innovative twist on the traditional Japanese RPG.

CORE GAME: Most players will notice a striking similarity to classic Final Fantasy titles, before the series lost its way. A rather traditional storyline in which four heroes have to save the world from a

CORE GAME:
    Most players will notice a striking similarity to classic Final Fantasy titles, before the series lost its way. A rather traditional storyline in which four heroes have to save the world from a mysterious darkness that's thrown the four pillars of the world out of balance--you've probably seen this many a time now. Turn-based combat and random encounters are present as well, as are an amnesiac, a lone survivor of a destroyed village, a band of evil forces, and airships. At heart, Bravely Default is a classic RPG. The combat system offers a few twists which will be discussed later, but it's nice to see a return to traditional Final Fantasy.

PRESENTATION:
    The game is lovely presented with beautiful hand-drawn art for the towns, world map, and dungeons. While perhaps not technically fantastic, the game looks very nice. Enemy designs are superb, right down to the last detail. And the quick series of CGI cutscenes at the beginning is nothing short of incredible. Dungeon design is good, though most of them are a little on the short side, while towns are richly detailed and designed. The characters are very well done, and the majority of the story is fully voiced. Voiceovers are generally very good, with a few grating moments. One downside however is the fact that most of the lines are read quite slow, so it takes a while to get through a scene if you're listening to every line. The game's writing is quite good as well, albeit with a few unnecessary suggestive innuendos, and some cheesy lines.

The best part of the game in my opinion is the soundtrack--an absolutely beautiful fully orchestrated score. Each of the four main characters has their own theme that plays when using a special move. The bass theme is incredible, as is the main theme. And the music during the final battle--think of a more epic version of "The War's End" from Kid Icarus Uprising, with a purely awesome finale. Even the random encounter music is great (though not as great as Etrian Odyssey IV's battle theme!). Speaking of random encounters, did I mention you have the option to set the encounter rate... or turn them off entirely? This is the feature JRPGs need, as they're made accessible to a declining audience of the genre. The difficulty can also be scaled, which is a good bonus for new or more experienced players.

GAMEPLAY:
    The game uses turn-based combat with a twist--the Brave and Default system, which is an excellent risk/reward mechanic that is both simple and deeply strategic. Selecting Default will boost the character's defence stats for one turn, while adding one Brave Point (BP) to that character. With an upper limit of 3 BP, a character can spend them to take multiple turns at once, but having negative BP means skipping turns until they recharge to 0 again. It's an ingenious system, one that adds entire layers of strategy to classic combat. And enemies can even use the system as well!

The job system is similar to that of older Final Fantasy titles, and it's seemless and much less of a hassle than the class system of say Fire Emblem Awakening. You unlock jobs by collecting asterisks from the bosses in the game, and you can switch a character's job at any time, saving their job level and unlocked abilities.

Another feature is the StreetPass component, which allows players to rebuild Norende village by collecting workers via StreetPass and assigning them to complete various tasks at the village. It's simple, but the rewards include quick access to items, new armour and weapons, as well as special moves which can be very useful.

Yes, this game DOES have microtransactions. This may offset some players, but they are rather useless. They allow you to buy "SP Drinks" for using a feature called Bravely Second, which lets you stop time during battle. It can come in handy, but you can always store up Sleep Points (SP; used for activating Second) by leaving the system in sleep mode. So no, you do not need to pay Square any more money to beat the game.

OVERALL:
    Bravely Default is a special game. It may not have the most inspired story or characters, but it's a traditional yet new RPG; bravely default.

+ Excellent art, all hand-drawn in a gorgeous style
    + Soundtrack is simply amazing
    + Story and characters are entertaining, if traditional
    + Difficulty options make it accessible to anyone
    + Clever gameplay mechanics
    + Throwback to older Final Fantasy--this is FF done right
    / Impressive amount of content but may drag on for some
    / Twists in the latter half are ingenious, but may annoy some players with the "gauntlet" section
    / Dialogue is mostly good, but has several slip-ups
    - Dungeon design is too simplistic
    - Microtransactions are there

35. Mar 18, 2014
    Yes, the second half of Bravely Default is not as inspired as the first half - but that does not make it any less challenging or fun. Full of twists and turns, Bravely Default will soon have you questioning everything that is going on. Is the villain truly evil, or do they merely serve different ideals?

