6.0

1. Jun 23, 2011
    This game was a huge surprise, because I thought it was just going to be shovelware based on all the different cartoons in the game. After six hours deep into the storyline, I realized that Punch Time Explosion was not an attempt for the creators to make a quick buck. The game has great production value, great gameplay, and awesome wi-fi multiplayer (even though my roommates are better than me).

We used to play a LOT of SSBB, and when we started playing Punch Time, it brought back some great memories. The game has a good range of characters that are nicely balanced. I actually like that the makers of the game followed some of the rules that Smash did. Your damage percentage goes up during a fight, which will make you fly farther off the arenas. The characters have Smash attacks that can be timed to do a lot of damage. I wish Smash was on 3DS, but since it's not, you can at least play Punch Time. It's easily the best smash fighter out there on 3DS.

They definitely chose the best characters from Cartoon Network. Samurai Jack and the Powerpuff Girls are probably the best fighters, in my opinion. However, my roommates tend to use Dexter, Grim, Ben10, and Numbuh One the most. You'll have to play the game to find your best characters.

The reason why I'm giving the game a 10, is because it's a brand new title on a brand new console, and offers quality art and gameplay. I was getting bored with playing Street Fighter, because I had already played it to death on 360. Of all the original titles for 3DS, this is the best one.
  2. Feb 6, 2012
    I got it for the xbox 360 and the games pretty lame. I was excited too bc I couldn't find the game anywhere and when I finally did, I was disappointed. it's just like super smash brothers except it doesn't have any qualities that made SSB such a hit. the fights are pretty boring, the story mode voices are redundant and lame, it basically doesn't keep my attention. I had some hope for the game but that's now all out the window. if you really want to try this game, I recommend renting it at best Expand
  3. Jun 28, 2011
    A decent game. if you are a cartoon network fan, you will love it. The Gameplay is alright (Not even close to Smash Bros.) . The 3-d aspect is fantastic and adds to the game. The main problem though, is that this is the most glitchy game have ever played. You can't go through 30 minutes without the screen freezing up in story mode. The game was a let down for me. Without the glitches, would've given this game a 7, but sadly the glitches make an otherwise good game... suck. Expand
  4. Jul 3, 2013
    Before I think I over exaggerated the positive aspects in this game, good bosses, and good graphics. Now it is time to take into account the bad things: -Terrible Music, -Short length to beat the whole game, -Atrocious and outdated character selection, -Almost retarded AI, -No Online, -No Street pass, -Imperfect Precision in Controls, -Similarity in Move sets, -Bad Cut scenes in Story Mode, -Similar level design for Story Mode, -Inconvenient menus, -Imperfect hit detection, -Glitches that cause the 3DS to restart (3 times, even; this has never happened in another 3DS game before), -Tediousness within the game -Overall, a lack of polish that should have been considered during its creation. If you know what's good for you, consider this before buy this game (most likely if off eBay or from Walmart). Overall, 0.8/10, the worst 3DS game I have ever played Expand
  5. May 11, 2013
    my review is lengthy, but covers the whole game plot. the game is similar to SSBB, but the controls are slippery at first. i've beaten the whole game on my wii just to get through those long and hard stages, and possibly the hard bosses. as for the voice actings, i give it an e- for the terrible voice actings such as dexter's new voice, grim's and johnny bravo's. ok, here are the things that the PTE could be improved in the sequel on the wii u, ps4, PS vita, xbox 720, and the 3DS:

dee dee could be a playable character portrayed by kat cressida, little suzy as a playable character portrayed by mae whitman (hint: the character model is from johnny bravo season 1) lee lee as a playable character voiced by kath soucie, manaphy and victini as an unlockable character for 300 points portrayed by michele knotz and grey delisle, and mawile (a female one) as a starter character portrayed by tara strong. also the cartoon network PTE 2's bosses are in the following example:

kyurem (both white and black formes) and red genesect, dark vegan, boogey and creeper, charmcaster, and both the remote control and it's twin ultra remote (sends out 20 enemies).

the assists would be of the following example:
    mindy (billy and mandy, she saps you for damage when latched on), meloetta (her singing confuses the opponent, then damages you in it's aria forme), dukey test (bites and rams into you), and numbuh 362 (hugs you, and saps you for medium-high damage).

