Fire Emblem: Awakening 3DS

9.1

1. Feb 5, 2013
    Simply amazing. Presentation, menus, graphics, gameplay, music and more, this game has it all. I love the sleek new look that they have given everything and the gameplay has gone through a great new reboot. This game is incredibly addicting and doesn't cease to please any hardcore strategy RPG fan. I recommend playing on classic hard mode for your first playthrough, I wouldn't recommendSimply amazing. Presentation, menus, graphics, gameplay, music and more, this game has it all. I love the sleek new look that they have given everything and the gameplay has gone through a great new reboot. This game is incredibly addicting and doesn't cease to please any hardcore strategy RPG fan. I recommend playing on classic hard mode for your first playthrough, I wouldn't recommend doing casual mode unless that's your thing I guess. All in all, get this game if you have a 3DS. Expand
  2. Feb 4, 2013
    Great graphics with multiple art styles and a voice acting 2nd only to kid icarus It has the same formula as all the fire emblems you come to love but gives you the choice to play on easy mode so beginners to the franchise can first get used to it then can play it harder, it even receives some great crafted dlc and wireless co-op mode to make t on of the greatest games in the 3ds library,Great graphics with multiple art styles and a voice acting 2nd only to kid icarus It has the same formula as all the fire emblems you come to love but gives you the choice to play on easy mode so beginners to the franchise can first get used to it then can play it harder, it even receives some great crafted dlc and wireless co-op mode to make t on of the greatest games in the 3ds library, that's allot to say considering you have mario 3d land and kid icarus. Expand
  3. Feb 4, 2013
    Easily a goty contender and it's portable! Get it now... It is everything that is fine in a srpg and so much more. Excelent in every aspect, from character development to graphics...
  4. Nov 9, 2014
    This is probably one of the best games I've ever played in my life.
    This is probably one of the best games I've ever played in my life.
    This was my introduction to the Fire Emblem series and i'm impressed. You can really feel all the effort the developers put in this game. The music, the story, the gameplay, everything in this game is great. You really care about those characters and what happens to them. The relationship system is also great. It develops the characters and improves the game play. This mixed with the class system give this game great replay value. The soundtrack is fantastic. I was actually blown away by some of the music in the game. But keep in mind, this is not a game for everyone. It's a strategy RPG so the action is not the most important. It requires patience and thought. Even before I bought it I thought I wasn't gonna like. So keep an open mind about it. For me, it is the best game on 3DS right now and I think everyone should give it a shot.
  5. Nov 1, 2013
    With out a doubt, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. There is absolutely nothing else to say here.
  6. Feb 4, 2013
    Been a good game to me so far. I say this since I am normally terrible at grid based strategy games. Fire Emblem Awakening caters to my casual intensity with a mode just for the risk adverse personalities. My primary role in playing any game is for the sake of a story. Fire Emblem Awakening opens that up with a casual mode nobody dies and breaks your heart.

Add on top of that a class

Add on top of that a class switching system, a customized player character, a StreetPass system that adds a random battle element, and romance-able characters: amazing!

Class switching is a little difficult since it requires a level 10 character and the purchase of some rather expensive materials. But I am in the early parts of the game.

Also, it gets kind of hard to get two characters to hookup if there is a level discrepancy. Relationships are fostered in large part by supporting characters in battle. If one character is basically useless, they become an impediment and not worth the stray resource that could have been occupied by someone with some battle merit.

Overall, this game is pretty sweet and a welcomed experience.
  7. Feb 5, 2013
    if you don't like turn based strategy games (valkirya chronicles, ghost recon shadow wars) then read no further, this game isn't for you. other than that, there's not a single negative I can give this game. the turn based strategy system in this game is the best I've ever used. seriously. there is so much to this game it is ridiculous. there are an endless amount of ways to approach eachif you don't like turn based strategy games (valkirya chronicles, ghost recon shadow wars) then read no further, this game isn't for you. other than that, there's not a single negative I can give this game. the turn based strategy system in this game is the best I've ever used. seriously. there is so much to this game it is ridiculous. there are an endless amount of ways to approach each battle and decisions you make in battle will affect your characters and even the story in meaningful ways. if you have a tendency of pairing two ppl up in battle then you can also harness their relationship outside of battle through conversations. also, in classic mode (the way the game is meant to be played) character deaths are permanent and any story branches pertaining to that character and their actions will be gone. this is real decision making (spare me your conversational choose-your-own-adventure BS). the character building system is also very deep. you can level your characters, find dropped weapons for them to use, craft weapons to make them better, forge relationships and even switch their classes. I could go on for hours about this game's amazing depth but that's not what a review is supposed to be about. the last thing I would like to touch on is the graphics. the cut scenes are truly breathtaking and the 3D effects work beautifully. the actual in game graphics are the standard 3DS fare and are more than "good enough" to portray the action. the overall attention to detail and the varied environments make the game a pleasure to look at. the story and characters are all top notch and very engaging. in summary, if you are a turn based strategy fan then you should have bought this game yesterday. if you don't already own a 3DS/3DSXL then go buy the bundle NOW. Expand
  8. Jun 1, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening does everything right. Well everything that matters anyway. It is deep and stylish yet accessible and streamlined. All the characters are like-able and when one dies in battle it is genuinely heart wrenching in a way that X-Com Enemy Unknown wasn't.