The graphics are among the most beautiful that the 3DS has to offer, and the

The graphics are among the most beautiful that the 3DS has to offer, and the soundtrack is a masterpiece - you'll want to use headphones to truly grasp the beauty of the sound. The battle system is traditional, but the new "brave" and "default" commands give it enough spice to maintain interest, and the wide variety of job classes and battle options mean that every battle is unique.

One last piece of advice: take the time for 100% completion. Each side quest has an impact on the characters and the story, providing essential facts and information about the history of Luxendarc and the events that are occurring that you might otherwise miss.

Bravely Default is as close to perfect as it gets.
  36. Mar 19, 2014
    Picked up Bravely Default last week with my 3DS, I’ve spent about 14 hours playing it, and I love it. And here’s a significant reason why: the Grind. The Grind is addicting and fun to play because of the loot you accumulate, the progression of your party (both levels and job levels/skills), and because of the robust job system. BD makes it easy to adjust the Grind to your liking, byPicked up Bravely Default last week with my 3DS, I’ve spent about 14 hours playing it, and I love it. And here’s a significant reason why: the Grind. The Grind is addicting and fun to play because of the loot you accumulate, the progression of your party (both levels and job levels/skills), and because of the robust job system. BD makes it easy to adjust the Grind to your liking, by increasing or decreasing the encounter rate and by being able to auto-play your battles at 4x speed, speeding things up, which I think is this game’s numero uno selling point (or should be). The meta-game involving Norende is also a gleeful time sink. Other reviewers have said that it feels “tacked on”, but I love it. There’s a lot of stuff going on in that mini-game. The way it makes you check in often reminds me of the perversity of farm games, and it’s an addicting and worth-while segment of the game.
    The story is sh*t, the voice acting is BAD, REAL BAD, except of course for that one guy who sounds like Mr. Slave in South Park. Most times I skip the corny Party Chats and Events that are ubiquitous throughout the game. They’re just so goddamn boring. The graphics are charming and must suffice, as with the music. I like to Grind, I love old-school JRPGs, I love the Final Fantasy Series, and I love this game.
    - Blonde McGuinn
  37. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is what the most recent Final Fantasy should play like ! It's using the classic battle system from the most beloved RPG serie with the great job system from Final Fantasy V. There is a lot of configuration that allow you to play like you want to play (change combat speed, change encounter rate (even set to zero), auto combat for faster grinding ...) instead of trying to dictateThis game is what the most recent Final Fantasy should play like ! It's using the classic battle system from the most beloved RPG serie with the great job system from Final Fantasy V. There is a lot of configuration that allow you to play like you want to play (change combat speed, change encounter rate (even set to zero), auto combat for faster grinding ...) instead of trying to dictate how you should play (like in the recent FF XIII series with level cap, no exp or gil at end of combat etc..).

The first fourth chapters are a 10/10 but the last four are more of a 6. Since the last chapters can be done really quickly (2-3hours vs 50hrs for the first fourth for me) , i give this game an 8.5 .
  38. Apr 4, 2014
    i liked the game but i had few problems
    1. the boss battles used to offen
    2. i didnt like game's multplayer i would love to see it do a take turn co op instead of player has leave after the turn over

it was overall fun and idea of jobs are grate as well and rpg fin too
  39. Apr 8, 2014
    I have to say, this game is amazing. The battle system is superb-- not too simple to bore the hardcore gamers, and not too complex to confuse the more casual gamers. The storyline itself could use some work (the first portion of the game felt incredibly rushed, in my opinion) but it's honestly an incredibly fun game to play. I'll say this, though: it almost feels as if the femaleI have to say, this game is amazing. The battle system is superb-- not too simple to bore the hardcore gamers, and not too complex to confuse the more casual gamers. The storyline itself could use some work (the first portion of the game felt incredibly rushed, in my opinion) but it's honestly an incredibly fun game to play. I'll say this, though: it almost feels as if the female characters are reduced to slabs of meat at times-- some mild, and usually subtle sexist remarks/stereotyping, and some suggestive comments-- which was, in my opinion, one of the game's major cons.

