Fire Emblem: Awakening 3DS

9.1

1. Feb 11, 2013
    I was once told "brilliance comes in small packages", and after playing Fire Emblem: Awakening, those words couldn't be any more true. With superb game play, stunning graphics and a brilliantly written story with top notch voice acting, FF:A is the definitive RPG for 3DS, with tons of replay value, a steady stream of DLC and multiple difficulties this game is sure to keep players tuned forI was once told "brilliance comes in small packages", and after playing Fire Emblem: Awakening, those words couldn't be any more true. With superb game play, stunning graphics and a brilliantly written story with top notch voice acting, FF:A is the definitive RPG for 3DS, with tons of replay value, a steady stream of DLC and multiple difficulties this game is sure to keep players tuned for hours to come. Expand
  2. Feb 15, 2013
    A game that, again, makes me glad I bought a 3DS. The visuals are nothing to laugh at and can even compare to Wii standards. The gameplay has been improved greatly since the last installment to the franchise, allowing units to team-up in order to increase stats, void any damge or even grant extra attacks, and with the new Support mechanism, it won't only make sense for anyone to NOT doA game that, again, makes me glad I bought a 3DS. The visuals are nothing to laugh at and can even compare to Wii standards. The gameplay has been improved greatly since the last installment to the franchise, allowing units to team-up in order to increase stats, void any damge or even grant extra attacks, and with the new Support mechanism, it won't only make sense for anyone to NOT do this. The story is easy to follow, although has its compex parts to it. What makes the characters in this game stand out from any other is how there are so many and yet they all managed to have a personality, some awesome ones at that. Fire Emblem Awakening is like the crowning gem of all the games on the 3DS and the inspiration for all the following games to come. Intelligent Systems and Nintendo made a fantastic game for a system that needed some. Expand
  3. Feb 12, 2013
    I can surmise Fire Emblem Awakening with a sentence: BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW! Fire Emblem Awakening, is my most anticipated handheld title of this year, yes, I looked forward to this game more than Pokemon: X and Y. I'm a longtime fan of SRPG's, seeing as Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite game ever, I love the genre, and I am extremely happy Fire Emblem Awakening sold so well, it showsI can surmise Fire Emblem Awakening with a sentence: BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW! Fire Emblem Awakening, is my most anticipated handheld title of this year, yes, I looked forward to this game more than Pokemon: X and Y. I'm a longtime fan of SRPG's, seeing as Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite game ever, I love the genre, and I am extremely happy Fire Emblem Awakening sold so well, it shows that people still love SRPG games, and it was also proved last year with XCOM, a game that was fine if you got past all the glitches. Fire Emblem Awakening, is nothing of the sort, it just seems to get better the more I play it.

First off, you can create your main character, which is a nice plus in these games, and you can pick your battle attributes. Whether you want to specialize in Magic, Defense, Attack, Health, all that, and you can even pick your wekaness as well, which is nice. In true Fire Emblem fashion, the game is also very difficult, and has a permadeath mode, which, in my opinion, is the best way to play the game.

I would tell you about the story, but pretty much eveything that ever happens in the game is intrical to the plot, but trust me when I say, this game is highly cinematic, as well as entertaining. The game doesn't have full voice acting, but still does have some to make it cinematic, the cutscenes, as well, are beautiful, this is one of the best looking games on the 3DS. The games presentation is very well done, the story and characters being rich and well-developed, no problems there. The UI is outstanding, not confusing for new players, yet complex enough for you hardcore fans to get. Also, it has a unique system in which you can actually get married to another unit. It basically means when you combine units you make one hell of a super unit, couples unite! You can also have children that can become units as well, and have a unique appearance based on their parents, it makes for a really cool, unique experience.

The mechanics, as per usual, are stellar. You can mange your units, equipment and weapons at the hub of the game, and give them new equipment and such. There are several classes of charcters, so each new party member is useful in his/her own way, making the game add a nice spice of variety. You can also change for primary and secondary weapons/magic in the game in combat, so you can adapt to strategy. When you attack an enemy, it plays a little cutscene, and you actually see the enemy get hit, and you take hits as well. The game has the best SRPG engine of any game I've played, and it shows. I've alway wanted these games to have more flourish to them, and seeing your troops actually attack the enemy, and vice versa. The game does a great job of keeping you invested, showing you eveything that happens makes it much less static, which is a problem with other SRPG's, even my favorite.

To sum it all up, I can say this. This is the best Strategy RPG to come out in years, since Final Fantasy Tactics. If you love strategy, or strategy games, this needs to be an instant purchase for you. The game has so much polish, you can tell a lot of thought was put into it. In fact, I will admit wholeheartedly this game is better than Final Fantasy Tactics, which isn't easy for me to admit. To give you an idea how good it is, this game is a SERIOUS contender for Game of the Year, in my book. I know its only February, but trust me, it really is that good. So far I'm loving it, I know you won't be dissapointed if you buy it as well. This is the BEST handheld game I've played since Dragon Quest 9, and its even better than that! The game is so rich, deep, and full of playability, customization, and a great story that 3 hours in, gets REALLY good.
  4. Mar 27, 2013
    the Fire Emblem game of my dreams. I've played all the handheld games released in the U.S., and none of them compare to this one. I would have preferred to give it a 9.5 or so, but a 10 isn't implausible. games like this validate Nintendo and their relevance to the game world.
  5. May 5, 2015
    Fire Emblem; a series that has gained the limelight in the last few years. A game series that was little known to the west, and only released in Japan up until the early 2000's. A game series that had very few but very well polished and enjoyable games (especially those on the GBA). A game series that was set to end with Awakening as it's last title (thirteenth game in the series). I canFire Emblem; a series that has gained the limelight in the last few years. A game series that was little known to the west, and only released in Japan up until the early 2000's. A game series that had very few but very well polished and enjoyable games (especially those on the GBA). A game series that was set to end with Awakening as it's last title (thirteenth game in the series). I can say that I'm very glad that Awakening was released, because it allowed the Fire Emblem series to continue one once again. Enough with the history of the franchise, now we delve into the newest installment itself: Fire Emblem Awakening (Oh and the review will contain spoilers).

Let us start with the most notable things about the game itself...
    The game is very well made and polished, as to be expected with Fire Emblem games. However this one definitely delivers in the quantity of content. Since this was slated to be the last Fire Emblem game to release, they made sure it was filled to the brim with a lot of content and DLC. Surprisingly, it worked in their favor. Awakening seems to borrow some ideas from previous installments as well as creating new ones of their own. Gameplay is smooth and it's quite enjoyable to say the least. The graphics are pretty good, considering this is a 3DS game. As I mentioned before the game introduces new ideas and borrows old ones, here's what those are:
    The game seemingly borrows an old mechanic only seen in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War(1996), which was the first fire emblem game that allowed you to play two generations of characters, and returning the skill system that was introduced in the same game. Skills are something you acquire when you level a unit up (5, 10, 15) which grants a unit a special ability they can use inside or outside of combat. Awakening introduces 'pairing up' with other units. You do this by assigning units to 'pair up' with another unit, and this allows the pair to potentially gain stat increase and attack more than once during a single battle. Awakening also returns the 'Class Change' (otherwise known as a Second Seal) that was introduced in Shadow Dragon. Returning to the subject matter of 'pairing up', when this process is also done, you will raise the units that have been paired together's support level. Support level increase will then allow you to access a conversation that these two units have (most of which are pretty funny to say the least). This level increases the more these units are paired together. When you reach the 'S' rank of support (only accessible to Male and Female pairings) then you get a special support conversation which pretty much ends up in the two getting married. Also forgot to mention that the games soundtrack is pretty friggin awesome. All of these things sound great, and they really are. When I originally played this game, I saw no flaws with it at all, and for some time I thought it was the best game I had ever played. However, upon playing through the game more than once, then playing its predecessors, I began to see its flaws.

I'll begin by saying that the 'Class Change' mechanic in this game can BREAK THE GAME. I'm dead serious here, you can truly break this game with the class change. Since you can change class whenever you want, you can re-class, get a skill you want, re-class and repeat the process over and over; making units extremely powerful and rendering the hardest difficulty to immensely easy. What's even worse is that these skills can carry over to children (as mentioned before) which then makes them extremely overpowered to the point where the game is no longer fun.
    The game's story in comparison to others is rather weak in this regards. To me when replaying the game over, it seems like they rushed some bits of the story just to get a finished product. This is not to say they did not put any attention or care into the story itself, I'm just stating that it's rather weak. This is something I can forgive, it is tough to create a gripping and immersive story for a game.
    My last gripe is the character supports. After playing my favorite Fire Emblem game, the Sacred Stones and its predecessor Blazing Sword, I realized something different between those two games and Awakening. Their writing and delivery of the conversations seem well thought out and well written in comparison to Awakening. While in Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones, conversations are only heard during actual gameplay; Awakening however, you hear these conversations after the battles. In my opinion the conversations in Awakening's GBA counterparts are far superior in charm, writing, and in some cases humor.

Overall the game itself is not bad at all, it just seems like a very weak release in comparison to earlier games. I couldn't touch up on all details of the game (due to metacritic's character limit) so I'll leave by saying that Awakening is clearly aimed at new players and not the veteran ones. Does this deter the game? No. Worth the buy? Yes.
  6. Jan 5, 2014
    Fire Emblem Awakening is an absolutely spectacular video game that deserves at least a glance from any and every 3DS owner or potential owner. This was my first Fire Emblem game and I must say, I was blown away with how much I fell in love with this game. For this review I'll cover the story, game-play, visuals and atmosphere.

Fire Emblem Awakening's story is typical Japanese role

Fire Emblem Awakening's story is typical Japanese role playing game fare. It has plenty of drama and intrigue along with a few plot twists for good measure. There's nothing spectacular in the actual plot, but the character development is something to be commended. By the end of this game you will find a good handful of characters that you'll truly connect with and care about in the heat of battle.

Awakening is a strategy role playing game with turn based combat, experience points and a level up system. The game is filled with different classes of characters, different types of attacks and rules for each unit on the field. I like to think of it as a very deep game of chess where a pawn is more than just a piece, but is a character that you've followed and watched grow. This aspect of the game is truly endearing and adds to the game in so many ways. The game also features a relationship building system where units can be married and have children. This adds to the game greatly as you can pair units with whoever you want whether your goal is stat gains or just watching a fun pair on the field of battle. Everything is done very well and each facet of the game feels very polished. Game-play is an enormous strength of this game.

Awakening features four different art styles all in one game. There are the hand drawn images of each unit, the 3D units used in battle animations, the 2D sprites used on the battle field and the 3D renders used in cut-scenes. The cut-scenes are absolutely breathtaking visually. Certainly some of the best visuals on the 3DS. The 2D sprites are charming and fit their role extremely well. The 3D units in battle animations may lack feet but they do their job and are certainly not ugly by any means. The hand drawn art is also very impressive. The graphics of Fire Emblem Awakening are the best of the series and probably the best of the 3DS.

The atmosphere of Fire Emblem is very interesting. The game is set in a dark fantasy world filled with time travel, zombies, knights, mages and flying horses all wrapped up in a Japanese artful flare. The music is well orchestrated and can really set the mood well. Although the game is very serious at times I've found myself laughing out loud in between battles due to the great character interactions.