The only criticism I have is that there are too many talking heads with dialogue boxes and not enough cut scenes with voice acting. You can skip the dialogue with one press of the start button when all the talking get's too boring and the load times are none existent but the cut scenes are of such a high standard it is a pity they weren't used more to tell the story.

In Summary FE Awakening is the best strategy RPG I have ever played and the best reason to own a 3DS.
  9. Feb 7, 2013
    Finally, the game everyone's been waiting for! Though most are still impatiently waiting (due to shipping issues), some have proceeded to download the digital copy and immediately thanked themselves, among other unspeakable things. This is definitely the much needed scratch for the strategist's itch. From the intuitive battle system, beautiful music scores and masterfully writtenFinally, the game everyone's been waiting for! Though most are still impatiently waiting (due to shipping issues), some have proceeded to download the digital copy and immediately thanked themselves, among other unspeakable things. This is definitely the much needed scratch for the strategist's itch. From the intuitive battle system, beautiful music scores and masterfully written dialogue, this game is easily another must have for anyone even slightly interested in the genre. The battles have never been more intense, as you've never felt more of a connection with the characters. Each characters flowing with personality. Some charming, some annoying, some lovable, and ALL capable of being turned into cannon fodder, should you let your guard down (or if you're conspiring). Top it all off with enthused, well spoken voice overs that never overstep their purpose and vivid cut scene videos that never fail to impress. All in all, this game is a MUST HAVE for anyone seeking to exercise wit and is even tailored to newcomers in the new Classic mode. I'm slightly bummed out at the limitations of online mode. Should a DLC for online battles be released, I'd change my score to a perfect 10. I highly recommend picking this one up, even if you're slightly interested. I know a couple of people who recently purchased the 3ds for this game alone, if that tells you anything. "9 out of 10" plasticEGO Expand
  10. Feb 4, 2013
    Easily the best game to date in the 3DS, a game that sets the tone for what's to come for the 3DS as the successor of the "king of rpgs" the DS... Go buy it now, you won't be disappointed.
  11. Feb 4, 2013
    The best Fire Emblem game to date. The graphics are top notch and the 3D is very well implemented. Voice acting is great, even the English dub. Gameplay is the best it's ever been with the addition of the new support and tag systems. Character interactions and support conversations are the best in the series and the revived marriage system is just delightful and adds lots of choice andThe best Fire Emblem game to date. The graphics are top notch and the 3D is very well implemented. Voice acting is great, even the English dub. Gameplay is the best it's ever been with the addition of the new support and tag systems. Character interactions and support conversations are the best in the series and the revived marriage system is just delightful and adds lots of choice and depth to gameplay. The best Fire Emblem and 3DS game yet. Great for either series veterans or newcomers, with it's various difficulty options and even various menu options to support player preference. Expand
  12. Feb 4, 2013
    Sem duvida não podemos negar que e um dos melhores games do 3DS...
    Não existe como negar!
    Tudo esta equilibrado, consegue ser difícil, mas mantem a os modos originais que consagraram a franquia.
    Sem duvidas esse game merece 10/10!
  13. Feb 5, 2013
    The Fire Emblem you enjoy and loved now only better with awesome improvements. The characters and the story are engaging and well though, the battle system are improved with the Marriage and a much better Support system. The localization was superb, VAs fits the dialogue well, and man do I need to mention the awesome graphics that comes with different art styles? The gorgeous pixel arts.The Fire Emblem you enjoy and loved now only better with awesome improvements. The characters and the story are engaging and well though, the battle system are improved with the Marriage and a much better Support system. The localization was superb, VAs fits the dialogue well, and man do I need to mention the awesome graphics that comes with different art styles? The gorgeous pixel arts. Story, gameplay and graphics. This game is solid. Expand
  14. Mar 4, 2013