Aside from that, I personally would recommend this game to anyone.
  40. Jun 18, 2014
    In an ages-overdue delivery, Square-Enix finds dignity and declares not to have forgotten what a good J-RPG is. Surprisingly well intact, Bravely Default attentively caters to difficulty mongers and story-lovers alike. Rivaling or topping previous great J-RPG works among the expansive DS library, problems are few and achievements are high.
  41. Apr 13, 2014
    This probably isn’t the first time you’ve seen the name Bravely Default. If you haven’t then I would assume you are probably sharing the same first impression that we all had: “WHAT DOES THAT NAME EVEN MEAN?!” I know; the developers couldn’t have picked a more awkward and confusing name if they tried. Despite the strange name, it has done remarkably well in the West. The game receivedThis probably isn’t the first time you’ve seen the name Bravely Default. If you haven’t then I would assume you are probably sharing the same first impression that we all had: “WHAT DOES THAT NAME EVEN MEAN?!” I know; the developers couldn’t have picked a more awkward and confusing name if they tried. Despite the strange name, it has done remarkably well in the West. The game received overall positive reviews from critics, and even topped the spectacular launch sales of Fire Emblem: Awakening last year. You’re probably asking, what’s the big deal with Bravely Default? Why is it so great? Find out in my review!

In most RPGs, your party starts out small and slowly grows to somewhat of an army, but the developers decided to keep things small. In this game, you assume control of 4 characters. All four adventures come from different backgrounds and cultures, but are forced to unite due to the severity of the events that transpire. Tiz is a shepherd from a town that was literally swallowed up by the ground. His friends and family were all lost in the destruction; he was the sole survivor. Agnés is on a quest to bring power back to the four crystals, and is accompanied by an energetic fairy girl. Ringabel is an insomniac with a book that supposedly predicts the future. He’s also quite fond of the ladies. Edea actually met the caravan while trying to take Agnés captive on her ship. Once she realizes that she’s the one working for the bad guys, she joins your cause. This is only the beginning…

Gameplay is the main attraction, and is what makes this game stand out from the rest. Bravely Default combines the traditional JRPG formula with some game-changing elements. You are able to tailor your gameplay experience to your liking. That means difficulty settings, enemy encounter ratio, and more are customizable – and at any point in the game. This makes the game very welcome to newcomers, as well as RPG veterans.

When exploring the game’s world, you will never see enemies just waltzing around on the map. Instead, you enter battle via random encounters. Battle selections are essentially the same as other turn-based games, with two big twists. Brave and Default. That’s where the game’s strange title comes in, for those of you still wondering! Selecting Brave lets you take an extra turn during battle. You can take up to four extra turns at a time with Brave with all of your characters. If you play this way, the character you used will have to sit out of battle for the next three battles. This is totally fine for one-turn battles, but during longer battles, you can’t afford to take the risk of making yourself vulnerable. That’s where Default comes in. Select Default during battle to skip your turn and gain Brave points (BP). When opting to Default, you will be less vulnerable to enemy attacks. Once you get enough BP, you can unleash your multiple attacks on your foes one by one. This is an amazing feeling when done successfully, and it makes the entire battle seem worthwhile. Well done, Silicon Studio. Such a simple concept, yet so satisfying.

Did you know that this game is a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light on DS? The art style is pretty similar, and even the character models and enemies share similar attributes. While the graphics aren’t anything out of the ordinary, the hand-painted backdrops feel as if they were taken right out of a storybook. When you stop moving, some locations will zoom out to give you a bird’s eye view of the entire area. It would be nice to have an option to toggle between the views while moving, but it still is great to see these pieces of art in their full glory. Menus are user-friendly for the most part, with the exception of few out of place selections.

I have some very mixed feelings about the game’s voice acting. I’m glad it’s there, but I have to be honest and say that it is second-rate at best. For example, some characters deliver their lines rather slowly. Because of this, I found myself getting in the habit of just reading the text and skipping to the next line before waiting for them to finish. It’s unfortunate, too, because the story is pretty charming for the most part! Music is very reminiscent of any traditional JRPG. With that being said, it’s somewhat forgettable, but still fits the game. Although you don’t have to pay too much attention to detail to notice some blemishes in this game’s presentation, the good outweighs the bad in the end.

N3DS_BD_Screens_07Features

There are a ton of extra features aside from the main game that will enhance your experience. SP, an entirely new concept, allows you to stop time during a battle and deal extra damage to your temporarily frozen enemies. However, these points are obtained at a cost. One way to gain SP is to leave the game on and put your 3DS in sleep mode for 8 hours. If you’re
  42. Apr 21, 2014
    Bravely Default is a paradox. Much of the game is incredibly innovative and fresh, such as the battle system, the writing, and especially the story (which takes the classic FF plot and completely turns it on its head.) Yet at the same time, it also clings endearingly to its roots in older games like FFIII, with its classic leveling and job systems, as well as the core overworld+dungeonBravely Default is a paradox. Much of the game is incredibly innovative and fresh, such as the battle system, the writing, and especially the story (which takes the classic FF plot and completely turns it on its head.) Yet at the same time, it also clings endearingly to its roots in older games like FFIII, with its classic leveling and job systems, as well as the core overworld+dungeon system that has been always mainstay of oldschool RPGs.