Overall Fire Emblem Awakening is easily a top five game of 2013 and is my personal favorite 3DS game yet. I highly recommend it to anyone that owns a 3DS. If this review hasn't swayed you enough to make a purchase, I understand, but please take a look at this game yourself, it deserves that much. I highly recommend the free demo on the eshop for current 3DS owners.

Score: 10/10
  7. Jan 28, 2014
    Last night I sat down to finish FE after about 2 weeks and 31 or so odd hours of gameplay.

My overall thoughts on the game are that it is was created by a team of people who knew how to pack as much fun into a mobile game as they could. The turn-based strategy forces you to develop strategies that involve making full use of the beautifully (seriously hot) detailed maps and environments, where you could decide to funnel enemies through a narrow corridor (picking them off one by one with your strongest characters), or causing them to have to run through trees or sand dunes, effectively slowing down their movements.

The story picks up fast and hard at the outset, and it holds up nicely for the first several hours of gameplay. Then it seems like they ran out of budget for story-telling and filled in a large gap with player driven narrative in the form of 'coupling' of characters. Basically your characters can have children if they are paired together for enough battles on the battlefield, they develop relationships outside of the battles and eventually have children. It's an interesting mechanic, but I found it to be rather shallow and a bit hollow at times. The story never really picks up too much, instead it branches out into a strange direction before being brought back on track in the game's final chapters. Fortunately, the gameplay is so strong and entertaining that the slightly predictable story can be forgiven... that is, until the end of the game.

The final chapters have you fighting enemies that barely matter or weren't developed as villains, and while they try to go for a grandiose finale it kind of explodes with a whimper. Poor decisions at the end of the game, as well as a lack of closing cinematic (which there were plenty of throughout the game that were both beautifully presented and timely in regards to story development) left me feeling cheated, as if the developers ran out of ideas or budget by the time the game came to an end and did a rush job on closing the story.

For a game that had SO much attention to detail throughout, it was really disappointing to see them close off their adventure so anticlimactically. They try to wrap it up with a 'now this character is doing this and that in the world' for each of the characters you collect along the way, but the problem with it is that they are uninteresting and presented a snail's pace. It just feels irrelevant, and in my opinion, the entire ending is somewhat disrespectful to the game as a whole.

Would I recommend this game to anyone? Absolutely, there's a good reason why I stayed with it for +30h. I'm nitpicky on story because I feel like those are the main driving factor for what keep me involved in a game these days, but the gameplay is pretty much flawless and engrossing. You just want to keep battling, building up your forces, finding new characters in the world. You also don't want to lose any of them, because if they die in battle you can't use them anymore. I lost 3 characters out of 45 throughout my whole game... I'd often reset a match if even 1 character were to die. That's how good they are at having you care for the progress of your characters. Not necessarily for their personalities, but for their attributes and strengths which you develop through fighting.

Definitely play this one, I think it's one of the best that Nintendo has to offer on the 3DS.
  8. Jun 21, 2013
    An almost flawless strategy game. The updated visuals are simply gorgeous, but I can't help but feel the character sprites could have been made to be more like the Wii and Gamecube Fire Emblems.
  9. Mar 13, 2013
    Thiswas my first Fire Emblem game and woah was it an incredible experience. The cutscenes are phenomenal and show off the games gorgeous art style. Battles are fun and tense. Menus and item management is simple, clean, and elegant. Character dialogue is funny, and compelling. The story is wonderful and the game itself is a blast to play. You'll be amazed at how attached you get to yourThiswas my first Fire Emblem game and woah was it an incredible experience. The cutscenes are phenomenal and show off the games gorgeous art style. Battles are fun and tense. Menus and item management is simple, clean, and elegant. Character dialogue is funny, and compelling. The story is wonderful and the game itself is a blast to play. You'll be amazed at how attached you get to your characters, Everyone should play this game, its that good. Expand
  10. Jul 31, 2013
    Very addictive and breath taking, I am a first timer playing the series. I hope the others fire emblem are as good as this one. I hope this game at least gets a nomination for best game of the year. it deserves it.
  11. Mar 22, 2013
    I had tried similar RTS games in the past and other than Pokemon Conquest, was never able to get into them. Fire Emblem Awakening has totally changed that. This game is gauging and addictive. The story and cutscenes add to the experience with rich graphics and a twisting plotline. However, the gameplay and the ability to build your team of characters along wtih their capabilities hasI had tried similar RTS games in the past and other than Pokemon Conquest, was never able to get into them. Fire Emblem Awakening has totally changed that. This game is gauging and addictive. The story and cutscenes add to the experience with rich graphics and a twisting plotline. However, the gameplay and the ability to build your team of characters along wtih their capabilities has you coming back for more again and again. I haven't quite made it through the entire story, but I can tell you that I will definitely be buying and playing DLC packs for this game, which is something I never do on any system. Expand
  12. Jul 17, 2013
    I've given this a 10 because it's so much fun, in terms of design and execution it's probably a 9. In all seriousness though the 3DS stellar library has another amazing game. I'm a big fan of SRPGs so this was right up my street, it may not convert many people but if you like this sort of thing it's a must buy!
  13. Jun 23, 2014
    If anyone you know claims that the 3DS is for little kids...take a copy of this game and shove it in their face! I rarely give 10 out of 10 on ratings unless they truly deserve it, but this game DEFINITELY deserves it. Great strategic combat, gorgeous cut-scenes, great story, great music, gives you the freedom of choice, and has a huge amount of content and replay value. There's not muchIf anyone you know claims that the 3DS is for little kids...take a copy of this game and shove it in their face! I rarely give 10 out of 10 on ratings unless they truly deserve it, but this game DEFINITELY deserves it. Great strategic combat, gorgeous cut-scenes, great story, great music, gives you the freedom of choice, and has a huge amount of content and replay value. There's not much more I can say...support this game and check it out! Expand
  14. Dec 11, 2013
    Take this from someone who has never played a Fire Emblem nay never played a Tactical RPG or JRPG for that matter before: I love this game. It's one of those games that are so perfectly crafted and streamlined that you can enjoy it even without being into the genre. Some highlights in short:

*Amazing looking cutscenes *No grinding required *Great characters *Great humor: Not many

*Amazing looking cutscenes
    *No grinding required
    *Great characters
    *Great humor: Not many games get chuckles out of me repeatedly
    *No big tutorial, you're thrown into the action with some pointers, the rest is learning by doing
    *Plenty of information is displayed very efficiently
    *Lot of options in battle. You can fast-forward or 'skip' turns and just see the results or completely autoplay turns
    *Intelligent Systems thought of everyone: Noobs like me or veterans who prefer hardcore mode

With a lot of games I at least partially ask myself: 'Have they even played the game themselves?'. With this one, it's like someone played the game a 100 times and kept nitpicking until every flaw was erased.
  15. Oct 14, 2013
    Beautifully done game. Once I picked it up it was very hard to put it down. So much in depth character development that each play through could prove to be a bit different. This SRPG puts an aspiring amount of love into their story line. Finally a game where you can marry all of the active characters you can pick from. Different weapon equips and class changes. Superb 3D work. Not toBeautifully done game. Once I picked it up it was very hard to put it down. So much in depth character development that each play through could prove to be a bit different. This SRPG puts an aspiring amount of love into their story line. Finally a game where you can marry all of the active characters you can pick from. Different weapon equips and class changes. Superb 3D work. Not to mention there is a Demo on the network if you really want to try the first battle out. This game was worth the full price! Expand
  16. Feb 17, 2014
    Think pokemon X and Y are the reasons to buy a 3DS or 2DS? NOPE this game is the reason.

It has a excellent story and is much easier for new players to the series since permadeath is now a option and not forced on the player along with the child system and the other ways of recruitment you'll have a very powerful team of heros to fight along side the avatar and Chrom
  17. Mar 11, 2014
    Best SRPG ever made, why? It's just so damn polished and packed with content. From the pre-rendered cinematics, to the 3D effects, to the whole support/marriage system, to the skills/class system, to the extra features such as casual mode (which makes the game so much more accessible), this is just one of the most well thought out RPG's I've ever played.

It's also really long, I

It's also really long, I finished the game in 75 hours with all the side quests, and some DLC. Never have I put this many hours into a hand-held game since the original Pokemon/Advance Wars came out.

On a technical level, this game is just mind-blowing, when a flock of birds flew past my screen I nearly dropped the 3DS is shock thinking ants were walking on my screen. Graphically this is the best game in the series.

As a game, there were no compromises made, and Intelligent Systems clearly learned how to make a good formula after all this time. You still get the same 25-40 hour Campaign, but you also get another 25-35 hours of paralogue quests. Character recruitment only occurs in paralogue missions, so you can never miss out on that super unit. Plus now there is a casual mode, so you don't have to pull your hair out when your favorite character dies on the last turn in a level.

This game is just insane, it's the reason why I bought a 3DS, and after the Chrono Trigger & Front Mission (for me) remakes on the DS, I would argue this is the best hand held game ever made. Which means yes, it's better then the original Pokemon

This game is now After the Chrono Trigger & Front Mission remakes for the DS
  18. Mar 18, 2014
    Summary of the review: Fire emblem awakening is a very rare type of strategy game. it is one that will be as easy or difficult as you want it to be. Purists will tell you to ignore casual mode, but is in having this mode not ruin the core experience that Awakening has its greatest triumph. You will want this game if you enjoy character relationships, well executed fantasy plots, extensiveSummary of the review: Fire emblem awakening is a very rare type of strategy game. it is one that will be as easy or difficult as you want it to be. Purists will tell you to ignore casual mode, but is in having this mode not ruin the core experience that Awakening has its greatest triumph. You will want this game if you enjoy character relationships, well executed fantasy plots, extensive rosters of unique characters and replay value. There is no way you will regret the purchase, if you want a breakdown of some presentation and gameplay elements read on.

