7.2

1. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is AMAZING..
    One of the best looking 3DS game and its a very good mix of OLD eps like Castlevania 3 or 4 and LOS, with some Metroidvania features.
    Its really challenging, you will die a lot before you learn how to beat the ennemies and the QTE are not over-intruisive. The story is ok, but there is a lips synch issue on the cut scene.. If you ONLY played the Metroidvania, maybe
    This game is AMAZING..
    If you ONLY played the Metroidvania, maybe you will not like it on first attempt(you will if you get over what you except of such an episode)

Anyway, it's a shame to not at least try this Castlevania before judging it, you will probably miss on of the good exclusive title in 3DS.
  2. Aug 7, 2014
    Despite some of the graphics that are pretty nice and some impressive 3D effects, the game itself is so boring and guided that it's more like watching a show than playing an actual game. I hate that bosses are weakened the second time we try to beat them, and those cinematic shots that just ask you to press X or B or something like that in order to deal the final blow. I'm glad I got thisDespite some of the graphics that are pretty nice and some impressive 3D effects, the game itself is so boring and guided that it's more like watching a show than playing an actual game. I hate that bosses are weakened the second time we try to beat them, and those cinematic shots that just ask you to press X or B or something like that in order to deal the final blow. I'm glad I got this game for only 12$ so it's not such a big waste of money, but it's still a huge disappointment after playing the previous handheld Castlevania titles! Expand
  3. Apr 6, 2013
    I should start with the fact that i never played a previous castlevania game in my life. But i thought it was pretty good overall, it feels like a side scrolling God of War game a little, and is a lot shorter than i was hoping for but i liked it. The combat was pretty fun, if not extremely entailed, and the different powers were fun to experiment with. Nowhere near as many secrets as iI should start with the fact that i never played a previous castlevania game in my life. But i thought it was pretty good overall, it feels like a side scrolling God of War game a little, and is a lot shorter than i was hoping for but i liked it. The combat was pretty fun, if not extremely entailed, and the different powers were fun to experiment with. Nowhere near as many secrets as i wanted, from what i've heard about castlevania there are usually lots. (Unless that boss at the very beginning that you're "supposed" to lose to has something behind him.... Hmm.). I had fun while it lasted but its not the epic game i was hoping for, so it gets a 7. Expand
  4. Jun 16, 2013
    Other Castlevania games are fast paced and have uninterrupted gameplay and exiting music. that keeps me hooked for hours and hours. Now Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate.
    Whenever i just get into the action LOADING...whenever i get ino the music LOADING... The LOADING screen has no LOADING...music and no LOADING...image it is just black. Whenever i take 3 enemies down LOADING... if the enemie takes me down LOADING... I walk 3 screens to the left LOADING...teleport LOADING... I die LOADING...and respawn at the very same spot. I cannot get into the groove when the game is always LOADING... step into the elevator LOADING...jump jump jump LOADING... fall fall fall LOADING... hack slash LOADING... start of bossfight LOADING...in the middle of bossfight LOADING...if i die in bossfight LOADING...and start right there again while boss has half health WHAT THE LOAD is going on?! well i dunno its LOADING... This could have been a realy good game if it wasn't for all the LOADING...
  5. Jun 18, 2013
    This game caused me some serious anger issues.
    Combat is f u c k i n g horrible, you can never tell when some enemies are gonna hit you because they don't televise their attack all taht well you can't even see them sometimes because your whip is so frickin bright and shiny while you are swinging it.
    This game caused me some serious anger issues.
    Some enemies take unbearable QUANTITY of hits and you can't tell when they're gonna finally die because the game doesn't provide you with any nformation on their health. All you can do is count your hits but you will never know if they actually hit the enemy because you can't see through your f u c king whip!
    Enemies have unblockable attack which they can pull out of their ass while you are flailing on them.
    You can guess how are thse attacks televised.
    By a f u c k i n g white light which you can't even see through your motherfocking whip!
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    This feels like CLASSIC castlevania, referring to pre-SOTN era whipping fun. You have the SOTN era castle map as well as the RPG style upgrades that came with SOTN, but each area of the castle is divided up on the main map just like you would see in what were referred to as stages or levels in classic era castlevania. So far I'm enjoying the game, the combos seem repetitious at times, butThis feels like CLASSIC castlevania, referring to pre-SOTN era whipping fun. You have the SOTN era castle map as well as the RPG style upgrades that came with SOTN, but each area of the castle is divided up on the main map just like you would see in what were referred to as stages or levels in classic era castlevania. So far I'm enjoying the game, the combos seem repetitious at times, but seeing that it looks like they were trying to convey the classic style castlevania, well, they didn't have combos in those games. You had one move: whip the heck out of anything coming your way. The fact that the conveniences of SOTN and beyond have been incorporated into the game make it more appealing to someone that wouldn't have suffered a thought of going through something like Castlevania or Super Castlevania.

