6.5

1. May 11, 2011
    Let me make it clear. you do NOT need to look at the bottom screen to play the game. I'll glance at it if I need to see where a pesky bogie is hiding, but otherwise I avoid it and just put down my Sonar Pings with A. I'm really enjoying the game. The gameplay is intense and the levels are just amazingly surreal. Honestly its probably one of the best titles on the 3DS now.
  2. May 11, 2011
    Sounds like the developers caught wind of the poor review and decided to make their own to up the score, much like what has been done here on metacritic to raise review scores. Devoting entire user reviews to try and discredit a user review is pathetic. If your game sucks, it sucks. And I, as a consumer and a long time gamer (27 years) have the right to voice my opinion, as does everyoneSounds like the developers caught wind of the poor review and decided to make their own to up the score, much like what has been done here on metacritic to raise review scores. Devoting entire user reviews to try and discredit a user review is pathetic. If your game sucks, it sucks. And I, as a consumer and a long time gamer (27 years) have the right to voice my opinion, as does everyone on the web. If's sad that developers and publishers come on to metacritic and review their own games. Next time, make a good game and you won't have to defend this garbage..... Stay away, this game is NOT fun... it's more like a chore. There's way better games coming out that will provide a challenge and entertainment. Expand
  3. May 12, 2011
    Fly around with the circle pad? Ok. "Ping" enemies with the stylus? Ok. But wait...I'm left-handed. Not to mention the very first level is impossible. The enemies fly way too quickly to catch up. Each one shoots three bullets in each direction. Unless you get lucky and manage to ping AND kill each one, you're going to get riddled with bullets, which are tiny by the way, making themFly around with the circle pad? Ok. "Ping" enemies with the stylus? Ok. But wait...I'm left-handed. Not to mention the very first level is impossible. The enemies fly way too quickly to catch up. Each one shoots three bullets in each direction. Unless you get lucky and manage to ping AND kill each one, you're going to get riddled with bullets, which are tiny by the way, making them impossible to keep track of in addition to pings and enemies. You may be invincible while using your power, but that doesn't last long, especially if you don't manage to hit anything. If you're on the fence about this one, take my advice and skip it or wait for it to be available for rent. This is $40 I wish I didn't waste. In reply to Tanasinn: How can he play level 2 if he can't get past level 1? I'm right in the same boat as he is; the minute I do well -at all-, I run out of power and basically can only just sit there and wait to die yet again. Expand
  4. May 10, 2011
    I resent the poor review of this game, especially from the guy who obviously couldn't hack it and called 'defect' after one stage (your character is a butterfly on the first stage... but cycles through aiming reticules, stars, fish, and lots of different things that correlate with the enemies in said stage). Sure Dream Trigger is not easy... and the first time you play you will die whileI resent the poor review of this game, especially from the guy who obviously couldn't hack it and called 'defect' after one stage (your character is a butterfly on the first stage... but cycles through aiming reticules, stars, fish, and lots of different things that correlate with the enemies in said stage). Sure Dream Trigger is not easy... and the first time you play you will die while trying to get the hang of it... but what does jqm78 want a restart button for on a 2 minutes stage that you've failed? Ha! There are virtually no load times whatsoever in Dream Trigger so take me back to the menu all you want. Also, if you play video games as a hobby (which are the sort of hobbyists video games reviewers should be limited to) you'll pick it up as early as stage two. When things are calm you'll be able to spend the time monitoring the touch screen to find the most efficient way to reveal your enemies, but in frantic fights you'll have the hand-eye coordination and brain matter to send your sonar pings without looking at the touch screen in accordance with what's happening on the 3D screen. The enemies, be it cloaked or revealed, glow white before firing at you, giving away their location and letting you swipe your stylus (without looking if you're not jqm) and ping 'em. The world map mode is great for progress through an arcade game which could just be level after level. Mini-bosses are repetitive but the main bosses provide a little more of a challenge. Items are larger glowing mulit-colored triangles, so as long as you don't have jqm's eyes you will be able to distinguish them from the tiny red diamond shaped enemy projectiles. Of the 10 3DS games I've owned to this point this is 3rd only to SSIV3D and Shadow Wars. It's a nice change of pace from the fighting games we've been played and will be playing with DOA and BlazBlue. It's a well rounded smooth playing game that you should watch a gameplay video of first to see if it's something you're interested in... that will definitely give it away. Don't listen to the review that claims "It's just not fun" like the reviewer is the be-all-end-all of games. If you're interested in Dream Trigger, it will give you fun. If you're a supreme idiot, I suggest waiting for Spongebob. I give this game an 8.0, but I'm giving it 9 here because there are so few reviews and I'd like to offset the lacky's brutally uninformed bashing of it. Expand
  5. May 10, 2011
    Extremely innovative. I can see why people are harping a bit on the "there's too much going on" thing, but if you feel out the mechanics, its actually quite simple. The tutorial plays on the rhythm side of things, but if you leave the "puzzle" aspect at the door and think of this as more of a shmup, you're in for a treat. While at first I was trying to place my sonar pings in rhythm withExtremely innovative. I can see why people are harping a bit on the "there's too much going on" thing, but if you feel out the mechanics, its actually quite simple. The tutorial plays on the rhythm side of things, but if you leave the "puzzle" aspect at the door and think of this as more of a shmup, you're in for a treat. While at first I was trying to place my sonar pings in rhythm with the enemies, looking down at the second screen every two seconds, I became quite frustrated. Then I realized you can see your ping placements on the top screen as well, and began drawing shapes and patterns to catch the enemies in. Once you get the hang of it, the mechanics are fluid, and glancing to the bottom screen is no longer necessary. Boss fights are great, pinging to open up the health bar for a blast attack. Exploring Map Mode is also fun, traveling to trippy planets for new beats and enemies. Graphically? Nothing crazy, but this isn't the game to buy for the graphics. This one is for the fans of more arcade style shmups, and brutal, addictive gameplay Expand
  6. May 10, 2011
    The game is HARD! Meaning it's not for everyone, but mainly hardcore gamers. This is a combo or Rez, Ikaruga, and others in a very odd way. For casual players, you'll be screwed, but gamers will adjust in less time. The others went into detail, so I'll save my types. If you like hardcore shooters, this is a must though. 3D looking great is a plus too.
  7. May 11, 2011
    Like Fox-Adams, I too resent the poor review that user jqm78 has written. He blindly judges the game based on only the first level and also holds wild claims that the devs themselves are writing fake reviews. I ask two things from you jqm78: 1. Play the game pass level one. 2. If you claim that the devs are posting reviews, please post proof and have links or no one will take youLike Fox-Adams, I too resent the poor review that user jqm78 has written. He blindly judges the game based on only the first level and also holds wild claims that the devs themselves are writing fake reviews. I ask two things from you jqm78: 1. Play the game pass level one. 2. If you claim that the devs are posting reviews, please post proof and have links or no one will take you seriously. I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however if said opinion is similar to judging a book by its cover and not spending the time to actually get to know the material...its pretty moot man. Anyway enough dealing with small frys on to my review:

Dream Trigger is bleeding with bizarre originality. It does call to mind a few game mechanics from games like Killer 7 [your enemies are invisible until you ping them to appear], Rez [visually, and the fact that your actions affect the music in game], any bullet hell/danmaku game [there's bullets everywhere oh god], DJMAX Technitica [in terms of how the pings on the touch screen are activated] and NInja Gaiden/Battletoads [In terms of difficulty].

This game is targeted towards the hardcore gamer crowd, and that really shows in the first level. As with some of the previews for the game, most reviewers got their asses handed to them and no doubt, this will happen the first time you play. However, this is due mostly to the mechanics being so new. Once you get a hang of things, the game can be progressed through with ease but not the type of ease most are hoping for as the game doesn't hold back in its difficulty. A surprising example is a enemy that even the manual will fail to tell you about: The Tracker. All the game really does is inform you to never touch it. And it'll be best to follow that. If a player does touch it, it'll lock the player in a intense fight much harder than the boss fights and if you lose, you also lose all of your dream points [point system in which the player uses to transverse the map world] . Interesting gameplay aside, this game makes the most use [to date] of the 3ds display. Everything is smooth and adds on to the game instead of just being in 3d 'just cause' like most of the 3ds lineup to date. The soundtrack for the game is amazing, most noticeably the boss theme as it clearly shows that the designers are fans of the movie Battle Royale. The challenges within the game also have that 'in joke' pull to them and most of the time, this really wasn't expected. Namely because of how abstract the plot of the game is. You are a fixer of dreams and you spend the entire game purifying your nightmares. Sadly that is as far as the plot goes from what I've played so far [half way through the game]. It would've been interesting to have the plot more upfront and a small explanation to each of the 10 environments in the game. The game is a pretty good size, a total of 55 levels and 100+ achievements to gain will guarantee a long play and the leaderboards add even more to it. If you find a friend with a copy, be sure to check out the 2-player mode. Giving this a 9 for satisfying gameplay, immersive visuals, and good replay value. Had to take a point off due to the plot not being as full, but that is understandable as this is more of a arcade shooter so people looking for more might be a little disappointed. Also the two-player mode is local only, seeing that this game might very well already reached cult-status, it might be a bit tough later on to find others with this game.
  8. May 12, 2011
    Just picked this game up tonight. Here are my thoughts.