    This game is just amazing and probably the best portable game I've played in a while. If you thinking of getting a 3DS, get it. If your not getting a 3DS, well your just missing out. This game is perfect for people who are just starting out with it's casual mode or for the hardcore fans that have been there from the beginning. The game offers some new features like creating your ownThis game is just amazing and probably the best portable game I've played in a while. If you thinking of getting a 3DS, get it. If your not getting a 3DS, well your just missing out. This game is perfect for people who are just starting out with it's casual mode or for the hardcore fans that have been there from the beginning. The game offers some new features like creating your own character to the new and improved support system that let units marry(But don't be too creepy). The gameplay follows what has been done since the first one on the GBA, you start off with a small army and you lead them to kill bandits, zombies, etc. By the end of the game, you will have a god army. Now in this game, there is an open map and you can grind your way to the top with side quest and challenges just like Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones. Overall, I really don't know why you still haven't picked up this game. Oh yeah, DONELL IS THE BEST UNIT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  15. Feb 5, 2013
    A very good reason to buy a 3DS. The best way to bring newcomers into the franchise with an easy mode that is optional. It takes away the option of permadeath in the game and allows the gamer to proceed the story without worry of an important death in the squad. CGI cutscenes bring the entire story together into a cohesive blend of action gameplay and a great story to back it up. Free DayA very good reason to buy a 3DS. The best way to bring newcomers into the franchise with an easy mode that is optional. It takes away the option of permadeath in the game and allows the gamer to proceed the story without worry of an important death in the squad. CGI cutscenes bring the entire story together into a cohesive blend of action gameplay and a great story to back it up. Free Day 1 DLC brings a favorite character of the franchise with more DLC to come in the future. Totally worth the $40 and a new 3DS. Expand
  16. Feb 5, 2013
    This game is awesome. It has everything I expected from it and a little more. I've played other FE games but never finished them. I love the fact that there is DLC. Cause I hate when games go longer than they should have ruining he story.
    Well, it's time to keep playing.
  17. Feb 5, 2013
    great game.its fun,challenging,and very satisfying.story is engaging with chracters you care about,lots of customization,has good graphics and level design,controls are great,and music is one of the better soundtracks from a video game ive heard in awhile.a game that tests your brain rather than kill things mindlessly and that what i like about it the most. even after i finished the gamegreat game.its fun,challenging,and very satisfying.story is engaging with chracters you care about,lots of customization,has good graphics and level design,controls are great,and music is one of the better soundtracks from a video game ive heard in awhile.a game that tests your brain rather than kill things mindlessly and that what i like about it the most. even after i finished the game i still want to go back and play it, its that good. a game worth $40 and one of the best 3ds titles to date. Expand
  18. Mar 14, 2013
    I never played a single Fire Emblem game before and the last tactical RPG I played was Pokemon Conquest which I found AWFUL. Since Shin Megumi Tensei is planning a crossover with Fire Emblem, I decided to give the Fire Emblem franchise a try. Fire Emblem: Awakening satisfied my tactical RPG itch. I love how the gameplay kept my attention. I felt I was being rewarded for any efforts I madeI never played a single Fire Emblem game before and the last tactical RPG I played was Pokemon Conquest which I found AWFUL. Since Shin Megumi Tensei is planning a crossover with Fire Emblem, I decided to give the Fire Emblem franchise a try. Fire Emblem: Awakening satisfied my tactical RPG itch. I love how the gameplay kept my attention. I felt I was being rewarded for any efforts I made on level-grinding, weapon upgrading, and actually stopping to THINK before heading into battle. Almost all the battles didn't seem outright unfair and you can win them all if you're prepared. Any losses that occurred I can blame only myself rather than the game. The DLC and bonus contents are worthwhile and gives ample opportunities to hone your skills. Especially since you can recruit characters from past games to fight alongside you. (Having Sigrun in my ranks saved me SO many times!!)

The art style is beautiful and this is so far the only game I want to play in 3D the whole time. I wish however more attention was given to the hair on some of the 3D models. I personally don't think hair going thru clothes and people is acceptable anymore considering the budget this game must have had.

I can't give it 10 for two somewhat petty reasons: the story and the use of voice actors.