I can't emphasize how important this juxtaposition of old and new is to the game's core. We have chibi characters with high pitched voices... making veiled sexual jokes and addressing issues such as business ethics and prostitution. The game opens with beautiful, symphonic music as one would expect from this genre. Then the rest of the soundtrack is full of electric guitars and head pounding drum beats. One could say that BD is a game that doesn't know what kind of style it wants to go for. But the developers have somehow managed to keep the game feeling cohesive, which is a feat in and of itself. The result is a truly fascinating and unique game.

Moving into more specifics. I loved the graphical style of the game, which features cute, deformed characters on gorgeous backdrops. It works very well on the 3DS. The soundtrack is... outstanding. I can't even think of a good word to describe the score of this game, from its use of theme and variation to its huge variety of musical styles and instruments, all of which are executed perfectly.

The gameplay is similarly well executed, if not a bit predictable at times. The sheer variety of strategic options in BD's battle system keeps battles interesting, and inclusions such as a fast forward button are welcomed for grinding sessions. Speaking of grinding, the overall difficulty of the game is very well scaled, and the final boss in particular pulls no punches, being able to OHKO a party that doesn't play defensively.

All in all, BD is a standout title in the 3DS's already stellar library. Why did it lose 1 point from me? For me, it really comes down to the last 10 or so hours of the game, which progress very slowly, and feel like a bit of a cheap shot for extending the game's length. Then again, this is a 50-60 hour game, and by the time one reaches the aforementioned portion, the suspense in the plot should be enough to propel him/her to the end. Nevertheless, I felt it to be a slight blemish on this otherwise amazing game.

I struggled to think of a way to close this review and sum up BD... But I really can't. There's just too much going on in this package to tie up and present. Go play it!
  43. Apr 25, 2014
    To be direct, this game satisfied an innate desire to play an evolved yet similar old-school Final Fantasy game from my youth. It may go under a different title, but I assure you this is a fantastic throwback to Squaresoft's jrpg heyday from the SNES/PS1 era.

Graphics: The first thing you'll notice about the game is how it takes full advantage of the 3DS capabilities, offering

Graphics:

The first thing you'll notice about the game is how it takes full advantage of the 3DS capabilities, offering beautiful environments and an excellent 3D effect. The first time you see the zoom-out effect you'll understand what I mean. The graphics stay true throughout, and for my part I never got bored. The character designs do follow a more cutesy type approach, but not to the detriment of the game. I found myself appreciating the artstyle, despite having really disliked the DS remake of FFII (IV) character models. Silicon Studio, the developer of the game (it was published by Square-Enix in Japan, and by Nintendo of America for the rest of the world), shows an incredible amount of artistic talent throughout the game.

One thing I could have used more of, however, were extra FMV cutscenes.

Gameplay:

The most important gameplay element that sets this game apart from your typical turn-based rpg is that there is a option to either attack, Brave, of Default. The Brave option allows you command an extra attack, up to a maximum of 4. The Default option allows you to store up Brave points, also serving as a 'guard' like function, reducing physical damages taken from enemies. At later stages in the game, learning the battle system and how to properly use it becomes essential to beating some of the bigger and meaner bosses. It is an excellent system, and one of my favorite parts of the game.

The class system is fun and interesting, with new and never seen before jobs that are creative and fun. I never felt compelled to max out all of the classes, and some are far more useful than others. I was also satisfied with the 'special moves' that characters could get after completing a number of actions. These special moves could be customized, which meant that they could be tailored to attack the weaknesses of certain bosses, allowing for more engaging loadout procedures.

The game does not offer much up in terms of a battle arena or extra gameplay options, which in my opinion could have helped when the game started to feel slightly repetitive.

Sound:

The music in BD is excellent. I won't go into too much detail, but the tracks are varied and catchy, without ever getting on your nerves (even after your 30th dungeon crawl to one of the same tunes).

The voice acting, however, I had some trouble digesting. I found both the English and Japanese voice acting only served to make the characters feel more childish and less accessible from an emphatic point of view. I very quickly turned it off and read the text instead. Some people seemed to enjoy the voicework, so I suppose this is purely objective.