Just picked this game up tonight. Here are my thoughts.

Going through the tutorial, I was a bit lost. It was a very short and to-the-point affair, and after failing HARD at the first level I ran back to the tutorial again to see if I can understand it better. So after brushing up on that I went back in. Failed again in less than a minute. I thought maybe there was something I just wasn't getting. About 10 rounds of trying later, I finally felt a groove and things started to fall in place. A couple levels later, and I was hooked.

The game runs by dropping Pings, or little bomb-like blocks on the bottom screen to make enemies appear on the top screen (so you can then shoot them). Just because the enemies aren't visible on the top screen doesn't mean they aren't THERE though. They'll still kick your ass with strings of bullets. You'll have to uncover them by using the Sonar Pings.

Be aware though than Pings don't detonate right when you place them. There is a delay. So anticipating where enemy ships (or eh...enemy...floating...shape...things...)will go is going to be part of your strategy.

The music is very cool, and you can tell just by booting the game up that the developer knows how to use the 3D effect. Items you grab in-game float from the bottom screen to the top, and it's a cool game mechanic that only works in 3D. Yep. Turns out 3D isn't entirely useless.

All in all, Dream Trigger 3D is a solid game. But what makes it really stand out for me is it's originality. It's not a remake, sequel, knockoff, ect...so it's a rarity as far as the 3DS is concerned. I can see a lot of people getting down right frustrated with the game, because it is HARD. Not for a casual Angry Birds player. It's bullet-hell, plain and simple. Well...not "simple".
  9. May 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well to tell you the truth...this is probably one of the better games I've played on the 3DS so far. Yes, at first it can be a bit frustrating--but I blame this for a lack of creativity on the part of other developers--This game is incredible. The game play mechanics are just about as creative as the come---especially in a game that one would consider a "shump". The use of Sonar and Hidden enemies is a wonderful addition to the genre. Most times its point and shoot..but this one is a bit of puzzle, shump, and preemptive thinking. I was playing the this game on the Metro this morning and was so pulled in that I missed my stop and had to backtrack. The music is incredible--and the graphics are beautiful for what they are---its more of an abstract shooter than anything. Not sure what anything is..not sure why I am shooting it...but its just seems to make sense. For those weary of the reviews saying that it is difficult...well...it is...because you don't understand the controls..you have never had to do this before...its a learning experience...and they basically throw you under the bus---just know that you can't give up on the first stage. The tutorial is not so helpful..but a few tips....when you are shooting you are invincible...and most enemy attacks have a pattern..so watch that carefully...and every pattern as a sonar swipe that will be most effective in revealing all of your enemies.

Although I truly do love the game...and consider it one of the better titles for the 3DS....one thing I would have like to know ahead of time is that you can move around the map without "dream points"---so use them wisely. All a round wonderful game that I will enjoy and scream at(in a laughing way). I would highly recommend this game to shump players---but just be weary that its not like all other shumps on the market..this adds a new feature that is bound to get a Love/Hate from many players.

