9.3

1. Feb 7, 2013
    Truly remarkable game and one of the best games period on the 3DS, this game is the first salvo that the 3DS is launching at the Vita this year, an attack the Vita might not survive in the US. First, it's easily one of the best SRPG's out there. Compounded by the fact that the graphics are absolutely stunning, with the cutscenes easily being the best system is offering right now. The complexity and the strategy needed to keep all your units alive every fight, as once they die they are gone for good, gives the game an added depth. It helps that each unit has it's own personality that makes you care for each of them individually, to the point where having even one of them die in battle is more than enough of a reason to reset it. If you do that you will be resetting pretty often as just one wrong move can put your flyer near an archer and you're done for. Still, it adds much depth to a game that already has a ton of depth to it. This game is easily one of the best on the system and it's going to stay that way for a long time. Every 3DS owner needs to pick this up as it will add a ton of game time to your 3DS, especially if the system has grown kinda stale on you over these past few months. Expand
  2. Dec 17, 2013
    Awesome game. The new pairing system is very interesting and open whole new strategies to the series. Some call it unballanced, probably aren't using the pairings to their favor. LOTS of characters with charisma and fun dialogues. Lots of fan-service too, but it won't get in the way for newcomers. Essential 3DS title. Expect to spend 100+ hours on this beast.
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    This is a Fire Emblem game, through and through. If you've played one before, you know what to expect. The best part is being able to flip open my 3DS and resume from right where I left off. The game is slightly easier than I expected, but it has a lot of depth and replay value. I'm having fun finishing new challenges even after having beaten the game and max leveled most of my characters. Now I need to explore strategies that will strengthen them even further through the Second Seals. This game is fantastic. Expand
  4. May 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't mind the story mode, the graphics, the music, the cutscenes, and most of the story. What I find stupid is that there seems like a lack of different types of character, then therefore, the weapons usable by each character; I liked Radiant Dawn, they weren't as general as characters in this game, instead of a paladin, there are ax paladin, sword paladin, lance paladin, even bow paladin. This added a layer a strategy, so that you had to have one character attacking a specific other one, making sure that it is a good idea after that. In Awakening, you can beat a large number of enemies with one character because of the number of different weapons this character can use. This isn't a problem for most of the game, until you need to get Priam, which you need 30 characters leveled up. This brings me to my next problem with this game, leveling up, boring and tedious, realizing more effective ways to level up characters all of the time, eventually using one character at a time. This is when I sometimes get annoyed to find the best level for the specific characters, sometimes finding the weakness of your character, forcing to search more. I say that it is tedious and boring because you have to kill every single one of them. I may be the only one that thinks this way, but in call of duty and most other first person shooter games, you learn how to go into the fray of a battle and shoot to kill whatever comes in sight. In this game, for this part of this game at least, you have to kill everyone on screen, so you're trying to find the best way to kill your opponent. A counter argument that may come up may be "there risen, it doesn't matter, it's pretty much zombies, things that should be killed," I'd say "what about when you fight against things that aren't risen?" Well, I can't really think of something to replace it, to get the amount of experience you need without using DLC, which adds more money to that $40 I've already spent on this game. People I noticed mention multiple art styles as a positive thing. I look at the appearances (the 3D characters) and art styles. Do they look similar? NO, THEY LOOK STUPID, the Black Knight for example, he's supposed to a have a helmet to mask his head. Guess what. No helmet, and face is see able, this is similar for most (if not all) of the SpotPass/DLC characters. Overall, 6.3/10, it's pretty pathetic it was beat out by both of the Rabbids Games on the 3DS. Expand
  5. Mar 23, 2014
    I already did a review for this game, but i felt like it did not do it any justice. This game is hands down one of the best RPG's ever made overall and is one of my favorite games of all time. It surpassed Pokemon Platinum as my favorite RPG (and that my friend is very difficult).

This is by far the most accessible game in the series. I am a first time Fire Emblem player and i know the
    others have perma-death that you can't turn off. Awakening gives you casual mode and difficulty levels to make the game easier for new players and it works like a charm. The gameplay is a bit tricky to get used to at first for a newcomer but for veterans it's immediately accessible and it's awesome how you have to strategically place your units so that they can win the battle and not die.

And speaking of units, the best thing about this game is just how well developed and written the characters are. Every single character is memorable. Chrom is a badass, your unit, regardless of gender, is very well thought out and is really well spoken. I could talk about every character, but i'd spend hours talking about each one. The marriage system makes the character all the more engrossing and engaging and they have children and with all the possible couples you can make, this game will give you hours, upon hours, upon HOURS of content. I have over 30 hours and i have yet to pass the first playthrough AND i have created a new game with a new Avatar. Another thing, even on Normal Casual mode, you will absolutely hate losing characters in the game. Thats how fleshed out they are.

The visuals are great. The in-game graphics look good but the rendered cutscenes look stunning and gorgeous. The score is among the best scores of 2013, alongside Metal Gear Rising. Id Purpose, Devine Decree and Don't Speak Her Name are among the best tracks of any score i have heard in a video game and of 2013.

Fire Emblem Awakening is a masterpiece within the realm of RPG and strategy. A great story with fantastic visuals, soundtrack and gameplay with one of the best cast of characters i have seen in an RPG and in a game in general. An absolutely mesmerizing experience and for me, it's one of the best games ever made.
  6. Nov 23, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening is nothing short of superb. With such a large amount of missions and replay value, this game is one of the best in the series.

This game stands out from the other games by including a new pair up system, that really adds to the idea that your units should stick close together and that forming bonds between them is important. To reward you are some the best
    support conversations with some of the best writing for the series. You learn to cherish each unit despite their inherent flaws.

Most of the missions are comprised of either killing the leader or routing the opposition. Sometimes there are unique stipulations, but otherwise that's it. This is perhaps where this game is it's weakest as several previous mission has had a variety of missions that focus on defending your position or trying to escape. This makes everything a little bit one sided and the core of the game focused on building an all out offense. Only once is a serious defensive strategy utilized. In one instance, you must protect someone for roughly 10 turns. If you want to defend them, you cannot pair up because otherwise, the enemies will reach her and it's over. Other than that, the game sticks to the usual (that is unless you play lunatic).

The graphics and art style took awhile to get used to as I've grown up with a different style, and I was concerned about more steampunk type things making it's way into Fire Emblem, but that was not the case. Every character looks unique and accentuates their oddities. They do have strange looking feet in battle animation, but it eventually becomes quite endearing. The 3-D looks gorgeous when turned on and everything is much more fluid, unlike Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

As far as music is concerned, they spared no expense in making a solid soundtrack. Some of the music is particularly moving.

On the storyline note, this game was also excellent, although there were a few moments later in the game where I felt they were dragging things out too long. The game occasionally even gives you storyline options that really cause you to pause and reflect on your circumstances that furthers your emotional investment. It's too bad that these decisions are meaningless and do nothing at all...

The DLC is great and there's plenty of it. Multiplayer isn't much, but you can battle against some street pass teams and do a few other things, like recruit their avatar character.

Overall, this is one of the best Fire Emblem games available, but the constant attack to win missions and the pseudo-choices presented in the storyline are just somewhat disappointing. Otherwise, please go out and buy this. You'll be glad you did.
  7. Aug 14, 2013
    This was my very first time playing Fire Emblem. I have to say that I love all rpg including jrpg. But I just couldn't get into this game at all. I played for about 3 hours and just shut down the game. I know people love this game but I just did not find it fun. The anime cut scenes are fun to watch but the in game interactions between characters where quit dull. The graphics are great for a 3DS game but I could not get into the micromanaging of all the characters on a hand held device. For this kind of game I would need total immersion with my 60" TV and my Beyerdynamic headphones. But to me it just falls flat on a handheld device. And I do love a good 50+ rpg/jprg. Expand
  8. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is amazing. The graphics are amazing, which is difficult since it has 3 different art styles. it has these 3D models that you see walk around and in battle animations, it has beautiful 3D anime cut scenes, it has 2D anime characters for dialog, and it has sprites that battle on a 3D open word. This game is hard, but the different settings allow for new comers to play with ease. The characterization is amazing and you feel a connection to almost all of them, and if one of them dies you will be devastated. The gameplay is fun since it is an evolved form of Rock, Paper Scissors. My only gripe is that i wish you could turn perma-death on or off at will and have saving mid battle be turned on or off at will. This game gets a 9.8/10 Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2013
    Over the period I have owned a 3DS, I have purchased games of varying types. Small disappointments aside (*ahem* Kindgom Hearts *ahem*), I had always been hard pressed to pick a favorite. I had my fill of nostalgia with the Ocarina of Time remake, had loads of fun with both Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2, got extremely invested in (and touched by) Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. It seems, however, Fire Emblem: Awakening has come out the gates swinging to grab that title and just not let it go. No game in the platform is as addictive, as flawless in its presentation, as outright fun to delve into. It says something that I, having always liked my RPGs to NOT be grind-heavy, keep purposefully grinding and grinding this game just to have it last longer. This is an instant classic, and (so far, at least) the absolute best bang for your buck in the 3DS platform. Expand
  10. Feb 16, 2014
    Another great entry in the series. Much improved over the DS shadow dragon. They've managed to find plenty of ways to modernise the series without harming the core gameplay. Great job!
  11. Jul 13, 2013
    A great game with great replayablity. Currently on 95 hours myself after finishing it quickly on normal and then going back on a harder setting. I still haven't got a chance to play all the free maps that keep being added that finishes off the story. What you get out of the game really depends what you put into it, there are a great wealth of characters but I found it too tiresome to pay attention to all of them so I just picked my favorites. I had fantastic fun marrying them all off and turning their children into mutated galeforce-using super mutants, but after I did that the later levels were a tad easy, Lucina was a soloing monster. Still there are 2 more difficulty levels that I haven't played so there is that left to enjoy. Expand
  12. May 6, 2013
    Fire Emblem: Awakening is one of the best reasons to own a 3DS at the moment, There is a surprising amount of depth here for a handheld game and this is easily one of the best experiences you can find on the Nintendo 3DS at the moment. The story is interesting with some nice twists and the game also has some of the most interesting and fun characters to interact with in a long time, the game will last a solid 20-25 hours on a basic runthrough of the story alone but if you add in the fact that there is loads of side content, character development to explore and tons of ongoing DLC support for the game you can easily double, if not triple that gametime.