Presentation:
    for a 3DS title the production values are extraordinary. Small details such as perfectly formatted text boxes and character portrait placement make sure none of the action is obscured. Said character portraits also do a great job of letting the character's personality get across. of course though these story elements are all well and good they would be useless if the bread and butter (combat) was a pixelated mess. On this I will be brief. Combat looks like an early Wii game, not a 3DS game. combat visuals and even overworld graphics actually felt better than fire emblem path of radiance on the gamecube. You will also never mistake any of your unique units even when zoomed out either. No one in this world has feet though, which the detail oriented amongst you may find insufferable due to how detailed the character models are otherwise. the menus are very clear, information is presented to you in two modes. First is an easy mode telling you all you need to know such as hit probability and the damage you will deal. the second is a detailed mode that will give you much more information. Even convoluted elements such as weapon durability are presented in a way that can’t be missed. This ensures that an obscure mechanic hidden behind layers of obtuse menus will never make you feel cheated. Simply put, the menus are not only appropriate visually for the feel of the game, but they actually provide relevant and unobtrusive information to you. Truly one of the best presented games on 3DS. Presentation score 10

Gameplay:
    When you start the game you will be presented with a few very important choices. Casual or hardcore boils down to deciding if defeat in battle permanently kills the character in question for the rest of the game. The standard easy, normal, hard setup is there as well and it governs how well equipped and aggressive the enemy AI is. Do not let ‘casual’ mode fool you, it will kick your unprepared ass if you bundle it with hard or even normal difficulty (should you get cocky). Harcore mode on easy will likewise not prove all that hardcore if you take reasonable care in battle. You also decide via limited customizability, what your avatar will look like. It won’t drop your jaw with its versatility but will make you feel a part of the world. More pressingly you decide what kind of starting attributes the avatar will have such as their best and weakest stat. Stats are very robust, nothing that needs mentioning if you’ve ever played an RPG. The stats system in fire emblem works well and the best that can be said of it is that it gels so well with the other mechanics that nothing stands out about it. There are a lot of classes, with characters starting as basic classes in most cases and later getting access to advanced classes. An item permits class swaps as well, though they will be rest to lvl one with higher base stats as your reward. To put this another way, every time you change a character’s class they will have their stats cap raised. So you literally get back what you put into a character. The one flaw here is that nothing can stand against you if you really sink time into training your favourites. This a turn based strategy game that strongly rewards positioning, since different classes have different attack ranges and movement ranges. There is also a rock, paper, scissors setup between weapons and classes that works very well. Still, beware that some advanced skills are a bit too useful and potent. Gameplay score 9

The limited space for user reviews prevents me from treating these as extensively as I’d like so I will be brief. The music is great but there are a few pieces in the mix which I personally found to be truly outstanding. DLC actually contributes to the experience here. I know, shocking. I recommend any of the scramble or future past packs. these provide the best value, for the rest, only those with a love of nostalgia need apply.

There are several high quality anime cut scenes throughout the game, these will piss you off tremendously and make you wish for an Anime due to how striking they are. A slew of fun extras unlock after the first completion as well, one of which is a theatre to watch the cut scenes in.

Total score 9.5 ( 10 since metacritic does not permit decimals)
  19. Feb 15, 2015
    This is my first 'Fire Emblem' game and it did not disappoint! The graphics and art were great and I particularly enjoyed the option to customise yourself down to your very voice. I haven't played many turn-based strategy games, but this one has convinced me to play more! Story line was simple, but pleasing and each battle(?) was enjoyable and never felt repetitive. For the first time IThis is my first 'Fire Emblem' game and it did not disappoint! The graphics and art were great and I particularly enjoyed the option to customise yourself down to your very voice. I haven't played many turn-based strategy games, but this one has convinced me to play more! Story line was simple, but pleasing and each battle(?) was enjoyable and never felt repetitive. For the first time I wished the game went on for longer, though in saying this I did not let go of this game for 4 days straight playing every little side mission possible. Expand
  20. May 8, 2016
    This game is a masterpiece and saved the Fire Emblem franchise from extinction. The characters are memorable, the game play is engaging and music is amazing. It's one of the few games that I have played through 3+ times. If you don't have the game, get it now!
  21. Apr 30, 2013
    First off: This is a masterpiece. The best game in the series. Not by far, but it is, and that is saying much considering the quality of it.
    Why is it a masterpiece? Take really solid gameplay and mix it up a bit. Take characters that are, while sometimes a bit silly, really well written, funny and interesting. Take simple, but beautiful graphics (that look even better in 3D). Then combine all this. You got yourself a great game, a fantastic game, a game worth buying the console that it is an exclusive for. Fire Emblem: Awakening has not got the best story in the series, but it is compelling enough to keep you playing, especially combined with the above aspects. There is tons of content, hours of gameplay. The SpotPass stuff will keep you playing for months, the ability to train your units endlessly and finding all the right skills to form a bad ass army will hook you for hours upon hours, unlocking the tons of support conversations to learn more about the excellent characters and their backstories will make you wanting to play this game non-stop. I warn you right now: Don't buy this game if you don't have enough time: You will not be able to leave this game alone for some days at least. You get so much bang for your buck that it isn't even fair.
    And all this is not even counting the DLC, that, while being a bit expensive, is especially cool for long time fans or experts of the series, as it offers tons of fan service via chapters where you fight against/alongside Fire Emblem characters from past games, recruit some of them, get special dialogue between old and new characters and so on. It may not be the excellent deal the game itself is, but, too me, it is well worth its price. Good news: If you don't want to buy it, you won't loose any of the experience. The game is excellent all by itself.
    Do I recommend this game? Yes. Of course. What a silly question. This may very well be the best SRPG of all time, and it is the best title in the 3DS library to date. If you own a 3DS, you'll need this game. And even if you don't own one, I highly recommend getting it alongside this gem. Truly a game for the ages.
  22. Mar 8, 2013
    Fire Emblem. 3DS. Awesome. Want more words? Get it. Makes excellent use of 3D, engaging story and characters, tried-and-true Fire Emblem strategy RPG gameplay.
  23. Apr 16, 2013
    Best game on 3ds so far by far, fire emblem features a better version of the series trademark turn based squad strategy combat. In this game you can pair up charters in battle for greater attacks and have them develop relationships and even get married. The story in this game is great and the anime cutscenes are animated very well, helping to flesh the story out. the graphics are not toBest game on 3ds so far by far, fire emblem features a better version of the series trademark turn based squad strategy combat. In this game you can pair up charters in battle for greater attacks and have them develop relationships and even get married. The story in this game is great and the anime cutscenes are animated very well, helping to flesh the story out. the graphics are not to flashy but what you would expect for a 3ds strategy game, but the battle sequences are AMAZING. bottom line BUY THIS GAME Expand
  24. Jun 22, 2013
    I don't often give 10/10 for games yet this one really does deserve it.
    I don't often give 10/10 for games yet this one really does deserve it.
    I'm a fan of Pokemon and other 'standard' RPGs but like some people get bored with the 'grind'. This just doesn't feel like grind at all. Strong story, character development and genuine team/character customisation makes this very addictive. DLC means that there is new content (some free) every Thursday and many maps to keep people happy...

I'm on my second playthrough and have put around 50 hours into this game in total. The replay value is excellent and the difficulty curve is manageable.

This game is by far the best Fire Emblem I've played and BY FAR the best 3DS game released so far. Move over Mario, your time is up!
  25. Aug 22, 2014
    I love this game I can spend all day reading getting everyone in the game to A support with each other and the battle are fun and I really enjoy a stagy game with actual character instead of customization soldiers.
  26. May 31, 2013
    I never heard of the fire emblem series until I played SSBM. and even after that I never played a fire emblem game. One day I saw a demo of this game for free and I decided to try it and man did I feel like I was missing out! Fire emblem awakening is incredibly addicting, fun, and the most important thing in RPGs, an experience.
    The story starts with u waking up in a field from a
    The story starts with u waking up in a field from a nightmare. You are greeted by chrom, a sheperd who shows incredible determination and comppassion toward all his other fellow sheperds. You awaken with no memory, yet u somehow know chrom's name? You then discover that the great kingdom Ylisse is under attack by Pledgia, a kingdom that only seeks to spread chaos.You also have to deal with these zombie like creatures called the risen. So being a person who just lost there memory, ur the perfect canidate to be these shepards tactician. Oh well video game logic. The fire emblem series is a tactical style RPG fantasy game. You begin a turn by moving a unit forward to the enemy. If your in attacking range of them you can attack them, however if they are also in attacking range they cant counter and attack u too unless of course u kill them. In the second turn, the enemy does the same. One of the biggest differences in Fire emblem has over most other RPG's is that once one of your teamates are defeated they are gone forever and can't return. This makes the game more challenging as u can't do something very reckless. One reviewer here complained this game was too easy and to that I say bull. I still to this day can't beat lunatic+ because if u aren't prepared u r going to be annihilated. If someone out there has actually beaten this mode, message me because I really want to know how. However that's what makes this game so addicting for me. I just for some reason can't stop trying again and again no matter how many times I fail. But for those intimidated by a challenge shouldn't fear because thanks to the new difficulty levels, and the option of turning the permanent death system on our off, this is a game suited for anyone, fire emblem fan out not. And I'm very thankful for this because it made it a lot easier for me to get more into this franchises. I could go over everything thing that I liked, but my favorite thing in this game has to be the support conversations. These things not only helped me in battle, but they also help to make every single play through different from the last. Also, the dialogue between these characters is probably some of the best and most entertaining.
    As for problems or issues there aren't that many to go over. The only thing I can pass off as a big con is the fact that the story isn't all that great. Yeah it's a good story, but nothing more than that. Most of the characters didn't take the events very seriously and most of the twists in the plot were very predictable because they were either foreshadowed, or your logic assumed that would happen. However story's in games isn't the selling point for me most of the time, so I don't find this a turnoff as most other fire emblem fans do. The rest of the complaints I have are just left in nitpicks like oh Roy, Martha, and Ike aren't in the story and the characters battle models are very innacurite." The only one of these nitpicks that really gets on my nerves is the voice acting. The voice actors in this game don't say much other than a few words and grunts which can get annoying when u here them over and over. I am aware u can turn it off, but the problem I have with this, is the fact that such great voice actors were just wasted. But these flaws don't put a candle into all the great aspects of this game.
    Fire emblem awakening is incredibly fun, has great visuals and sound, a ton of replay value, and the best part is u can take this game anywhere! If u have a 3ds and are going on vaction this summer, then buy this game and you will be able to entertain yourself for that whole car ride or flight. I haven't tried out the DLC, and I probably will not because I don't like to buy very much DLC, but for those who want even more play hours into this game, there u go. I can't give this game my highest recommendation because of the lag luster story, but for what it is I give this game a 9.6 go buy this game now our at least try the demo in the Eshop.
  27. Jul 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:
    - Great Strategy Game
    - Accessible to New Comers (Like Myself)
    - Astronomical Amount of Play Time (When including DLC and Side Missions)
    - Great Character Interaction

Cons:
    - Easy to Lose Interest
    - Uses of Cliches (MC having amnesia, Characters Stereotyping, etc.)
  28. Sep 27, 2013
    As a newcomer to the series, I didn't know what to expect from this latest title. I was pleasantly surprised by the game's depth and replayability. The characters are lovable and the battle mechanics fun. I would recommend this to anyone with a 3DS system.
  29. Jan 25, 2014
    I don't suppose it's unreasonable to call this the crown jewel of the 3DS lineup, and a must-have for any owner's collection. From the sales figures to the overall critical acclaim, no Nintendo employee or owner of this title can possibly refute the success it is for its system and its 40+ hours of playtime. Those interested in DLC, higher difficulty levels, and fully hashing out the manyI don't suppose it's unreasonable to call this the crown jewel of the 3DS lineup, and a must-have for any owner's collection. From the sales figures to the overall critical acclaim, no Nintendo employee or owner of this title can possibly refute the success it is for its system and its 40+ hours of playtime. Those interested in DLC, higher difficulty levels, and fully hashing out the many conversations between all the possible marital, filial, and civil relationships can easily find themselves at the 150+ hour mark. A success as an RPG in its metagame mechanics, a success as an epic in its storytelling and beautiful cutscenes, and a success as an overall work of art, it reigns king even approaching its first anniversary. Expand
  30. Jul 15, 2014
    I bought Fire Emblem: Awakening on a whim one day, and as a series newbie, I really didn't know what to expect. I was then pleasantly surprised to find I'd bought one of the best games I've played in recent years. The graphics and CGI cutscenes are incredibly stylish, and as someone who has always fallen flat with turn-based strategy games, I was amazed with how quickly I engaged with andI bought Fire Emblem: Awakening on a whim one day, and as a series newbie, I really didn't know what to expect. I was then pleasantly surprised to find I'd bought one of the best games I've played in recent years. The graphics and CGI cutscenes are incredibly stylish, and as someone who has always fallen flat with turn-based strategy games, I was amazed with how quickly I engaged with and got the hang of it. To more seasoned players I can see how it may come across a bit repetitive and simple, but that simplicity gives it a lot more accessibility, which a wonderful game like this should have.
    The story is interesting, and will appeal to anyone who likes a good fantasy narrative spliced with sorcery and dragons. Also, along the way in the adventure you build a band of beautifully designed, engaging characters who fight alongside you. There's also the support system, which is the icing on the cake; there's lots of lovely character development to discover as the characters get to know each other, not to mention the chance to marry them all off (which I really enjoyed)!
    In all seriousness, this is one of the best games for the 3DS so far, and you won't regret buying it!
  31. Dec 29, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever play in a pocket console, and one of the best games of rpg/ strategy. The best game in 3ds, by far. If you like to think and make good strategy, you must play this game.
  32. Feb 3, 2015
    It is the best game I have ever played, honestly. The art style is flawless, the gameplay is enrapturing, and the story is absolutely flawless. It is almost impossibly good.
  33. Apr 18, 2015
    This is a great game.