Good Job D3 for providing something new and innovative--and entirely new--at least in my experience with gaming. Thanks.
  10. May 13, 2011
    This game is hard yes. People need to give it another try. Don't give up so easy. If you aren't having fun in 20 minutes of practice you need a helmet. Just sayin.
  11. May 12, 2011
    Not fun. A big disappointment. Why was this a $40 game.
    Those are a few things that came to mind after my first play through of this game.
    Not fun. A big disappointment. Why was this a $40 game.
    I am a 27 year old who started playing Nintendo before I could talk. That being said, this game is stupid difficult. The intro walks you through, at that point you realize that this game is asking you to do a variety of things at the same time, and all I wanted to do was play a bullet hell (CAVE style) in 3D.
    I thought this was a 3D Shmup! That's all I wanted from Dream Trigger, but instead I got a full priced cluster eff of a game. I was one of the few who waited and was upset when the release got pushed back a few weeks. Now I will be posting it on Amazon.
  12. May 11, 2011
    Here is my disclaimer: this game is certainly not for everybody. However, as an avid player of games in the vein of Gradius and Lumines, this game hit me in a spot I didn't know still existed in my jaded gamer's heart. This is the kind of game that will frustrate the impatient modern gamer (who has been tainted by twitch-shooter FPS games and simple platformers for the past few years),Here is my disclaimer: this game is certainly not for everybody. However, as an avid player of games in the vein of Gradius and Lumines, this game hit me in a spot I didn't know still existed in my jaded gamer's heart. This is the kind of game that will frustrate the impatient modern gamer (who has been tainted by twitch-shooter FPS games and simple platformers for the past few years), but to those who put in at most 20 minutes of effort to figure out the nuances, this game is a treat.

What I would call a hybrid of the bullet hell and rhythm puzzle genres, Dream Trigger 3D is an attention demanding, patter recognition necessary game. There is a sweeping bar much in the same realm as the one present in Lumines, and the enemies on screen appear as a one would expect from a game like Yar's Revenge (kicking it old school on you, I know). The graphics are very immersive with the 3D turned on, and the music is organic with the success of the player. In other words, if you are constantly moving, tagging enemies (using your "ping), and taking them out, you will have a steady stream of very energetic electronica music filling your ears. If you are stationary and not doing well, you sit in silence.