Overall, I like it. I think some of the reviewers may have missed what specifically this game was intending to do. Hell, I could just be reaching with my assumptions, but it seems like a solid fit, and that's satisfying to me. An absolute must for anyone that enjoys the Castlevania of old, Lords of Shadow, Platforming, Action Combat.
  7. Mar 9, 2013
    Great 3D effects and a nice job with the Castlevania's atmosphere. Everyone should play this game at least once in their lifetime. Has a decent gameplay (around 9 hours) but it did not bring the 20 hours gameplay that was promissed. But I still recommend.
  8. Mar 8, 2013
    This is fun action/explore game. I am glad that it has classic gameplay where the players skills are more being tested then a level grindfest of the action RPGs that followed Symphony of the Night. I feel like I am experiencing an adventure not just trying to make my character level up to overpower enemies. This game feels fresh and has nicely executed graphics that gives it a comic bookThis is fun action/explore game. I am glad that it has classic gameplay where the players skills are more being tested then a level grindfest of the action RPGs that followed Symphony of the Night. I feel like I am experiencing an adventure not just trying to make my character level up to overpower enemies. This game feels fresh and has nicely executed graphics that gives it a comic book feel. The controls are responsive and feel intuitive to the game play. Play at night in the dark for full effect. Expand
  9. Mar 7, 2013
    WTF!! with the reviews, its a great game, there is no more metroidvania, but anyways its a great game, a must have game for the 3ds, and a best looking for a handled with and old harware like the 3ds.
  10. Mar 12, 2013
    ok, so lets first start out by saying this isn't Symphony of the Night. So if you're buying this game thinking it is, you'll be very disappointed. what you are getting is a nice, clean and polished castlevania game, similar to castlevania 3. as much as the fanboy in me wishes it were another symphony of the night clone (because they are still incredible to this day), this is still a veryok, so lets first start out by saying this isn't Symphony of the Night. So if you're buying this game thinking it is, you'll be very disappointed. what you are getting is a nice, clean and polished castlevania game, similar to castlevania 3. as much as the fanboy in me wishes it were another symphony of the night clone (because they are still incredible to this day), this is still a very enjoyable entry into the series. we got a different spin on Kid Icarus last year and Castlevania is getting the same treatment. I applaud companies for taking risks with franchises that we all love dearly since we were younger, and sometimes these ideas don't always translate into incredible results. all in all its a fun game and a nice addition to the 3ds lineup. enjoy it for what it is and stop trying to pretend your mustang is a Ferrari. Expand
  11. Mar 5, 2013
    Plisskin seems like u plagiarized the ign review highly doubt u beat the game yet is it like the old ones no but it doesn't mean it's not good i only been playing for a hour and I'm enjoying the hell out of this game and if u dident like well use your own words to say it plisskin cause this game is a new take done well unlike your new metel revengence assuming your a metel gear fan boring!!!!
  12. Mar 5, 2013
    I have been a castlevania fan for a long time and this game does not disappoint. This has a great story and fluid game play I have no idea why ign has to give great games crap reviews but i have not trusted their reviews since they gave kingdom hearts 2 a bad review. so if your a castlevania fan you have to pick this up asap.
  13. Mar 5, 2013
    I never quite liked the metroidvania games to begin with. Im not saying they're bad, but the so called hardcore castlevania fans must understand those games are niche, not of a wide appeal. That being said, Im a fan of the original nes-snes castlevanias and castlevania64, and I absolutely loved Lords of shadow. With that in mind, and taking into account how divisive the differentI never quite liked the metroidvania games to begin with. Im not saying they're bad, but the so called hardcore castlevania fans must understand those games are niche, not of a wide appeal. That being said, Im a fan of the original nes-snes castlevanias and castlevania64, and I absolutely loved Lords of shadow. With that in mind, and taking into account how divisive the different castlevania games can be, I can say that to me, and I know Im not alone, this game is exactly what I was expecting, and what I was hoping for: a great 2.5D platformer, in the vein of LoS with elements of those old old school castlenvanias, prior SotN. Great game, but certainly not aimed at the metroidavnia fans, which I think, gives it a much wider appeal and I think that's what konami is going for). Not perfect, but definitely a great start for a new generation of portable castlenvanias. Expand
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    I have to say that I really like it a lot. It really is more like the older NES and SNES Castlevania games I grew up with, and that's not a bad thing at all. I see it as sort of a retro reboot of the series. I know some people wanted it to have more light RPG elements, but honestly, I'm having too much fun with what it is to complain about what it isn't.