Things to note regarding gameplay that I found along the way: 1. There is a lot more to the romance and character interaction element than I was expecting there to be. Since I got the game for the tactics, playing part, this was more of a distraction/downside to me rather than an upside. That is of course just a personal preference though. 2. The best part
    This is a great game.

Things to note regarding gameplay that I found along the way:

2. The best part about this game is the variance in difficulty levels. Each difficulty level feels very different. Additionally, by being able to choose your own difficulty level this game is really nice for more than just one type of person.

3. There is a solid base of tactics that comes with the differences between the classes. There is difference in movement, you are either: on foot, flying, or on a ground mount. There is also a difference in weaponry, which results in a rock-paper-scissors element. These elements along with other complexities that arise with them keep the tactics element very present.

4. While the above is true, I do note though that even though there are a wide variety of class choices, the attack-range patterns amongst them are very similar. For attacking, you can either be ranged and attack two spaces away, or be close ranged and attack one space away. This is as much variation as you get. This seems lacking to me, as one of my most favorite turn based strategy games is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for GBA, which has a lot more variation in terms of attacks. Since games like those exist, I wonder why the same could not be done for this one?

5. Going along with the above, I think magic is slightly overpowered compared to the other attacks since it is both a 1 and 2 ranged attack. While I believe mages are supposed to be weaker defense wise to counterbalance this, there are enough classes that have magic as well as defense capabilities that this concern is less so for the most part.
  34. Jan 4, 2016
    I recently got this game (before Christmas) and i have put a solid 40+ hours into this game. This game has an amazing story, Wonderful combat system, amazing characters, and so much more. When i bought a new Nintendo 3ds i didn't expect to play games with great stories while also having great game play. This game is a soild 10/10 and a MUST HAVE game for your 3ds! i am excited for once toI recently got this game (before Christmas) and i have put a solid 40+ hours into this game. This game has an amazing story, Wonderful combat system, amazing characters, and so much more. When i bought a new Nintendo 3ds i didn't expect to play games with great stories while also having great game play. This game is a soild 10/10 and a MUST HAVE game for your 3ds! i am excited for once to buy dlc for a game! Expand
  35. Apr 9, 2013
    This was definitely a very good game, with hours put into it and hours left of it to play. The turn based strategy isn't my favorite form of combat, but the good reviews lead me into buying it anyway, and I was not disappointed. Still, it could get repetitive going on and on after fight, and when you started to run out of characters (If you play on permadeath) some missions feelThis was definitely a very good game, with hours put into it and hours left of it to play. The turn based strategy isn't my favorite form of combat, but the good reviews lead me into buying it anyway, and I was not disappointed. Still, it could get repetitive going on and on after fight, and when you started to run out of characters (If you play on permadeath) some missions feel impossible. The story and cut scenes are great though, from the graphics to the dialogue to the twists, and if you ever start getting bored of a cut scene an amazing one will come make you take it all back. Expand
  36. Feb 16, 2013
    This game is absolutely art. It has 2 key features that change a great Fire Emblem into a PERFECT fire emblem
    Re playable Maps and Option for non permanent death.
    Never before have I felt so emotionally invested in characters from a video game, Except maybe Kingdom Hearts.. The mechanics to this game where absolutely perfectly well done. I cannot WAIT to play all the loads of
    Re playable Maps and Option for non permanent death.

The mechanics to this game where absolutely perfectly well done.

I cannot WAIT to play all the loads of DLC yet to come!

The DLC is bringing back some of my favorite characters from old games. Karel, Hector, Marth, Ike, and many MANY more.

This is easily in the top 10, if not top 5 of my favorite games of all time.
  37. Jun 11, 2013
    This game takes the best aspects of the previous Fire Emblem games, and melds them into one perfect game. If you have a 3DS you must have this game. It's fun, enjoyable, and a blast!
  38. Sep 1, 2013
    Wow, just Wow, this game honors the fire emblem saga, beautiful story line, characters, CHARACTERIZATION, the game play, the tactics the challenge. Definitively a must play for 3ds, Do play it if you are not familiar with the series. The wedding/having kids detail is new and well placed.
  39. Sep 23, 2013
    I'm a long time fan of the series, having played each game available stateside (and several that typically aren't, thanks to fan translations.) This is why I can say without hesitation that this game is easily the best in the series. Crisp and stunning graphics, solid and spot on game play, and writing/humor that's unparalleled in the genre.

The biggest addition to this game over the

The biggest addition to this game over the other titles is the DLC- downloadable and replayable chapters that add a lot of longevity to this title, and remove the need for both bonus experience and arenas from the previous game. Add this to the fun that can be had by battling or buying from people you casually pass on the street, and you can still be playing this months after purchase.

Other changes from the series include different modes- casual and classic. Classic maintains what's always been important in the series, and that's the importance of each unit you field- in classic, if they fall, they're gone for good. However, the new casual mode allows you to keep units even after they fall, with the exception of certain highly important characters who will prompt a game over instead. This, in addition to the varying game difficulties and ability to save during battles makes the title far more accessible to the more casual audience- while maintaining modes that are incredibly difficult to defeat for even the most hardcore fan of the series.

Also introduced for the first time stateside is now combat-worthy Avatar unit. In the original GBA Fire Emblem you were able to create a character, but it was more a plot device and NPC than anything else. In Awakening, your character is customizable and treated like everyone else- able to fight, grow, converse and marry. It is also used as a representative for your streetpass team, and able to be recruited by those who can defeat you, meaning your character can exist far beyond your own game.

