Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan 3DS

• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Feb 26, 2013
8.5

1. Apr 9, 2014
    I personally found this game boring after logging about 6 hours in the first dungeon and not making any discernible progress on top of my compounding main frustration with the game: The game is one of the least immersive experiences I've had in a long time because of it's weak and effortless narrative, poor character design, and uninspired locales.

I understand why some people like this

I understand why some people like this game, and I'm just getting my opinion out there for consumers like me. I probably would have enjoyed this game in the 1990s. Not now.
  2. Apr 25, 2013
    Ever since the SNES era, I've been a huge RPG fan. From Japanese masterpieces like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and EarthBound to American franchises like The Elder Scrolls, I'm always enthralled by the epic storylines, memorable characters, and ridiculously immersive gameplay.

There are, however, plenty of pitfalls in the genre. Sometimes, a game with all of the above qualities will simply force you to grind way too much (hello, Secret of Mana!). Other times, games turn into a slugfest of item and/or stats management that makes it a lot harder to enjoy their other qualities (much like The World Ends With You).

To be blunt, Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan features none of the qualities I mentioned above AND all of the hassles. The game is an endless grind, with no real compelling story and no memorable characters (all of your party are almost-faceless, player-created drones).

Everything you do in the game, you do in the coldest way possible, through a crapload of menus and submenus. You don't get to wander around towns, approach townsfolk, look for secrets in the back alleys... you simply choose what to do from a list, suffer through boring dialogues, and proceed to grind the next dungeon.

As if all of this wasn't enough, the game (apparently, the series) forces you to draw your own map as you go along. Words can't describe how aggravating I found that experience. Of course, it's something that real life adventurers would have to do, but it's also the sort of minutia I really don't want to have to deal with in a game. It makes adventuring seem more like a job than, well, an adventure.

I know there are stat-grinding aficionados out there. For them, this game must be heaven (and the excellent graphics will definitely help). If that's not your case, however, chances are you'll find it a soulless, charmless drag.
  3. Sep 10, 2016
    Typical overrated Atlus trash. A game i should have liked, since i am an oldtime hardcore PC RPG fan, but if you think this game has anything to do with the classics, you need to change your hobby and begin stamp collections.

There is no challenge in this game. The gameplay mechanics are very simple and boring, all you have to do is grind like your life is worth nothing and you can throw hours upon hours in the garbage bin. Grind=win type of game, like most of Atlus trash, with a nice anime/manga presentation to appeal to the kiddies.

Just avoid if you value your time.

1. Oct 15, 2013
    It all comes down to your affinity for JRPGs, but credit falls to Atlus for offering curious newbies that helping hand, a hand that has the strength and power to pull you into the world and become entranced.
  2. Mixes trademark difficulty and accessibility with surprising finesse. Not just a brilliant entry in the series, but a benchmark for other games of its type.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    There is a tonne of game here, too - the main storyline can easily get you 30 hours or more of gameplay, and then there are a multitude of side quests, post-game content, and replayability to stretch that out even further.