The gameplay is a turn based strategy RPG where you move your characters on a battlefield from a top-down perspective and defeat your enemies by positioning your characters in ways to get the advantage over enemies, for one example if you position two characters next to each other they will support each other in battle with provides bonuses to stuff like defense, attack and other things and also improves those two characters relationships that can lead to fleshing out those characters more.

There is two modes for playing this game... Classic mode makes it so that if a character dies on the battlefield they will die permanently and you will lose them unless you reload a save, This makes the game very challenging but it also adds to the tension of the experience since every move counts. There is also the Casual mode which turns off perma-death so characters that die will come back at the end of that particular battle, Whether you play Classic or Casual you will find an enjoyable experience, Just make sure you pick the right one for you when you start the game. There is also 3 different difficulties to the game which you can choose from. With all these varying difficulties that will add up the possible amount of time you can play this for as well.

The graphics were quite nice for 3DS but I didn't feel they were amazing personally, but nonetheless they are not bad. The CG Cutscenes for this game are absolutely gorgeous however.

You get to create your own character to use in the game which I think is a first for Fire Emblem if I remember correctly. the character creation options have a fair bit of depth so you can feel like you have a lot of choice on how your character is designed.

There is a very deep leveling up system in the game where you can change upgrade classes and also switch classes of characters which can lead to interesting and powerful characters. There is also some other features in the game that add to the depth like Marriage among other things.

There is a great amount of downloadable content support for this game so far which is nice to see on 3DS.

Overall Fire Emblem Awakening is one of the best games you can find on the Nintendo 3DS, It's definitely got the most depth of any 3DS game on the market so far. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has a 3DS or is looking for a game to make them jump into the 3DS.
  13. Jul 31, 2013
    Absolutley brilliant game. Tops my 3DS games chart with nearly 80 hours racked up on before finally beating the story mode. The story is pretty good, as are the graphics, but it's the gameplay that really makes this game so good. Incredibly addictive, and tonnes of replayability. Haven't played a Fire Emblem game before, but after this I certainly want more. Easily the best handheld game on the 3DS, and probably the best handheld game ever made. And Fredrick, Cheers Bro. Expand
  14. Jul 20, 2013
    Extremely good game for being on a handheld. Is mostly perfect for what it tries to be. Offers a satisfying amount of customization making the game really feel like your experience. Level design is very solid. Strategy is heavily implemented, making later levels challenging but not frustrating. The implementation of casual mode fixes the issue of units not dying forever and instead. The graphics are very well done for 3DS standards. The art style is based on anime similar to previous entries in the series. All of the characters are highly developed and inevitably create a pseudo-bond between you and the character. The story is a little blurred, but if you can withstand the long segments of only dialogue, a wholly inspired and at times emotional tale is present. My only real gripe is that the game drags on just a little too long. However that's just a personal gripe. This is the #1 game to have for 3DS at the moment. Hopefully this game will finally popularize the Fire Emblem series, finally giving it the attention it deserves. Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2013
    Fire Emblem: Awakening is practically flawless in its execution as a fun, addictive strategy RPG. If you are looking to get into the series and wish to expand your 3DS library with quality titles, Awakening should not be overlooked.
  16. Apr 3, 2013
    I was never really into the Fire Emblem games before now, but this game really changed that, this game is amazing. its got a great story, lovable charters, great maps and challenges,and all sorts of things, 1 of the things i liked really enjoyed about this game was the support ability, the ability to see how your units really get along,(along with marriage if you really try) this also at times provides moments of humor (such as your avatar trying to teach Frederic how to stomach down bear, its more funny than it sounds). However, the thing i liked the most in this game is the ability to use casual mode. which makes it so you don't permanently loose your team when they go down. its also a lot less depressing and makes the game a lot more enjoyable. 1 more feature in this game is the ability to get characters from older Fire emblem games. (like Ike and such) from the bonus box, sure they don't talk or are involved in the story, but its still nice to see familiar face. in short, i would strongly recommend this game to players of rts games, fire emblem fans, and all other gamers alike, it is very enjoyable Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2014
    What a game! If you like the tactical-RPG genre, stop reading and go to your favourite shop ;)
    If you are still doubting, the game offers some little twists over the classic genre, with not too long battles, easy to read, all packed with a consistent story and character relation system.
    Also, the game can be played in hardcore mode (don't remember the exact name) where the fallen
    characters die for real, they are out of the party forever. The feeling of care over all of them is awesome, and you will really think deeply your following moves in battle or you will cry later!
    In short, in my opinion is a long, perfectly executed and very replayable title. You should buy it!
  18. Jun 1, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening does everything right. Well everything that matters anyway. It is deep and stylish yet accessible and streamlined. All the characters are like-able and when one dies in battle it is genuinely heart wrenching in a way that X-Com Enemy Unknown wasn't.

The only criticism I have is that there are too many talking heads with dialogue boxes and not enough cut scenes with
    voice acting. You can skip the dialogue with one press of the start button when all the talking get's too boring and the load times are none existent but the cut scenes are of such a high standard it is a pity they weren't used more to tell the story.

In Summary FE Awakening is the best strategy RPG I have ever played and the best reason to own a 3DS.
  19. Dec 23, 2013
    This is currently my favourite game on the 3ds and it's one of my favourite games of 2013. The storyline isn't super original and I saw a lot of the twists coming but what really makes the story shine is the well written cast of characters and the conversations that most of them can have between each other. In Awakening you have the option to make the game a lot easier than all the other FE games but i always felt the other games where way too hard for a strategy game noob like me, so I'm glad you have the option to make it easier. There's a ton of levels, lots of characters,multiplayer, street pass battles, lots of extra content and you can even buy DLC so this game will definitely keep you occupied for a long time. Expand
  20. Jan 12, 2014
    Fire Emblem Awakening is a wonderful game that should be played by all fans of the RPG Genre/Turn Based System. This takes turn based combat to a new level, as you have new people in new battlefields. The main story is around 20-30 hours long, depending on the difficulty level you choose, and the fun of the game makes replay value very high. The high amount of Spotpass items, DLC, and good streetpass capabilities cause this game to also have great replay value outside of story mode! Highly recommended for all RPG Fans!!

Gameplay: 10/10
    Story: 9.5/10
    Music: 10/10
    Presentation: 9.5/10
    Length: 9/10
    Overall: 9.5/10
  21. Feb 27, 2013
    I'm a longtime fan and it's great to see FE evolve yet retain its essence. Intelligent Systems has managed to perfect the classic FE formula while adding new elements as well. They have listened to the fans and provided more character depth and support conversations. The game is more friendly for casual players than ever with the new casual mode and the normal/easy mode. However, Awakening's lunatic mode is a tremendous challenge, even for FE veterans like me. The music is lush, the gameplay is sublime, the presentation is the best on 3ds, honestly I can't find any fault in this game except that it's so addictive you'll be sucked into it and use up all your free game time! If you have a 3ds, don't do yourself the disservice of not playing this game. Expand
  22. Apr 28, 2013
    Fire Emblem: Awakening is one of the best games for the 3DS but only if you like the genre of turn base combat and micro managing the soldiers under your command. The is no exploration except for picking places on a map. It is also a costly game for buying extra content.
  23. Mar 22, 2013
    Awakening is my first game in the Fire Emblem series. I love the emphasis on strategy in this RPG adventure. The permanent death feature can be upsetting when you lose a character after a lots of leveling and relationship building, but it's one of Fire Emblem's best feature because it makes battle strategy very crucial. You must decide whether your strongest soldier can hold a line, or whether to risk a weak character in a pinnacle portion of a battle. I strongly recommend that all non-beginner gamers keep the feature on.

Overall, if you like RPGs and/or strategy games, do yourself a favor and play this game!
  24. Jan 25, 2014
    This is the only Fire Emblem game I played, and I bought it after hearing it was good. But wow, I was really blown away by this game, it's easily one of the best games on the 3DS.

First, the game looks great, the drawn portraits are very well done and show the characters in different varieties of emotion, the actual in game models are still pretty good, but they could've used them
    better.
    The prerendered cutscenes look amazing, I believe it is cel shading, which works very well on the 3DS.

Great cast of voice actors, Kyle Hebert, Liam O'Brien, Laura Bailey, Yuri Lowenthal, Tara Platt, and a lot of other voice actors that aren't in the limelight, but still do a good job.

The gameplay is fun, you can have characters work together on the battlefield to help eachother in combat, and build relationships which improve their strengths when working together. It also provides a relationship system where characters can become friends, or marry eachother. If you're not big into strategy, you might not like it, but I suggest at least giving it a try, I believe there's a demo on the Nintendo eShop.