The main story while a 1000% better than Pokemon Conquest which had nothing...the story in Awakening is kinda generic and predictable. Typical RPG plot points with no real surprises to speak of. They make up for a little bit with the relationship conversations where a character's motives and backgrounds are fleshed out and with that, the story writers have the ability to inject a lot more humor. However at the end of the day...the main story is still weak and lackluster. Not awful but not great.

As for the second reason, the voice actors for the game are very good but their talents are wasted on cliche grunts and catchphrases. It's understandable during combat since you can it turn off...but why? Why are they making those noises in the cut scenes and conversations as well instead having the voice actor speaking what is on the text bubble? Don't tell me there is no room on the game for that. If Shin Megumi Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked can add voice acting to every line in their game, so can Fire Emblem.

Overall, this is still a must have in your 3DS library. The gameplay mechanics alone is enough of a reason to play this game. BUY IT!!
  19. Feb 14, 2013
    This is my very first review on a game and on metacritic. Fire Emblem: Awakening is a must-have game for 3DS owners everywhere. This game has lots of content built into it and the DLCs that are still coming just makes it even more worth it.
    The characters are awesome, they have very unique personalities, and it's very enjoyable making supports with every character which brings out their personalities and help the players understand them more, especially your avatar.
    The story is simply epic to behold. The story takes place thousands of years after Shadow Dragon, but rarely makes references to it so you can say it's a new game in its own right instead of calling it a sequel. I don't want to give off spoilers, but you can read other reviews and they mostly, if not all, say it's great.
    There are over 40 classes that exists in the game. You can reclass to many other classes to unlock new skills with your avatar, but some are limited in reclassing, but it shouldn't bother most people much.
    The gameplay keeps the traditional feel of past Fire Emblem games except for the newly added Dual System which helps characters pair up and fight against other enemies together for more advantages. So, in a way, it feels "new" from my standpoint because I still haven't fully grasped its full potential. There are many ways to use it that it'll blow your mind.
    This game is flowing with content and you'll keep playing it for a very long time.
    I know it seems like I didn't explain everything most of the time, but I'm not very good at reviews and I'm making this review for Fire Emblem: Awakening because of how much it impacted me to just let it all out and try and express how great the game is. Again, it's a really great game to have in your 3DS library and you'll have a great time with it like I have and many others.
  20. Feb 16, 2013
    This game is absolutely art. It has 2 key features that change a great Fire Emblem into a PERFECT fire emblem
    Re playable Maps and Option for non permanent death.
    Never before have I felt so emotionally invested in characters from a video game, Except maybe Kingdom Hearts.. The mechanics to this game where absolutely perfectly well done. I cannot WAIT to play all the loads of
    Re playable Maps and Option for non permanent death.

The mechanics to this game where absolutely perfectly well done.

I cannot WAIT to play all the loads of DLC yet to come!

The DLC is bringing back some of my favorite characters from old games. Karel, Hector, Marth, Ike, and many MANY more.

This is easily in the top 10, if not top 5 of my favorite games of all time.
  21. Feb 23, 2013
    I've been a long time user of metacritic, yet never had the desire to create an account. Having said that alone is a sure indication of how brilliant I feel this game is. I also haven't owned a nintendo product since SNES, but I already feel this system is gonna pay for itself with this game alone. This game is putt my fanboyism to rest, and is a much needed from the shovelware circusI've been a long time user of metacritic, yet never had the desire to create an account. Having said that alone is a sure indication of how brilliant I feel this game is. I also haven't owned a nintendo product since SNES, but I already feel this system is gonna pay for itself with this game alone. This game is putt my fanboyism to rest, and is a much needed from the shovelware circus that is modern gaming. Why are you still reading? See for yourself. Expand
  22. May 6, 2013
    Fire Emblem: Awakening is one of the best reasons to own a 3DS at the moment, There is a surprising amount of depth here for a handheld game and this is easily one of the best experiences you can find on the Nintendo 3DS at the moment. The story is interesting with some nice twists and the game also has some of the most interesting and fun characters to interact with in a long time, theFire Emblem: Awakening is one of the best reasons to own a 3DS at the moment, There is a surprising amount of depth here for a handheld game and this is easily one of the best experiences you can find on the Nintendo 3DS at the moment. The story is interesting with some nice twists and the game also has some of the most interesting and fun characters to interact with in a long time, the game will last a solid 20-25 hours on a basic runthrough of the story alone but if you add in the fact that there is loads of side content, character development to explore and tons of ongoing DLC support for the game you can easily double, if not triple that gametime.