Story:

This is where I'm sort of mixed, opinion-wise. I didn't love the story, but I didn't hate it either. It was a competent attempt at delivering a kind of scifi yet not storyline. Where it failed was in the character interactions, and more importantly, in keeping a steady and focused sense of narrative progression throughout. It would oftentimes jump back and forth, repeat cutscenes and dialogue exchanges, and resorted to some lazy corner cutting. It is not only noticeable, but disappointing. I honestly felt like the premise for the story was solid and even interesting, but its potential was let down by its execution.

Hopes for Bravely Second:

- I'd like to see more of those gorgeous environments and excellent 3DS battle stages.
    - Keep the music coming!
    - A more developed storyline, more focused on delivery than relying on its concept alone. Pay more attention to the character interactions, make the characters a bit more lively and less reliant on their stereotypical personalities.
    - Don't make me repeat the second part of the game 5 times, please. Extending the playtime in a game for the sake of adding bulk is annoying. I put 98h into this game, when it could easily have ended around the 60h mark.

Thanks for reading!
  44. Apr 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic! Just the fresh of breath air that JRPGs needed. While somewhat cliche in some regards (amnesia, anyone?), it's the actual game mechanics and vibrant personalities of the main characters that saves the day. You are a Warrior of Light on your way to revive Luxendarc's crystals with a helpful cryst-fairy to lead the way! What an adventure!

My favourite aspect of Bravely Default was the Jobs system. Being someone who loved Final Fantasy 5, I was extremely pleased to see its return. What I particularly liked was how you could pair it with another job class for very interesting strategies. Pairing up the right classes can completely revitalize your team, keep everyone's BP above 0, deal 9999 damage *per attack* (try braving four times to instantly take out bosses), and so forth. Yet the classes are so iconic it has retained the old school feel.

Ever feel like battles drag or you're level grinding? Bravely Default has you covered with a super fast forward option to speed the battle up and an auto-control option where it copies your last few moves. It makes grinding much less painful.

Story-wise it was just like the classic Final Fantasy games. It does get convoluted a bit towards the end, but hey, it's a Square-Enix game and considered a Final Fantasy reboot, what else was there to expect? However at a certain point, the pacing drops like crazy and it's like replaying the game not once... not twice... not even three times. FOUR times. What the hell? Granted it progresses the story in other fascinating, wonderful ways but couldn't there have been a better way to do it?

All in all, despite the blips, it's a very fun, entertaining and solid game. I'm excited to see where the series goes next!
  45. May 2, 2014
    This is the same kind of Japanese RPG experience older gamers will remember from the SNES or PSOne, and I say this in the most complimentary way possible. Everything is here: an apotheotic world-saving plot, quirky characters, turn-based combat and loads of innovative features that should please old fans and new players alike.

You command a party of four characters with different

You command a party of four characters with different backgrounds: good-boy Tiz, who has witnessed the destruction of his home village; Agnès, vestal of wind, an important religious figure; Ringabel, a mysterious womanizer who has lost his memory; and Edea, daughter to one of the main antagonists. They are filled with personality and there's a lot of character development through the story. Some dialogue sections and cutscenes overstay their welcome, but there are many genuinely interesting moments, usually featuring Ringabel and one of his antics.

Arguably, the best feature in display is the job system. The game has a very Mega Man-like way of getting new abilities: after they are defeated, some bosses give you their "job asterisk", which allows you to assign that job to any of your characters. Aside from their current job, each character may keep a number of abilities gotten by their previous ones, leading to some great opportunities to mix-and-match in search of the perfect combination.

There's also great innovation in the turn-based combat with the "Brave" and "Default" abilities: the former lets you take turns in advance in order to act more times on a single sitting, while the latter allows you to "save" action opportunities for later. It works perfectly, and adds quite a few layers of strategy to the tried-and-true formula. Another noteworthy feature is the rebuilding of Norende village, a simple and cool real-time strategy subgame that gives you access to more special abilities, weapons and items. It's also worth noting that the game features microtransactions, but don't worry: they are largely useless, and you can get everything in the game without spending a single extra dime.

The story is your typical JRPG fare, very reminiscent of earlier Final Fantasy games, and as such isn't terribly innovative. It's usually interesting enough to keep you playing, featuring a lot of twists and turns, and overall avoiding simplistic manichaeism. The world is well-built, but that still doesn't justify the humongous amount of backtracking forced on the player in the late game, which is one of the game's main flaws. The story keeps getting more intriguing precisely at that time, however, which will be a good reason for most players to persevere.