My only issue with this game is that during the character creation for your Avatar, at least for the males, the choices are pretty limited, you can make him look like a 10 year old, a femme boy, or a really manly man with a chin that would make Leno blush. I admit, it's only a superficial thing, but it just kind of bugs me that there's no happy medium.
  25. Aug 25, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening is a perfect 3DS game of a year, The storyline is amazing, graphics are good. I have been so much enjoyed this game. The boss fights are extremely insane.
  26. Dec 28, 2013
    Awakening is a proper heir of this fantastic series.
    The game has all the things that made the success of Fire Emblem the loveable characters, the apparently simple but hooking story, the intense battles, the perfect, very rich and yet accessible, gameplay,...
    But this time with the 3DS specs, the graphics have significantly improved. The game is gorgeous, the fighting animations brutal
    and the cinematics breathtaking.
    New elements have also been added to the gameplay, and they are all very well thought. The most noticeable is the possibility to make "duos" of characters, which adds a whole new depth to the battles and tons of possibilities.
    The only bad thing I could say about this game is its difficulty. The Normal/Hard modes are too easy, when the Insane difficulty is ridiculous. Disappointing when we know how well Intelligent Systems did with the previous games, but that's forgivable as the game strikes perfectly right on all other levels.

I was always confident into Intelligent Systems to offer us a great game for their comeback on the 3DS, and I was right. Fire Emblem: Awakening is up there with the best games of the series.
    I'm more than glad this episode sold well, as it could have been the last according to Nintendo. Fire Emblem is one of the most classic video game series of all time and definitely one of the best, and proves it once again with this great episode.
  27. Mar 25, 2014
    I love the Fire Emblem series. Unfortunately, I don't share the same enthusiasm for Awakening.

Honestly, I wanted to love the game. I expected that I would love it. It was actually one of the reasons I got my 3DS. What ended up happening was I liked the game well enough, but it fell short of my expectations.

There are a few glaring faults in Awakening. First, the infinite number of
    reclassing makes the game extremely easy, even on the hardest setting. Second, the story is cliched and has very little development. What you get is a plot that speeds along, but it lacks the political intrigue of the earlier FE games. Both of these problems I can overlook, but the map design I simply cannot ignore.

Quite simply, the map design in Awakening is deplorable. The maps are boring and their layouts are not conducive to strategic gameplay. What I mean is that it's obvious how to place your units at first glance of the map. There are few maps where cowering in a corner does not lead to an easy rout. To compound this problem is that fact there are only two winning conditions in Awakening. Enemies will always dive head first into your units.

Buy the game, but don't expect it to be as good as older Fire Emblem entries.
  28. Feb 5, 2013
    if you don't like turn based strategy games (valkirya chronicles, ghost recon shadow wars) then read no further, this game isn't for you. other than that, there's not a single negative I can give this game. the turn based strategy system in this game is the best I've ever used. seriously. there is so much to this game it is ridiculous. there are an endless amount of ways to approach each battle and decisions you make in battle will affect your characters and even the story in meaningful ways. if you have a tendency of pairing two ppl up in battle then you can also harness their relationship outside of battle through conversations. also, in classic mode (the way the game is meant to be played) character deaths are permanent and any story branches pertaining to that character and their actions will be gone. this is real decision making (spare me your conversational choose-your-own-adventure BS). the character building system is also very deep. you can level your characters, find dropped weapons for them to use, craft weapons to make them better, forge relationships and even switch their classes. I could go on for hours about this game's amazing depth but that's not what a review is supposed to be about. the last thing I would like to touch on is the graphics. the cut scenes are truly breathtaking and the 3D effects work beautifully. the actual in game graphics are the standard 3DS fare and are more than "good enough" to portray the action. the overall attention to detail and the varied environments make the game a pleasure to look at. the story and characters are all top notch and very engaging. in summary, if you are a turn based strategy fan then you should have bought this game yesterday. if you don't already own a 3DS/3DSXL then go buy the bundle NOW. Expand
  29. Jun 10, 2013
    The fun gameplay and the amazing 3D graphics all blend together to make something amazing. One of my favorite games in the series, Fire emblem awakening is an amazing game.
  30. Sep 14, 2013
    This game right here is the reason why you should own a 3DS. The characters and storyline is amazing. The combinations of player modes and difficulty levels makes for very high replay value (Classic mode will suck your soul dry, be warned). This game is nothing short of a masterpiece. I am personally a long-time Fire Emblem fan, but my brother picked this right up and fell in love with it and he's never played a Fire Emblem game before (though he does love FF Tactics and Ogre Battle so it was right up his alley). This is certainly different from previous Fire Emblem games but that should be welcomed by now. Who wants the same old thing? If I did, I'd go back and play the old Fire Emblem games. This was new and refreshing in so many ways. It's too bad Ocarina of Time 3D completely overshadows this game because otherwise it would be the best 3DS game. For now, it will have to settle for #2. Expand
  31. Feb 4, 2013
    Easily a goty contender and it's portable! Get it now... It is everything that is fine in a srpg and so much more. Excelent in every aspect, from character development to graphics...
  32. Feb 15, 2014
    Just buy this game, just buy it. If you don't own a 3DS just buy one. That's how good this game is. Easily one of the top 5 best games of all time. Buy it.
  33. Apr 8, 2014
    This game is very very good. I've not yet finished it, but after 36 hours I can say it is a must buy for the 3DS. Awakening combines the classic Fire Emblem battle mechanics with a variety of new features which make it much more entertaining to play.

The in-depth class and skill system creates great variety in how you approach each confrontation, full 3D combat animations freshen up
    long battles, playing with perma-death on forces you to think carefully before acting, and support conversation between characters really make you like and feel like you get to know the characters you control.

The only issues I found with the game is that the few cutscenes are so ridiculously well done and epic, I found myself constantly disappointed when story scenes were done with chat boxes instead of full cutscenes. Moreover, some characters are very limited in whom they can gain support status with which makes the player not want to use them as much.

In the end, Awakening is definitely one of the best in the franchise and a true gem of the 3DS platform. Anyone who loves RPG's or is interested in them should buy this game. It has enough depth to satisfy an experienced player, but can be forgiving enough for newcomers too.
  34. Mar 29, 2013
    This is a game-changer. This game has so many features, So many characters, So many stories, Such high quality. Epic StreetPass and SpotPass, Excellent DLC quality and VERY generous free updates. So re-playable with the limitless free SpotPass Cast, you could be playing for years. A must-have for any gamer, and excellent motivation to buy yourself a 3DS, especially with Poke'mon X/Y coming out.
  35. May 24, 2013
    The best "Fire Emblem" sequel which features a new designs and great graphics from its predecessors. It is very recommended for gamers who loved RPG and tactical games, but don't forget to play the original.
  36. Aug 7, 2013
    I have always been a fan of the Fire Emblem series and I firmly believed that it is one of the best, if not the best turn based strategy series to date. I was not disappointed with this game at all. It includes a lot of the original strategy elements in the series: weapon triangle, classes with distinct characteristics, weapons. What was new was the support system, marriage+child system and addition of skills through class changes. All of these elements were implemented in a way that made the game have increased replayability and more depth/story development with the characters.

The addition of both classic and casual modes made the game appeal to not only hardcore fire emblem fanatics like myself, but also to someone who just enjoys playing through the story leisurely. There is also a lot of downloadable content to further extend the games replayability and uniqueness. The lunatic modes also offer a great challenge to Fire Emblem vets.

The only complaint I'd have with this game would be the fact that the story is a bit short and the difficulty doesn't scale properly, if you were to follow the story and not do any prologues. There were times where I had to level grind random enemies in order to move on with the story. The characters given to you through recruitment are also a bit underlevelled and become a bit underutilized unless you grind them before you play through the story. It'd make sense if they gave you recruits who are at least somewhat onpar to the enemy in terms of level there's a few characters I got at the end of the game where I hardly got a chance to experiment with before the game ended...stat leveling was also a bit luck based Vaike comes to mind where when I leveled I hardly got any stat points and sometimes I would get a lot this is less of a problem in Hard mode, but in Lunatic, it's just unfair.