All these new additions plus an update to the overall graphic style, an absolutely stunning soundtrack (Four CDs worth!), brilliant writing, and a compelling story make for a fantastic game in its own right- and for Fire Emblem itself, it has seated itself as the jewel of the series. Prepare yourself!
  40. Dec 2, 2013
    This game is definitely my game of the year. It has the best graphics on the 3ds, the gameplay is so addicting, and the story is awesome. The characters are amazing and well developed, it has so much content that is will keep you busy for months, and the wireless features always keep me coming back. There is not a single negative comment that i can say about this game, even if you don'tThis game is definitely my game of the year. It has the best graphics on the 3ds, the gameplay is so addicting, and the story is awesome. The characters are amazing and well developed, it has so much content that is will keep you busy for months, and the wireless features always keep me coming back. There is not a single negative comment that i can say about this game, even if you don't like strategy turn based rpgs you should give this game a go. i recommended it to 6 of my friend who don't really like the genre and they are in love with it and can't put it down. Expand
  41. Aug 25, 2014
    The way I stumbled across this game is when a friend called and said he would be going to gamestop and asked if I wanted to come along. I said yes because I had nothing else to do. The game I decided to buy was Fire Emblem: Awakening. I'm glad I went because I didn't, I would not have bought this 3DS gem. The thing about Fire Emblem: Awakening is that its just fun. Its fun to clear theThe way I stumbled across this game is when a friend called and said he would be going to gamestop and asked if I wanted to come along. I said yes because I had nothing else to do. The game I decided to buy was Fire Emblem: Awakening. I'm glad I went because I didn't, I would not have bought this 3DS gem. The thing about Fire Emblem: Awakening is that its just fun. Its fun to clear the board and its fun to get new items. I would highly recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  42. Apr 12, 2016
    El juego que tu 3ds debe tener
    Si existe una franquicia que ha sabido permanecer con alta calidad, es la de Fire Emblem.
    Acá tenemos una mantenida calidad de la mano de aspectos esenciales de la saga pero de una manera más flexible. En esta ocasión el protagonista seremos nosotros, de la mano de Chrom, príncipe de Ylisse, con el cual seremos parte de una historia interesante y compleja,
    El juego que tu 3ds debe tener
    En esta ocasión el protagonista seremos nosotros, de la mano de Chrom, príncipe de Ylisse, con el cual seremos parte de una historia interesante y compleja, llena de vuelcos argumentales y tramas interesantes.
    Entre las novedades que se nos presentan está la inmersión de nosotros en la historia principal, siendo parte intrínsecamente como un protagonista en concreto dándole aspectos de integración y emotividad en cada escena.
    Otra novedad es la aparición de hijos en la historia, la cual reemplaza la adhesión de personajes injustificados o casi sin importancia en la trama a nuestro ejército como se vio en entregas anteriores, mejorando de manera inteligente.
    También es posible generar Pair up, juntar unidades para complementarlas según sus aptitudes y crear una única unidad por el tiempo que estimemos para resolver instancias críticas dentro del juego, como mejorando nuestros stats o simplemente para salvar determinada unidad de la muerte, otorgando así mayor cantidad de estrategias disponibles siendo completamente necesaria para lograr finalizar el juego.
    Integra de manera excelente el spotpass y el streetpass, pudiendo luchar con los ejércitos de tus amigos o quien posea el juego, además de descargar contenido gratuito y de pago para aumentar las horas de juego.
    Este juego es recomendable para neófitos y puristas, dando diferentes modalidades de dificultad y la opción de jugar modo clásico cuando eliminan un personaje para siempre (como ha sido la tónica del fire emblem) o modo casual donde las unidades reaparecen al finalizar la misión.
    Si bien la historia es buena, creo que no supera la versión de gamecube siendo la mejor por tener mejores vuelcos, más extensa y tratar temas más maduros. Sin embargo esto se compensa con el contenido adicional que dispone el juego.
    Un punto desfavorable es el bug del idioma. Es posible jugar con voces en japonés y subtítulos en español, pero al momento de apagar la consola o resetearla, las voces cambiarán automáticamente al idioma inglés, mientras que las cinemáticas continuarán con voces japonesas. Este error nunca fue solucionado por Nintendo quedándonos sólo con la opción de tener que cambiar el idioma cada vez que iniciamos el juego, única manera de poder tener las voces en el idioma de origen.
    También es necesario mencionar que la inteligencia artificial se limita solamente a intentar atacar a nuestras unidades más débiles en lo que respecta la resistencia, concentrándose así en matarlas, pese a que es una manera básica de estrategia por parte de nuestros enemigos no quita la eficacia, llegando a crear estrategias donde tendremos que solamente lograr ganar mientras cuidamos de nuestras unidades débiles. Pese a que carece de complejidad la estrategia enemiga, si es efectiva dándonos un considerable reto.
    Pero esto no quita mérito al juego, es uno de los mejores de la consola, divertidos, con una excelente rejugabilidad y variabilidad, el tiempo de juego será tan largo como el jugador quiera y sentirá que cada misión necesitará una nueva estrategia. La música tiene melodías medievales muy buenas que por sí solas enganchan pero como soundtrack completo decae comparado entregas anteriores.
    Fire emblem es uno de los mejores juegos en estrategia que ha salido últimamente, siendo unos de los mejores de la saga y de la consola 3ds, perfecto para quienes gusten de retos o gusten de juegos de estrategias; amigable con los neófitos a la saga y el estilo, Fire Emblem: Awakenings invita a todo el mundo a ser parte de su ejército.
  43. Apr 12, 2016
    This is my first game of Fire Emblem but I found the best game of 3ds.The History is Pretty good but it's not perfect, the graphics are amazing for a 3ds.And the game have a lot of hours and is incredibly addicting.The soundtrack is amazing and the cutscenes are awesome
  44. Apr 23, 2016
    An absolute triumph of a game. Whether you have been with the series for years or this is your first encounter with Fire Emblem this game is everything you can ask for. The Tactical Role Playing gameplay is as refined and enjoyable as ever with the standard weapon triangle system giving an in-depth strategical element to the game. It looks great for the system and has an amazingAn absolute triumph of a game. Whether you have been with the series for years or this is your first encounter with Fire Emblem this game is everything you can ask for. The Tactical Role Playing gameplay is as refined and enjoyable as ever with the standard weapon triangle system giving an in-depth strategical element to the game. It looks great for the system and has an amazing soundtrack. The story and characters of this game is where it truly comes alive however. The story has everything from lighthearted moments to tragic moments and the characters are incredibly developed and will either make you love them or love to hate them. The support system also gives you more reason to care about these characters and gives an added layer of strategy to the game. Overall and amazing game and one of the best on the 3DS. Expand
  45. Apr 15, 2013
    The 3DS has announced an impressive line up of games this coming year with Fire Emblem Awakening leading the charge. The successful pairing of accessibility and challenge makes Awakening the first of many upcoming games to make 3DS owners proud.
    The most obvious upgrade is in the presentation. From cute 2d sprites to stylized in-game models, to cinematic CGI cutscenes, this game is beautiful. Expect to be turning your 3D on more than usual to see this game in all it's glory. Awakening is one of the best looking games on the 3DS and will be considered such for years to come.
    Gameplay changes are a bit more subtle, but these enhancements are the reason players will log hundreds of hours into the game. The main theme is the connection between units which is found in all aspects of the game. Adjacent units will give extra stat boosts, extra attacks, and even negate damage to the active unit. The traditional "rescue" command is replaced with the similar "pair up" option between units. This not only applies the functionality of "rescue" but turns the two units into one super-unit by combining stats. This mechanic allows for so many strategic options and fun combinations to try depending on the situation. The support mechanic from previous games is still intact and is expanded to the point that your units can get married and have children. Earning support points is fun not only because of the unit augmentation in battle, but the plethora of support conversations are all enjoyable. Players will likely go through the game multiple times to see them all.
    Awakening's story is actually very engaging since players must create their own character and forge their own bonds. The main story line is only slightly over 2 dozen chapters but the side-quests, DLC, co-op battles, random challenges, class changing, and difficulty levels add more than enough to the game's re-playability.
    Fans might be disappointed that player versus player competition has been ousted, there are still redeemable multi-player options in Awakening. By using Streetpass, players can battle an AI controlled version of someone's team. There is also a co-op mode with it's own separate set of missions where players can pair up and take turns as a super-unit.
    There are many accessibility options for newcomers, such as casual mode, but do not confuse accessible with easy. Awakening is still tough to beat, especially at higher difficulty levels. This game can be played hardcore or not depending on the preferred experience an there is fun to be had on both sides.
    3DS owners, Fire Emblem Awakening is a must-buy. You have waited long enough for a game like this. You deserve it.
  46. Feb 18, 2013
    Great visuals, large amount of great quality content and lovable characters in a fantastic story. Excellent RPG system in how you can manage a character's growth into a variety of classes while retaining bonuses. This game is both perfect for newcomers and fans of the franchise.
  47. Mar 24, 2013
    Excellent game across the board. Great strategic depth that stays true to the series classics, an attractive art style, and gorgeous animated sequences make this game a must have for anyone interested in the RPG or Strategy genres.
  48. Feb 5, 2013
    A very good reason to buy a 3DS. The best way to bring newcomers into the franchise with an easy mode that is optional. It takes away the option of permadeath in the game and allows the gamer to proceed the story without worry of an important death in the squad. CGI cutscenes bring the entire story together into a cohesive blend of action gameplay and a great story to back it up. Free DayA very good reason to buy a 3DS. The best way to bring newcomers into the franchise with an easy mode that is optional. It takes away the option of permadeath in the game and allows the gamer to proceed the story without worry of an important death in the squad. CGI cutscenes bring the entire story together into a cohesive blend of action gameplay and a great story to back it up. Free Day 1 DLC brings a favorite character of the franchise with more DLC to come in the future. Totally worth the $40 and a new 3DS. Expand
  49. Feb 4, 2013
    Easily the best game to date in the 3DS, a game that sets the tone for what's to come for the 3DS as the successor of the "king of rpgs" the DS... Go buy it now, you won't be disappointed.
  50. Feb 5, 2013
    great game.its fun,challenging,and very satisfying.story is engaging with chracters you care about,lots of customization,has good graphics and level design,controls are great,and music is one of the better soundtracks from a video game ive heard in awhile.a game that tests your brain rather than kill things mindlessly and that what i like about it the most. even after i finished the gamegreat game.its fun,challenging,and very satisfying.story is engaging with chracters you care about,lots of customization,has good graphics and level design,controls are great,and music is one of the better soundtracks from a video game ive heard in awhile.a game that tests your brain rather than kill things mindlessly and that what i like about it the most. even after i finished the game i still want to go back and play it, its that good. a game worth $40 and one of the best 3ds titles to date. Expand
  51. Feb 4, 2013
    Sem duvida não podemos negar que e um dos melhores games do 3DS...
    Não existe como negar!
    Tudo esta equilibrado, consegue ser difícil, mas mantem a os modos originais que consagraram a franquia.
    Sem duvidas esse game merece 10/10!
  52. Feb 7, 2013
    Finally, the game everyone's been waiting for! Though most are still impatiently waiting (due to shipping issues), some have proceeded to download the digital copy and immediately thanked themselves, among other unspeakable things. This is definitely the much needed scratch for the strategist's itch. From the intuitive battle system, beautiful music scores and masterfully writtenFinally, the game everyone's been waiting for! Though most are still impatiently waiting (due to shipping issues), some have proceeded to download the digital copy and immediately thanked themselves, among other unspeakable things. This is definitely the much needed scratch for the strategist's itch. From the intuitive battle system, beautiful music scores and masterfully written dialogue, this game is easily another must have for anyone even slightly interested in the genre. The battles have never been more intense, as you've never felt more of a connection with the characters. Each characters flowing with personality. Some charming, some annoying, some lovable, and ALL capable of being turned into cannon fodder, should you let your guard down (or if you're conspiring). Top it all off with enthused, well spoken voice overs that never overstep their purpose and vivid cut scene videos that never fail to impress. All in all, this game is a MUST HAVE for anyone seeking to exercise wit and is even tailored to newcomers in the new Classic mode. I'm slightly bummed out at the limitations of online mode. Should a DLC for online battles be released, I'd change my score to a perfect 10. I highly recommend picking this one up, even if you're slightly interested. I know a couple of people who recently purchased the 3ds for this game alone, if that tells you anything. "9 out of 10" plasticEGO Expand
  53. Feb 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gorgeous graphics, a compelling story, and some of the best tactical strategy combat on offer all combine to make Fire Emblem a must-have game for any 3DS owner. Even having not played any of the previous instalments in this long-running series, I have become totally engrossed in every little detail about this game, seeking that perfect experience.

The streetpass functionality in this game is brilliant allowing you to trade with, as well as, fight and/or hire your friends and strangers who own the game as well. The added DLC means that even when the story mode is done, there will be extra content to further enhance your Fire Emblem experience.

The vast amount of characters you can recruit, even early in the game, means that your future playthroughs could be radically different from your first. These addition playthroughs will also be influenced by the well-crafted difficulty scale, which can be absolutely brutal or, for newcomers, a way to get you into the game without ruining the experience. The scaling difficulty is also enhanced by the casual/classic playthrough options, which means life and death for your characters who fall on the battlefield.

There are few detracting aspects about this game. As a beginner, the tutorials offer a quick, yet thorough, explanation to most aspects of the game. My only complaint is the lack of explanation for how the job system and stats work. I've also found the game, on a whole, looks better on the XL over the regular 3DS. The only major story flaw I've had an issue with has been an apparent life or death choice for a major NPC, which the player is faced with fairly early in the game. No matter which option the player chooses, the outcome remains the same, save for a few lines of dialogue. If the choice had no impact on the story, the question of why it was there in the first place must be asked.