Don't listen to the whiney

Don't listen to the whiney Castlevania snobs whose expectations are impossible to please (unless of course you are one If you enjoyed fun, 2D action/adventure games on the NES and SNES back in the day you'll love this. Trust me.

Things I love about it:
    - Killer orchestrated music
    - Fast-paced action
    - Beautiful, varied, and immersive level design
    - Fun and rewarding combat system
    - Sound effects are fantastic
    - Excellent checkpoint system that prevents frustration
    - Compelling storyline
    - Handy note system (add markers on your map with a custom note, so when you get necessary upgrades you'll know where to go to access new areas/items)
    - Solid voicework which gives life to the characters

If this game doesn't look appealing to you then it's probably not what you want. But at least download the demo and try it. If you like the demo I can assure the full game is even better.

Bottom line:
    This is exactly what I've wanted on my 3DS for a long time. I wholeheartedly endorse it.
  15. Mar 5, 2013
    I'll try to be simple:

i) graphics: 9.5
    ii) sound: 9
    iii) script: 8
    iv) art (if the game has a soul): 10

Castlevania at its best. The game resembles the NES and SNES Castlevanias (in a Lords of Shadows approach, of course). If you have a 3DS, don't miss this excelent game!
  16. Mar 7, 2013
    Castlevania Mirror Of Fate is a good game but it's not without its flaws. In ways it does look like a portable Devil May Cry game with its style and gameplay. But given that it is a 3DS game and not a PS3 or Xbox 360 game give it a break.
  17. Mar 6, 2013
    If you grew up playing The classic Castlevania games like Draculas Curse, Vampires Kiss, and Super Castlevania IV you'll love this game. If SOTN was your first Castlevania game you'll probably not like it as much. I grew up on both and I love it. It's much darker than other Castlevanias and looks amazing. Dont let IGA purists dissuade you from buying this game. True classic castlevaniaIf you grew up playing The classic Castlevania games like Draculas Curse, Vampires Kiss, and Super Castlevania IV you'll love this game. If SOTN was your first Castlevania game you'll probably not like it as much. I grew up on both and I love it. It's much darker than other Castlevanias and looks amazing. Dont let IGA purists dissuade you from buying this game. True classic castlevania fans love the Lord of Shadows series, SOTN fans like SOTN and its many clones and are not satisfied unless the dames are structured like SOTN. Expand
  18. Jun 21, 2013
    It is sad to see what has happened to the once majestic Castlevania series. I thought things couldn't possibly get worse after Lords of Shadow but I was wrong. Konami made Mirror of Fate. Graphicly it looks HORRIBLE. Worst 3D graphics I've seen in a long time (and considering how awesome their sprites looked before it's just adds more insult). The gameplay is boring, cumbersome, andIt is sad to see what has happened to the once majestic Castlevania series. I thought things couldn't possibly get worse after Lords of Shadow but I was wrong. Konami made Mirror of Fate. Graphicly it looks HORRIBLE. Worst 3D graphics I've seen in a long time (and considering how awesome their sprites looked before it's just adds more insult). The gameplay is boring, cumbersome, and doesn't flow in the slightest. Didn't play much so I didn't get to see just how atrocious the plot was (if it's anything like the previous Lords of Shadows, it's God awful). I can't recommend this game to anyone, especially a Castlevania fan. Just go play the DS and GBA Castelvania games and, of coarse, SotN if you've never given it a try. Expand
  19. Mar 10, 2013
    AS the old castelvanias and beyond, new elements, awesome and i mean awesome story, the artistic design and the dialogues are simply unique good, very good graphics, more than proper sounds, and a kick-ass soundtrack honestly from someone that have played old castelvania, this is almost heaven also elements such as the notes it makes you feel really on the environment like a prettyAS the old castelvanias and beyond, new elements, awesome and i mean awesome story, the artistic design and the dialogues are simply unique good, very good graphics, more than proper sounds, and a kick-ass soundtrack honestly from someone that have played old castelvania, this is almost heaven also elements such as the notes it makes you feel really on the environment like a pretty hardcore game also the difficulty makes it delicious honestly the only way to dislike this is if you are who hated the old castelvanias or if you are mad because ps vita has no games. Expand
  20. Jul 6, 2013
    If you liked Lords of Shadow, then you'll enjoy this game...that's about the easiest way to briefly summarize it. The story, graphics, and gameplay all take after the newer direction Konami seems to be taking the franchise in.
  21. Apr 26, 2013
    this is not a mediocre game, is it a good game? yes, but not excellent, this is a game you must first play the demo and then decide, it has it's bad moments but generally I had fun playing it, and for me that's what's most important, and don't listen to colin moriarty from IGN, just because it doesn't SotN gameplay means it's bad
  22. Apr 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OMG I totally agree! This game is AMAZING! The best 3DS game I've played so far and the best use of the 3D graphics. There's an amazing scene with an evil lesbian that lures Simon into her lair "come closer Simon" before kissing her girlfriend, which gives her the energy to create a force field. Nuts! I'm so surprised this game got a score in the low 70s. Expand
  23. May 24, 2013
    Maybe not as good as Castlevania games on DS (Dawn Of Sorrow, Order Of Eclesia) but I was expecting that it will never be the same again.
    Mirror Of Fate is satisfying platformer with very nice graphics and cool music.
    If you played Castlevania only on PS3 you won't have nothing to complain about.
  24. Mar 5, 2013
    this is my opinion on it, i'm a long time castlevania fan, and i was honestly hoping for a metroidvania game, i've been itching for one for a good while. at first i wasnt sure about this one its odd hybrid play reminds me more of older castlevania games like the original 3 more than sotn mixed with los. i will say it is nowhere near perfect, however from what i have played so far (firstthis is my opinion on it, i'm a long time castlevania fan, and i was honestly hoping for a metroidvania game, i've been itching for one for a good while. at first i wasnt sure about this one its odd hybrid play reminds me more of older castlevania games like the original 3 more than sotn mixed with los. i will say it is nowhere near perfect, however from what i have played so far (first two acts down) its not bad. the hit detection bosses are really my only major gripe, and its a little short but for a first shot at a 2d castlevania game, which mercury had no previous experience with where as the old team had decades to perfect its a pretty good start. i just hope if they make further 2d games they learn from currect mistakes because they have the potential to make something truely great. i do feel ign was overly harsh in their review. Expand
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    This game is absolutely fantastic! Ignore the IGN review the guy clearly has issues. Try it for yourself you won't be disappointed. The graphics are amazing and combat is fab. Deserves better.
  26. Mar 14, 2013
    I like this game, and i'm giving this a 6/10 because of the game itself, not because of it being a Castlevania game. It's all pretty good (besides awful controls!) but for a game of my favourite franchise, i did expect some more of it.
  27. Mar 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantástico!
    simplesmente muito bom, muito complicado!
    gráficos razoáveis, mas porra e castlevania!!!!!
    E muito bom, so q a expectativa criada era maior!