Overall a great game, worthy to be called a Fire Emblem game and a great addition to the franchise!
  37. Jul 12, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening does everything right. Well everything that matters anyway. It is deep and stylish yet accessible and streamlined. All the characters are like-able and when one dies in battle it is genuinely heart wrenching.
  38. Jan 10, 2014
    First fire emblem game I ever played.
    It's one of the greatest games on the 3DS, a must buy for fans of: rpgs, strategy games, anime, medieval times, anyone with good taste.
    Visuals=perfect
    Sound=perfect
    Gameplay=perfect
    I'm sure the fans of the series will love it.
    My problem, why characters had no feet?
  39. Mar 18, 2014
    Fire Emblem is a series not known to many gamers, but it should. The series has incredible story and strategy to it. One reason it's not a popular series is due to the harsh difficulty that some of the previous games present, turning away many players. Awakening changes that by being more 'friendly' to series newcomers, while satisfying old fans with the rich dialogue, intriguing story, and in depth role playing. This essentially makes it the best game in the series to start with, even though it's much later in the series (the 13th installment, to be specific).
    Pros; - Story (The game's story isn't necessarily 'new', but it executes and presents the ideas in a refreshing way)
    - Presentation (The game, although somewhat pixelated, has some of the best detail in their models and textures of any 3DS game, and that's before the incredible 3D effect and beautifully rendered anime-style cut-scenes)
    - Strategy (The game requires strategy to beat, and it can become quite in-depth. Thankfully, it's not so in-depth that newcomers will have a hard time)
    - Role-playing (There are many characters, each of whom can marry and become a certain class. The game boasts some very nice role playing aspects that will satisfy many players)
    - Content (The game's main quest-line can be beat in around 15-25 hours if not much time is spent grinding or doing side quests, but with those two in mind, playtime can exceed 80 hours. On top of that, there are DLC's for relatively cheap prices)
    - Online interaction (You can fight players teams who you Streetpass with, a nice bonus to an already huge game)
    Cons; - Repetitive (The game's main quest-line and the side quests can become tedious for the impatient players)
    Overall, the game is the best in the series, and possible the best RPG on the 3DS to date. The game will provide with dozens of hours of gameplay, and while you may not enjoy every minute of it, it's still worth the buy, even if you only play through once.
  40. Apr 23, 2013
    Best game on 3DS.All it needs would be online play and for it to be released sooner in Europe.10/10 I got 30hours of gameplay from it in 4 days.Probably the best made fire emblem aswell.
  41. Apr 28, 2013
    If you're a fan of the series, want to get into them or just like an awesome game; it is IMPERMEABLE, the fact, that you should play this wonder of technology. Almost everything about it is pure perfection. Easily the best Fire Emblem game ever released and apart from OOT (which will always best BGE), the best game for the 3DS up until now (April 2013). The only "complains" someone MIGHT have is some random dialogues (for example I just encountered one about "muscle memory" didn't know muscles had a brain, though they should create a game like that) and the fact that there are limited choices for the creation of a more personal avatar (meaning you may want to create an avatar that looks like a relative, a friend or even a celebrity as I did if you can't achieve creating someone that's like you) Other than those, selective, blemishes this is the absolute SRPG. If you have a 3DS, BUY IT NOW. Expand
  42. Mar 12, 2013
    Where do I even start? For a Tactical RPG this game has it all. There is clearly a huge budget at work here, providing a gorgeous portable game with a great deal of depth. I don't want to get into too much detail but I just wanted to say that this is the best Portable Tactical RPG I've played since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. There is so much to see and do, and there's new levels and challenges being added by Nintendo thru DLC. If you want a new game for your 3DS, get this one. Why won't Sully love me? Expand
  43. Mar 7, 2014
    No doubt one of the best game I have ever played. The story, game-play and graphics (especially the animation) are perfect combination. Difficulties are suitable for most players with different options to choose from. DLC are available for purchases to extend the awesomeness. Definitely worth every dollar you pay for the game. Nothing much to criticize about and is purely a masterpiece. Look forward to a even better game in the future! Expand
  44. Jul 20, 2013
    Did you ever want a fire emblem game with endless amounts of battles and experience? Ever didn't like the pressure of losing your comrades in battle for good? How about being able to marry certain couples to each other and having a family? How about being able to recruit some units from past fire emblem games? Or wanting some extra bonus missions? Maybe you’ve wanted to play online versus some other human players? Yes? All that and more awaits in this remarkable Fire Emblem experience! So many characters to choose from each with a unique personality and charms as well as a variety of different classes to chose from. The story is quite long (got a good 15-20 hours’ worth) with a lot of twists that I wasn't expecting at all. For a handheld game it is absolutely mind blowing, the amount of detail, content and fan dedication that went into this just makes it outstanding. It has a ridiculous amount of replay-ability. One of my favorite things about this game is the relationships. You can unlock some interesting dialogues as well as getting certain characters married! And let’s just say marriage has very big benefits. I have easily put in 100hours into this game and I haven't been able to put it down. It is easily the best game I have played on the 3ds, as well as my new favorite game of the Fire Emblem series. If you’re a fan especially of Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, you will love this game. If you’re looking for a new tactical strategy game to play, then I promise you this game is for you. I am also warning you, this game will be surprisingly addictive. Expand
  45. Nov 28, 2013
    An incredible game--very well done characters and art, great music (if a little overused at times), an incredible script, and an amazing combat system. The story takes unexpected twists and turns and the added Paralogues extend the main game for dozens of hours. I've literally played for 270+ hours and I still play. Any fan of strategy RPGs should absolutely not miss out on this experience.

+ Great story and characters
    + Impressive visuals
    + Great replay value
    + Tactical gameplay at its best

- Multiplayer options are extremely limited
    - Full voice acting (at least for the main scenes!) would have been better

PRESENTATION: 9/10
    CORE GAME: 9/10
    VISUALS: 8/10
    AUDIO: 7/10
    GAMEPLAY: 9.5/10
    LASTING APPEAL: 10/10

Overall Score: 9/10
  46. Feb 2, 2014
    This is the first Fire Emblem game I have ever played and I am totally (positively) surprised by the game. Fire Emblem is a great tactical game and has impressive graphics and an epic story. You have many possibilities in how to train your army. Your Units gather friendship points, if you put them close to each other on the battlefield or if you melt two units into one bigger unit. If they like each other much enough, they might even have children, that can be recruited, too.
    At some point you can even change a unit's class, so you are able to customize your army to your liking.

At first, you can select between three difficulties which influence the strength and mass of enemy units in each level. Additionally you can choose, if permadeath shall be activated. This means, that fallen Units are dead for good. I like this option so much, because you want to optimize your strategy in order to minimize casualties.
    Still, I like to have quite a challenge but I got the feeling, that you need a lot of luck to beat the game on the highest difficulty and permadeath activated. I needed to retry some missions over and over until I got enough critical hits to kill an enemy in a certain number of turns in order to survive. I wished that this difficulty was less luck-based but skill-based.

There is also a StreetPass feature which let you play against other armies and rewards you with extra weaponry.

All in all the game is very very much fun. I love the story and its presentation. I love the gameplay, the graphics, animations and sound. I will give this game a 9, because I didn't like that luck or grinding seems to be a big factor on higher difficulties.

I would recommend everyone to at least try the demo, which was very fun and gives a good impression of the game.
  47. Feb 5, 2013
    This game is awesome. It has everything I expected from it and a little more. I've played other FE games but never finished them. I love the fact that there is DLC. Cause I hate when games go longer than they should have ruining he story.
    Well, it's time to keep playing.
  48. Dec 23, 2013
    Literally the best game I have ever played. My favorite game of all time. If you like strategy RPG games you are in for a serious treat. Great Graphics, Great combat, Great character build-up, and Great Plotline! That is all I can really say.
  49. Mar 5, 2013
    Best FE in the series? Probably yes! Loved this game from start to finish. Side quest, children system, bonus arena map/ wifi bonus team/ DLC (free and paid), what not to love!!

Highly recommended to any SLG fans!
  50. May 18, 2013
    The game is good, refreshing; yet still brings back memories from earlier games. The new support function is amazing, and being able to marry characters together is a long wanted feature.

The biggest problem with the game is the huge gap in difficulties. Hard mode is ridiculously easy for veterans of the game, yet Lunatic is nearly impossible without hours of grinding particular units.
  51. Feb 24, 2013
    I didn't know what to expect when i heard about a 3ds Fire Emblem game but this is easily the best game of the franchise. You can play as characters from every FE game via SpotPass and dlc. Everything in the game is solid and well executed. I believe this is the best 3ds game to date. If you like RPG's or strategy games i would definitely recommend it.
  52. Mar 4, 2013
    Its like chess but with tiny people. Lol no im just kidding in all honesty if you dont know what fire emblem is its like final fantasy tactics but a million times more in depth. Great game. It's all fun and games until one of your heroes gets perma-killed. 10/10 would bang.
  53. Mar 20, 2013
    "FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING is the best FIRE EMBLEM I’ve ever played. It’s the fully realized potential of the series & stands as the best Nintendo 3Ds game right now.

The story is fantastic as the game takes place over multiple global wars spanning years while injecting surprisingly effective science fiction into the mix. The characters are distinct, unique & memorable as you’ll grow
    attached to these people & fight to ensure that they never fall in battle.

Add in multiple difficulty modes, DLC maps, limitless variations to class customization, marriages effecting future units & the award systems, yeah. FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING is undoubtedly the best game so far of this year.

If you own a 3DS, were thinking of getting one or want the next best SRPG, look no further than this. This is, pun intended, the awakening the series has been longing for."

Read my full review: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6Eye8ICFp
  54. Feb 12, 2014
    This game is definitely an Awakening for me. the games art style and cut scenes has one of the best graphics for the 3ds so far. It has both english and japanese voices witch I have to give some appreciation to. it has a normal mode in which the character do not die in your game save but for you fans of the series their are two modes that have that feature if you choose to one in normal mode and one in hard mode. the game play is the same with a new partner system where you can get stat boost depending on who you choose to be with. each character has their own interesting stories and conversations. their are also some maps you can get via the eshop which is a minor nit pick of mine since you have to pay for the maps but I do not mind so if you want to get it then you can. the sound track is done nicely as well having some familiar sound effects such as the level up theme. overall if you want a challenging strategy game with a good story, great characters, and beautiful art and sound design I get this game. for those who do not like turn base strategy I wound avoid at all cost. Expand
  55. Aug 19, 2013
    Wow, I've been wanting this game, but I waited this long because I wasn't sure I'd actually like it. Boy was I wrong. It's my favorite 3DS game. I'm incredibly sucked in!
  56. Jun 13, 2013
    Sadly, this is the first fire emblem game I have ever played. In result, I can't compare to the earlier games of the series.. But, I must say, this game gave me a great first impression on the series. The graphics & art work are beautiful, the characters are fully developed, & engaging storyline, in which contains a considerate amount of chapters. As a firs-timer & beginner, I believe adding casual mode was an excellent way to open up the series to newcomers & those repelled due to its difficulty, perhaps including the pressure of losing units. I greatly appreciate that they extended our options as in character customization, marriage, bonus teams,difficulty, dlc, etc. I find it very convincing to play the game again to change strategy & who to pair up, also considering some paralogues may only be unlocked through marriage. The only thing that really bothered throughout my gameplay was that unknowingly.. I skipped some playable characters. I wish they'd made it more obvious or non-optional despite my stupidity for skipping them in the first place. According to my research, I missed some really good characters. But I've got to give it to them, I guess that's just another reason why I should replay the game. Lastly, I'd like to compliment on the music. It's greatly composed, totally going on my ipod. Expand
  57. Jun 23, 2013
    Fire Emblem: Awakening is a wonderful game. It combines a perfect level of difficulty (no matter the difficulty level you set) with a fascinating storyline that can really draw you into an immersive world. I can only hope that this becomes the standard for any future Fire Emblem games.
  58. Feb 25, 2014
    Since this was my first Fire Emblem game, I wasn't sure what to expect. But when I did play it... I most certainly was not disappointed. There is so much that is good about this game. As a turn-based strategy, it is as engaging as it is fun. It's always so satisfying to see your character smashing another to bits with his huge axe or slicing another with his sword, maybe even frying him with a lightning spell.