Fire Emblem: Awakening, is an amazing game, and one that most 3DS owners should buy. Its rich story, stand-out characters, excellently-crafted battle system, and unique job classes, will pull you in to the game and hold you there.
  54. Feb 23, 2013
    It feels great to be back on a fire Emblem game. it is the best 3DS game since Super Mario 3D Land. The animation cut scenes are breath taking, and look gorgeous on the 3DS. the game play is still a amazing jrpg and rts game of all time in quit a long time. the voice acting is great in English and Japanese there is no complaint for not listening to both in English and Japanese. upgradingIt feels great to be back on a fire Emblem game. it is the best 3DS game since Super Mario 3D Land. The animation cut scenes are breath taking, and look gorgeous on the 3DS. the game play is still a amazing jrpg and rts game of all time in quit a long time. the voice acting is great in English and Japanese there is no complaint for not listening to both in English and Japanese. upgrading your character is end list to want you want to upgrade on all your character. There is a lot of side quest to level up your characters in the game. This is game is great to have in your 3Ds library! Expand
  55. Mar 25, 2013
    Very, very easily one of the best 3DS games so far. The graphics are amazing, the story gripping, and the possibilities endless. The inclusion of "Casual mode" definitely makes the game more available to newer players, while the original mode makes each decision important, just like the previous games. I do think that the game was made a bit too easy in parts- you could recruit maxed outVery, very easily one of the best 3DS games so far. The graphics are amazing, the story gripping, and the possibilities endless. The inclusion of "Casual mode" definitely makes the game more available to newer players, while the original mode makes each decision important, just like the previous games. I do think that the game was made a bit too easy in parts- you could recruit maxed out characters via Spotpass even before you completed the game, which I think they should have waited until the end to grant you. More diverse choices may also have been a good addition, like in Sacred Stones, where at one point you had to choose to go with one or the other protagonist. Besides these, I think that a new portable Fire Emblem game was far overdue, and this is the perfect way to bring the franchise back. Expand
  56. May 21, 2013
    Brilliant game. The graphics are awesome for a handheld console and the Japanese art styles for the different characters are beautiful to look at. Gameplay is amazing and I don't think I have ever played such a great SRPG, the storyline is extremely interesting and you'll be talking to everyone who has it about your different character marriages and relationships. The DLC is paid yes, butBrilliant game. The graphics are awesome for a handheld console and the Japanese art styles for the different characters are beautiful to look at. Gameplay is amazing and I don't think I have ever played such a great SRPG, the storyline is extremely interesting and you'll be talking to everyone who has it about your different character marriages and relationships. The DLC is paid yes, but really entertaining and the support conversations in the game can be hilarious. One of my favourite games ever and definitely 100% deserves this year's GOTY award. Expand
  57. Sep 26, 2013
    I absolutely love this game. I have been playing it for some time now and everything charms me, the story, characters, combat system... It's a MUST buy for every 3DS owner!
  58. Nov 1, 2013
    With out a doubt, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. There is absolutely nothing else to say here.
  59. Sep 21, 2014
    One of the best games I've brought this year. The Graphics are beautiful and actually look good in 3D (A rarity for the system in my experience) and the gameplay is engaging. It's difficult in places and I've gameover'd my fare share of times whilst playing on difficult but I don't find it frustrating in the way in would have with some other games.
    I really enjoyed the support
    I really enjoyed the support conversations to the point where I would play random encounters with weaker characters not only to level them up but to try different support combos so I could see all the conversations.
    My one complaint would be that the ending felt and bit rushed and the game a little too short for my liking, however this is made up for by the sheer replayability of this game and some half decent DLC which isn't badly priced and is fun to play
  60. Jun 7, 2015
    Oh man... This game, this game is life. The story is very well thought out, and the combat system is so amazing, they must have spent years thinking it all out. You WILL fall in love with at least one of the characters, and the marriage system is brilliant.
    The only downside I can think of is, the higher difficulties, (Lunatic and Lunatic+) are the hardest things that are in existence.
    I
    I was addicted to this games for months, I seriously needed help.
    Those couple hundred hours were not wasted, go and get it.
  61. Apr 20, 2013
    This game is a must buy, This was the reason i bought a 3ds. Bravo for bringing this to the US. This game has awesome replay value. The DLC makes the already high replay value through the roof. I have 90+ plus across 2 save files.

Pros: High Replay Value Highest Difficulties give a real challenge. Lots of customization You can re-roll any playable character in the game. Cons: 3,

Pros:
    High Replay Value
    Highest Difficulties give a real challenge.
    Lots of customization
    You can re-roll any playable character in the game.

Cons:
    3, possibly 5 save slots if you use casual mode saves.
    Certain skills make the game super easy, but later balanced to the harder difficultly
  62. Feb 5, 2013
    The Fire Emblem you enjoy and loved now only better with awesome improvements. The characters and the story are engaging and well though, the battle system are improved with the Marriage and a much better Support system. The localization was superb, VAs fits the dialogue well, and man do I need to mention the awesome graphics that comes with different art styles? The gorgeous pixel arts.The Fire Emblem you enjoy and loved now only better with awesome improvements. The characters and the story are engaging and well though, the battle system are improved with the Marriage and a much better Support system. The localization was superb, VAs fits the dialogue well, and man do I need to mention the awesome graphics that comes with different art styles? The gorgeous pixel arts. Story, gameplay and graphics. This game is solid. Expand
  63. Feb 19, 2013
    graphics looks amazing for the 3ds the terrain on the maps looks fantastic and if you turn on 3d all i can say is wow. combat animation is very good you have the option to see your character the auto tilt of the camera angle is really good then pause while they fight turn on the 3d and they looks like a live action figure now for the gameplay is the best in the series if i compare it tographics looks amazing for the 3ds the terrain on the maps looks fantastic and if you turn on 3d all i can say is wow. combat animation is very good you have the option to see your character the auto tilt of the camera angle is really good then pause while they fight turn on the 3d and they looks like a live action figure now for the gameplay is the best in the series if i compare it to the previous game fire emblem awakening to other fire emblem game you will notice the big improvement of the game. the strategy is keep getting better with the new combat system pairing will give you an advantage you can use it in many different way like killing your enemy much faster because when you pair 2 units into 1 you will get stat boos assist boost dual attack and block. correct me if i'm wrong but i think this is the 1st fire emblem game that have an voice acting during combat animation. next up is the classing system and skills wow this thing is amazing on your previous fire emblem game you can do reclassing but not here when you reclass you will go back to level 1 and your stat will remain there is so many potential will your character the weapons i like the new idea of making the weapon actually they holding it instead of the default weapon during their combat animation and not to mention the weapon increase in durability and i like it. the settings on the game also involve in the game play i like the option where you can change voice language skip enemy animation either movement or all you can also disable other animation including healing and dance there is now an option that during your turn you will only have a combat animation your enemy doesn't have. now for the story i'm not yet done with the story mode but i choose hard classic and at chapter 23 i already spend a freaking 80hrs on my save file the reason behind that is i really enjoy grinding when you learn how to grind fast you cant stop doing it ok back to the story the is fine may around average or above because what makes the story is your decision so i don't want spoiler here but i like the story so far in addition the support conversation add a big value into the game my favorite is owain and inigo where owain tell inigo your weapon is suffering it needs a name and then owain said to inigo you should ask your and then inigo cant have the answer because he can't speak sword man that was the funny part other part is sad by the way. last this game is an single player focus i was wondering if this game have an multiplayer where you can fight other player online no i realize it maybe lack of that feature but they did a really good job for a single player game focus there is a multplayer mode but if ever you really fight other army. last the streetpass wow it's only a small portion of data but i find fun because my first victim is may college prof haha street pass enable other view his profile fight him buy item and recruit, there is also spot where they give spotpass team of previous fire emblem game you can fight them recruit or buy an item i use them as grinding spot spot pass also giving free item for now its only tryfrying but maybe we can see many item in the next month, there is also a map right now i can't access it last the avatar log book you can create your avatar into a profile card something you can also recruit your other save file if you make an avatar logbook but it cost you a gold, wait the DLC so far DLC is a big help get the gold pack now while they are 6$ that dlc is totally worht it.
    if your a fire emblem fan get this game best version ever in the fire emblem series for now. if your a fire emblem fan who doesn't have a 3ds you have to buy one trust me the game is very worth playing and addicting. last for all fan of SRPG get this game no need to doubt because if you are new to the series there is a casual mode to play with but a hard core SRPG no doubt i recommend you to start playing classic Normal if you are new to fire emblem for old fire emblem fan go straight to hard or lunatic not casual straight ahead to classic.
  64. Feb 4, 2013
    Great graphics with multiple art styles and a voice acting 2nd only to kid icarus It has the same formula as all the fire emblems you come to love but gives you the choice to play on easy mode so beginners to the franchise can first get used to it then can play it harder, it even receives some great crafted dlc and wireless co-op mode to make t on of the greatest games in the 3ds library,Great graphics with multiple art styles and a voice acting 2nd only to kid icarus It has the same formula as all the fire emblems you come to love but gives you the choice to play on easy mode so beginners to the franchise can first get used to it then can play it harder, it even receives some great crafted dlc and wireless co-op mode to make t on of the greatest games in the 3ds library, that's allot to say considering you have mario 3d land and kid icarus. Expand
  65. Feb 4, 2013
    The best Fire Emblem game to date. The graphics are top notch and the 3D is very well implemented. Voice acting is great, even the English dub. Gameplay is the best it's ever been with the addition of the new support and tag systems. Character interactions and support conversations are the best in the series and the revived marriage system is just delightful and adds lots of choice andThe best Fire Emblem game to date. The graphics are top notch and the 3D is very well implemented. Voice acting is great, even the English dub. Gameplay is the best it's ever been with the addition of the new support and tag systems. Character interactions and support conversations are the best in the series and the revived marriage system is just delightful and adds lots of choice and depth to gameplay. The best Fire Emblem and 3DS game yet. Great for either series veterans or newcomers, with it's various difficulty options and even various menu options to support player preference. Expand
  66. Feb 14, 2013
    This is my very first review on a game and on metacritic. Fire Emblem: Awakening is a must-have game for 3DS owners everywhere. This game has lots of content built into it and the DLCs that are still coming just makes it even more worth it.
    The characters are awesome, they have very unique personalities, and it's very enjoyable making supports with every character which brings out their personalities and help the players understand them more, especially your avatar.
    The story is simply epic to behold. The story takes place thousands of years after Shadow Dragon, but rarely makes references to it so you can say it's a new game in its own right instead of calling it a sequel. I don't want to give off spoilers, but you can read other reviews and they mostly, if not all, say it's great.
    There are over 40 classes that exists in the game. You can reclass to many other classes to unlock new skills with your avatar, but some are limited in reclassing, but it shouldn't bother most people much.
    The gameplay keeps the traditional feel of past Fire Emblem games except for the newly added Dual System which helps characters pair up and fight against other enemies together for more advantages. So, in a way, it feels "new" from my standpoint because I still haven't fully grasped its full potential. There are many ways to use it that it'll blow your mind.
    This game is flowing with content and you'll keep playing it for a very long time.
    I know it seems like I didn't explain everything most of the time, but I'm not very good at reviews and I'm making this review for Fire Emblem: Awakening because of how much it impacted me to just let it all out and try and express how great the game is. Again, it's a really great game to have in your 3DS library and you'll have a great time with it like I have and many others.
  67. Feb 23, 2013
    I've been a long time user of metacritic, yet never had the desire to create an account. Having said that alone is a sure indication of how brilliant I feel this game is. I also haven't owned a nintendo product since SNES, but I already feel this system is gonna pay for itself with this game alone. This game is putt my fanboyism to rest, and is a much needed from the shovelware circusI've been a long time user of metacritic, yet never had the desire to create an account. Having said that alone is a sure indication of how brilliant I feel this game is. I also haven't owned a nintendo product since SNES, but I already feel this system is gonna pay for itself with this game alone. This game is putt my fanboyism to rest, and is a much needed from the shovelware circus that is modern gaming. Why are you still reading? See for yourself. Expand
  68. Mar 13, 2013
    all the people that gave this game negative feedback, must be disgruntled PSVITA owners.
    this game is just incredible.

easily one of the best portable games of the current gen handhelds
  69. Mar 14, 2013
    This is a game that has been refined for all players... a simplistic battle system on the outside, with an intricate and detailed system underneath to add mroe depth to the battle system with options for every skill level of players. It also includes a very engaging story, although maybe a bit chatty at times, is still one that has me wondering what will happen next.