Filled with content and offering a potentially huge main campaign (at over 100 hours, it is by far my most-played game on the 3DS right now), Bravely Default is a tight package that should keep any RPG fan happy. It's Square Enix going back to its roots and doing more of what they do best.

Rating: 9.0
  46. May 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My favourite thing about this game is that you can change the game difficulty and the encounter percentage. It is very similar to Final Fantasy but it's a little better. This game is very good except for the repeating features such as when the 4 characters awake the crystals (which is an in-game feature) over and over again. Also,, the voice acting in English isn't too good but.. I'm okay with it. I would recommend it to anyone 10+. Expand
  47. May 27, 2014
    Story: 10/10
    - Intriguing story, always aware of its elements and progression.
    Gameplay: 8/10 - The Brave and Default mechanic during battles makes turn-based fights more vivid and intense. Art: 9/10 - Stylized and charismatic. Characters: 9/10 - Substantial character growth throughout the game, it makes the player wonder about everyone's backstory and relationship to each other.
    Story: 10/10
    - Intriguing story, always aware of its elements and progression.
    Gameplay: 8/10
    Art: 9/10
    - Stylized and charismatic.
    Characters: 9/10
    Sound: 9/10
    - Enjoyable soundtracks; each playable character has her/his own special move theme.
    Enjoyment: 10/10
    - I had a lot of fun playing this game from start to finish.
    The intricate story made the game's characters fascinating and amusing.
  48. May 27, 2014
    Very good Square Enix! Back to the basics. I couldnt beg enough for a traditional, turn based rpg. Now all they need is a console game, and ill be in love again =) This delivers this and much more. Story is awesome, job class intergration with each character plus the more friends you have, the more benefits you get from them. 100+ hour game to do everything. A def play for 3ds owners andVery good Square Enix! Back to the basics. I couldnt beg enough for a traditional, turn based rpg. Now all they need is a console game, and ill be in love again =) This delivers this and much more. Story is awesome, job class intergration with each character plus the more friends you have, the more benefits you get from them. 100+ hour game to do everything. A def play for 3ds owners and rpg lovers. Expand
  49. Jun 5, 2014
    Great game that harkens back to older Final Fantasy before it went to all flash and little substance. A Final Fantasy game just without the name. Probably more FF than 13 I'd say. The only minor flaw in the game is its ending (at least if you are going for the True Ending). The last 2 chapters are nothing but a big long boss run. You'll probably want it done by end of Chapter 6 rather thanGreat game that harkens back to older Final Fantasy before it went to all flash and little substance. A Final Fantasy game just without the name. Probably more FF than 13 I'd say. The only minor flaw in the game is its ending (at least if you are going for the True Ending). The last 2 chapters are nothing but a big long boss run. You'll probably want it done by end of Chapter 6 rather than 8. Still at least play it until chapter 6 and then perhaps find the “not so true ending” and be done with it.

Pros:
    1) Great gameplay
    2) Excellent customizations (difficulty and random encounters can be set on the fly)
    3) Great combat / Brave / Default tactics
    4) Good class customizations

Cons:
    1) Last 2 chapters
    2) Cheesy (even daft) main characters who can't think logically... (well the game tries to justify it but its pretty obvious they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Conclusion:
    Get this game if you have any small interest in RPGs especially JPRGS. Actually … you probably already bought it if you are a fan of JRPGs. Everyone else should give it a try. Wished they would make a proper console (not handled version) or at least vita with better graphics (cant blame the game as the hardware limited this)
  50. Jun 17, 2014
    This is the best Japanese RPG ever. It has the best turn based combat ever and a great cast of characters. Better than any game on Playstation Vita. Get it now.
  51. Jul 7, 2014
    Okay, first off. This game, is my favorite Video Game of all time, and it is very hard to even get on my top 10 list, so you imagine how amazing this game is for me. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for RPGs, but this is more than a typical RPG.

First off, the Visuals, absolutely gorgeous. There are a lot of minute details that are so fun to notice, such as noticing Anchiem has no earth underneath it, and is just hanging from its sides. There isn't much to say about the visuals except for the fact that they're absolutely stunning.

The music. While it never stood out to me, it is still a very nice soundtrack that I wouldn't mind purchasing at all. Also, the Voice Acting is very well done. Anyone who says otherwise... Mrgrgr...