The gameplay is a turn based strategy RPG where you move your characters on a battlefield from a top-down perspective and defeat your enemies by positioning your characters in ways to get the advantage over enemies, for one example if you position two characters next to each other they will support each other in battle with provides bonuses to stuff like defense, attack and other things and also improves those two characters relationships that can lead to fleshing out those characters more.

There is two modes for playing this game... Classic mode makes it so that if a character dies on the battlefield they will die permanently and you will lose them unless you reload a save, This makes the game very challenging but it also adds to the tension of the experience since every move counts. There is also the Casual mode which turns off perma-death so characters that die will come back at the end of that particular battle, Whether you play Classic or Casual you will find an enjoyable experience, Just make sure you pick the right one for you when you start the game. There is also 3 different difficulties to the game which you can choose from. With all these varying difficulties that will add up the possible amount of time you can play this for as well.

The graphics were quite nice for 3DS but I didn't feel they were amazing personally, but nonetheless they are not bad. The CG Cutscenes for this game are absolutely gorgeous however.

You get to create your own character to use in the game which I think is a first for Fire Emblem if I remember correctly. the character creation options have a fair bit of depth so you can feel like you have a lot of choice on how your character is designed.

There is a very deep leveling up system in the game where you can change upgrade classes and also switch classes of characters which can lead to interesting and powerful characters. There is also some other features in the game that add to the depth like Marriage among other things.

There is a great amount of downloadable content support for this game so far which is nice to see on 3DS.

Overall Fire Emblem Awakening is one of the best games you can find on the Nintendo 3DS, It's definitely got the most depth of any 3DS game on the market so far. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has a 3DS or is looking for a game to make them jump into the 3DS.
  23. Mar 23, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, actually that is an understatement. This was the first time I played a Fire Emblem game and can't wait till the next installment, hopefully we get more Fire Emblem games out here in the west. My first play through I had no idea what I was doing, the second time I enjoyed the game even more.
  24. Jun 22, 2013
    I don't often give 10/10 for games yet this one really does deserve it.
    I don't often give 10/10 for games yet this one really does deserve it.
    I'm a fan of Pokemon and other 'standard' RPGs but like some people get bored with the 'grind'. This just doesn't feel like grind at all. Strong story, character development and genuine team/character customisation makes this very addictive. DLC means that there is new content (some free) every Thursday and many maps to keep people happy...

I'm on my second playthrough and have put around 50 hours into this game in total. The replay value is excellent and the difficulty curve is manageable.

This game is by far the best Fire Emblem I've played and BY FAR the best 3DS game released so far. Move over Mario, your time is up!
  25. May 21, 2013
    Brilliant game. The graphics are awesome for a handheld console and the Japanese art styles for the different characters are beautiful to look at. Gameplay is amazing and I don't think I have ever played such a great SRPG, the storyline is extremely interesting and you'll be talking to everyone who has it about your different character marriages and relationships. The DLC is paid yes, butBrilliant game. The graphics are awesome for a handheld console and the Japanese art styles for the different characters are beautiful to look at. Gameplay is amazing and I don't think I have ever played such a great SRPG, the storyline is extremely interesting and you'll be talking to everyone who has it about your different character marriages and relationships. The DLC is paid yes, but really entertaining and the support conversations in the game can be hilarious. One of my favourite games ever and definitely 100% deserves this year's GOTY award. Expand
  26. Jun 4, 2013
    I began playing Fire Emblem with the GBA titles, and this title has lived up to its previous titles. A great game, which will make you want to play it over and over again. There is just so much to do that a simple playthrough won't be enough for you to experience what this title has to offer.
  27. Jun 29, 2013
    Fire Emblem Awakening, a great game i have been wanting for a while. And 19th of April, or February 4th, if you live in the United States, it finally arrived. It exceeded my expectations. And my expectations were that it would be one of my favorite games ever.

Fire Emblem Awakening`s gameplay is only one of the things that make it such a gem, but it is splendid. The main focus of Fire Emblem Awakening`s gameplay is turmbased strategy. In the game, you pick characters which you want to use in battles first, and then you start the fight. The game`s fighting cutscenes are beautiful. They truly show what the 3DS is made of. They way that the fighting works is this; you move a character to a opponent`s spot so you can attack it. In battle, you`ll have 3 numbers on your bottom screen. Atk is how much damage you will deal to an enemy. Hit is your (sort of) accuracy. The higher the better. Crit is your crit chance. This is also, the higher, the better.

General things are one of the better aspects of the game in comparison with other Fire Emblem games. One of those is character customisation. The ability to totally make your own character from scratch even with a by yourself chosen voice is really fun, although they could have made that a little bit better.