The story is very

The story is very engaging, although i feel a bit upset that the character that you create has very little impact on the story... your character feels like he's just standing off to the side watching as the bigger events unfold. however the smaller, person-to-person interactions are plentiful, even with your character. As you play, character who fight beside one another get better relationship strength, and over time you have the option to see interactions between them, which really dive into the characters personalities and back stories. It's often small and meaningless to the grander story, but it's still interesting to learn about the individuals that make up your team.

The gameplay is simplistic, with a turn based, and grid based battle system, along with a rock-paper-scissors bonus that is easy to understand, and easy to see on screen. There is rarely a moment that you are unsure of how your move will have an effect on battle or surprised when a move goes bad because of how well the information is displayed. You're given all the information you need to make solid decisions, and the only reason that a decision might go badly for you is by your own carelessness or by a slim chance of a critical hit that you weren't expecting. It feels fair and balanced, and you never truly feel like the game has cheated you, only that you made a poor decision in some way when things go south.

Thankfully, there is a new variant on difficulty levels in this game. not only can you choose how deadly the opposing teams cane be, but you can also choose whether or not your fallen comrades die when their HP reaches 0 or for them to retreat and come back in the next battle. So you can choose to have a moderately difficult enemy, but at the same time you won't have to fear the loss of life because of a single wrong move.

The graphics are very nice, with hand drawn portraits conversing together in cut scenes, detailed battle zones, and 3D models of the character battling up close. however there's not really much to look at. with your camera high in the sky overlooking the battlefield, the 2D sprites dont look very special scattered across the battlefield, and although the 3D fight scenes are intriguing, they're not particularly interesting after watching them for a few hours, although you CAN change the camera for different effects, which is interesting. It's nothing t ocall home about, but it's a notable improvement.

All in all, this RPG is a great game for anyone who enjoys a long and enjoyable experience with various degrees of difficulty and plenty of levels of depth.
  70. Mar 23, 2013
    This game was just utterly amazing. I signed up just to review this game. I am not a fan of strategy RPG games but Fire Emblem has changed my mind about the whole genre. This game came as a shock for me because I would not have imagined the amount of love I have for this game. If you own a 3DS and don't own this game then that's your loss at an amazing experience.
  71. Sep 29, 2013
    Intro:
    I'm a huge fan of turn-based RPG. Though I haven't played much on its respective genre, I love all of them. I also got my 3DS few months ago and this is my 2nd game. I'm having my 2nd playthrough right now. I just love this game till the very game.:D Let's start with the spot-on review shall we?
    Intro:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Story/Plot 9/10:
    As I play my very first Fire Emblem, I have no idea what the franchise is all about though I know Ike since I've heard a lot of him and all I know are the protagonist have blue hair. Anyway, I think they started fresh here or the game is based several decades after the last game(which I haven't played yet but I might.) It has a good complete story. The immersion is there, you will really feel the sheperds' struggle to win the war and end the fighting. I never got bored playing it and I want to progress cuz I love the story so much. It's the reason why I have a 2nd playthrough right now cuz I kinda rushed things on my 1st playthrough.

Graphics 10/10:
    As a portable game, this game has a very good graphics. It's one of the best. Some terrains may look low-res but when your 3D is on. Dayum, it just looks fascinating and beautiful. You cannot see their feet though. Each character has their own design and look so all of them are unique. Animations are smooth too.

Gameplay 10/10:
    It's simple, just like any other SRPG but it's just so awesome to watch. It has 3 different angles to watch how your character kills the enemy. It's just so fun to look at. You have different classes, from beginner's class to advanced class with different skill set as you level up so it's fun to grind the enemies and get level up so you can build the ultimate weapon on your team. You also have a lot of characters to play with. Though be careful not to let them get killed since if you're a fan of the franchise, you know that the game's default is permanent death.

Sound/Dialogue 8/10:
    I've played the game with 2 different languages. I like the japanese more. This maybe the lowest score that I will give on this game since I find it annoying how the popout sounds when they're having a dialogue. Like "Hey" "Uh." hehehehe". I just find it annoying and I would really love it if they have voiced all of the dialogues which is hard because the game is based on your decisions so it's not linear.

Replay Value 10/10:
    Try marrying everyone on the game, it'd be fun. though most dialogues on the game are common but some are really special. I really want to see all of their S support. But that would probably take me a lot of playthrough. So that's enough said. The replay value is so high because I love the support dialogues.

Note: Don't let your character marry someone until you get all the characters. xD

Final Verdict: 9.4/10
  72. Jun 29, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening, a great game i have been wanting for a while. And 19th of April, or February 4th, if you live in the United States, it finally arrived. It exceeded my expectations. And my expectations were that it would be one of my favorite games ever.

Fire Emblem Awakening`s gameplay is only one of the things that make it such a gem, but it is splendid. The main focus of Fire Emblem Awakening`s gameplay is turmbased strategy. In the game, you pick characters which you want to use in battles first, and then you start the fight. The game`s fighting cutscenes are beautiful. They truly show what the 3DS is made of. They way that the fighting works is this; you move a character to a opponent`s spot so you can attack it. In battle, you`ll have 3 numbers on your bottom screen. Atk is how much damage you will deal to an enemy. Hit is your (sort of) accuracy. The higher the better. Crit is your crit chance. This is also, the higher, the better.

General things are one of the better aspects of the game in comparison with other Fire Emblem games. One of those is character customisation. The ability to totally make your own character from scratch even with a by yourself chosen voice is really fun, although they could have made that a little bit better.

Straying off of the character customisation, let's take a look at the CG cutscense of this game. These are rendered fully in 3D, with a Anime-like style. It's insanely awesome. The voice acting that comes with it enhances it, too. Which leads us to the characters. Man, what are those memorable. You have Chrom, the noble leader of the Shepherds, a force trying to help the county of Ylisse, and hte Shepherds themselves. Every character has different dialogues and backstory, which adds for an amzing game.

Also, carried over from the first 12 games, you have the fact that if a character gets defeated, they`ll be gone FOREVER. This is one of the things that makes the franchise great for me. But in this one, you have two options. Classic Mode, is what i just explained to you, but Casual Mode, makes your allies only defeated, and not dead. This makes the game WAY easier to pick up for casual players. You also have difficulties in this game, which makes it even easier to pick up, but also a challenge for veterans. For myself, i don`t see the fun in casual, or the lowerst difficulty. But all these things make Fire Emblem Awakening the amazing game that it is.

Okay, i feel like a broken recordplayer, but this is one of the things that makes this game great. You start in a mission which seems random; you just control the character you made, and Chrom. You beat up one bad guy, and than the mission is over. You think. The bad guy fires a ball thing at Chrom, and you push him aside, sacrificing yourself. Chrom survives, but YOU become evil and kill Chrom.

DONE, GAME IS OVER, CHROM DIED, LET`S PLAY FIRE EMBLEM 6! :D

No, but seriously, you kill him. However, you black out and wake up in a field, Chrom and Lissa watching your awakening (did you see what i did there). You can`t remember your own name, and you know you`ve met Chrom before. But well, you don`t know for sure, so you can`t really say anything to him. You become good friends with Chrom, become one of the Shepherds, but you always have that feeling something bad might happen to Chrom...

Amazing gameplay, amazing cutscenes, and amazing characters. Add a beautiful score on top that, and Fire Emblem Awakening is born. Fire Emblem Awakening is a gem, a reason to buy a 3DS, AND one of my favorite games of all time. Nice job, Intelligent Systems. Nice freaking job. The only reason why it`s not a 10 is because nothing is perfect. Except for Wind Waker. And other Zelda games. I`ll just shut up now.
  73. Aug 9, 2013
    The best game I've found for the DS to date. Wonderful from start to finish. Easy to pick up, challenging end game, and fun side battles in between. As a bonus for some of us, it takes great advantage of the XL screen(s). 2 thumbs up.
  74. Jan 28, 2014
    This is THE best 3DS game, and I don't know what could take over.

It has an intriguing story, great characters, fun tactical/action game play, a great relationship system, great difficulty, and great visuals/music to entertain you!

If you own a 3DS, you MUST buy this game.
  75. Dec 5, 2013
    FE:Awakening will have you hooked. I neglected school work after purchasing it because the story drove me to have 4-5 hour binges. It is by far the best game on the 3DS because it appeals to so many different genres. The difficulty modes are perfect and even normal difficulty will have you carefully planning out your moves. Nothing feels gimmicky and animations are smooth.

I don't know

I don't know why you are still reading this review. You should be buying this game instead.
  76. May 2, 2014
    This game is beyond perfect and my personal favorite it's an 11 out of 10. On top of it's breath-taking graphics, amazing gameplay , perfected mechanics, and tons of variety and replayability, the game's story and characters are so well-written, it outclasses even the best animes and movies out there. It's one thing for a game just to be a masterpiece in one aspect like the Legend ofThis game is beyond perfect and my personal favorite it's an 11 out of 10. On top of it's breath-taking graphics, amazing gameplay , perfected mechanics, and tons of variety and replayability, the game's story and characters are so well-written, it outclasses even the best animes and movies out there. It's one thing for a game just to be a masterpiece in one aspect like the Legend of Zelda, but Fire Emblem Awakening is a masterpiece in many, that's why I consider this game the best game ever. Expand
  77. May 18, 2014
    Best in the series. The game has a great mix of features and characters, leaving you a lot to do and lots of tactics to explore. The story is fairly interesting. There is DLC available, both free and paid.
  78. Jun 14, 2014
    This game is truly amazing. After playing Marth in Super Smash Bros. I wanted to see what the games where like, then I bought Fire Emblem Awakening and it quickly became not only one of my favorite Nintendo games but also became one of my favorite games of all time. Me and my brother took a big risk buying a new game from a series new to us but we were both amazed at the great animateThis game is truly amazing. After playing Marth in Super Smash Bros. I wanted to see what the games where like, then I bought Fire Emblem Awakening and it quickly became not only one of my favorite Nintendo games but also became one of my favorite games of all time. Me and my brother took a big risk buying a new game from a series new to us but we were both amazed at the great animate cut-scenes and intuitive game play. This game gets a 10/10 and a Pick It Up As Soon As Possible medal Expand
  79. Nov 1, 2014
    Lunatic is broken and unplayable.
    Lunatic is broken and unplayable.
    That's the only complaint. Aside from that, Hard difficulty is the perfect level of challenge for anyone interested in Fire Emblem. A delight for newcomers who are curious about strategy games, and a huge amount of evolution and innovation to impress FE veterans. The "Pair Up" system completely flips the old paradigm on its head. Rescues are gone, and that probably is for the best; it didn't really make sense.
    The music has always been perfect in Fire Emblem, and this entry is no different. So many songs just stay in your head and make you well up with some truly intense emotions.

The story is solid too, although some plot points are well-worn, they're handled with enough earnest weight to make them matter and to keep the player from rolling their eyes. Also, this is one of the greatest localizations, period. Bar none.