The story... If I did explain even the first 30 minutes, I'd go way over the 5000 character limit. So, I'll explain just the intro. You are greeted by a little fairy, and she asks you to go on a journey, and to never leave. Not much choice with this game, or... At all... She assumes you say yes and thanks you, and you are introduced to our four main characters through the most beautiful cutscene in gaming. You see a Girl, wielding a sword, and you hear her explain herself. "I am Edea Lee" are the first things you hear. She is battling a Master of the sword and loses, she then is given a blade by the Swordsmaster after hers is broken, and then sent off. She is the daughter of the Templar, but you don't quite know who that is until later on. You then are introduced to a man in a city, he says he has no memory, but says his name is "Ringabel", which I greatly enjoy the pun of, he is introduced as a "ladies' man". You then see a girl in a temple. "I am Angés Oblige." You hear. She then says she is the "Vestal of Wind", whatever that means. (You find out later.) She is praying to a Green Crystal. (The Wind Crystal, it's a Final Fantasy-esque game, what did you expect?) Then it turns a black and seems to explode. You hear "Protect the Vestal!" and all the Torches lighting the area go black. You then are introduced to a young man, "My name is Tiz Arrior." you hear. He lives with hid Brother, Til, in the village of Norende, living a calm, peaceful life. Suddenly, the city starts being consumed by an abyss forming from the inside out. Tiz and Til run, but Til falls, Tiz manages to grab his hand and attempts to pull him up. Til says to his brother, "Let me go! We'll both fall at this rate!" and Tiz still keeps trying, but he loses his grip, and his brother falls... An amazing way to introduce you to the characters, huh? The rest of the story gets even better, especially with all the side-quests giving you bonus parts of the story (along with new jobs).

The Gameplay is where the game shines its brightest, so, I'll start with the selling point of the game, the Brave and Default system. You have Brave Points, every action requires one Brave Point and you get a Brave Point at the end of a turn. You can use Brave up to three times per turn, allowing for a maximum of 4 actions per character. Default is the guard of this game, but not only that, but it doesn't cost Brave Points to use, so you can accumulate Brave Points over time. You can also Brave from the beginning and go into the Negative, but until you're back out of negative BP, you can't act. Also, there's SP, which is BP on steroids. You can accumulate SP by putting your DS in Sleep Mode while Playing, and every 8 hours, you get 1 SP. s with BP, you can get a maximum of 3 SP, and also go into the negatives. What makes SP so special is that you can use it at any time. Also, while attacking with SP, you can go over the damage limit of 9,999 and go all the way up to 999,999 damage in one attack, which is easy in no way, shape, or form. Also is the Job system. These are the incentives to doing side quests, unless you want the story like me. You can get ~9 jobs through the main story, but with side quests you can get all the others for a total of 24 each character can have 2 jobs at the same time, one primary, the other secondary. The primary job grants the look of the character and a passive ability and can level up. The secondary only has the battle commands for that job. You can switch jobs at any time, allowing for a lot of customization. Along with attack commands, when a job levels up you can unlock a support ability, which is an equip-able passive skill. You start with one support slot and unlock 4 more throughout the story. Some abilities take up more than one slot. A support skill can be used regardless of what job you are, whether you are using the job that it is from or not. The entire job system allows for so much character customization and I love it for that. There's also an equipment system and item system, generic Final Fantasy stuff. But the equipment is more like Dragon Quest 9's equipment system, minus effecting the character's look (minus costumes).

So, yeah. My favorite game, and why. Do yourself a favor and buy it.
  52. Aug 19, 2014
    When I first got the game, I was a bit shaky because of the odd title. So when I started playing it, I was amazed. Each town has wonderful art and the battle system is very unique. It has many different jobs and abilities, making no team the same, and adds a lot of variety.
  53. Aug 23, 2014
    Game: Bravely Default
    Genre: RPG
    Developer: Squareenix/Silicon Studios System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Total Score: 95/100 Value Score: 9.5/10 • Story: 8/10 • Characters: 8/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 10/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Colorful cast of characters +Very Original Storyline +Game
    Game: Bravely Default
    Genre: RPG
    Developer: Squareenix/Silicon Studios
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Total Score: 95/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 10/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Colorful cast of characters
    +Very Original Storyline
    +Game plays like classic Final Fantasy series
    +A lot of great aspects from the FF series such as the items, equipment, magic spells, enemy cameos, summon cameos and story elements
    +Job system is like a mixture of FF3/5's job system with FF9's leveling up system
    +A lot of customization such as changing enemy encounter rate, difficulty, speed of battles
    +A lot of social player features such as the ability to send your skills over to a friend
    +Unique mini game where you can rebuild Norende town which can yield to powerful items and extra boss battles with unique monsters
    +New Game+ is included with more than 1 ending
    +Well designed environments and overall design
    +Great sound effects and a fantastic sound track
    +A lot of replayability and length in the overall game