Straying off of the character customisation, let's take a look at the CG cutscense of this game. These are rendered fully in 3D, with a Anime-like style. It's insanely awesome. The voice acting that comes with it enhances it, too. Which leads us to the characters. Man, what are those memorable. You have Chrom, the noble leader of the Shepherds, a force trying to help the county of Ylisse, and hte Shepherds themselves. Every character has different dialogues and backstory, which adds for an amzing game.

Also, carried over from the first 12 games, you have the fact that if a character gets defeated, they`ll be gone FOREVER. This is one of the things that makes the franchise great for me. But in this one, you have two options. Classic Mode, is what i just explained to you, but Casual Mode, makes your allies only defeated, and not dead. This makes the game WAY easier to pick up for casual players. You also have difficulties in this game, which makes it even easier to pick up, but also a challenge for veterans. For myself, i don`t see the fun in casual, or the lowerst difficulty. But all these things make Fire Emblem Awakening the amazing game that it is.

Okay, i feel like a broken recordplayer, but this is one of the things that makes this game great. You start in a mission which seems random; you just control the character you made, and Chrom. You beat up one bad guy, and than the mission is over. You think. The bad guy fires a ball thing at Chrom, and you push him aside, sacrificing yourself. Chrom survives, but YOU become evil and kill Chrom.

DONE, GAME IS OVER, CHROM DIED, LET`S PLAY FIRE EMBLEM 6! :D

No, but seriously, you kill him. However, you black out and wake up in a field, Chrom and Lissa watching your awakening (did you see what i did there). You can`t remember your own name, and you know you`ve met Chrom before. But well, you don`t know for sure, so you can`t really say anything to him. You become good friends with Chrom, become one of the Shepherds, but you always have that feeling something bad might happen to Chrom...

Amazing gameplay, amazing cutscenes, and amazing characters. Add a beautiful score on top that, and Fire Emblem Awakening is born. Fire Emblem Awakening is a gem, a reason to buy a 3DS, AND one of my favorite games of all time. Nice job, Intelligent Systems. Nice freaking job. The only reason why it`s not a 10 is because nothing is perfect. Except for Wind Waker. And other Zelda games. I`ll just shut up now.
  28. Jul 17, 2013
    I've given this a 10 because it's so much fun, in terms of design and execution it's probably a 9. In all seriousness though the 3DS stellar library has another amazing game. I'm a big fan of SRPGs so this was right up my street, it may not convert many people but if you like this sort of thing it's a must buy!
  29. Oct 25, 2014
    Awakening has proven to be a very divisive game amongst the Fire Emblem fanbase. Players new to the series seem to appreciate many of the new features that have been added, while series vets find that their presence has come at the cost of other key components such as mission variety, map design, and balance.

Ultimately, whether or not you will enjoy this title is dependent very much on

Ultimately, whether or not you will enjoy this title is dependent very much on your own expectations. If you're less familiar with SPRGs, or if you prefer a more open-ended take on the genre a la Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics, then you'll find plenty to enjoy here. If you are a long time fan of Fire Emblem, however, you will likely be let down by what's on offer in Awakening. Personally, as a new player to the series myself, and with a minimal history in the genre (about 8 hours of Valkyria Chronicles), I found the Pair Up features to be somewhat distracting in a way that seemed to undermine the core of the game.

It's worth pointing out what this game does well aside from its gameplay. The level of polish and amount of content is terrific, the 3D cutscenes are stunning, and the potential for replay-ability is certainly high. I found the story, and some of the characters, to be pretty bland.

It's hard to call Fire Emblem: Awakening a bad game, but it may be a disappointment to long-time fans.
  30. Dec 23, 2013
    Literally the best game I have ever played. My favorite game of all time. If you like strategy RPG games you are in for a serious treat. Great Graphics, Great combat, Great character build-up, and Great Plotline! That is all I can really say.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 13, 2013
    A truly excellent tactical role-playing game. [June 2013]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Jun 10, 2013
    Ignore Casual mode, set the difficulty to hard, and enjoy what is arguably the best turn-based strategy game released since Final Fantasy Tactics. [July 2013, p.76]
  3. May 19, 2013
    A great turn-based strategy game surpassing not only its blood-related predecessors but step-brothers and step-sisters of the Advance Wars series as well. Fire Emblem: Awakening is the new benchmark of the genre that is practically uncriticizable. At the moment on Nintendo 3DS there is not a better alternative.