ok, finally, lets wrap this sequel up with the controls of the following example.
    mawile's normal smash is a quick focus punch that inflicts around 37-48 damage, and her signature PTE is a combination of swords dance and belly drum, and gains invincibility for 1 minute. and when her PTE is activated, and when she attacks anyone (including boss enemies), the enemies and bosses get damaged really significantly.

and that's how the upcoming punch time explosion sequel would be made one day.

other words, i give this game a d minus for some flaws and voice actings.
  6. Nov 17, 2011
    After reading many of the negative reviews online and from Game Informer which gave it a 4 out of 10.... But when my gamefly account started up again I decided to pick it up. I am about 2 hours through the story mode. The game is pretty solid with good platforming(despite what others say) and combat that isnt as polished as it could be but good enough. The graphics are good and the 3d does make it look great and it has no frame drops. The roster is made of a variety of characters and each with their own move sets. The story itself is solid and does a pretty good job at changing the scenes and characters. The amount of different scenes is very good and varies from cartoon to cartoon. multi player is also a plus since it has Download play, vs cpu and vs player local. The only real error I can find in this game is the terrible voice acting and sounds in general. While some characters do sound fine most of them seem off even with earphones. The explosions and other noises tend to be low quality and the only thing that didnt hurt my ears was the narrator,but this problem can be easily fixed by turning your volume off. So overall this is a very solid 3DS brawling and will help kill off your bordom till better games come out and eventually they bring smash brothers to the 3DS(it has been announced). Expand
  7. Jun 23, 2011
    If you ever wanted a smash bros game but with different characters other than nintendo, then this is the game. The gameplay feels exactly like smash but in my opinion movement control of the character is even better. Every character has their unique traits, speed, attacks, movement, so you can find a character that matches your style of gameplay. The graphics are right at the top of 3ds games, it has a lot of detail and animating stuff going on which some 3ds games do not. The music matches each cartoon level you play in and the end song on credits is hilarious. The game in general has a lot of the CN charm and funny stuff. The story mode is really good with a great story behind it and i cant stop playing the multiplayer battle mode. when friends come over thats all we do is battle it up against each other. I havnt put this game down since i got it. Get this is game if you like smash bros type of game and want a great story mode as well! Expand
  8. Jun 23, 2011
    As an old time Cartoon Network show fan (especially Dexter and Power Puff Girls) this game really hits the spot. It comes with a great single player experience that combines fun game play and combat with platform elements and mini-games that make this feel refreshing and fun from start to end. Further if you have some friends around it lets you play up to 4 players Wi-fi and lets you battle it all out. It is a plus if you are familiar with Super Smash controls as this game mimics those and it will give you and edge fighting your friends (or AI if you have no one around) or just beating up enemies in single player. Expand
  9. Nov 26, 2011
    Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion is an Average Game That is A Super Smash Bros.Clone That is Okay. Emphasis on Okay. It is Fun on Battle Mode, Hard on Story Mode and Packs a decent Super Smash Bros. Clone, 7 Out of 10, 71.4% Out of 100%, Rent it Before Buying it to see if you Like It
  10. Mar 23, 2014
    The game includes a lot of great shows like Johnny Bravo, Kids Next Door, Samurai Jack, and a lot more classic Cartoon Network cartoons. The game play is like a downgraded version of Super Smash Brothers and the characters start to get boring somewhat quick although the story line is great! I just wish it included more characters like Courage the Cowardly Dog, Cow and Chicken, and other classic cartoons. Expand
  11. Oct 18, 2011
    This is a good fun game. It could be better. There are a lot of great elements such as the characters, combat and so on. Personally, it was a lot of fun for me and my family.
    DaddyGamer15 was hired from the development studio, which I heard from a team member. He is bitter about the developer, therefore vent his frustration on this site. Metacritic should have filtered it and figured out
    personal agenda and attack on his comment. Expand
  12. Oct 17, 2014
    Horrible Super Smash Bros Clone! I mean it! What´s the point to unite all of your favorite characters from TV and copy the smash formula if they can´t get it right?
  13. Jun 23, 2011

1. May 29, 2012
    If you watch Cartoon Network during the day you may like it, if you prefer their Adult Swim shows avoid.
  2. May 29, 2012
    Super Smash Bros in all but name, this basic fighter just doesn't do enough with its fighting engine or character-rich licence.
  3. Apr 27, 2012
    Second rate Smash Bros. with a first-rate cast. Fun for a bit, but quickly gets tired. [June 2012, p.83]