Cons
    -Some of the characters seem generic or just too annoying
    -Storyline builds up great but somewhat becomes repetitive second half of the game with few people may hating this aspect although it brings somewhat of a few differences
  54. Sep 10, 2014
    Bravely Default is a fantastic game. A traditional jRPG in nature, it also brings its own distinct style to the genre, and is sure to please fans of older Final Fantasy games. The story revolves around four youngsters brought together to protect the world from darkness. It's effective and engaging, although it does get repetitive in the latter half of the game. The soundtrack is excellent,Bravely Default is a fantastic game. A traditional jRPG in nature, it also brings its own distinct style to the genre, and is sure to please fans of older Final Fantasy games. The story revolves around four youngsters brought together to protect the world from darkness. It's effective and engaging, although it does get repetitive in the latter half of the game. The soundtrack is excellent, sporting many beautiful tracks. Bravely Default also has some of the nicest-looking graphics on the 3DS. The characters are chibi-style, and do not look harsh against the backdrops, containing some of the most beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds and locales I have ever seen. The gameplay is turn-based and in the same vein as older Final Fantasy games, with an extensive Job system allowing for great character customization. The uniqueness of its gameplay comes in the "Brave" and "Default" actions, which allow for stacking of commands in a single turn to decimate foes. For want of criticism, the game feels stretched and overlong, bosses have sudden and huge difficulty spikes, and the voice-acting can grate. If you're willing to overlook this, though, you're lloking at one of the best jRPGs in recent memory. Expand
  55. Nov 4, 2014
    Beautiful game art, amazing soundtrack. Great for anyone who loves the classic, turn-based RPG feel. Large selection of jobs to choose from, amazing story line. What more can anyone ask for?
  56. Nov 8, 2014
    This would be a 10 if it weren't for the second half. Simply a must play game for JRPG fans. The story and production is perfect in this game. Play it if you like JRPGS
  57. Nov 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What can I say about this game that made buy a 2DS just to play it? Just that it was worth it, the only thing that is a low point in the game is to reawake the crystals a lot of times, but story is good, the characters are charismatics and I never got tired of the gameplay Expand
  58. Dec 18, 2014
    Considering how awful the Final Fantasy 13 series has been, I was afraid Bravely Default would be yet another disappointment from Square Enix. I am happy to say my fears were unfounded. Bravely Default is an amazing RPG that channels the best of the Final Fantasy series without feeling like it is standing on its shoulders.

It’s as if Squeenix drafted a team of long time Final Fantasy

It’s as if Squeenix drafted a team of long time Final Fantasy fans and let them put whatever they wanted into the game (except the name Final Fantasy in the title). I went in expecting a shallow time-waster that would feel like a FF5 clone. This is not true at all. My biggest surprise is how much I enjoyed the story and grew to like the characters. The overall tone is more lighthearted than, say, FF7 but B.D. still manages to deliver a fun narrative that keeps you playing. This includes surprisingly sharp dialogue and genuinely funny exchanges (such as Edea’s pronunciation of “Mrgrgr!” and her frequent bickering with Ringabel).

The narrative is not the only thing that will keep you playing, though. Everything else is great, too, from the voice acting to the music, visuals & gameplay. The whole brave/default system is a brilliant idea which breathes new life into turn-based combat. It goes very well with the large number of jobs you can unlock.

I could go on for quite a long time naming all the features I love about this game, but suffice it to say that you will like it if you are an old school Final Fantasy fan or a RPG fan in general. If you already have a 3DS it is a must play and if you don’t have one and like RPGs, you should think long & hard about getting a 3DS. If Squeenix is going to continue sinking the FF series into the toilet, then B.D. is a wonderful start for a new series that can be its successor.

1. Apr 14, 2014
    It sounds like a lot, and it is, but not in an overwhelming way but in a fantastic, three in the morning, I can’t stop playing this game kind of way. When it all comes together and you destroy a boss that gave you troubles just a few job levels ago, it feels great.
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    It's got a lovely fresh coat of paint, but underneath that Bravely Default is the same old thing.
  3. Feb 16, 2014
    Bravely Deafult is the best game from Square-Enix in a long time and a must for fans of classic Final Fantasy. The battle and work system, as well as the history and the graphics is natural progresses of a gamemaking many deemed nostalgic.