Another upshot of this game is its characters. Every single character has their own backstory, their own strengths and weaknesses, their own style of play. You can run in all-guns-blazing with Barbarians and swordsmen, or you can play more craftily, attacking enemies from afar with magic and bows. And each character is likeable in their own way, be it because they're funny, because they're cute or because they're just plain awesome. Fire Emblem: Awakening has a character for everything.

As I said before, this game is as engaging as it is fun to play, but that's not the only upshot to the game. This game's replay value is endless. You can play it over and over and over again, to perfect your strategy and build the best team you can. And in a game of its type, that is a great addition.

The game's utilisation of StreetPass is among some of the best I've seen - one can battle, buy items from or even recruit other players' avatars, making the possibilities all the more endless!

There are only two reasons why I did not give this game a perfect score. One, the voice acting. To be more specific, the English voice acting. Some of the characters' voices are good, but some don't really fit their character compared to the Japanese voices, and a fair few (I'm looking at you, Sumia) are absolutely awful. However, the game also includes the option to have the Japanese voice instead of the English, which works around that problem.
    The game also lacks online multiplayer, something which would make this game ten times more replayable than it already is. However, the StreetPass functionality more than makes up for this.

To summarise: For many reasons, Fire Emblem: Awakening is an absolutely amazing game. Owning a 3DS and not also owning this is absolute sacrilege.
  59. Dec 29, 2013
    This is probably one of the best handheld games I have ever played, I have logged over 60 hours into the game. The game features impressive use of the 3d technology for the maps as well as fighting cut scenes.

The story is good but predictable. I wasn't as predictable in the beginning, but as I neared the end everything fell into place.

The relationship/support system adds a lot of
    play time to the game, players will want to see all of the support conversations between all of the characters.

The only thing that i disliked about the game was the fact you couldn't verse other players or do the double battles over the internet, you had to be in range of the other player.
  60. Sep 27, 2013
    Short and sweet.
    I've played all the FE's that have been translated and brought to NA.
    This one is the best for many reasons. :)

If you like strategy RPG's and haven't played this game, you are really missing out!
  61. Feb 11, 2013
    I was once told "brilliance comes in small packages", and after playing Fire Emblem: Awakening, those words couldn't be any more true. With superb game play, stunning graphics and a brilliantly written story with top notch voice acting, FF:A is the definitive RPG for 3DS, with tons of replay value, a steady stream of DLC and multiple difficulties this game is sure to keep players tuned for hours to come. Expand
  62. Feb 15, 2013
    A game that, again, makes me glad I bought a 3DS. The visuals are nothing to laugh at and can even compare to Wii standards. The gameplay has been improved greatly since the last installment to the franchise, allowing units to team-up in order to increase stats, void any damge or even grant extra attacks, and with the new Support mechanism, it won't only make sense for anyone to NOT do this. The story is easy to follow, although has its compex parts to it. What makes the characters in this game stand out from any other is how there are so many and yet they all managed to have a personality, some awesome ones at that. Fire Emblem Awakening is like the crowning gem of all the games on the 3DS and the inspiration for all the following games to come. Intelligent Systems and Nintendo made a fantastic game for a system that needed some. Expand
  63. Feb 12, 2013
    I can surmise Fire Emblem Awakening with a sentence: BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW! Fire Emblem Awakening, is my most anticipated handheld title of this year, yes, I looked forward to this game more than Pokemon: X and Y. I'm a longtime fan of SRPG's, seeing as Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite game ever, I love the genre, and I am extremely happy Fire Emblem Awakening sold so well, it shows that people still love SRPG games, and it was also proved last year with XCOM, a game that was fine if you got past all the glitches. Fire Emblem Awakening, is nothing of the sort, it just seems to get better the more I play it.

First off, you can create your main character, which is a nice plus in these games, and you can pick your battle attributes. Whether you want to specialize in Magic, Defense, Attack, Health, all that, and you can even pick your wekaness as well, which is nice. In true Fire Emblem fashion, the game is also very difficult, and has a permadeath mode, which, in my opinion, is the best way to play the game.

I would tell you about the story, but pretty much eveything that ever happens in the game is intrical to the plot, but trust me when I say, this game is highly cinematic, as well as entertaining. The game doesn't have full voice acting, but still does have some to make it cinematic, the cutscenes, as well, are beautiful, this is one of the best looking games on the 3DS. The games presentation is very well done, the story and characters being rich and well-developed, no problems there. The UI is outstanding, not confusing for new players, yet complex enough for you hardcore fans to get. Also, it has a unique system in which you can actually get married to another unit. It basically means when you combine units you make one hell of a super unit, couples unite! You can also have children that can become units as well, and have a unique appearance based on their parents, it makes for a really cool, unique experience.

The mechanics, as per usual, are stellar. You can mange your units, equipment and weapons at the hub of the game, and give them new equipment and such. There are several classes of charcters, so each new party member is useful in his/her own way, making the game add a nice spice of variety. You can also change for primary and secondary weapons/magic in the game in combat, so you can adapt to strategy. When you attack an enemy, it plays a little cutscene, and you actually see the enemy get hit, and you take hits as well. The game has the best SRPG engine of any game I've played, and it shows. I've alway wanted these games to have more flourish to them, and seeing your troops actually attack the enemy, and vice versa. The game does a great job of keeping you invested, showing you eveything that happens makes it much less static, which is a problem with other SRPG's, even my favorite.

To sum it all up, I can say this. This is the best Strategy RPG to come out in years, since Final Fantasy Tactics. If you love strategy, or strategy games, this needs to be an instant purchase for you. The game has so much polish, you can tell a lot of thought was put into it. In fact, I will admit wholeheartedly this game is better than Final Fantasy Tactics, which isn't easy for me to admit. To give you an idea how good it is, this game is a SERIOUS contender for Game of the Year, in my book. I know its only February, but trust me, it really is that good. So far I'm loving it, I know you won't be dissapointed if you buy it as well. This is the BEST handheld game I've played since Dragon Quest 9, and its even better than that! The game is so rich, deep, and full of playability, customization, and a great story that 3 hours in, gets REALLY good.
  64. Mar 27, 2013
    the Fire Emblem game of my dreams. I've played all the handheld games released in the U.S., and none of them compare to this one. I would have preferred to give it a 9.5 or so, but a 10 isn't implausible. games like this validate Nintendo and their relevance to the game world.
  65. Oct 14, 2013
    Oh man, this game is something. This is one of the best games I have ever played in my life. The story is absolutely amazing. The gameplay is awesome, and the overall rpg aspect is just fantastic. I love the freedom you have with your characters and their classes. I love how there is a marriage system due to the awesome new characters you can unlock. I definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes an amazing story and enjoy the turn-based gameplay aspect. Try this game out. Oh, and I really like how critics and users rated this game at 92, I think this game is a 96-100, but I don't mind an official 92 rating. Expand
  66. Mar 13, 2013
    Thiswas my first Fire Emblem game and woah was it an incredible experience. The cutscenes are phenomenal and show off the games gorgeous art style. Battles are fun and tense. Menus and item management is simple, clean, and elegant. Character dialogue is funny, and compelling. The story is wonderful and the game itself is a blast to play. You'll be amazed at how attached you get to your characters, Everyone should play this game, its that good. Expand
  67. Feb 5, 2013
    Simply amazing. Presentation, menus, graphics, gameplay, music and more, this game has it all. I love the sleek new look that they have given everything and the gameplay has gone through a great new reboot. This game is incredibly addicting and doesn't cease to please any hardcore strategy RPG fan. I recommend playing on classic hard mode for your first playthrough, I wouldn't recommend doing casual mode unless that's your thing I guess. All in all, get this game if you have a 3DS. Expand
  68. Jun 22, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3ds certainly lives up to all the hype. Graphics, Sound, Character development, story line, weapons, magic,tactics, and a very long lasting and ultimately addictive experience overall.

And by addictive I'm talking well over 50hrs of gameplay and you will become genuinely attached to the characters in your team. And lets not forget the replay value of the
    game. As soon as you finish it, you will want to do it all again and pick up those characters you may have missed or indeed lost along the way.

Brilliant.
  69. Jul 31, 2013
    Very addictive and breath taking, I am a first timer playing the series. I hope the others fire emblem are as good as this one. I hope this game at least gets a nomination for best game of the year. it deserves it.
  70. Jul 17, 2013
    I've given this a 10 because it's so much fun, in terms of design and execution it's probably a 9. In all seriousness though the 3DS stellar library has another amazing game. I'm a big fan of SRPGs so this was right up my street, it may not convert many people but if you like this sort of thing it's a must buy!
  71. Oct 14, 2013
    Beautifully done game. Once I picked it up it was very hard to put it down. So much in depth character development that each play through could prove to be a bit different. This SRPG puts an aspiring amount of love into their story line. Finally a game where you can marry all of the active characters you can pick from. Different weapon equips and class changes. Superb 3D work. Not to mention there is a Demo on the network if you really want to try the first battle out. This game was worth the full price! Expand
  72. Feb 17, 2014
    Think pokemon X and Y are the reasons to buy a 3DS or 2DS? NOPE this game is the reason.