Muito fantástico!
  28. Mar 12, 2013
    This title was very disappointing, despite carrying the Castlevania name. The music was almost non-existent, which is a shame because the series is known for its great tunes. Platforming in the game is atrocious and the game gladly lets you platform without throwing any enemies of note at you (a far cry from the careful platforming of the previous games.) You also take unnecessary fallThis title was very disappointing, despite carrying the Castlevania name. The music was almost non-existent, which is a shame because the series is known for its great tunes. Platforming in the game is atrocious and the game gladly lets you platform without throwing any enemies of note at you (a far cry from the careful platforming of the previous games.) You also take unnecessary fall damage if you fumble a jump. Combat, to be put quite simply, is repetitive. It takes multiple hits to fell a skeleton of all things. Likewise, there are points on the map where you can heal to full health. This would normally be fine, but this game isn't a full blown "Metroidvania" like SotN. Finally, boss fights. Absolutely horrible. Not only are there checkpoints in the middle of boss fights, there are QTEs--a mechanic that should have ended with Shenmue. QTEs also exist elsewhere in the castle and not in boss fights, and they're equally as asinine. Funny how this series has included the undead in every game is now reduced to a shambling corpse. Expand
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is really great. I haven't been able to put it down. For once I like having a story in a Castlevania. The characters are great, the music, awesome graphics, the gameplay it's excellent. I know a lot of people are bashing this game without a GOOD reason. I've played the old Castlevanias a thousand times, fan of SOTN and I cant tell that this game is AWESOME.
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    Simply an excellent game. I love the way mercury steam do the things. They've refreshed the concept it works great. Graphics, music, story, playability, difficulty, challenge, everything contributes to give you an excinting game. One of the best things that my 3ds console has tasted. Happy with my game.

1. May 22, 2013
    Mirror of Fate is a good game, but it can disappoint fans used to the Metroidvania formula.
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    It feels like an odd mesh of classic Castlevania, Symphony of the Night, and Lords of Shadow, and like any jack of all trades, it masters none of these elements.
  3. Apr 24, 2013
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate is a game that tries to take the best of both new and old Castlevania but ultimately comes up short all round.