• Publisher: Nicalis
  • Release Date: Oct 4, 2012
  • Also On: PC
8.3

1. Nov 5, 2012
    Cave Story is what happens when a labor of love becomes an all endearing project. Originally a indie PC title out of Japan, Cave Story has since been released officially on PC with extra's and new music. It also received a 3DS physical release with loads of extra's and a new graphics engine. This release is just the bare-bones version you can get for free on the PC, but the price to play it portable is $10. Is it worth it? In my opinion, yes. Cave Story is a special kind of game with a very old-school feel. The platforming is fun and challenging, the weapons are upgradeable and interchangeable, the enemies are varied and challenging, and the art style is glorious 16-bit heaven. It feels like someone pulled this game out of the SNES era in a very good way. My personal opinion would be to try and get the physical version for the 3DS, but this one is easier to get, cheaper (but without any extras), and just as good. 9/10 Collapse
  2. Feb 4, 2013
    One of the greatest games ever, now for download on the eShop, this great title looks even better with the 3D effect that make the sprites come to life even more. One of the jewels in the indie department. Get it now!
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    Cave Story is a genuinely timeless -- and utterly sublime -- 2D adventure that really should be experienced by as many core gamers as possible. But nearly eighteen months since it's NA release, why is it still not available on the EU eShop? And and while I'm at it, Cave Story really needs to come to the Wii U eShop too. I own it on pretty much every platform on which it's ever been released, and moving forward, I intend to continue that trend. Yes, it really is *that* good. Expand
  4. Jun 30, 2014
    Awesome game! Though I only ever beat it on easy...... ONCE I have gotten to the end on normal mode, but I can never get past Misery, and even IF I beat her, I will most defiantly die on the Doctor. I even made it through the hard cave.... thing (whatever its called) to get here!
  5. Jan 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best 2D platformer I've played, tied with Megaman X. The controls are smooth, the mechanics are solid, the game is beautiful, the music makes me orgasm whenever I listen to it, the plot is gripping, and the challenge is PERFECT. This game is, above all, memorable. I can sing any song from this game if you tell me where it plays. I can remember how many times I attempted the Sacred Grounds: 68 tries, 20 to Ballos, 15 to second form, 8 to third, and, of course, one win. I just...
    Love it so much.
    And it was made by one dude? YESSS.
  6. Aug 10, 2014
    Him - "Cave Story is better than Metroid"

Me ( die-hard Metroid fan ) - *cocks gun* "whadju say?"

*shows me game* I beat it in a casual week.

*head explodes. mind blown*

Him - "You actually made this vague crappy dialogue a full review?"

Me - *still dead*
  7. Aug 14, 2014
    probably the best indie game there is.

gameplay: so f***ing addictive 10
    graphics: beautiful (yes i love 8-16 bits visuals more than the high-tech stuff we have now) 10
    sounds: amazing 10
  8. Oct 14, 2014
    I never cried while playing a game, but with Cave Story, i came close. While playing, you learn to love the characters and many little secrets make it worth playing through multiple times. I died pretty often while playing, but i would not say that the game is too hard, there are just maybe too much instakill-spikes. This is probably one of the best Indie games ever.
  9. Nov 5, 2012

1. Mar 11, 2013
    It is a well-designed, challenging, fun, evocative experience that rewards multiple play-throughs.
  2. Oct 5, 2012
    This new release has just as much content as any other version of the game, if not more. Overall, it stands right alongside Cave Story+ as one of the best, if not the best, version of Cave Story to date.
  3. Oct 3, 2012
    Minor complaints aside, it's great to see an enhanced version of Cave Story available on eShop. The stereoscopic 3D adds a little depth, which is nice, and the game controls as wonderfully as ever. But once again, choosing the best version depends on personal preference.