It has a excellent story and is much easier for new players to the series since permadeath is now a option and not forced on the player along with the child system and the other ways of recruitment you'll have a very powerful team of heros to fight along side the avatar and Chrom
  73. Mar 11, 2014
    Best SRPG ever made, why? It's just so damn polished and packed with content. From the pre-rendered cinematics, to the 3D effects, to the whole support/marriage system, to the skills/class system, to the extra features such as casual mode (which makes the game so much more accessible), this is just one of the most well thought out RPG's I've ever played.

It's also really long, I
    finished the game in 75 hours with all the side quests, and some DLC. Never have I put this many hours into a hand-held game since the original Pokemon/Advance Wars came out.

On a technical level, this game is just mind-blowing, when a flock of birds flew past my screen I nearly dropped the 3DS is shock thinking ants were walking on my screen. Graphically this is the best game in the series.

As a game, there were no compromises made, and Intelligent Systems clearly learned how to make a good formula after all this time. You still get the same 25-40 hour Campaign, but you also get another 25-35 hours of paralogue quests. Character recruitment only occurs in paralogue missions, so you can never miss out on that super unit. Plus now there is a casual mode, so you don't have to pull your hair out when your favorite character dies on the last turn in a level.

This game is just insane, it's the reason why I bought a 3DS, and after the Chrono Trigger & Front Mission (for me) remakes on the DS, I would argue this is the best hand held game ever made. Which means yes, it's better then the original Pokemon

This game is now After the Chrono Trigger & Front Mission remakes for the DS
  74. Mar 14, 2013
    I never played a single Fire Emblem game before and the last tactical RPG I played was Pokemon Conquest which I found AWFUL. Since Shin Megumi Tensei is planning a crossover with Fire Emblem, I decided to give the Fire Emblem franchise a try. Fire Emblem: Awakening satisfied my tactical RPG itch. I love how the gameplay kept my attention. I felt I was being rewarded for any efforts I made on level-grinding, weapon upgrading, and actually stopping to THINK before heading into battle. Almost all the battles didn't seem outright unfair and you can win them all if you're prepared. Any losses that occurred I can blame only myself rather than the game. The DLC and bonus contents are worthwhile and gives ample opportunities to hone your skills. Especially since you can recruit characters from past games to fight alongside you. (Having Sigrun in my ranks saved me SO many times!!)

The art style is beautiful and this is so far the only game I want to play in 3D the whole time. I wish however more attention was given to the hair on some of the 3D models. I personally don't think hair going thru clothes and people is acceptable anymore considering the budget this game must have had.

I can't give it 10 for two somewhat petty reasons: the story and the use of voice actors.

The main story while a 1000% better than Pokemon Conquest which had nothing...the story in Awakening is kinda generic and predictable. Typical RPG plot points with no real surprises to speak of. They make up for a little bit with the relationship conversations where a character's motives and backgrounds are fleshed out and with that, the story writers have the ability to inject a lot more humor. However at the end of the day...the main story is still weak and lackluster. Not awful but not great.

As for the second reason, the voice actors for the game are very good but their talents are wasted on cliche grunts and catchphrases. It's understandable during combat since you can it turn off...but why? Why are they making those noises in the cut scenes and conversations as well instead having the voice actor speaking what is on the text bubble? Don't tell me there is no room on the game for that. If Shin Megumi Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked can add voice acting to every line in their game, so can Fire Emblem.

Overall, this is still a must have in your 3DS library. The gameplay mechanics alone is enough of a reason to play this game. BUY IT!!
  75. Apr 4, 2014
    This has got to be one of the BEST games I’ve played across ANY platform (I’ve got the Xbox 360, Wii, PC, DS and of course the 3DS)! To know for sure if you like this game, here’s a checklist: 1) Do you like a good story and funny dialogue? Check! 2) Do you like a good RPG? Check! 3) Do you like a good turn-based game? Check! 4) Do you like good originality? Check! 5) Do you like good in-game animation? Check!
    6) Do you like to produce good kids? Check!
    7) All of the above? Check!

Fire Emblem: Awakening covers so much ground it’s no surprise that the appeal is so wide. At its heart, it is a grid-based turn-based strategy game based on some pretty memorable characters with their own strengths and weaknesses depending on their classes such as Swordmaster, Sorcerer, Sage, Dark Mage, Dark Flier, Warrior, Berserker, Archer, Lord and so on. You pick up more characters (all playable!) as the story progresses to join your party. In each mission, you pick a mix of characters to do the mission. Each mission progresses the story but there are other Side Stories and Paralogues – more on that later. The turn-based strategy has a twist – you can PAIR these characters on the maps. Each time you pair them, they can SUPPORT each other in unique ways (such as increasing your main attacker’s attack, defense, avoidance etc., and even come to the defense of the unit!) But we do ourselves an injustice to just call it a “turn-based strategy game” – it’s much much more.

That’s where we come to… child-bearing. Yes, child-bearing. You can pair various characters at every turn, and the more times you pair them, the stronger their relationship becomes. Then in the dialogue part of the game, over time, you get the pairs to talk to each other up to a point where they get married. Once they get married, at some point in the game “Paralogues” open up. These are side-missions specifically related to the kids from these marriages. These kids inherit some of their parents’ (depending who you end up pairing into marriages) skills and stats. And here’s the clincher – you can then enlist any of the kids into your party too and play them as characters!!!

And here’s the part for RPG lovers. As you move on, you can use a Master Seal or Second Seal to change classes or promote within a class for ANY character in your party. And when you change classes, they get to keep the perks they’ve earned. For example, I turn one of my characters Anna into an Assassin to get the “Lethality” perk (chance of one-hit-KO), then changed her class into a Dark Knight to get the “Lifetaker” perk (recover HP by 50% after she defeats an enemy). So as you level up and change classes over time, your characters get stronger and stronger. There is an element of grinding at times – and which RPG game doesn’t have that? But grinding doesn’t feel so bad when the battle animation is SOOOOOOOO good. While I got a bit bored of Pokemon X and Y battle animations after awhile, I have NEVER tired of watching hours of Fire Emblem: Awakening battle animations – it feels so alive and organic that it impresses me even if I’ve seen some of the same moves a 100 times. Especially when there’s those “chance of activating” perks like “Lethality” which is peppered in the usual combat animations. Want the lazy way out (like I did) of too much grinding? Welcome to the DLCs.

While paid DLCs are NOT required for game completion, I highly recommend them. They are of top-notch quality and each of them actually grants you something valuable so it’s actually worth buying. For example one of them grants you a new class, the Dread Fighter. Another DLC grants you a new character. My favourite is the “EXPonential Growth” DLC mission, which eases the pain of levelling up by quite a fair bit. You can buy them in sets of three which is a few dollars cheaper. There’s just SO much replayability that’s added with these DLCs. I’ve probably used “EXPonential Growth” about 100+ times.

The animated cutscenes, although it doesn’t no appear often, are really good. That said, the dialogues in the story are so funny. The story and relationships between characters are really engaging, and at times, real hilarious and worth reading through.

Now I personally hate overly difficult games. This game allows you to tune the difficulty. For example, I play on a casual mode where if the characters get KO’d, they return in the next mission. If you’re in for a challenge, you can go for the “Permadeath” mode where once a character is lost in a mission, he or she is lost forever. Pretty tough especially if you honed and levelled up that character and grown to love it.

If I haven’t already got a 3DS, Fire Emblem: Awakening would’ve done it for me. No game is perfect, but this comes pretty darn close!
  76. Apr 30, 2013
    First off: This is a masterpiece. The best game in the series. Not by far, but it is, and that is saying much considering the quality of it.
    Why is it a masterpiece? Take really solid gameplay and mix it up a bit. Take characters that are, while sometimes a bit silly, really well written, funny and interesting. Take simple, but beautiful graphics (that look even better in 3D). Then
    combine all this. You got yourself a great game, a fantastic game, a game worth buying the console that it is an exclusive for. Fire Emblem: Awakening has not got the best story in the series, but it is compelling enough to keep you playing, especially combined with the above aspects. There is tons of content, hours of gameplay. The SpotPass stuff will keep you playing for months, the ability to train your units endlessly and finding all the right skills to form a bad ass army will hook you for hours upon hours, unlocking the tons of support conversations to learn more about the excellent characters and their backstories will make you wanting to play this game non-stop. I warn you right now: Don't buy this game if you don't have enough time: You will not be able to leave this game alone for some days at least. You get so much bang for your buck that it isn't even fair.
    And all this is not even counting the DLC, that, while being a bit expensive, is especially cool for long time fans or experts of the series, as it offers tons of fan service via chapters where you fight against/alongside Fire Emblem characters from past games, recruit some of them, get special dialogue between old and new characters and so on. It may not be the excellent deal the game itself is, but, too me, it is well worth its price. Good news: If you don't want to buy it, you won't loose any of the experience. The game is excellent all by itself.
    Do I recommend this game? Yes. Of course. What a silly question. This may very well be the best SRPG of all time, and it is the best title in the 3DS library to date. If you own a 3DS, you'll need this game. And even if you don't own one, I highly recommend getting it alongside this gem. Truly a game for the ages.
  77. Mar 8, 2013
    Fire Emblem. 3DS. Awesome. Want more words? Get it. Makes excellent use of 3D, engaging story and characters, tried-and-true Fire Emblem strategy RPG gameplay.
  78. Apr 16, 2013
    Best game on 3ds so far by far, fire emblem features a better version of the series trademark turn based squad strategy combat. In this game you can pair up charters in battle for greater attacks and have them develop relationships and even get married. The story in this game is great and the anime cutscenes are animated very well, helping to flesh the story out. the graphics are not to flashy but what you would expect for a 3ds strategy game, but the battle sequences are AMAZING. bottom line BUY THIS GAME Expand
  79. Jun 22, 2013
    I don't often give 10/10 for games yet this one really does deserve it.
    I'm a fan of Pokemon and other 'standard' RPGs but like some people get bored with the 'grind'. This just doesn't feel like grind at all. Strong story, character development and genuine team/character customisation makes this very addictive. DLC means that there is new content (some free) every Thursday and many maps
    to keep people happy...