All in all, this is the first game to do something fun and original with the technology present in the 3DS system. While Street Fighter was the most "complete" launch game, and Shadow Wars was the most worthwhile, Dream Trigger 3D looks to be the first in a (hopefully) long and intriguing stream of games pushing Nintendo's system to new heights. I recommend this game to anybody who has the patience and desire to learn something new. This will be in my system from now until Zelda, and beyond.
  13. May 13, 2011
    While I was really looking forward to this game, I gotta say it seems ridiculously complex and frenetic right out of the gate. I know some people love how challenging it is but I just find it way to frustrating to be any fun at all. Within the first seven seconds of the first level you are required to place "pings" on the touch screen, wait for them to detonate and reveal enemies on the 3dWhile I was really looking forward to this game, I gotta say it seems ridiculously complex and frenetic right out of the gate. I know some people love how challenging it is but I just find it way to frustrating to be any fun at all. Within the first seven seconds of the first level you are required to place "pings" on the touch screen, wait for them to detonate and reveal enemies on the 3d screen, shoot them with the limited laser energy, collect the reward icons, and avoid the 20 bombs on screen......without moving the device at all or you lose the 3d image. I know people are saying you don't need to look at the touch screen to place pings, but even the tutorial shows them being place with the stylus....this mechanic really seems messed up since you just end up thumb mashing the screen in hopes of hitting something blindly. There is no ramp up to the insane pace of this game.
    I love trippy games like Rez and Lumines and really wanted to enjoy this one but its way to unforgiving to be any fun ....the one review i found from gamepro was 3.5 and i sadly have to agree.
  14. May 26, 2011
    There's hard and then there is too hard. This game is way too hard for practically anyone to play. When you have trouble getting past the first level, something is seriously wrong. Your hands will hurt from the odd positioning you need to do and it's just bad. The game is nice to look at from an artsy perspective, but the game fails on so many levels besides that. Avoid at all costs.
  15. May 13, 2011
    In all honesty, I'm extremely confused as to why everyone is calling this game maniacally difficult. If anything, I find it much easier than what I expected. I mean, it's absolutely nothing compared to those Japanese shoot-em-ups. But with that aside, the 3D effect for this game is probably the best there is for any current 3DS game. The visuals are engaging, the sound is wonderful, andIn all honesty, I'm extremely confused as to why everyone is calling this game maniacally difficult. If anything, I find it much easier than what I expected. I mean, it's absolutely nothing compared to those Japanese shoot-em-ups. But with that aside, the 3D effect for this game is probably the best there is for any current 3DS game. The visuals are engaging, the sound is wonderful, and the gameplay is interesting, but there's something missing. First of all, it's really not worth $39.99. Maybe $29.99 at the max. (The game is good, but not THAT good) Overall, the game ends up seeming like a mere sequence of arcade sessions. The developers included a whole world map thing, but I was hoping for something more innovative.
    Personally, I find it to be the most interesting 3DS games currently out, But like many other reviewers say: It is not for everyone.
  16. May 13, 2011
    This game is actually really good. It is, however, confusing to learn. The main point people don't understand: YOU DON'T HAVE TO DODGE BULLETS. If you are firing, you are invulnerable. This might be expected to make the game easy, but you can only fire for a limited time after uncovering enemies with your sonar. This adds some tension -- you frantically uncover enemies, then blast away,This game is actually really good. It is, however, confusing to learn. The main point people don't understand: YOU DON'T HAVE TO DODGE BULLETS. If you are firing, you are invulnerable. This might be expected to make the game easy, but you can only fire for a limited time after uncovering enemies with your sonar. This adds some tension -- you frantically uncover enemies, then blast away, trying to get them all. If you don't, then you might have to dodge for a second or two. But the game is not mainly about dodging -- it's about firing and uncovering enemies. Once this is understood, it becomes a very tense, richly challenging and engrossing game. But not a particularly impossible one -- just strange and unusual. And very appreciated for the 3DS. Expand
  17. May 14, 2011
    Dream Trigger is a clever shooter that becomes pretty fun once you get "in the zone", but don't expect to breeze through it like most of the launch titles. It is a difficult game, but definitely not the hardest thing I've ever played. There are a ton of things going on on both screens and the gameplay is made even more complex by the "ping" mechanic, but if you're used to fast paced twitchDream Trigger is a clever shooter that becomes pretty fun once you get "in the zone", but don't expect to breeze through it like most of the launch titles. It is a difficult game, but definitely not the hardest thing I've ever played. There are a ton of things going on on both screens and the gameplay is made even more complex by the "ping" mechanic, but if you're used to fast paced twitch style games, you'll get used to the rhythm of it pretty quickly. Graphically, the game is nice and colorful and has a deep 3D effect which makes it a good showcase for the 3D screen. The soundtrack is decent, if not a bit forgettable.

I have no doubt that in time there will be better games released- but at this point, Dream Trigger is one of the best 3ds games for core gamers who want a challenge. If you're looking for a standard shooter in 3D, you're going to be disappointed, but if you're open to something more creative and original, this is your game.
  18. Apr 15, 2013
    This is interesting, along the lines of Rez. The controls are nice, there is no need to ever look at the bottom screen. The visuals and soundtrack are unique, there is a retro feel to the whole thing. I find myself in a kind of 'zone' when playing and it's a good game for short plays and high-score chasing. I think they could have done a bit more with the concept and there are no onlineThis is interesting, along the lines of Rez. The controls are nice, there is no need to ever look at the bottom screen. The visuals and soundtrack are unique, there is a retro feel to the whole thing. I find myself in a kind of 'zone' when playing and it's a good game for short plays and high-score chasing. I think they could have done a bit more with the concept and there are no online leaderboards, with more work on these they could have had a cult classic. Overall, a quirky score chasing game with a sense of humour that is strangely addictive in short bursts. Expand
  19. May 14, 2011

1. May 14, 2012
    Dream Trigger 3D is one of those games that would have hugely benefitted from eShop presence, be it a demo or a smaller downloadable version, as while the concept in itself is difficult to grasp initially, the payoff in grasping a higher score and hearing the stage theme in its entirety is more than worth it. As far as effective 3D showcases and unique experiences on Nintendo's newest handheld go, you'll find fewer more so than this.
    A frantic shoot 'em up that throws new ideas at you constantly, but ends up punishing the player with an unfinished quagmire that wont appeal to anyone except perhaps the most dedicated genre fans.
  3. Sep 16, 2011
    While attempting to be innovative, Dream Trigger 3D fails to keep me engaged. Its horribly steep learning curve, combined with repetitive gameplay when you finally master it, makes this a game I'd rather avoid.