Now for some nitpicks. The character models look a bit strange (seriously... look at their FEET. So tiny!), and some characters are annoying, which is practically a first for the serious. I personally detested Severa and Sumia. Severa's just unpleasant and Sumia seems a bit cliched (Oh, the clumsy girl with a good heart...).
  80. Mar 22, 2015
    9/10 simply amazing
    -interesting story about dragons and future
    -great tactical gameplay and interesting mission
    -classic mode (man i lost 2 unit from this)
    -lovable character with their unique story
    -coupling system where you can get your party member to marry, and have their children to join you

ps: lucina-tan moe >/////
  81. Aug 21, 2015
    Excelente juego, simplemente la musica, jugabilidad, personajes, armas son el centro en esta obra de arte. Si tienes una 3ds este es uno de los juegos que no deben faltar en tu colección.
  82. Mar 7, 2016
    the best ever made ​​fire emblem , free and paid dlcs , but very complete and with many characters experience the perfect game fire emblem.........
  83. Feb 17, 2016
    The game is utterly fantastic, I wasn't a Fire Emblem fan before but after playing this I've done 2 complete runs and a good half of another. It's a really welcoming game to those who have never played a Fire Emblem before I got it for my friend and he loves the Support conversation a lot. I can't recommend it enough.
  84. Jun 2, 2016
    Amazing, Creative Story, Nice difficulty, Characters that can be easily remembered, Great Gameplay, Nice Graphics for the 3ds, I could go on forever, Thus i give Awakening a 10
  85. Feb 21, 2013
    Probably one of the best Fire Emblem games to grace American shores to date with enough feature options (like turning perm-death off) to appease even the holdouts that believe the series to be too hard for their tastes. I was unable to put down my 3DS sans to sleep after receiving the game and I'm already planning second and third playthoughs so the replay value is very high.
  86. Oct 20, 2014
    This is just the best 3ds game I have ever played, it was my first Fire Emblem title, so I did not know what to expect, but a friend told me that past titles were extremely good, so I tried it. And OH MY GOD it was good, I liked it even more than Brevely Default, and I can´t stop replaying it.
    The gameplay is awesome, in the line of previous titles (I have bought them too and are playing them now), the story is serious, sad and fun at times, and the graphics are the absolute best of 3ds.
    I will just add that the 3d effect in this game is astonishing, probably one of the best made 3d´s I have seen since Mario.
  87. Feb 4, 2013
    Been a good game to me so far. I say this since I am normally terrible at grid based strategy games. Fire Emblem Awakening caters to my casual intensity with a mode just for the risk adverse personalities. My primary role in playing any game is for the sake of a story. Fire Emblem Awakening opens that up with a casual mode nobody dies and breaks your heart.

Add on top of that a class

Add on top of that a class switching system, a customized player character, a StreetPass system that adds a random battle element, and romance-able characters: amazing!

Class switching is a little difficult since it requires a level 10 character and the purchase of some rather expensive materials. But I am in the early parts of the game.

Also, it gets kind of hard to get two characters to hookup if there is a level discrepancy. Relationships are fostered in large part by supporting characters in battle. If one character is basically useless, they become an impediment and not worth the stray resource that could have been occupied by someone with some battle merit.

Overall, this game is pretty sweet and a welcomed experience.
  88. Feb 11, 2013
    Amazingly addictive in every way!!! Nintendo has somehow crammed enough content to fit 2 console games or 300 iphone app games!!! This game has easily reached first place as a must buy for any 3ds owner or hardcore player.
  89. Mar 4, 2013
    This game is just amazing and probably the best portable game I've played in a while. If you thinking of getting a 3DS, get it. If your not getting a 3DS, well your just missing out. This game is perfect for people who are just starting out with it's casual mode or for the hardcore fans that have been there from the beginning. The game offers some new features like creating your ownThis game is just amazing and probably the best portable game I've played in a while. If you thinking of getting a 3DS, get it. If your not getting a 3DS, well your just missing out. This game is perfect for people who are just starting out with it's casual mode or for the hardcore fans that have been there from the beginning. The game offers some new features like creating your own character to the new and improved support system that let units marry(But don't be too creepy). The gameplay follows what has been done since the first one on the GBA, you start off with a small army and you lead them to kill bandits, zombies, etc. By the end of the game, you will have a god army. Now in this game, there is an open map and you can grind your way to the top with side quest and challenges just like Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones. Overall, I really don't know why you still haven't picked up this game. Oh yeah, DONELL IS THE BEST UNIT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  90. Mar 13, 2013
    On a platform with very little solid titles this game in and of itself has justified my purchase of the 3DS system. I have never seen the 3D feature used as elegantly as in Fire Emblem: Awakening, nor with such grace. The gameplay is just what you'd expect from a Fire Emblem game excellent. However, they add a few new features to the mix, which after some experimentation, I felt reallyOn a platform with very little solid titles this game in and of itself has justified my purchase of the 3DS system. I have never seen the 3D feature used as elegantly as in Fire Emblem: Awakening, nor with such grace. The gameplay is just what you'd expect from a Fire Emblem game excellent. However, they add a few new features to the mix, which after some experimentation, I felt really complemented the core feature set. The only complaint I have is that there is no archive of support conversations so if you want to read the dialogue between characters once more, you will need to either watch it on youtube or earn it again on a new saved file. Expand
  91. Mar 23, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, actually that is an understatement. This was the first time I played a Fire Emblem game and can't wait till the next installment, hopefully we get more Fire Emblem games out here in the west. My first play through I had no idea what I was doing, the second time I enjoyed the game even more.
  92. Apr 19, 2013
    Amazing game. The relationships, the gameplay, the graphics.. It was quite some time ago since such a good game was released. Polished to perfection. If you like turnbased strategy, this is a nobrainer.
  93. Apr 30, 2013
    This is not only one of the best games on the 3ds, but right up there with one of the best games i've ever played. It gives you great characters, amazing gameplay, a story that keep you interested, and much more. the DLC for the game is good for the price you get them at. The only problem I have with this game is there are parts that give you a choice during cut scenes but they reallyThis is not only one of the best games on the 3ds, but right up there with one of the best games i've ever played. It gives you great characters, amazing gameplay, a story that keep you interested, and much more. the DLC for the game is good for the price you get them at. The only problem I have with this game is there are parts that give you a choice during cut scenes but they really don't do anything for the story as far as I can tell. Overall though this is fantastic, now excuse me i'm on my 4th play through Expand
  94. May 4, 2013
    One of my favorite things about Fire Emblem: Awakening, is that it adds several new features that make the game even better, without changing the feel of the game. The thing with these changes is, if you wanted to, you could completely ignore them and not use the new features at all, and it would still be a great game.

It is also great to see some DLC, although this can also be

It is also great to see some DLC, although this can also be completely ignored with NO consequences, it just acts as a bit of an optional aftergame.
  95. Jun 4, 2013
    I began playing Fire Emblem with the GBA titles, and this title has lived up to its previous titles. A great game, which will make you want to play it over and over again. There is just so much to do that a simple playthrough won't be enough for you to experience what this title has to offer.
  96. Oct 1, 2013
    I am really impressed with the graphic, especially the field weather effects. I have other fire emblem series game experience but personally didn't really like the game system but this awakening is really great with option choosing between classic and casual mode. The only problem and why I cannot give this game score 10 is the voice. It would be even better if it had more voice in theI am really impressed with the graphic, especially the field weather effects. I have other fire emblem series game experience but personally didn't really like the game system but this awakening is really great with option choosing between classic and casual mode. The only problem and why I cannot give this game score 10 is the voice. It would be even better if it had more voice in the dialogue but this part, I don't really care since it still has quite acceptable amount of voice. But the problem is the voice bug where the voice language setting keeps going back to the default (English) whenever user soft-reset or restart the game. I have to change it to English once and back to Japanese every time I start the game. Why I am really upset is because of the fact that they are aware of this bug and still no plan for a patch no matter how it is not only annoying but also very dangerous since the voice language select menu is located right next to "WIPE DATA" menu. Expand
  97. Aug 20, 2013
    This game is Amazing, Hands down it is the best 3DS game out there, if you have a 3DS and don't have this game, get it, NOW. Almost everything about this game is perfect, The animation, the writing the strategy, and the basic but complicated game-play is so much fun. Every character has their own little quirk that makes them interesting and because of this every character felt unique,This game is Amazing, Hands down it is the best 3DS game out there, if you have a 3DS and don't have this game, get it, NOW. Almost everything about this game is perfect, The animation, the writing the strategy, and the basic but complicated game-play is so much fun. Every character has their own little quirk that makes them interesting and because of this every character felt unique, there were never any characters that felt unnecessary in the game. One part that I found quite surprising was the story, most JRPG stories are convoluted and usually don't make any sense, but fire emblem's story is pretty basic (Storyline is essentially Kill the evil king, slay the dragon and collect the magical gems to power your MacGuffin) however a big twist in the story right around the Half-Way point (Don't worry I won't ruin it for you) helps keep you entertained by it, this game also features some story telling elements that aren't normally done in fantasy. Basically in the end I personally love every thing about this game, the only problem I had was wondering how Nintendo and Intelligent Systems will top themselves next time, it seems like they put all their ideas and thoughts into this game and I really hope that they don't run out of ideas before the next game in the series. Expand
  98. Sep 5, 2013
    This is my first Fire Emblem game, and let me say its brilliant.
    One of the best games i played in a long time. Gameplay, game lenght, storyline, content, artwork, animations, music, create in my opinion a masterpiece.
    This is my first Fire Emblem game, and let me say its brilliant.
    I really enjoy suffer with every chapter in hard mode. Its really frustrating when you lost a character and you have to restart all the mission, but that feeling make you think on a good strategy, and i simply love that.
    Hours and hours and hours of gameplay, content, DLC, and streetpass battles will allow you to enjoy this game for a very long time. A "Must Have" game for every 3DS owner.
  99. Sep 19, 2013
    OUNSTANDING!!! not only one of the best fire emblem games but one of the best RPG´s ever made a masterpiece and a must have if you own a 3DS
    a game with true soul
  100. Nov 6, 2013
    I've played the Fire Emblem franchise since its debut in Japan, and I've never loved a FE title as much as Awakening. Excellent strategy combat, combined with meaningful dialogue and some of the best in game music I've ever heard, completes this game. The addition of marriage brings a new flair to Awakening, as you can toy around with skills the 2nd generation character receives. AndI've played the Fire Emblem franchise since its debut in Japan, and I've never loved a FE title as much as Awakening. Excellent strategy combat, combined with meaningful dialogue and some of the best in game music I've ever heard, completes this game. The addition of marriage brings a new flair to Awakening, as you can toy around with skills the 2nd generation character receives. And creating myself as a character was something I'd always wanted to do in game. Simply a top class game, and the best Fire Emblem title ever by far. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 13, 2013
    A truly excellent tactical role-playing game. [June 2013]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Jun 10, 2013
    Ignore Casual mode, set the difficulty to hard, and enjoy what is arguably the best turn-based strategy game released since Final Fantasy Tactics. [July 2013, p.76]
  3. May 19, 2013
    A great turn-based strategy game surpassing not only its blood-related predecessors but step-brothers and step-sisters of the Advance Wars series as well. Fire Emblem: Awakening is the new benchmark of the genre that is practically uncriticizable. At the moment on Nintendo 3DS there is not a better alternative.