I'm on my second playthrough and have put around 50 hours into this game in total. The replay value is excellent and the difficulty curve is manageable.

This game is by far the best Fire Emblem I've played and BY FAR the best 3DS game released so far. Move over Mario, your time is up!
  80. Jul 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:
    - Great Strategy Game
    - Accessible to New Comers (Like Myself)
    - Astronomical Amount of Play Time (When including DLC and Side Missions)
    - Great Character Interaction

Cons:
    - Easy to Lose Interest
    - Uses of Cliches (MC having amnesia, Characters Stereotyping, etc.)
  81. May 9, 2013
    I've invested 20 hours into this game so far on the Hard setting and here is my take. It is way too easy and repetitive and unfortunately I have little drive to pickup this game to play now, which is a shame because the first few hours contained so much promise. The one negative review that presently exists nailed the issue on its head there's no reason to use 80% of the characters you obtain since the main party levels up so quickly. Due to this you will not experience an enormous amount of text and back story between these characters since you will never use them. The game is repetitive battle after battle with little variation. Yes, the graphics are nice and the story is decent although VERY typical JRPG fare. After you've promoted your main characters to their master ranks and leveled their weapons up to the top rank around the 15th hour there's not much else to experience except for the tepid storyline.

I need to say I am absolutely shocked at the amount of poorly written positive reviews for this game that do not highlight these critical flaws in the game. I can only hope for the day Metacritic introduces some standard of quality for their user reviews. How can only ONE negative written review exist for this game that is the only review that points out something so glaringly obvious.

Disclosure: Gamer of 25 years, played hundreds of RPG's on PC, (S)NES, PS, etc.
  82. Apr 9, 2013
    This was definitely a very good game, with hours put into it and hours left of it to play. The turn based strategy isn't my favorite form of combat, but the good reviews lead me into buying it anyway, and I was not disappointed. Still, it could get repetitive going on and on after fight, and when you started to run out of characters (If you play on permadeath) some missions feel impossible. The story and cut scenes are great though, from the graphics to the dialogue to the twists, and if you ever start getting bored of a cut scene an amazing one will come make you take it all back. Expand
  83. Feb 11, 2013
    After spending countless hours in the first two GBA Fire Emblem games, I freaked out when I heard there was a new one coming out. This game is easily the best 3DS game and should be a candidate for Game of the Year (if they include handheld titles). The gameplay is far from revolutionary, but it's Fire Emblem. you know what you're getting into. Fans of the series will feel right at home, but there are lots of little improvements, tweaks, and additions that make the game practically perfect as far as a turn-based RPG goes. You can now create your own character as well as form friendships and romantic relationships that actually feel real between the characters. The game looks amazing and the 3D effects are stunning. In short, I cannot like this game anymore than I already do. The only reason I put the game down is because my arms fall asleep from holding the 3DS up. If I didn't have a 3DS, I'd buy one JUST to play this game. If you have a 3DS and you're a fan of RPGs, you'd be a foolish fool not to buy this game. Expand
  84. Jan 2, 2014
    This is my first FireEmblem game ever. I am not really a huge fan of this type of games (or that's what I thought) but this game astonished me. It is by far the best 3DS game I've ever played. Period. Yes, I think it is even better than Zelda and Pokemon...etc Pros: * The battling system * The story and cutscenes! The emotional side and tragedy of the story * The fact that when the characters die, they die forever. It's kinda heartbreaking, but also adds a depth to the game, especially when I get attached for one character!

Cons:
    * Nothing
  85. Jun 11, 2013
    This game takes the best aspects of the previous Fire Emblem games, and melds them into one perfect game. If you have a 3DS you must have this game. It's fun, enjoyable, and a blast!
  86. Sep 1, 2013
    Wow, just Wow, this game honors the fire emblem saga, beautiful story line, characters, CHARACTERIZATION, the game play, the tactics the challenge. Definitively a must play for 3ds, Do play it if you are not familiar with the series. The wedding/having kids detail is new and well placed.
  87. Sep 27, 2013
    As a newcomer to the series, I didn't know what to expect from this latest title. I was pleasantly surprised by the game's depth and replayability. The characters are lovable and the battle mechanics fun. I would recommend this to anyone with a 3DS system.
  88. Mar 25, 2014
    Now this is one of those niche-type games, but don't let that discourage you if you're new to the games. They have made Fire Emblem more accessible than ever with Awakening.
    If you're familiar with the genre, don't worry about the changes this game makes to battles. I was worried at first but pairing up and picking supports is like a puzzle and is good fun. It's also quite the challenge
    on classic hard mode. Overall, it's one of my top 3 video games and couldn't think of any better strategy game. Expand
  89. Dec 11, 2013
    Take this from someone who has never played a Fire Emblem nay never played a Tactical RPG or JRPG for that matter before: I love this game. It's one of those games that are so perfectly crafted and streamlined that you can enjoy it even without being into the genre. Some highlights in short: *Amazing looking cutscenes *No grinding required *Great characters *Great humor: Not many games get chuckles out of me repeatedly
    *No big tutorial, you're thrown into the action with some pointers, the rest is learning by doing
    *Plenty of information is displayed very efficiently
    *Lot of options in battle. You can fast-forward or 'skip' turns and just see the results or completely autoplay turns
    *Intelligent Systems thought of everyone: Noobs like me or veterans who prefer hardcore mode

With a lot of games I at least partially ask myself: 'Have they even played the game themselves?'. With this one, it's like someone played the game a 100 times and kept nitpicking until every flaw was erased.
  90. Jan 28, 2014
    Last night I sat down to finish FE after about 2 weeks and 31 or so odd hours of gameplay.

My overall thoughts on the game are that it is was created by a team of people who knew how to pack as much fun into a mobile game as they could. The turn-based strategy forces you to develop strategies that involve making full use of the beautifully (seriously hot) detailed maps and environments,
    where you could decide to funnel enemies through a narrow corridor (picking them off one by one with your strongest characters), or causing them to have to run through trees or sand dunes, effectively slowing down their movements.

The story picks up fast and hard at the outset, and it holds up nicely for the first several hours of gameplay. Then it seems like they ran out of budget for story-telling and filled in a large gap with player driven narrative in the form of 'coupling' of characters. Basically your characters can have children if they are paired together for enough battles on the battlefield, they develop relationships outside of the battles and eventually have children. It's an interesting mechanic, but I found it to be rather shallow and a bit hollow at times. The story never really picks up too much, instead it branches out into a strange direction before being brought back on track in the game's final chapters. Fortunately, the gameplay is so strong and entertaining that the slightly predictable story can be forgiven... that is, until the end of the game.

The final chapters have you fighting enemies that barely matter or weren't developed as villains, and while they try to go for a grandiose finale it kind of explodes with a whimper. Poor decisions at the end of the game, as well as a lack of closing cinematic (which there were plenty of throughout the game that were both beautifully presented and timely in regards to story development) left me feeling cheated, as if the developers ran out of ideas or budget by the time the game came to an end and did a rush job on closing the story.

For a game that had SO much attention to detail throughout, it was really disappointing to see them close off their adventure so anticlimactically. They try to wrap it up with a 'now this character is doing this and that in the world' for each of the characters you collect along the way, but the problem with it is that they are uninteresting and presented a snail's pace. It just feels irrelevant, and in my opinion, the entire ending is somewhat disrespectful to the game as a whole.

Would I recommend this game to anyone? Absolutely, there's a good reason why I stayed with it for +30h. I'm nitpicky on story because I feel like those are the main driving factor for what keep me involved in a game these days, but the gameplay is pretty much flawless and engrossing. You just want to keep battling, building up your forces, finding new characters in the world. You also don't want to lose any of them, because if they die in battle you can't use them anymore. I lost 3 characters out of 45 throughout my whole game... I'd often reset a match if even 1 character were to die. That's how good they are at having you care for the progress of your characters. Not necessarily for their personalities, but for their attributes and strengths which you develop through fighting.

Definitely play this one, I think it's one of the best that Nintendo has to offer on the 3DS.
  91. Mar 18, 2014
    Summary of the review: Fire emblem awakening is a very rare type of strategy game. it is one that will be as easy or difficult as you want it to be. Purists will tell you to ignore casual mode, but is in having this mode not ruin the core experience that Awakening has its greatest triumph. You will want this game if you enjoy character relationships, well executed fantasy plots, extensive rosters of unique characters and replay value. There is no way you will regret the purchase, if you want a breakdown of some presentation and gameplay elements read on.

Presentation:
    for a 3DS title the production values are extraordinary. Small details such as perfectly formatted text boxes and character portrait placement make sure none of the action is obscured. Said character portraits also do a great job of letting the character's personality get across. of course though these story elements are all well and good they would be useless if the bread and butter (combat) was a pixelated mess. On this I will be brief. Combat looks like an early Wii game, not a 3DS game. combat visuals and even overworld graphics actually felt better than fire emblem path of radiance on the gamecube. You will also never mistake any of your unique units even when zoomed out either. No one in this world has feet though, which the detail oriented amongst you may find insufferable due to how detailed the character models are otherwise. the menus are very clear, information is presented to you in two modes. First is an easy mode telling you all you need to know such as hit probability and the damage you will deal. the second is a detailed mode that will give you much more information. Even convoluted elements such as weapon durability are presented in a way that can’t be missed. This ensures that an obscure mechanic hidden behind layers of obtuse menus will never make you feel cheated. Simply put, the menus are not only appropriate visually for the feel of the game, but they actually provide relevant and unobtrusive information to you. Truly one of the best presented games on 3DS. Presentation score 10

Gameplay:
    When you start the game you will be presented with a few very important choices. Casual or hardcore boils down to deciding if defeat in battle permanently kills the character in question for the rest of the game. The standard easy, normal, hard setup is there as well and it governs how well equipped and aggressive the enemy AI is. Do not let ‘casual’ mode fool you, it will kick your unprepared ass if you bundle it with hard or even normal difficulty (should you get cocky). Harcore mode on easy will likewise not prove all that hardcore if you take reasonable care in battle. You also decide via limited customizability, what your avatar will look like. It won’t drop your jaw with its versatility but will make you feel a part of the world. More pressingly you decide what kind of starting attributes the avatar will have such as their best and weakest stat. Stats are very robust, nothing that needs mentioning if you’ve ever played an RPG. The stats system in fire emblem works well and the best that can be said of it is that it gels so well with the other mechanics that nothing stands out about it. There are a lot of classes, with characters starting as basic classes in most cases and later getting access to advanced classes. An item permits class swaps as well, though they will be rest to lvl one with higher base stats as your reward. To put this another way, every time you change a character’s class they will have their stats cap raised. So you literally get back what you put into a character. The one flaw here is that nothing can stand against you if you really sink time into training your favourites. This a turn based strategy game that strongly rewards positioning, since different classes have different attack ranges and movement ranges. There is also a rock, paper, scissors setup between weapons and classes that works very well. Still, beware that some advanced skills are a bit too useful and potent. Gameplay score 9

The limited space for user reviews prevents me from treating these as extensively as I’d like so I will be brief. The music is great but there are a few pieces in the mix which I personally found to be truly outstanding. DLC actually contributes to the experience here. I know, shocking. I recommend any of the scramble or future past packs. these provide the best value, for the rest, only those with a love of nostalgia need apply.

There are several high quality anime cut scenes throughout the game, these will piss you off tremendously and make you wish for an Anime due to how striking they are. A slew of fun extras unlock after the first completion as well, one of which is a theatre to watch the cut scenes in.

Total score 9.5 ( 10 since metacritic does not permit decimals)
  92. Apr 15, 2013
    The 3DS has announced an impressive line up of games this coming year with Fire Emblem Awakening leading the charge. The successful pairing of accessibility and challenge makes Awakening the first of many upcoming games to make 3DS owners proud.
    The most obvious upgrade is in the presentation. From cute 2d sprites to stylized in-game models, to cinematic CGI cutscenes, this game is
    beautiful. Expect to be turning your 3D on more than usual to see this game in all it's glory. Awakening is one of the best looking games on the 3DS and will be considered such for years to come.
    Gameplay changes are a bit more subtle, but these enhancements are the reason players will log hundreds of hours into the game. The main theme is the connection between units which is found in all aspects of the game. Adjacent units will give extra stat boosts, extra attacks, and even negate damage to the active unit. The traditional "rescue" command is replaced with the similar "pair up" option between units. This not only applies the functionality of "rescue" but turns the two units into one super-unit by combining stats. This mechanic allows for so many strategic options and fun combinations to try depending on the situation. The support mechanic from previous games is still intact and is expanded to the point that your units can get married and have children. Earning support points is fun not only because of the unit augmentation in battle, but the plethora of support conversations are all enjoyable. Players will likely go through the game multiple times to see them all.
    Awakening's story is actually very engaging since players must create their own character and forge their own bonds. The main story line is only slightly over 2 dozen chapters but the side-quests, DLC, co-op battles, random challenges, class changing, and difficulty levels add more than enough to the game's re-playability.
    Fans might be disappointed that player versus player competition has been ousted, there are still redeemable multi-player options in Awakening. By using Streetpass, players can battle an AI controlled version of someone's team. There is also a co-op mode with it's own separate set of missions where players can pair up and take turns as a super-unit.
    There are many accessibility options for newcomers, such as casual mode, but do not confuse accessible with easy. Awakening is still tough to beat, especially at higher difficulty levels. This game can be played hardcore or not depending on the preferred experience an there is fun to be had on both sides.
    3DS owners, Fire Emblem Awakening is a must-buy. You have waited long enough for a game like this. You deserve it.
  93. Feb 18, 2013
    Great visuals, large amount of great quality content and lovable characters in a fantastic story. Excellent RPG system in how you can manage a character's growth into a variety of classes while retaining bonuses. This game is both perfect for newcomers and fans of the franchise.
  94. Feb 5, 2013
    A very good reason to buy a 3DS. The best way to bring newcomers into the franchise with an easy mode that is optional. It takes away the option of permadeath in the game and allows the gamer to proceed the story without worry of an important death in the squad. CGI cutscenes bring the entire story together into a cohesive blend of action gameplay and a great story to back it up. Free Day 1 DLC brings a favorite character of the franchise with more DLC to come in the future. Totally worth the $40 and a new 3DS. Expand
  95. Feb 4, 2013
    Easily the best game to date in the 3DS, a game that sets the tone for what's to come for the 3DS as the successor of the "king of rpgs" the DS... Go buy it now, you won't be disappointed.
  96. Feb 5, 2013
    great game.its fun,challenging,and very satisfying.story is engaging with chracters you care about,lots of customization,has good graphics and level design,controls are great,and music is one of the better soundtracks from a video game ive heard in awhile.a game that tests your brain rather than kill things mindlessly and that what i like about it the most. even after i finished the game i still want to go back and play it, its that good. a game worth $40 and one of the best 3ds titles to date. Expand
  97. Feb 4, 2013
    Sem duvida não podemos negar que e um dos melhores games do 3DS...
    Não existe como negar!
    Tudo esta equilibrado, consegue ser difícil, mas mantem a os modos originais que consagraram a franquia.
    Sem duvidas esse game merece 10/10!
  98. Feb 7, 2013
    Finally, the game everyone's been waiting for! Though most are still impatiently waiting (due to shipping issues), some have proceeded to download the digital copy and immediately thanked themselves, among other unspeakable things. This is definitely the much needed scratch for the strategist's itch. From the intuitive battle system, beautiful music scores and masterfully written dialogue, this game is easily another must have for anyone even slightly interested in the genre. The battles have never been more intense, as you've never felt more of a connection with the characters. Each characters flowing with personality. Some charming, some annoying, some lovable, and ALL capable of being turned into cannon fodder, should you let your guard down (or if you're conspiring). Top it all off with enthused, well spoken voice overs that never overstep their purpose and vivid cut scene videos that never fail to impress. All in all, this game is a MUST HAVE for anyone seeking to exercise wit and is even tailored to newcomers in the new Classic mode. I'm slightly bummed out at the limitations of online mode. Should a DLC for online battles be released, I'd change my score to a perfect 10. I highly recommend picking this one up, even if you're slightly interested. I know a couple of people who recently purchased the 3ds for this game alone, if that tells you anything. "9 out of 10" plasticEGO Expand
  99. Feb 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gorgeous graphics, a compelling story, and some of the best tactical strategy combat on offer all combine to make Fire Emblem a must-have game for any 3DS owner. Even having not played any of the previous instalments in this long-running series, I have become totally engrossed in every little detail about this game, seeking that perfect experience.

The streetpass functionality in this game is brilliant allowing you to trade with, as well as, fight and/or hire your friends and strangers who own the game as well. The added DLC means that even when the story mode is done, there will be extra content to further enhance your Fire Emblem experience.

The vast amount of characters you can recruit, even early in the game, means that your future playthroughs could be radically different from your first. These addition playthroughs will also be influenced by the well-crafted difficulty scale, which can be absolutely brutal or, for newcomers, a way to get you into the game without ruining the experience. The scaling difficulty is also enhanced by the casual/classic playthrough options, which means life and death for your characters who fall on the battlefield.

There are few detracting aspects about this game. As a beginner, the tutorials offer a quick, yet thorough, explanation to most aspects of the game. My only complaint is the lack of explanation for how the job system and stats work. I've also found the game, on a whole, looks better on the XL over the regular 3DS. The only major story flaw I've had an issue with has been an apparent life or death choice for a major NPC, which the player is faced with fairly early in the game. No matter which option the player chooses, the outcome remains the same, save for a few lines of dialogue. If the choice had no impact on the story, the question of why it was there in the first place must be asked.

Fire Emblem: Awakening, is an amazing game, and one that most 3DS owners should buy. Its rich story, stand-out characters, excellently-crafted battle system, and unique job classes, will pull you in to the game and hold you there.
  100. Feb 23, 2013
    It feels great to be back on a fire Emblem game. it is the best 3DS game since Super Mario 3D Land. The animation cut scenes are breath taking, and look gorgeous on the 3DS. the game play is still a amazing jrpg and rts game of all time in quit a long time. the voice acting is great in English and Japanese there is no complaint for not listening to both in English and Japanese. upgrading your character is end list to want you want to upgrade on all your character. There is a lot of side quest to level up your characters in the game. This is game is great to have in your 3Ds library! Expand
  101. Jan 2, 2014

Cons:
    * Nothing

1. Jun 13, 2013
    A truly excellent tactical role-playing game. [June 2013]
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    Ignore Casual mode, set the difficulty to hard, and enjoy what is arguably the best turn-based strategy game released since Final Fantasy Tactics. [July 2013, p.76]
  3. May 19, 2013
    A great turn-based strategy game surpassing not only its blood-related predecessors but step-brothers and step-sisters of the Advance Wars series as well. Fire Emblem: Awakening is the new benchmark of the genre that is practically uncriticizable. At the moment on Nintendo 3DS there is not a better alternative.